Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2023 3:45 PM
May 2023
But instead of focusing and explaining their lore which was actually interesting, they decided to leave plotholes unanswered and made a boring ass compilation of Teenagers screaming about their mommy issues and insecurities with constant flashbangs

Makes 0 fucking sense that you needed to search up the lore and the show doesn’t tell you anything
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 11, 2023 3:52 PM
Aug 2021
bro didn't watch evangelion ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Sep 11, 2023 3:54 PM
Jan 2022
Whatever you say, it will still be part of a lot of people's childhood.
Sep 11, 2023 3:54 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Issax28 said:
But instead of focusing and explaining their lore which was actually interesting, they decided to leave plotholes unanswered and made a boring ass compilation of Teenagers screaming about their mommy issues and insecurities with constant flashbangs

Makes 0 fucking sense that you needed to search up the lore and the show doesn’t tell you anything

I think you do not understand what the show is supposed to be about.

It is not about the mwchas, it is not about the world, it is not about the war, it is about the characters and their mental traumas. The director had depression really bad when he created this, and it shows quite a lot.

You can go watch the films, though, as they have more to do with the lore and world building rather than the characters.

Tl;Dr NGE is a character study, not a mecha show.
Sep 11, 2023 3:57 PM

Jun 2023
I smell bait in here

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
Sep 11, 2023 3:58 PM
May 2023
Reversign said:

See that’s what I call nostalgia bias
Sep 11, 2023 3:59 PM
Jan 2020
Issax28 said:

Yep I agree. There’s so much that was left on the table. And I get that people felt Evangelion helped them emotionally, or that people have nostalgia for this anime, but exploring the lore is a separate thing - a thing that was handled very poorly.
Sep 11, 2023 4:02 PM
May 2023
ErogakiPatches said:
Issax28 said:

It is not about the mwchas, it is not about the world, it is not about the war, it is about the characters and their mental traumas. The director had depression really bad when he created this, and it shows quite a lot.

You can go watch the films, though, as they have more to do with the lore and world building rather than the characters.

Mental trauma is the most boring overused trope to make shows look “deep”

Sure, maybe it’s just my opinion.

But just because a show’s focus is on characters, it doesn’t mean they should just be able to get away with writing a shit story that was unanswered with many plotholes
Sep 11, 2023 4:17 PM

Jan 2023
k, its not for you then
i read sappy yuri & sol comedy; im the lowest of the low
Sep 11, 2023 4:20 PM
May 2021
Opinion is absolutely trash wtf, yh I can tell u don’t understand the show fckn kid.
Sep 11, 2023 4:36 PM
Jan 2021
Issax28 said:
ErogakiPatches said:

But just because a show’s focus is on characters, it doesn’t mean they should just be able to get away with writing a shit story that was unanswered with many plotholes

you're the type of guy to watch perfect blue and complain that you couldn't tell what was going on๐Ÿ˜ญ

I guess you don't like psychological shows, it's not any more overdone than "Mecha" genre. especially in 1995. Having a confusing world when the focus is on the characters doesn't mean it's bad writing unless the characters and actions are poorly written. Again refer to Perfect Blue, or Enemy. If those are too confusing to you since they aren't physical enough with enough certain lore than that is just a preference issue not a writing issue
Sep 11, 2023 4:45 PM
Dec 2020
You gave a higher rating to AoT season 1 than seasons 2, 3 p1 and 4. You just like simple shows, and that's not bad, but don't pretend that your taste being different makes one of the best pieces of fiction of all times trash
Sep 11, 2023 4:51 PM
May 2023
SoulessAnime said:
Issax28 said:

you're the type of guy to watch perfect blue and complain that you couldn't tell what was going on๐Ÿ˜ญ

I guess you don't like psychological shows, it's not any more overdone than "Mecha" genre. especially in 1995. Having a confusing world when the focus is on the characters doesn't mean it's bad writing unless the characters and actions are poorly written. Again refer to Perfect Blue, or Enemy. If those are too confusing to you since they aren't physical enough with enough certain lore than that is just a preference issue not a writing issue

“Having a confusing world doesn’t mean it’s bad writing”

LMAO are you even reading what you’re typing?

Having Characters that are “deep” according to you still doesn’t excuse the fact that the whole story is poorly written and not even explained properly.

