Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 10, 2023 9:56 AM
Jan 2021
Deane said:
DarkLight9616 said:

Being in a game world does not change the fact that it is Science fiction storytelling first and foremost. Further, isekai is mostly associated with, reincarnation, summoning, portal and or transferred. Even though there is some trapped work, such as Overlord, that can be used as a comparison to Sword Art Online season one. I believe that they are very distinctive because in Overlord they do not know if they are trapped or transferred into the gaming world or a different world with a similar concept to the game.

Whereas, in Sword Art Online from day one they're aware of where they are, because they went there, of their own accord. Plus, they are specifically told the reason why they are trapped, and what they should do to be free. Which is very much uncommon in isekai works. But, I do understand why season one would debatable.

Disclaimer: I have not read the Overlord light novels, all my knowledge of it comes from the anime adaptation. Therefore, I do not if they have revealed further information about, why they are there, or where they are.

In advance, I fail to see where in any of my paragraphs, I have stated that season one incorporates the concept of human will. However, if you wish for an example of a broader view of the human will, that can be seen in season one. I would give you the players' determination and willingness to complete the game to return to the real world. Despite, knowing the fact that they could die by trying to complete it.

To better illustrate my point while also using Overlord as an example - what if at the end of Overlord Ainz was able to leave the game somehow? Even if they learned "why they are trapped" and "what they should do to be free", I'd argue that it would still be an isekai regardless. At this point it's just a matter of definitions, and whether you consider "trapped in a game world" stories to be isekai.

Here's what you said in your previous reply to another user regarding the concept of human will in SAO:
It seems that your lack of understanding of Sword Art Online has clouded your Judgment of understanding what each story is trying to teach. Even if in the grand scheme both display the concept of human will and oppression.
("both" in this case refers to One Piece and SAO)

This comment is what made me ask that question; I've watched the first two seasons of SAO, but I failed to see any meaningful exploration of the concept of human will. I suppose the players' determination to complete the game despite the risk of death (as you mentioned) could be an example, but I wouldn't say it's meaningful enough to mention it as something the "story is trying to teach". I'd argue the story isn't really trying to teach much at all, and it's rather just an entertaining story.

Yeah, just like you said, isekai can be a matter of definition. However, the main difference is that in Overlord Ainz, as I am aware, Ainz does not know anything at the moment. And, neither if there is a possibility that he will be free and return to his world, and of how long has he been there. is there a possibility that someone is taking care of his body? Because in SAO their real-life body condition was just as important as their in-game ones for their existence.

Further, Even if Ainz was to be free and able to return to his world. I think, and based on my knowledge from other isekai, I believe that he as Ainz Ooal Gown, not Suzuki Satoru will be able to find a way to return to his past world. This would be very similar to that of slime and smartphone isekai. Whereas sword art online is very similar to that of other Sci-fi series that have people that also live in the Internet world, such as Pyscho-pass and Ghost in the Shell, they are all aware of their circumstances and existence.

For Pyscho-pass, I might be remembering wrong, but I believe that there was a scene, where they had to go into an undercover mission in a disco, inside the network. Which, was a separate, but still connected world to the real world, just like how the VR/AR in Sword Art Online are still dependent on the real world.

In the concept of human will. At first, I was talking about Sword Art Online as a whole not just the season one, plus including One Piece. However, If you have watched sword art online up to season two, then it would be right for me to believe, that you must also have noticed other demonstrations of the concept of human will. For example, the Yuuki way of life and survival, Kirito's determination and willingness to save Asuna, Sugou's ways of treatment of human life, and Sinon's view of life and the GGO death game itself. This could also be applied to Sword Art Online season one, they all teach the importance of one's life, and how it should be respected and treated.
DarkLight9616Jul 10, 2023 9:59 AM
Jul 10, 2023 11:14 AM
Apr 2021
Ashok_Kumar said:
So, I have noticed that the members kept declining whenever new season comes out in respect of previous season.

Check This๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡
1) Sword Art Online - 2,961,271 members
2) Sword Art Online ll - 1,908,548 members (35.55% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
3) Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale - 701,480 members (63.25% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
4) Sword Art Online: Alicization - 996,350 members (42.04% rise)๐Ÿ“ˆ
5) Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld - 719,884 members (27.75% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
6) Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season - 576,930 members (19.86% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
7) Sword Art Online the Movie: Progressive - Aria of a Starless Night - 232,492 members (59.70% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
8) Sword Art Online the Movie: Progressive - Scherzo of Deep Night - 92,739 members (60.11% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
9) Sword Art Online (Original Movie) - 25,489 members (72.52% decline)๐Ÿ“‰

So can anyone please explain "why members kept declining?"

