Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2023 6:41 AM
Apr 2022
I seen/heard many people always praising Cowboy Bebop’s dub so very much because they think that it’s the only anime dub that is better than the original Japanese version. Even after it aired in the late 90s-early 2000s, it was still being praised for it’s high quality dub. So why do people overpraised Cowboy Bebop’s dub so positively?
funtime43_trSep 10, 2023 6:25 AM
Sep 8, 2023 6:47 AM
Jan 2021
Because it is. A lot of dubs at that time really sucked in comparison. I’m pretty sure the producer of the anime said that the dub was better than the sub too.

I think there are plenty of dubs better than the original though.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 8, 2023 6:48 AM
Mar 2020
funtime43_tr said:
I seen/heard many people always praising Cowboy Bebop’s dub so very much because they think that it’s the only anime dub that is better than the original Japanese version. Even after it aired in the late 90s-early 2000s, it was still being praised for it’s high quality dub. So why do people overhyped Cowboy Bebop’s dub so positively?

Because it is one of the best dubs out there even after 30 something years. The answer is pretty obvious.
Sep 8, 2023 6:52 AM
Jun 2021
funtime43_tr said:
I seen/heard many people always praising Cowboy Bebop’s dub so very much because they think that it’s the only anime dub that is better than the original Japanese version. Even after it aired in the late 90s-early 2000s, it was still being praised for it’s high quality dub. So why do people overhyped Cowboy Bebop’s dub so positively?

Because it deserves it
Easily among the top 10 dubbed anime series of all time along with other candidates like Death Note, etc.
Sep 8, 2023 6:58 AM
Sep 2017
Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Berserk all have very good dubs. But the only anime I know, where the dub is straight up preferable is FLCL. It can't be beaten.
Sep 8, 2023 7:01 AM
Mar 2019
Watanabe said it's good, so a lot of people just says it after him IMO. It's fine, nothing great, I still prefer original Japanese dub.
Sep 8, 2023 7:52 AM
Mar 2022
official_brown said:
Because it is. A lot of dubs at that time really sucked in comparison. I’m pretty sure the producer of the anime said that the dub was better than the sub too.

That is a myth. Watannabe prefers the original cast, because he hand picked them. And whether it’s better than the original is debatable.
Sep 8, 2023 7:54 AM
Jan 2021
MovieDogg said:
official_brown said:

That is a myth. Watannabe prefers the original cast, because he hand picked them. And whether it’s better than the original is debatable.

Even if that is true. The dub for most people fits better. There are many dubs better than the subs.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 8, 2023 7:58 AM
Mar 2022
official_brown said:
MovieDogg said:

Even if that is true. The dub for most people fits better. There are many dubs better than the subs.

There might be better dubs for the foreign audience like Yu Yu Hakusho, and arguably Cowboy Bebop, but I don’t think that necessarily means that it’s better overall.
Sep 8, 2023 8:01 AM
Jan 2021
MovieDogg said:
official_brown said:

There might be better dubs for the foreign audience like Yu Yu Hakusho, and arguably Cowboy Bebop, but I don’t think that necessarily means that it’s better overall.

I mean, yeah. It’s subjective. I just think too many people hate on dubs. The VA can give a character a completely new feeling to it or maybe more of a personality unlike their JP or EN counterpart.
Sep 8, 2023 8:02 AM
Jul 2023
Because it's good, and dubs usually are not
Sep 8, 2023 8:26 AM
Jul 2021
Because Cowboy Bebop has a great dub.
I still prefer the sub in almost every case tho.
Sep 8, 2023 8:30 AM

Apr 2020
They don't. It's just high quality, regardless of what you think about it.
Sep 8, 2023 8:39 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
Are you saying this cuz you watched it and don’t think it’s that good? That’s the only way calling it overhyped would make sense.
Sep 8, 2023 8:51 AM
Dec 2021
funtime43_tr said:

Hey, LET IT COOK, for old times sake, for new fans
Sep 8, 2023 9:29 AM
Feb 2019
From my perspective, it’s because it changed the the landscape for all dubs to come after
Sep 8, 2023 9:39 AM
May 2022
I prefer the sub, but the English voice actors are still great—enough so that I prefer their work in the movie
Sep 8, 2023 9:59 AM
Aug 2022
it's simple plus everyone here already said it. For its time, the dub was amazing. Not a lot of anime had that. That's another reason why it was well received in the West.
Sep 8, 2023 10:49 AM

Jul 2021
The dub is amazing and it deserves all the praise it gets.