Based on your logic you might as well just watch a screaming/trauma dumping compilation of the characters since you claim the world building and plot isn’t important
Sep 11, 2023 4:52 PM
Apr 2017
Name a single "plot hole".
Sep 11, 2023 4:59 PM
May 2023
Paharo05 said:
You gave a higher rating to AoT season 1 than seasons 2, 3 p1 and 4. You just like simple shows, and that's not bad, but don't pretend that your taste being different makes one of the best pieces of fiction of all times trash

You are a perfect depiction of a Eva fan

They will sit there watching a show with completely incoherent story, then echo amongst each other about how their taste is superior and “deep” because their all their characters do is scream 24/7 about trauma/insecurities and that is peak writing of a character

Then when asked about the actual plot and world building of the show, they will tell you that it doesn’t matter. Because their characters have trauma, and having trauma and constantly screaming about it means your character is well written
Sep 11, 2023 5:00 PM
Dec 2020
Issax28 said:
Paharo05 said:

They will sit there watching a show with completely incoherent story, then echo amongst each other about how their taste is superior and “deep” because their all their characters do is scream 24/7 about trauma/insecurities and that is peak writing of a character

Then when asked about the actual plot and world building of the show, they will tell you that it doesn’t matter. Because their characters have trauma, and having trauma and constantly screaming about it means your character is well written

I didn't say your taste is bad or inferior, I said it's not wrong. What's actually terrible is your ability to understand that disliking something isn't equal to it being bad

But now, as you're working really hard into baiting people to do it, I'm actually going to talk about how trashy your taste is

Shinji as a character is better written than Mushoku Tensei as a whole, and you rating it as a 10/10 while giving completely average ratings to almost everything is the biggest reason I have to believe that's a bait account
Paharo05Sep 11, 2023 5:04 PM
Sep 11, 2023 5:03 PM

Jun 2021
lol it's not the show's fault your basic ass is too focused on the lore or whatever rather than the characters, symbolism, themes
Sep 11, 2023 5:06 PM

Apr 2020
I love how everyone who watched more than like 20 Show's in their Lifetime instantly becomes an expert on storytelling, writing and plot-developement aswell xD

Evangelion is like one of the LEGENDS of the Community, you know^^ to say it *had* potential....oof
True. It doesn't really explain a lot of the stuff ....but you chose the most douchy way to adress that, possible, my dude.
Sep 11, 2023 5:11 PM
Jan 2022
SoulessAnime said:
Issax28 said:

Great breakdown of the themes. It’s 100% characters informing the plot.
Sep 11, 2023 5:13 PM
May 2023
Paharo05 said:
Issax28 said:

I didn't say your taste is bad or inferior, I said it's not wrong. What's actually terrible is your ability to understand that disliking something isn't equal to it being bad

But now, as you're working really hard into baiting people to do it, I'm actually going to talk about how trashy your taste is

Shinji as a character is better written than Mushoku Tensei as a whole, and you rating it as a 10/10 while giving completely average ratings to almost everything is the biggest reason I have to believe that's a bait account

Funny how all you can do is talk about the characters while completely ignoring my point on how dogshit and incoherent the storytelling is

But hurr durr character screams about his daddy issues so he is well written and the story being shit doesn’t matter!
Issax28Sep 11, 2023 5:30 PM
Sep 11, 2023 5:15 PM
May 2020
You gotta remember, Hideaki Anno was going through a rough time in his life when making this, too. There’s videos on YT and numerous articles that explain and deconstruct this. If you research Anno, you’ll have a better understanding of why things in Evangelion were done they way they were and why this anime had such a massive impact on Japans pop culture.
Sep 11, 2023 5:32 PM
Oct 2020
Issax28 said:

lil bro just forgor the whole plot after finished it โ˜ ๏ธ
Sep 11, 2023 6:19 PM
Jan 2021
Issax28 said:
SoulessAnime said:

Having Characters that are “deep” according to you still doesn’t excuse the fact that the whole story is poorly written and not even explained properly.