SAO franchise is seriously underrated, I know it has many flaws but so has other animes.
I just don't understand people saying to beginner anime watchers to avoid SAO, I mean this Anime actually made me a vivid anime watcher, and the beauty of SAO lies that it gets better by each arc and the story of arc of Alicization is it's finest. I would be back for another season or so and advice anime watchers to give this anime a chance, who knows maybe you wwill come to like it.
Jul 10, 2023 12:22 PM
May 2023
many people stopped this at the starting of Alicization but those who find it interesting, watched it well if look at myself i stopped it after 5-6 episodes of Alicization but when i resume it after 3days it was totally change the plot changed Kirito start working with blond hair guy ( eugeo) maybe
Jul 10, 2023 12:33 PM

Jan 2023
Anime that have multiple seasons like SAO will tend to lose viewers every season since many people either don’t continue watching after a point in time or simply because they aren’t aware of new content like Ordinal Scale and Aria of a Starless Night.

My personal experience, I stopped watching SAO after the Alicization Arc, believing it to have concluded until as of last month when I noticed the newer movies, picking it up again. This is how it was for me, but I’m sure everyone else has a different experience in comparison.
Jul 10, 2023 12:37 PM
Jan 2021
Deane said:
DarkLight9616 said:

Yeah, just like you said, isekai can be a matter of definition. However, the main difference is that in Overlord Ainz, as I am aware, Ainz does not know anything at the moment. And, neither if there is a possibility that he will be free and return to his world, and of how long has he been there. is there a possibility that someone is taking care of his body? Because in SAO their real-life body condition was just as important as their in-game ones for their existence.

Further, Even if Ainz was to be free and able to return to his world. I think, and based on my knowledge from other isekai, I believe that he as Ainz Ooal Gown, not Suzuki Satoru will be able to find a way to return to his past world. This would be very similar to that of slime and smartphone isekai. Whereas sword art online is very similar to that of other Sci-fi series that have people that also live in the Internet world, such as Pyscho-pass and Ghost in the Shell, they are all aware of their circumstances and existence.

For Pyscho-pass, I might be remembering wrong, but I believe that there was a scene, where they had to go into an undercover mission in a disco, inside the network. Which, was a separate, but still connected world to the real world, just like how the VR/AR in Sword Art Online are still dependent on the real world.

In the concept of human will. At first, I was talking about Sword Art Online as a whole not just the season one, plus including One Piece. However, If you have watched sword art online up to season two, then it would be right for me to believe, that you must also have noticed other demonstrations of the concept of human will. For example, the Yuuki way of life and survival, Kirito's determination and willingness to save Asuna, Sugou's ways of treatment of human life, and Sinon's view of life and the GGO death game itself. This could also be applied to Sword Art Online season one, they all teach the importance of one's life, and how it should be respected and treated.
You might be misunderstanding things; the concept of human will isn't related to the importance of human life at all, it is solely regarding decision-making and free will. And so, those examples aren't really related to human will (and even then, it doesn't seem to be something "the story is trying to teach"). Still, let's leave this part of the discussion behind.

And again regarding Overlord, whether it's an isekai or not doesn't depend on whether he can get back or whether his original body is safe. Whether it is a literal new world or just a "game world" doesn't matter either - Log Horizon is an isekai and it's clearly still a game, for instance. Whether they are in the same body or not also doesn't matter - GATE is widely considered to be an isekai, but they're always in the same bodies and they can go back and forth between worlds as they please. It's also not fair to decide if they're an isekai based on how much focus is on the "real" world - the anime "I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too" is considered to be an isekai and it's a story with a game-like world they can go and return as they please, but the story is equally focused on the real world and the parallel world.

But I can 100% see your point. SAO did inspire a lot of isekais with it's tropes and concepts so it doesn't feel right to exclude it from the picture completely, but I could settle for it being a semi-isekai or such.

In the end, I suppose the only conclusion we can take is that the only way to know without a shadow of a doubt that an anime is an isekai is if the story is marketed as such.
Note: I skipped your paragraph on Psycho-Pass because I haven't watched it yet and I want to go in completely blind when I do watch it.

But, well, I'm kinda done talking about this so I'm gonna step out of this discussion. As a silver lining, I might give Alicization a try someday (even though I didn't enjoy the first 2 seasons). Have a nice day ^^

And, Decision-making and free will, are widely evident in Sword Art Online season one as kayaba akihiko removed them from the option of how to live their lives freely. Plus, Yuuki's and Sinon's conditions and situations are also an example of free will, which also leads to the importance of human life.

