Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 19, 2023 1:37 PM

Jan 2016
FluffyExpress said:
ChatGPT ass post.  If you think someone’s biting when you have a percentage stretched to 2 decimal points then you really need to enroll in troll school.

Ikr, like “Moar number = big convince”
100 Push-Ups, 100 Sit-Ups, 100 Squats, and a 10K Run, EVERY SINGLE DAY!!
Jun 19, 2023 2:49 PM
Apr 2021
Deeper in the trashcan, yeah
Jun 19, 2023 2:56 PM
Jun 2017
"Why did you create this game"
"I did it so many years ago that I don't remember"

So deep!
Jun 19, 2023 3:32 PM
Apr 2020
ForThaWatch said:
idk man, its just kinda average. Its not bad or deserve as much hate as it gets, but it definitely isnt "one of the last great modern classics."

Yeah I agree with you. If is in no way a modern classic, it’s just an average anime. There were some parts that got really boring and I didn’t like how op Kirito was but I don’t like most isekai because the mc tends to be op so it’s not like that’s exclusive to sao.
Jun 19, 2023 3:39 PM
Apr 2020
Deago said:
voltwaffle said:
No amount of pseudo-intellectual projection is going to convince me this show is anything more than otaku wish fulfillment garbage.
kelvin8072 said:
completely no...
FluffyExpress said:
ChatGPT ass post.  If you think someone’s biting when you have a percentage stretched to 2 decimal points then you really need to enroll in troll school.
7_3 said:
Yeah, it’s deep. Too deep. So deep it’s funny.
They tried to cram too much “message” into it and as a result it became a clusterfuck. The only good seasons are the first season and the GGO alternative where everything wasn’t a giant mess.
RopeBuny said:
Nobody is gonna fall for your bullshit eassy.

Sao is like a project somebody started when they knew nothing about writting and then still continued and just went with the flow. And the result is a hot mess garbage story telling.
(What probably happened was probably just a self insert)

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

Everything else had nothing people could enjoy about. And no. Waifu’s aren’t a reason on their own to enjoy a entire ass series.
I provided solid examples that prove the profundity of the series, such as the events in the overhated episode 13. However, you probably haven't even bothered to read them. I also provided a TL;DR summary for those of you who are lazy.

You provided one example and sure it’s understandable I guess but I feel like you’re making SAO out to be better than it is. Sure it has themes of escapism ect. but that doesn’t mean it was well done or super amazing. I watched sao when it was airing and it doesn’t deserve the hate it gets but it doesn’t deserve all the praise you’re giving it either. It’s just mid.
Jun 19, 2023 4:16 PM

Apr 2016
It's better to have just three well developed messages than to have thousand of them but not doing anything interesting with them.

SAO didn't use any of them for anything special. It's just a decent, non charming action adventure.
Jun 19, 2023 4:40 PM
May 2022
I ain't reading allat🙏
Jun 19, 2023 7:51 PM
Jan 2008
This is 2 deep 4 me.
Jun 19, 2023 11:00 PM

Jun 2015
znaatt said:
I ain't reading allat🙏
I provided a tldr version for you.
Jun 19, 2023 11:09 PM

May 2022
Deago said:

There is a prevalent presence of individuals within the anime community, including this website, who falsely claim to hate Sword Art Online (SAO). Typically, they tend to favour series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Serial Exprimental Lain as their top choice, while giving SAO a low rating in an attempt to appear superior to others. These individuals, metaphorically speaking, resemble insecure children rather than mature critics, as they fail to analyse fiction on even a fundamental level.

In reality, SAO encompasses numerous thematic messages that the vast majority of fans, approximately 99.69%, fail to decipher. While these messages were subtly hinted at in the first season of the anime and further explored in the light novel, for the sake of this discussion assuming nobody here has read it except for me, I will refrain from going beyond the anime adaptation. At its core, SAO serves as a mature, suspenseful techno-thriller that offers allegorical social commentary on the emergence of virtual reality. It delves into the concept that the desire for self-expression and the constant need for instant reactions from friends can trap individuals, and the advent of VR technology opens up new possibilities for human interaction. Consequently, it becomes essential to combine these technologies with social networks and video games.