Based on your logic you might as well just watch a screaming/trauma dumping compilation of the characters since you claim the world building and plot isn’t important

again, watch Perfect Blue, Enemy, Madoka Magica, Black Swan, Us, Inside Llewyn Davis, even Death Parade (my favourite anime), or It Follows (although that one actually is trash). Those are all character focused things (besides It Follows which is just a dumb analogy). You are following a character or characters and learning about them, not completely understanding the physical world around them, because they don't either. Their inner turmoil is what you're following

Hell even something like Akudama Drive would make you upset if you care about not enough lore. It has so much worldbuilding, but it's for you to read into and given boring exposition, because the main focus is the plot and characters growth. Imagine how much more boring Evangelion would be if half the episodes were just characters explaining what an angel was and who did what. I don't even care for Evangelion, but it is not poorly written just because it tells a story about characters instead of giant robots fighting monsters
SoulessAnimeSep 11, 2023 7:42 PM
Sep 11, 2023 6:41 PM
Dec 2021
what is bluddette yappin about ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Sep 11, 2023 7:24 PM
Sep 2018
Bro don't get evangelion ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Sep 11, 2023 7:26 PM
Mar 2022
Issax28 said:

you missed the point lol ๐Ÿ˜†
Sep 11, 2023 7:28 PM
Mar 2022
SoulessAnime said:
Issax28 said:

have you seen lain texhnolyze haibane renmei mawaru penguindrum or flcl yet? all similar shows that hit that confusing psych spot
Sep 11, 2023 7:32 PM

Feb 2010
I watched it late at night and I think that's the ideal way because it's less about the reality and more about emotion

If you go in expecting Gundam it'll be a bad time but if you approach it like it's akin to Utena then I think it's easier to appreciate
Sep 11, 2023 7:40 PM
Jan 2021
PeeBeeBoi said:
SoulessAnime said:

have you seen lain texhnolyze haibane renmei mawaru penguindrum or flcl yet? all similar shows that hit that confusing psych spot

I haven't yet since I really need to be in the right mood to watch fucked up psychological shows. Definitely planning on watch Peguindrum and FLCL eventually though. I'd like to check out Lain eventually as well. Possibly the other two, dark shows are just much harder for me to watch than they used to be and in general I don't binge anime like I used to
Sep 11, 2023 7:41 PM
Mar 2022
Here's a great 20 min video that explains the Eva lore in a way that's pretty understandable,

I understand your complaints w the lore it should have more of an in depth explanation in the show, but I think Anno was more focused on showing the characters struggles, their emotions, as well as their imperfections. So the lore really doesn't matter to me all that much, and I didn't care when it wasn't all explained in the end. Both the original series and End of evangelion have fantastic endings and are beautiful pieces of work. The lore is cool and all, but NGE was more about the experience for me.

https://youtu.be/E5gVDDpviKo?si=bpheenhmo5ig3xMi
sethshielSep 11, 2023 7:52 PM
Sep 11, 2023 7:42 PM
Mar 2022
SoulessAnime said:
PeeBeeBoi said:

I haven't yet since I really need to be in the right mood to watch fucked up psychological shows. Definitely planning on watch Peguindrum and FLCL eventually though. I'd like to check out Lain eventually as well. Possibly the other two, dark shows are just much harder for me to watch than they used to be and in general I don't binge anime like I used to

haibane renmei and flcl are pretty lighthearted compared to the rest. might be a good jumping off point. Texhnolyze is by the far the most fucked one
Sep 11, 2023 7:49 PM
Jan 2021
PeeBeeBoi said:
SoulessAnime said:

haibane renmei and flcl are pretty lighthearted compared to the rest. might be a good jumping off point. Texhnolyze is by the far the most fucked one

I'll add that to Penguindrum, Lain, and FLCL on the list of shows I'll probably watch then. Probably won't watch texhnolyze based on that, but there's always a chance I get alright with dark shows again, maybe after some therapy๐Ÿ˜‚
like I love what I saw of Wonder Egg Priority, and know I would've loved finishing it back in 10th grade... but I wasn't able to get past episode two about a year ago cuz it was just too fucked up for me even though it was so good
Sep 11, 2023 7:52 PM
Mar 2022
SoulessAnime said:
PeeBeeBoi said:

I'll add that to Penguindrum, Lain, and FLCL on the list of shows I'll probably watch then. Probably won't watch texhnolyze based on that, but there's always a chance I get alright with dark shows again, maybe after some therapy๐Ÿ˜‚
like I love what I saw of Wonder Egg Priority, and know I would've loved finishing it back in 10th grade... but I wasn't able to get past episode two about a year ago cuz it was just too fucked up for me even though it was so good

