Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2023 1:32 AM

May 2023
Is it fine to watch only Duel Monsters season and related films, but ignore all following seasons (and manga, games, etc.)?
I mean, does Duel Monsters has a satisfying end? Or does it ends with some open storylines / big hints for more seasons / cliffhanger?

Thank you.
Jun 2, 2023 2:06 AM
Aug 2021
It doesn’t end on a cliffhanger or anything like that so you can only watch this and be fine but I would maybe recommend you watch the previous YuGiOh series before this, known as season 0, because just starting with this show is a bit confusing in the beginning. But it would still be okay if you don’t want to.
Jun 2, 2023 2:26 AM

Mar 2023
Yes you can ignore the following seasons, they are separate stories of their own. Duel Monsters has its own end which is nice, I hope you enjoy watching ^^
Jun 2, 2023 6:07 AM

May 2023
NurdanSim said:
It doesn’t end on a cliffhanger or anything like that so you can only watch this and be fine but I would maybe recommend you watch the previous YuGiOh series before this, known as season 0, because just starting with this show is a bit confusing in the beginning. But it would still be okay if you don’t want to.
hikkihime said:
Yes you can ignore the following seasons, they are separate stories of their own. Duel Monsters has its own end which is nice, I hope you enjoy watching ^^
Thank you very much~
Jun 3, 2023 8:50 AM
Mar 2020
Zayac said:
Is it fine to watch only Duel Monsters season and related films, but ignore all following seasons (and manga, games, etc.)?
I mean, does Duel Monsters has a satisfying end? Or does it ends with some open storylines / big hints for more seasons / cliffhanger?

Thank you.

I actually watched duel monsters 1st as that’s what was shown in my country and even rewatching it many times again, it doesn’t seem like you’d miss much from season 0. So yes, you can start it and if you end up liking it, then you can also watch season 0.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 3, 2023 12:59 PM

May 2023
MeVike said:
I actually watched duel monsters 1st as that’s what was shown in my country and even rewatching it many times again, it doesn’t seem like you’d miss much from season 0. So yes, you can start it and if you end up liking it, then you can also watch season 0.
Thanx! Right, I'll start directly from Duel Monsters after all.
Jun 4, 2023 9:23 PM
Jul 2016
Regarding season 0, I'd suggest just reading the manga for that portion. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think they leave out a few things (mostly involving Joey/Jonouichi). Overall I really enjoyed the original manga and read it after rewatching DM.
Jun 5, 2023 10:37 AM

Aug 2019
Personally I don't think the finale of DM was great. In fact it's downright sad and only really gives closure to a couple of characters. But at least The Dark Side of Dimensions movie attempts to repair some of the damage... minimally at least.

But yes, you can watch DM and related movies without having to watch the sequel series.
Jun 6, 2023 6:40 AM

May 2023
Maddy-Renee said:
Regarding season 0, I'd suggest just reading the manga for that portion. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think they leave out a few things (mostly involving Joey/Jonouichi). Overall I really enjoyed the original manga and read it after rewatching DM.
Early_Morning said:
Personally I don't think the finale of DM was great. In fact it's downright sad and only really gives closure to a couple of characters. But at least The Dark Side of Dimensions movie attempts to repair some of the damage... minimally at least.

But yes, you can watch DM and related movies without having to watch the sequel series.
Thank you for answering~
Jun 7, 2023 1:25 PM
Apr 2023
You only need to watch the 224 episodes.
Movies are not related to it and are not recommended to watch them.
There's only 2 things the 27 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! (also known as season 0) show are how Yuugi came in possession of the artifact and how he made friends with Jonouchi.
Aug 14, 2023 3:08 PM

Feb 2016
Duel Monsters and the Toei anime collectively adapt the entire manga they're based on, including the ending.
その目だれの目?
Aug 14, 2023 3:29 PM

Jun 2017
Not to give anything away, but DM functions perfectly fine as a stand alone story. The sequels mostly just reference things from the past or do their own thing without much connection.

The only thing you really need (But isn't really necessary) is to watch season 0 as well, mostly just because it gives more of a backstory to certain characters or features characters who are relegated to bit roles in more prominent roles.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 16, 2023 11:51 PM

May 2023
Thanx for replying!

Now I can confirm that Duel Monsters show truly lacks an introduction part. There's a few super-small flashbacks to main characters past, and that's it.
But somehow personally I started to get used to characters after first 20 episodes and got completely used to them and started to deeply love them after 40 episodes.
In other words, after 40 episodes I started to feel that it's fine to watch this show without its prequel.
Though I still consider watching season 0 or reading first 7 volumes of manga one day, but only as a bonus.

Btw this show is epic win.
Aug 17, 2023 6:27 AM

Jun 2017
Zayac said:
Thanx for replying!

Now I can confirm that Duel Monsters show truly lacks an introduction part. There's a few super-small flashbacks to main characters past, and that's it.
But somehow personally I started to get used to characters after first 20 episodes and got completely used to them and started to deeply love them after 40 episodes.
In other words, after 40 episodes I started to feel that it's fine to watch this show without its prequel.
Though I still consider watching season 0 or reading first 7 volumes of manga one day, but only as a bonus.

Btw this show is epic win.

I'm glad you enjoy it! It's one of my all time favorite series and i hope you can get what i do out of it.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 1 Discussion

Cele - Oct 25, 2009

35 by -DxP- »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.