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction and existential critique of the impact of VR on our real life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

I'm not asserting that SAO is flawlessly written, but it deserves recognition as one of the last great modern classics that genuinely influenced the anime medium. Some might argue that the inspired creators missed the point and merely replicated the less desirable aspects. SAO has faced immense criticism throughout its history, primarily due to an influx of new anime 'fans' entering the community, leading to a clash between different age groups. Within this clash, a subset of these anime newcomers decided to mimic experienced anime watchers, adopting their favourite series and criticisms without truly understanding why certain critics disdain SAO. Essentially, they become sheep, unwittingly succumbing to the effects of herd mentality.

I can definitely agree, the fact that SAO is deep and explores the power of relationships, leading to growth despite having your own struggles and weaknesses, is what makes SAO amazing. Kirito’s interactions with the people he meets in Aincrad helped shape him to become happier and stronger while working to protect everyone around him and helping those who aren’t capable of fighting to clear the game. SAO looks at the lives of other people too and the struggles they face (i.e people fearing of LC, Asuna’s initial phase of coldness and distance until Kirito and Asuna work together, with their feelings for each other being amplified due to circumstances later on down the line, Lizbeth’s struggles with human connection, with Kirito spreading that virtue and helping Liz grow, etc). To add on, Fairy Dance is heavily underrated and overhated since people don’t understand what’s really going on with Suguha in regards to Kazuto. As a result of Suguha’s emotional distress while Kazuto was trapped in SAO, the two of them had drifted apart so much, and with Kazuto luckily returning alive, Sugu’s feelings for him are amplified since she is so happy that he is back and being warm and caring, but has conflicted feelings since she knows she can’t have those feelings since it’s wrong. Sugu’s character arc is handled really well, being deep and complex. GGO does an excellent job with Sinon’s story and trauma, with Kirito’s similarities to Sinon in their traumatic experience not only let them work together to become stronger, but to both grow and accept themselves despite their weaknesses. Unfortunately, SAO haters either don’t pay attention or don’t want to critically think about what’s being given to them and instead dismiss concepts as garbage, poorly executed, etc.
Jun 19, 2023 11:22 PM
Jan 2021
Ploly said:
"Why did you create this game"
"I did it so many years ago that I don't remember"

So deep!

Bro said first episode he wanted to basically “create a world with my design.” For him basically to be a god (same reasoning with bad dude in fairy arc). Once he achieved this form of godhood, it basically left him bored and aimless. Which is why he said that. He had no purpose and nothing came out of it. Just a dumb crashing metal castle.

It’s not that’s it’s deep, it’s just contextual clues to piece together. It’s more obvious in S3 when it goes more into his and his gf’s back story when the SAO phenomenon was happening.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 20, 2023 4:42 AM
May 2020
fuck no it's not deep
this is common sense .
Everybody who has common sense knows harmful effects of VR .

you are going off topic and not talking about why the series is hated
people hate it because of bland characters and terrible story writing
no one really cares about its settings and its VR concept

if according to you the series is about the VR concept (which it partially is ) then justify the rape scenes in it
Jun 20, 2023 9:17 AM
Feb 2021
“Approximately 99.69% of fans don’t understand this show” if it sounds obnoxious coming from Eva fans, I want you to imagine how it sounds coming from this fanbase. I don’t think a lot of people are disagreeing that there’s thematic messaging in SAO, namely about Virtual and actual realities, but what people really complain about is how poorly SAO was handled.