Regarding Overlord, Log Horizon, Gate, and Cheat skills isekai. All the worlds where the story takes place are independent of the real world, whereas in Sword Art Online and other Sci-fi series. The real world still has a greater influence and decision on the fate of the virtual world's existence. Meaning, if the real world ceases from existing, so is the virtual world too, but the virtual world's existence does not affect the real world.

However, I do agree that it would be wise to end the discussion here because what truly defines an isekai is a matter of each person's perspective. And thanks for your input, and the friendly discussion.
DarkLight9616Jul 10, 2023 1:30 PM
Jul 10, 2023 1:44 PM
Apr 2022
Akshat_2007 said:
BlazerionX said:
The longer the series is the more people lose interest. It is the same with any series. Why Alicization is higher than Ordinal Scale because some people never watch anime movie.

then according to this logic one piece should be dead !!?

the difference is that one piece is considered to be one of the greatest anime of all time and most people who start watching it, like it and stick with it. on the other hand, most people agree that sao had an amazing first season, and after that it went to shit. not only do alot of people dont like what sao did, almost everyone in the anime comunity love to shit on it, qnd say its the worst anime.
Jul 10, 2023 5:14 PM
Apr 2021
Maybe because each season is the newest one thus the least popular one since it hasn't been around as long
Jul 10, 2023 5:28 PM

Sep 2018
Most people do not watch series out of order, and people die and drop anime. It is almost impossible for a s2 of a anime to outdoe a s1 unless the series has no real sequential order like pokemon reseting every gen. Also, older anime tend to get more forgotten as they age just like modern series. People have lower attention spans more now than ever so mostly everything is but a fad. This is the biggest reason most anime never get full on anime adaptations since popularity fades every season. This also explains why long running anime is mostly dead. 99% of series now tend to be 12 episodes or less.
Jul 10, 2023 9:16 PM
Jul 2021
I just have a question... did the second progressive movie released on cinemas on US already? because if it did I missed it and I had no idea about it...
Jul 10, 2023 10:22 PM
Oct 2021
The first season was ok to me but to most people who watched it it was something they loved. Season 2 (GGO) on the other hand was a massive disappointment, even to me (someone who doesn't really like SAO). And because of that I didn't even bother to continue watching, which I'm assuming a lot of otherd did too.
Jul 10, 2023 11:50 PM
Feb 2021
Most intelligent SAO fan
Jul 11, 2023 2:53 AM
Feb 2023
Oh I don't know?
Maybe because the story was already finished in the first season.
All the second season did, was introduce ONE character to Kirito's harem.
Third and forth were fine.

Plus when SAO first came there were not many Isekai-anime-with-OP-MC-who-gets-every-girl-into-his-harem-for_particularly_no_reason animes at that time. But now you can find an anime with the name Reincarnated as a [Random Dictionary Word] 3 out of 5 times.
Jul 11, 2023 7:52 AM
Oct 2019
It’s simple. Over time people move onto other series. They also start to realize all the plot holes and how poorly written the beginning was, or lose interest after a certain point in the series. I know a lot of people lost interest after pushing through the second half of season. Other people who love the series despite all its flaws and are blinded somewhat by nostalgia goggles plan on returning to the series but find it difficult to make time to partially because they’re busier with their personal lives than they used to be and partially because it’s a low priority compared to the other shows they’re watching or plan on watching. I still need to catch up again, but I have at least a dozen shows I need to catch up on or watch first, and even if I’m ignoring new shows coming out every season, it’s a slow burn to catch up. Even if it tends to actually get better over time, a lot of people have sequelitis, don’t care for the new stuff, have higher priorities, or are just too busy and don’t have enough motivation to carve out time for it.
Jul 11, 2023 11:19 AM
Dec 2022
Nobody is going to watch the second season for example and not the first season. However if some people didn’t like the end of season 1, they will not watch season 2.

This is especially important prevalent in Sao because there was lots of hype around it when it initially came out, until people realised it is utter trash.
Jul 11, 2023 11:32 AM
Jan 2021
the watchers are declining because the show is shit.
Jul 11, 2023 10:11 PM
Nov 2021
Ashok_Kumar said:
So, I have noticed that the members kept declining whenever new season comes out in respect of previous season.

Check This๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡
1) Sword Art Online - 2,961,271 members
2) Sword Art Online ll - 1,908,548 members (35.55% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
3) Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale - 701,480 members (63.25% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
4) Sword Art Online: Alicization - 996,350 members (42.04% rise)๐Ÿ“ˆ
5) Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld - 719,884 members (27.75% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
6) Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season - 576,930 members (19.86% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
7) Sword Art Online the Movie: Progressive - Aria of a Starless Night - 232,492 members (59.70% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
8) Sword Art Online the Movie: Progressive - Scherzo of Deep Night - 92,739 members (60.11% decline)๐Ÿ“‰
9) Sword Art Online (Original Movie) - 25,489 members (72.52% decline)๐Ÿ“‰

So can anyone please explain "why members kept declining?"