I can watch just about anything no matter my mood luckily, I watched azumanga daioh and texhnolyze back to back lol
Sep 11, 2023 8:38 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Reply to Issax28
ErogakiPatches said:
Issax28 said:

@Issax28 Mental trauma is something that most people deal with on a daily basis, not something that is "overused or boring", as you put it. Again, the director, Hideaki Anno, had depression when he created the show and thus put his feelings into it, and into Shinji. I am not sure if you have never suffered extreme depression like what he, or I for that matter, have but NGE portrays it extremely well. A lot of what Asuka and Shinji say during the show are things I have also thought at one point, and I can tell that Anno-senpai also thought this way otherwise he would never have put that in there.

The show also deals with suicide, identity crisis, abandonment issues, neglect, family issues, death, loneliness, bullying, self-hate, etc. All these themes are handled with care and grace and resonate with a lot of people, which is why it is so popular to begin with. I have a feeling you may just not like shows like this, or even understand it. Which is fine, have whatever opinion you want.
Now, if you wish to talk about shows that overuse these types of themes without saying much about it at all, or just use it as fetish material/edgy material, then I can name a few such as Mahou Shoujo Site, Jigoku Shojo at times, Talentless Nana, Elfen Lied, Future Diary, Redo of Healer, King's Game (Anime), Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, and Pupa. Those are all shows that do not deal with these themes well at all, or just use them as edge material.

How is the story "shit"? What makes it that way to you? Did you understand the story, or understand what the story was actually about? Have you ever read, or watched the film, Stand by Me? The story does not center on a world or some grand adventures, it is about growing up, family issues, mental traumas, and friendship, among many other things. The story is not centered on some big thing like, say, Stranger Things, and instead focuses on the characters and their journey and the ways they change, with the epilogue showcasing how much they changed when they got older, or how they did not change. On the flip side, IT (Both of these novels are by Stephen King if you could not tell) has quite a large story but ultimately, yet again, has to do with the characters and their journey from childhood to adulthood and everything it entails, along with all their traumas.

I think perhaps you may not understand what the story was about, or why Anno-senpai created it.

Furthermore, what plot holes are you referring to? Also, did you finish NGE, and if so, did you watch The End of Evangelion?
Sep 11, 2023 8:41 PM

Dec 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
Issax28 said:

second this. NGE was never about teens in giant robots, fight against weird creatures. It is about their characters, its evolution and evaluation through the phases of mental instability and depression.

"๐‘ฐ๐’‡ ๐’‚๐’๐’š๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ, ๐‘ฐ ๐’˜๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐’•๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’๐’๐’† ๐’˜๐’‰๐’ ๐’Œ๐’๐’๐’˜๐’” ๐’˜๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’”๐’‰๐’† ๐’˜๐’‚๐’๐’•๐’” ๐’•๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’†, ๐’๐’“ ๐’Œ๐’๐’๐’˜๐’” ๐’˜๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’”๐’‰๐’† ๐’๐’Š๐’Œ๐’†๐’”, ๐‘ฐ ๐’ˆ๐’–๐’†๐’”๐’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 ใ€‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ 4:47
โ†บ |โ— II โ–ท| โ™ก

Sep 11, 2023 8:52 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Reply to SoulessAnime
PeeBeeBoi said:
SoulessAnime said:

@SoulessAnime Just to add to your list, if you wish... Belladonna of Sadness (Weird one so fair warning and you may hate the "animation" of it), Paranoia Agent (All of Satoshi Kon-senpai's works are great), Angel's Egg (Have to understand biblical themes to understand this), and Aoi Bungaku Series (At least watch the "No Longer Human" arc. This show is about literature from Japan and the backstory behind them).

Also, please watch Shiki and Odd Taxi. Neither of these is really psychological, but I want more people to enjoy them. Also, watch the OVA/movie for Odd Taxi after the series; you only need to watch the last, like, 20 minutes of the Odd Taxi film as the majority of it is just filler.