Original SAO is terribly paced and God awful, considering the entire Aincrad arc was rushed as stated BY THE CREATOR since he had only submitted part of it for a competition and editors forced him to get the rest of it out even though he wasn’t fully prepared for that work load. It’s why we have SAO Progressive, it’s a reworking and repacing of SAO in an attempt to patch the many, many holes in the original (haven’t read but hopefully Kayaba’s motives are more than just “I forgor 💀” this time)

SAO was always promising with it’s fairly new concepts and potential with its themes and characters, no one is disputing that it had to potential to be great, it was just so poorly handled, and not being able to acknowledge that while pseudo-intellectually proclaiming that 99.69% of fans are ignorant just makes you look, well, ignorant. While it may be true for some people to just follow whatever popular opinion says, I still feel like a lot of the hate SAO gets is because it could’ve been so good. If Kirito didn’t have a million girls falling at his feet for no reason, or we actually get to see those reasons and feelings explored, if we didn’t skip all the effort Kirito had to put in to become as overpowered as he did, maybe it could’ve been a lot better. But for now, we have progressive and wherever it’s going, maybe it improves drastically on the source material or maybe we stay stuck at square one, for now we just wait and see what Reki does with this.
Jun 20, 2023 7:32 PM

Oct 2021
I doubt it's that deep, just coincidence that some stuff maybe touched heavy topics of today, but I agree that sao is overhated by the vocal community despite having a big fanbase

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jun 20, 2023 10:09 PM

Aug 2020
lro_ said:

looking at your list I saw you
gave sao 2/10, why?

Because the dude's a troll.
Keep scrolling
Jun 20, 2023 10:18 PM

Jun 2015
RobertsahDHDA said:
lro_ said:

looking at your list I saw you
gave sao 2/10, why?

Because the dude's a troll.
I have explained the score in my review.
Jun 20, 2023 11:41 PM
Jun 2023
spoken like a true MAL user who is afraid to put their favorite anime into their MAL favorites because they are afraid to be criticized
Jun 20, 2023 11:49 PM

Jun 2015
TheUnderRizzler said:
spoken like a true MAL user who is afraid to put their favorite anime into their MAL favorites because they are afraid to be criticized
My list is visible idiot.
Jun 20, 2023 11:59 PM
Jun 2023
Deago said:
TheUnderRizzler said:
My list is visible idiot.
we do not care, nor did we ask.
Jun 21, 2023 1:32 AM

Jul 2015
I understand that you have a positive perspective on Sword Art Online and believe that there is a prevalent presence of individuals within the anime community who claim to hate the series. However, I would like to offer a different viewpoint and disagree with some of the points you mentioned.

Diversity of Preferences: It's important to acknowledge that people have diverse tastes when it comes to anime. Some individuals genuinely prefer series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Serial Experiments Lain over SAO, not as an attempt to appear superior but simply because they resonate more with those particular shows. It's unfair to dismiss their preferences as a mere facade or a means to appear mature or sophisticated.

Interpretation and Analysis: While you argue that the vast majority of fans fail to decipher the thematic messages of SAO, it's essential to remember that interpretation and analysis of a work of fiction can vary from person to person. Just because someone doesn't interpret or appreciate the themes in the same way you do doesn't make their analysis less valid or their understanding inadequate. Different perspectives and interpretations contribute to the richness and diversity of discussions within the anime community.

Subtle Intentions and Overlooked Details: While you mention that casual viewers tend to overlook small details and fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator, it's important to note that not everyone watches a series with the same level of scrutiny or attention to detail. Expecting every viewer to pick up on every subtle message may be unrealistic. Additionally, a series that heavily relies on subtle hints and details to convey its messages runs the risk of alienating or confusing a significant portion of its audience.

Valid Criticisms: While you argue that SAO deserves recognition as one of the last great modern classics, it's crucial to acknowledge that criticism of the series stems from a variety of reasons, not solely from the influx of new anime fans mimicking experienced watchers. There are valid criticisms regarding SAO's storytelling, character development, pacing, and thematic exploration that go beyond personal preferences or herd mentality.