Bhai pehle toh non cannon movies consider Matt kar...Jo uske canon seasons hai uska time frame dekh...2012 mein sao...toh obviously viewers zyada honge comparatively
Jul 11, 2023 11:22 PM
Jan 2020
The gratuitous amount of sexual assault in this show is the reason I dropped it, honestly. Yeah, it’s anime…but it didn’t advance the plot at all (aside from serving as a “omg look the protagonist saved her!!!!!” moment for the most shallow characterization you’ve ever witnessed) and genuinely made me extremely uncomfortable. It’s in EVERY SEASON. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Sometimes even multiple times. The painstakingly mid story is not worth it to me.
Jul 13, 2023 3:27 PM
Dec 2021
Cl0wnHAHA said:
the show is ass and theres too much boobs and shit mixed with bad taste. also shitty shows always try to make up for their shittyness with fanservice, but it never changes how shitty it is. also the main story was ended so now the anime became a regular gaming anime but that just ruins everything considering the main reason we watched it was because of the original story. thats the reason views went up with alicization, its because hes stuck in the game again

tell me you dont pay attention to the series without telling me you dont pay attention to the series
Jul 13, 2023 4:23 PM
Jul 2021
MadShipperVolty said:
Cl0wnHAHA said:
the show is ass and theres too much boobs and shit mixed with bad taste. also shitty shows always try to make up for their shittyness with fanservice, but it never changes how shitty it is. also the main story was ended so now the anime became a regular gaming anime but that just ruins everything considering the main reason we watched it was because of the original story. thats the reason views went up with alicization, its because hes stuck in the game again

tell me you dont pay attention to the series without telling me you dont pay attention to the series

i don't pay attention to the series? i apologize for the reason of me not understanding or comprehending what you are meaning by that, considering every letter of the alphabet of every word i have typed on the keyboard was over a thousand percent factual, that is according to my calculation. and if you would like, i will provide statistics for your fallacies, actually, do not even consider asking, for your answer is organically, factually, philosophically, punctually, contextually, virtually incorrect, by over twelve thousand eight hundred and fourteen percent exactly. on the next occasion you happen to think of thinking of making such an error, please consider making an adequate amount of research, or else someone else will point out your delusion, you silly harlequin!
Jul 14, 2023 12:51 AM
Feb 2022
Probably because SAO is objectively a bad anime so after season one people lose interest like a lot
Jul 14, 2023 10:44 AM
Oct 2022
DarkLight9616 said:
inflation said:

This is the most condescending reply I’ve ever seen defending the most garbage show of all time. Sci-fi, isekai, either way it fucking sucks.

Oh, another one that is incapable of understanding simple things. Do not worry, because I am not here to teach you. Meaning, you can relax, because I could not stomach any further discussion with you.

No, I understand everything you said, however the way you put it makes you sound like one of the most condescending human beings on the planet. As a result, you come off as insufferable to everyone who reads your post.
Jul 14, 2023 10:45 AM
Oct 2022
inflation said:
DarkLight9616 said:

Oh, another one that is incapable of understanding simple things. Do not worry, because I am not here to teach you. Meaning, you can relax, because I could not stomach any further discussion with you.

No, I understand everything you said, however the way you put it makes you sound like one of the most condescending human beings on the planet. As a result, you come off as insufferable to everyone who reads your post.

Also SAO is not good after the first season.
Jul 14, 2023 6:46 PM
Apr 2022
ANR23 said:
Because it's a very mehh show. Bad plot and writing, trash characters. Of course watchers drop.

nah brah. amazing story.
Jul 16, 2023 8:51 AM

Oct 2020
Birb_addict said:
first season of SAO was the best, it just got worse and they kept milking it. also this happens with most anime series, first season is the highest, as viewers keep watching, theyll either get bored or just not like the series afterwards.

Alicization>>>>Aincrad
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 16, 2023 9:29 PM
Jun 2022
the hype for it kinda dies, but personally I think a lot of people are hating on the show, and because of all the hate, people decide not to watch it because they make it sound bad, or even out of pressure by their friends who dislike it
Jul 18, 2023 8:36 AM
Feb 2020
Ashok_Kumar said:
Alexioos95 said:

Those who didn't enjoyed a season obviously won't watch the next one.
And there is also the dead users.

It's like that for everything , nothing surprising.
Okay!!
But the difference is huge๐Ÿ™ƒ

because the anime is bad, only redeeming season was alicization but its so late in the shows life not many people are going to stick around especially when the first few seasons/movies are ass
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Today, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.