Edit: Forgot to mention Girl's Last Tour manga, if you have not read it.
Sep 11, 2023 8:55 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Reply to Chronon
ErogakiPatches said:
Issax28 said:

second this. NGE was never about teens in giant robots, fight against weird creatures. It is about their characters, its evolution and evaluation through the phases of mental instability and depression.
@Chronon I had a friend who said that NGE was a bad mecha anime. Had to explain to him that it was not a mecha anime and was a subversion of the mecha genre, the same way that Madoka Magica is a subversion of the magical shoujo genre.
Sep 11, 2023 8:55 PM

Apr 2022
completely missed the point and you're blaming the show for your own incompetence, that's hilarious.
Sep 11, 2023 8:56 PM
Nov 2021
bro thought he was watching marvel๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Sep 11, 2023 9:05 PM
Jan 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
@SoulessAnime Just to add to your list, if you wish... Belladonna of Sadness (Weird one so fair warning and you may hate the "animation" of it), Paranoia Agent (All of Satoshi Kon-senpai's works are great), Angel's Egg (Have to understand biblical themes to understand this), and Aoi Bungaku Series (At least watch the "No Longer Human" arc. This show is about literature from Japan and the backstory behind them).

Also, please watch Shiki and Odd Taxi. Neither of these is really psychological, but I want more people to enjoy them. Also, watch the OVA/movie for Odd Taxi after the series; you only need to watch the last, like, 20 minutes of the Odd Taxi film as the majority of it is just filler.

Edit: Forgot to mention Girl's Last Tour manga, if you have not read it.

Yeah I'll add those, I've actually had Angel's Egg on my Letterboxed watchlist for forever so thanks for reminding me to add it here๐Ÿ˜‚ And I'm 100% going to watch Odd Taxi, I actually was excited for it when it first started releasing but never got around to watching it so that's another great reminder. Shiki I've also had there for a while and definitely want to watch

but yeah I'll add the others as well
Sep 11, 2023 9:05 PM
Jan 2021
Dude just fa cough ! Why don't y'all Jokers understand that a trash opinion should be limited to yourself .
Sep 11, 2023 9:29 PM
Jun 2019
Issax28 said:
SoulessAnime said:

well this show was screaming/trauma dumping of the director. Hideaki Anno was really depressed when hevwas working on it. He started writing it as a normal story, but then started writing just his thoughts and incorporated it into the story.
Sep 11, 2023 9:37 PM
Apr 2022
Reversign said:

I don't know man. anyone who says it was their childhood must have had a terrible childhood. it's more of a depression classic.
Sep 11, 2023 9:40 PM
Apr 2022
Issax28 said:

you are not depressed enough for it.
Sep 11, 2023 10:29 PM

Aug 2022
Or maybe you shouldn't have gone in expecting a generic sci-fi setting and plot for an avant-garde, psychological show which made it clear what the main focus of it was in the first few episodes...
Sep 11, 2023 11:38 PM

Aug 2018
So true, I have same opinion.

It would have had a lot of potential if it was with adult cast and focusing on story and not on stupid cringe kids evey fkn episode being so stupid and cringe.

Even Pokemon is better than this show.
Sep 11, 2023 11:51 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to Paharo05
@Paharo05
You just like simple shows, and that's not bad, but don't pretend that your taste being different makes one of the best pieces of fiction of all times trash

Say the guy who didn't watch Texnolyze, Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiment Lain which in my opinion are top 3 psychological anime.

And yes NGE sucks, is full of cringe every episode.
Sep 12, 2023 12:11 AM
Apr 2023
Issax28 said:

I totally agree, all these comments saying u didnt watch evangelion are just purely bias.
the depression phase of the anime just ruined it all for me tbh.
loved the storyline, but when it changed and knew that shinji was gay somehow, it was just meh
Sep 12, 2023 12:42 AM
Feb 2021
Issax28 said:

People when they don’t get spoonfed dumb plot explanations:
Sep 12, 2023 12:42 AM
Feb 2015
it’s one of my top anime of all time and I honestly understand. but also, I like how vague the lore is and how it’s kept in the background. it’s hard to explain, but I liked researching the everything myself, and knowing it without it being explained in the anime is an interesting feeling. the show is atmospheric and emotional and discovering the vast lore between watches felt intimate. that’s how I feel, but I also get the potential for more lore exploration.
\(O^O)/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
May 16, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.