It's important to foster a respectful and open environment within the anime community where different opinions and perspectives are acknowledged and valued. Disagreements and discussions contribute to a deeper understanding and appreciation of various anime series, including SAO.

Jun 21, 2023 1:53 AM

Apr 2020
Ugh...can't you just link us the Youtube video you watched and save us all the time it takes to read this wall of text? xD
Jun 21, 2023 2:02 AM
Apr 2022
Ya bro fr but i will still give it 1/10.
Any way I didn't even read your post. The title was enough to ignore it.
Jun 21, 2023 4:55 AM

Mar 2013
AwesomeAli2832 said:
I can definitely agree, the fact that SAO is deep and explores the power of relationships, leading to growth despite having your own struggles and weaknesses, is what makes SAO amazing. Kirito’s interactions with the people he meets in Aincrad helped shape him to become happier and stronger while working to protect everyone around him and helping those who aren’t capable of fighting to clear the game. SAO looks at the lives of other people too and the struggles they face (i.e people fearing of LC, Asuna’s initial phase of coldness and distance until Kirito and Asuna work together, with their feelings for each other being amplified due to circumstances later on down the line, Lizbeth’s struggles with human connection, with Kirito spreading that virtue and helping Liz grow, etc). To add on, Fairy Dance is heavily underrated and overhated since people don’t understand what’s really going on with Suguha in regards to Kazuto. As a result of Suguha’s emotional distress while Kazuto was trapped in SAO, the two of them had drifted apart so much, and with Kazuto luckily returning alive, Sugu’s feelings for him are amplified since she is so happy that he is back and being warm and caring, but has conflicted feelings since she knows she can’t have those feelings since it’s wrong. Sugu’s character arc is handled really well, being deep and complex. GGO does an excellent job with Sinon’s story and trauma, with Kirito’s similarities to Sinon in their traumatic experience not only let them work together to become stronger, but to both grow and accept themselves despite their weaknesses. Unfortunately, SAO haters either don’t pay attention or don’t want to critically think about what’s being given to them and instead dismiss concepts as garbage, poorly executed, etc.

You did a better job explaining why you like Sword Art Online than the OP. OP just said bullshit. 

While I think SAO is perfectly mediocre (Actually, I thought it was bad), I also agree that the Elfheim arc received a bit too much hate relative to anything else, all things considered. For me, one of the biggest issues with the Aincrad arc, or at least its anime adaptation, was that the numerous time skips undermined the development of Kirito and Asuna's relationship. It skips all the way to the endgame of their romance, rather than building the relationship over time, through those consistent and small interactions. Their relationship just is, and as a result, far less engaging. In fact, this is the greatest issue for the Aincrad arc. It skips so much of the more interesting aspects of what defines an adventure, to focus on the slice of life aspects of two characters that many of us are not familiar with. Take away their more idealized aspects, and it does ring hollow in terms of substance. It is hard to describe, but Kirito and Asuna, while they get along, do not have the same type of chemistry that makes other couples so engaging to watch. To me, it is so idealized it feels sanitized.

At least with Elfheim, Sugha and Kirito do have their relationship characterized, and even have a conflict. That at least is something. Some believe that because Asuna and Kirito are "destined to be together", that a relationship with feelings doomed to be unreturned is meaningless to explore, and yeah, I can sort of understand, but I also do not agree. The narrative at least develops this, and in my opinion this is very much worthwhile in its own, even if I could say the execution was not all that special. Alfheim, in my opinion, is partially a response to the issues around Aincrad. 

Also, here is where either you or the anime are wrong.

As a result of Suguha’s emotional distress while Kazuto was trapped in SAO, the two of them had drifted apart so much, and with Kazuto luckily returning alive, Sugu’s feelings for him are amplified since she is so happy that he is back and being warm and caring, but has conflicted feelings since she knows she can’t have those feelings since it’s wrong. Sugu’s character arc is handled really well, being deep and complex.