Sep 8, 2023 11:04 AM
Jun 2021
It’s not so impressive nowadays, but back when it came out it was huge. You know when you hear a bad dub or a phoned it in dub. But Bebop you can tell the voice actors got into the roles. Plus it wasn’t a shonen so being able to voice adults properly with mature themes barely ever happened back then. Still doesn’t happen much now tbh
Sep 8, 2023 11:10 AM
May 2023
Fakorrfuck said:
You zoomers should stop using words that you don't understand their meaning. Overhyped is completely the wrong word to use here.

kick rocks old man this is a place for young people
Sep 8, 2023 11:15 AM
Jun 2021
Fakorrfuck said:
@Sagepool

CB dub is still impressive today that's why it's considered one of the best dubs ever made. And there are shonen anime with adulat characters and mature themes, like Ashita no joe or Hokuto no Ken.

I’d say its as good or better than some modern dubs, which being from the 90s is insane. And ya those are shonen with poor dubs, but great mature themes. You usually don’t get both
Sep 8, 2023 1:25 PM
Jun 2022
Because it’s good
Sep 8, 2023 2:25 PM
Dec 2016
Eh, how is it overhyped when all that most people are saying is that it's "one of the best dubs of all time" (which it kinda is, right? are there really that many dubs which we can confidently say is better than Bebop's?)

When people ask to watch Bebop's dub over the sub, it's usually only because - on top of it being pretty great - the English dialogue, as well as voice acting really SUITS the Space Western SETTING, jazz soundtrack, characters named Faye Valentine, Julia, Jet Black, Radical Edward etc, especially with its many old Hollywood noir & gangster movie influences - NOT because the dub is undoubtedly better than the sub, or whatever.

Most other English dubs has a certain over-the-top voice acting that makes it seem childish, harder to take seriously, etc. Bebop's English dialogue & voice acting is on the level of any great American tv show's. What more could you possibly want from it?
Sep 8, 2023 4:53 PM

Dec 2021
The English VA deserves the hype. Phenomenal dub
Have a wonderful day!
Sep 8, 2023 5:42 PM
Apr 2016
I think it was considered the exceptions for the time and has stood as one of the better dubs
Sep 9, 2023 12:24 AM
Nov 2015
Because the dub is decent.
Sep 9, 2023 1:21 AM
Sep 2022
It is a pretty good dub. And this is considered a good dub because every other dubnin general is just trash. this, samurai champloo (a better dub) and ghost stories (there is no watching sub on it) are the only ones that i can enjoy in dub.

I've heard love is war and konosuba are good dubs but cba lol. if you hear other dubs and go back to bebop you'll recognise the quality. imo you don't really need to but whatever. +watch how you want to enjoy it, unless you a dub fan lmao.
Sep 9, 2023 10:59 PM
Dec 2015
It's not overhyped.
Sep 10, 2023 2:48 PM
Apr 2021
It's not overhyped since it's genuinely great.
Sep 10, 2023 4:20 PM
Mar 2022
Arjun_Manoj said:
Eh, how is it overhyped when all that most people are saying is that it's "one of the best dubs of all time" (which it kinda is, right? are there really that many dubs which we can confidently say is better than Bebop's?)

When people ask to watch Bebop's dub over the sub, it's usually only because - on top of it being pretty great - the English dialogue, as well as voice acting really SUITS the Space Western SETTING, jazz soundtrack, characters named Faye Valentine, Julia, Jet Black, Radical Edward etc, especially with its many old Hollywood noir & gangster movie influences - NOT because the dub is undoubtedly better than the sub, or whatever.

Most other English dubs has a certain over-the-top voice acting that makes it seem childish, harder to take seriously, etc. Bebop's English dialogue & voice acting is on the level of any great American tv show's. What more could you possibly want from it?

It’s not a western setting, it’s a multicultural setting. The language of the work doesn’t really matter. People just like it because the acting is enjoyable.
Sep 12, 2023 3:22 PM
Jul 2023
cowboy bebop and lain have pretty good dubs ngl
Sep 26, 2023 4:00 AM
Jan 2021
Because they’re doing voices that fit the character not imitate a different language and sound corny. Spike is perfect to his character

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

626 by Mirrow »»
May 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

123 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

207 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:11 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FighterZ - May 2, 2008

133 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

132 by RioFS »»
Apr 26, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.