Bruh, feelings cannot be "wrong". Maybe they can be irrational, but they are not morally wrong to have. Sorry to come across as a prick, but I really hate it when someone says this. I forgot if the anime did it, but I remember after exiting SAO that Kirito goes to comfort Sugha before heading to the hospital. Part of that comfort means acknowledging her feelings, not condemning them, and Sugha learning to live with it, rather than to stop loving Kirito.

PeripheralVisionJun 21, 2023 4:58 AM
Jun 21, 2023 5:33 AM

May 2022
PeripheralVision said:
AwesomeAli2832 said:

You did a better job explaining why you like Sword Art Online than the OP. OP just said bullshit. 

While I think SAO is perfectly mediocre (Actually, I thought it was bad), I also agree that the Elfheim arc received a bit too much hate relative to anything else, all things considered. For me, one of the biggest issues with the Aincrad arc, or at least its anime adaptation, was that the numerous time skips undermined the development of Kirito and Asuna's relationship. It skips all the way to the endgame of their romance, rather than building the relationship over time, through those consistent and small interactions. Their relationship just is, and as a result, far less engaging. In fact, this is the greatest issue for the Aincrad arc. It skips so much of the more interesting aspects of what defines an adventure, to focus on the slice of life aspects of two characters that many of us are not familiar with. Take away their more idealized aspects, and it does ring hollow in terms of substance. It is hard to describe, but Kirito and Asuna, while they get along, do not have the same type of chemistry that makes other couples so engaging to watch. To me, it is so idealized it feels sanitized.

At least with Elfheim, Sugha and Kirito do have their relationship characterized, and even have a conflict. That at least is something. Some believe that because Asuna and Kirito are "destined to be together", that a relationship with feelings doomed to be unreturned is meaningless to explore, and yeah, I can sort of understand, but I also do not agree. The narrative at least develops this, and in my opinion this is very much worthwhile in its own, even if I could say the execution was not all that special. Alfheim, in my opinion, is partially a response to the issues around Aincrad. 

Also, here is where either you or the anime are wrong.

As a result of Suguha’s emotional distress while Kazuto was trapped in SAO, the two of them had drifted apart so much, and with Kazuto luckily returning alive, Sugu’s feelings for him are amplified since she is so happy that he is back and being warm and caring, but has conflicted feelings since she knows she can’t have those feelings since it’s wrong. Sugu’s character arc is handled really well, being deep and complex.

Bruh, feelings cannot be "wrong". Maybe they can be irrational, but they are not morally wrong to have. Sorry to come across as a prick, but I really hate it when someone says this. I forgot if the anime did it, but I remember after exiting SAO that Kirito goes to comfort Sugha before heading to the hospital. Part of that comfort means acknowledging her feelings, not condemning them, and Sugha learning to live with it, rather than to stop loving Kirito.

I can agree Aincrad would need to be expanded upon to fill in the gaps, which is why Progressive is a thing. As with Suguha, she felt conflicted because she felt that her feelings for her brother were incestous and recognizes how taboo it is to have those feelings. She tries to work past those feelings, until everything comes crashing down. She breaks down to Kazuto after realizing she had been following her brother and displacing those feelings (aka Kirito in game), and then the two reconcile in game to re-establish their familial bond and work together to save Asuna. I should have been a little bit more clearer but if I wasn’t clear, there is a video by Gamerturk that does cover misconceptions about the fairy dance, especially about the accusations about incest.
Jun 21, 2023 6:34 AM

Mar 2013
AwesomeAli2832 said:

I can agree Aincrad would need to be expanded upon to fill in the gaps, which is why Progressive is a thing. As with Suguha, she felt conflicted because she felt that her feelings for her brother were incestous and recognizes how taboo it is to have those feelings. She tries to work past those feelings, until everything comes crashing down. She breaks down to Kazuto after realizing she had been following her brother and displacing those feelings (aka Kirito in game), and then the two reconcile in game to re-establish their familial bond and work together to save Asuna. I should have been a little bit more clearer but if I wasn’t clear, there is a video by Gamerturk that does cover misconceptions about the fairy dance, especially about the accusations about incest.
I see, it was more of an issue of phrasing. That being said, it is clearly incestuous, hence why she was sadden when Kirito "chose" Asuna. This type of scenario only makes sense within two conflicting romantic interests with a monogamous set of characters, not between a sibling and a fiancé, and their interactions afterward reflect this lost love scenario more convincingly than the latter.

I read various interpretations, and I just do not buy this theory. A large part of her character arc was working through those feelings, and it would have undermined it her growth her feelings were misplaced or "confused" with a longing to re-stablish familial ties, especially given her actions are outright love martyrdom; as you said before, she tries to put aside her feelings and work past them. Simply put, it works much better that he feelings were unrequited than if they were misunderstood.

Chalking them up to confusion about what she actually wanted makes the narrative more disingenuous; that being said, I don't think the latter theory is completely without merit. I think the "loss" of her cousin could have prompted a romantic longing from that ensuing loneliness that comes with a lack of a familal bond.

A large part of this theory I argue comes from two things. A dislike of incest, and a knowledge that critics of the series dislike incest. Fans of the series will naturally try to argue that it is not wincest because if they accepted any part of the critics' claims, they feel it would delegitimize their other counterarguments. However, I feel this unwillingness to accept criticism is particularly unhealthy for discussion. 

More importantly, incest is wincest between little sisters and big brothers, and anyone who refuses to acknowledge this fact is insane. Imoutosexuals should rejoice.
PeripheralVisionJun 21, 2023 6:38 AM
Jun 21, 2023 11:47 AM
Oct 2021
RetroGressive said:
Deago said:

There is a prevalent presence of individuals within the anime community, including this website, who falsely claim to hate Sword Art Online (SAO). Typically, they tend to favour series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Serial Exprimental Lain as their top choice, while giving SAO a low rating in an attempt to appear superior to others. These individuals, metaphorically speaking, resemble insecure children rather than mature critics, as they fail to analyse fiction on even a fundamental level.

In reality, SAO encompasses numerous thematic messages that the vast majority of fans, approximately 99.69%, fail to decipher. While these messages were subtly hinted at in the first season of the anime and further explored in the light novel, for the sake of this discussion assuming nobody here has read it except for me, I will refrain from going beyond the anime adaptation. At its core, SAO serves as a mature, suspenseful techno-thriller that offers allegorical social commentary on the emergence of virtual reality. It delves into the concept that the desire for self-expression and the constant need for instant reactions from friends can trap individuals, and the advent of VR technology opens up new possibilities for human interaction. Consequently, it becomes essential to combine these technologies with social networks and video games.

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction and existential critique of the impact of VR on our real life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

I'm not asserting that SAO is flawlessly written, but it deserves recognition as one of the last great modern classics that genuinely influenced the anime medium. Some might argue that the inspired creators missed the point and merely replicated the less desirable aspects. SAO has faced immense criticism throughout its history, primarily due to an influx of new anime 'fans' entering the community, leading to a clash between different age groups. Within this clash, a subset of these anime newcomers decided to mimic experienced anime watchers, adopting their favourite series and criticisms without truly understanding why certain critics disdain SAO. Essentially, they become sheep, unwittingly succumbing to the effects of herd mentality.

Affectation is an art, and you’re outstanding at it. First off, it’s pretty obvious the premise of your argument is based on an extremely far-fetched and delusional narrative of an overall generic and superficial show. From its remarkably bland and monotonous main character to dedicating half an arc to fucking incest, there are few redeeming factors to this absolute shit-show. While you cleverly constructed some interesting motifs, they are entirely frivolous have no effect on the story. Alas, it appears the human psyche has an innate predisposition to yearn to be special, different, even superior. Your argumentative essay is nothing but a product of this phenomena, you may feel elite as a result but you come off as nothing more than a pseudo-intellectual cringe-lord.

This is the most generic, unoriginal, and childish response ever. You have demonstrated that you are everything you called OP just by saying it.
Jun 21, 2023 3:58 PM

Apr 2022
@Deago I don’t appear to be able to access the clip from Episode 13 you wished to share. Can you give a timestamp or share again, whichever is easier for you.

Also, your description of SAO’s most important themes is quite interesting, but also general and rather vague. Do you think you could give a precise statement of one of the messages that you think SAO is trying to send, a message that you think is particularly insightful/valuable?

Bonus points if you can take concrete events from the anime and explain directly how they relate to the purported message or theme. Don’t have to if you don’t want to, but if you do want to, I would be fascinated to read it.

Your original post reads as an introductory statement. I don’t necessarily assume it is unfounded, but it does currently lack explicitly delineated support. Writing out that support is the sort of thing I’d feel compelled to do (and have done in the past) if I thought it would be better for others to see a story the way I see it.
Jun 21, 2023 4:37 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I've always viewed SAO to something akin of the Transformers series. Industry changing, makes a lot of money, and is the equivalent of jingling keys to keep your attention.

People can like it but I don't think people would care about it if it wasn't making sequels, books, films every so often. It's not something that really stands the test of time.
Jun 21, 2023 4:55 PM

Jun 2015
ScionOfCyan said:
@Deago I don’t appear to be able to access the clip from Episode 13 you wished to share. Can you give a timestamp or share again, whichever is easier for you.

Also, your description of SAO’s most important themes is quite interesting, but also general and rather vague. Do you think you could give a precise statement of one of the messages that you think SAO is trying to send, a message that you think is particularly insightful/valuable?

Bonus points if you can take concrete events from the anime and explain directly how they relate to the purported message or theme. Don’t have to if you don’t want to, but if you do want to, I would be fascinated to read it.

Your original post reads as an introductory statement. I don’t necessarily assume it is unfounded, but it does currently lack explicitly delineated support. Writing out that support is the sort of thing I’d feel compelled to do (and have done in the past) if I thought it would be better for others to see a story the way I see it.
Link has been fixed https://streamable.com/lb4cty
Jun 21, 2023 6:12 PM

Apr 2022
Deago said:
ScionOfCyan said:

Link has been fixed https://streamable.com/lb4cty
Thanks. Here’s an example of what I meant in the comment.

https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=887566

I wrote this as a forum reply in a mood not dissimilar from the mood that I perceive drove your original post. Later touched it up to be more generally accessible and threw it on the profile blog.  Unfortunately I can’t tell if you’ve seen Gurren Lagann. It would work better as an example  if you had.

I make specific claims about the themes and intended messages, and explain directly how the source material supports those claims (e.g. with screen caps of dialogue). I’ve never perceived SAO to have any insightful themes or message, but I’m entirely open to the possibility that somebody else, with a different body of knowledge, can identify such themes or messages, and help me understand them. However, merely claiming that they are there with little elaboration doesn’t accomplish that.

Based on your output I believe there is at least some chance you would be willing to attempt to fill in that detail, so I figured I’d ask.
Jun 21, 2023 6:20 PM

Apr 2022
@Deago Oh and take however long you want. I have an unwritten assessment of the messaging in Madoka Magica that I’ve been procrastinating on for ages now. I think people should create when the inner will drives them.

I’m unlikely to be going anywhere anytime soon.
Jun 21, 2023 11:12 PM

Apr 2023
Ah, Sword Art Online, a phantasmagorical blend of digital reverie and cerebral discourse that traverses the labyrinthine corridors of augmented realities. Its sublime yet cataclysmic narrative arcs engender a multitude of ruminations and engrossing musings on the tapestry of the human condition.

In this transcendental odyssey, the narrative elocution commences with a magnanimous convergence of technology and virtual landscapes, propelling the hapless denizens into an enigmatic and perilous world. Kirito, our sagacious yet introspective protagonist, emerges as the epitome of the post-modern hero, oscillating between the digital morass and the visceral realms of existence.

The anime's verisimilitude, despite the absence of tangible reality, is a testament to its inherent ingenuity. Through a masterful symphony of visual aesthetics, the ethereal backdrops and intricate character designs coalesce into a maelstrom of kaleidoscopic splendor, ensnaring the viewers' senses in a visual and intellectual embrace.

The multifaceted themes that reverberate throughout Sword Art Online are as expansive as the boundless cosmos itself. Existential quandaries, metaphysical juxtapositions, and the fragility of human connections are meticulously interwoven into the narrative fabric. The ostensible dichotomy between the digital personas and their corporeal counterparts becomes a tantalizing allegory for the duality of human existence, shedding light on the inherent contradictions and poignant frailties of our mortal coil.

Moreover, Sword Art Online dares to traverse uncharted realms of speculative fiction, introducing a captivating exploration of artificial intelligence and the ramifications it begets. The transcendent consciousness of the virtual realm permeates the emotional core of the anime, offering a poignant and introspective meditation on the very nature of sentience and its inextricable link to our own humanity.

While the ostensible potency of the anime's themes is undeniably captivating, one cannot escape the occasional foray into narrative convolution and superfluous tangents. These instances of temporal misgivings dilute the overall cohesiveness, lending a modicum of chagrin amidst the ebullient reverie.

Nevertheless, Sword Art Online stands as a valiant testament to the inherent potency of animated storytelling, traversing the realms of the digital and the philosophical with an audacity that is both commendable and awe-inspiring. It ignites a fiery mélange of cogitation and emotion, ensnaring the viewer within its ethereal embrace, while beckoning them to ponder the ethereal tapestry that binds our ever-evolving reality.
Jun 23, 2023 4:29 AM
Jan 2022
I get what you're trying to say, but S1 was the best, S2 was okay, and anything after that was just kinda meh for me. Good defense, though.
Jun 25, 2023 12:42 PM
Oct 2021
I mean, I see where you are coming from but the show itself is awful at expressing/depicting these themes. If you want a better depiction of these themes, I would suggest you to watch the 1999 film eXistenZ.
Jun 27, 2023 3:06 AM
Jun 2022
It feels like I have nothing to say except ' can't agree more '
Jun 27, 2023 5:11 AM

Nov 2017
a literal surface level analysis of the show, anybody can infer that from the anime. seeing the title of the discussion, I thought you were going to enlighten us on the themes that go over everybody's heads but you just commenced to explain what is the most basic metaphor in the anime. I'm actually a fan of the show with season two being one of my favorite sequels of all time. you need to get over yourself if you think your basic analysis skills deem you superior.
Jun 27, 2023 5:12 AM

Nov 2017
a literal surface level analysis of the show, anybody can infer that from the anime. seeing the title of the discussion, I thought you were going to enlighten us on the themes that go over everybody's heads but you just commenced to explain what is the most basic metaphor in the anime. I'm actually a fan of the show with season two being one of my favorite sequels of all time. you need to get over yourself if you think your basic analysis skills deem you superior.
Jun 27, 2023 5:26 AM

Jul 2022
Im genuinely happy i read this explanation to the end, there is finally someone who can appreciate this masterpiece. It may be adapted in a bad way (Alicization was a little bit too long imo) but it gives a clear message and talk about really interesting themes in a deepen way.
Jun 28, 2023 10:11 AM
Dec 2020
SAO is a show that kinda sucks but it's one of my favorites due to just cause of how overly complicated it gets while still taking itself seriously

I understand why people hate it but I genuinely just love how braindead it is, everything about kirito feels like a scenario I'd invision of myself while taking a bath

tldr: it's really enjoyable even if the writing "isn't good"
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Today, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.