Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 6, 2023 5:52 AM
Apr 2023
Ended? Kind of a false choice. I loved SAO but it’s far from perfect. So no I wouldn’t end it after 12 or 14 but if there was a Time Machine id love some changes.

Imho they should have paced season 1 in aincrad game over 2-3 seasons and had Gun Gale be a stand alone side stor (I didn’t hate it but it was too randomly separate). I liked parts of season two but never enjoyed fairy arc the same way I did season 1. Haven’t seen underworld Alice yet but felt like the first season of Alicization disconnected Asuna too much from Kirito.

The ordinal scale movie was fine. I enjoyed it. In the end I’d say my score of SAO reflects my love for the idea of it and the joy of the world and idea more than the technical details of each episode. Some shows you just watch to watch because it resonates (with the gamer inside). Other shows you watch to pick apart and study so you can post at length on MAL I suppose šŸ˜¬.

I’ll just accept it for what it is and keep watching.
Infinite_JesterMay 6, 2023 6:17 AM
May 6, 2023 6:08 AM

Apr 2021
Infinite_Jester said:
Ended?  No.  But there was some drop off after that.  I was still okay overall with the changes until Alicization when I felt like it disconnected from the main characters too much.  But I’m okay with the first 12.  Admittedly it wasn’t as good when they leave the game. 

Imho they should have paced season 1 in game over 2-3 seasons and had Gun be a stand alone side story.  Was never as connected with the Fairy arc.  Haven’t seen underworld Alice yet but having a hard time getting motivated.  Still that first season of SOA is what really sucked me into anime.
I agree, they could have spent more time on the 2 years they were trapped inside the game, showing them overcome each level and defeat the boss battles, for the entire first and second seasons, with each season representing a year.

Then after that get into other arcs in the following seasons.

Third season, the fairy arc, but with a better story and ending, including other fairy arc stories like Mother's Rosario & Calibur together.

Fourth season, drawing out SAO's influence and explaining more about the new games, this introduces the Phantom Bullet arc & Gun Gale spin off, then having more time to deal with the villain.

Fifth Season could have been Ordinal Scale arc, with more explanation and longer story.

Sixth Season could be Alicization.

Seventh, War of Underworld.

etc etc

With each season having better writing and more of flowing history to the whole SAO story.
ejleonMay 6, 2023 6:21 AM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 6, 2023 7:35 AM
Dec 2022
Ofc it shouldn’t of or we wouldn’t of met my favorite character, had some of the best fights in the series, and wouldn’t of had the best arc in the series alicization
May 6, 2023 8:42 AM
Oct 2022
Man, SAO had some pretty good arcs after the first season. Death Gun, Mother's Rosario and Alicization were good. Clearly they know how to write a good storyline (and a good soundtrack), but they know just as well how to write a bad rape scene. My problem with SAO is it strays so far from what it could've been, an epic and compelling story of survival against the odds, with a little romance thrown in. It's sad.
After watching the dumpster fire that was War of Alicization, I just wish it was different. Ending it early would've just left the series as being generally bad.
May 6, 2023 9:30 AM
Feb 2022
Alfheim sucked, ggo was good, alfheim sucked again, alication was top tier
May 6, 2023 11:18 AM
Feb 2022
i dont know about that i think not
May 6, 2023 5:15 PM
Mar 2019
SAO should have been at least 25 eps to make room for character development and world-building. I mean... A world of 100 "levels" finished in 14 eps it's really shitty imo
May 6, 2023 9:40 PM

Mar 2013
I feel that SAO Progressive should have been what SAO was in the first place. This does not fix alll of the issues, but it is a start. For the criticism I could levy towards Alfheim or Gun Gale Online, the characterization and relationship build aspects were much more substantial than the first arc in terms of the anime adaptation. At least Shinon has a personal issue she is trying to resolve independent of Kirito in terms of her past trauma, at least Sugha, whose feelings for Kirito go unrealized, is at least able to come to peace with them. This is not to say Asuna needs to have some conflict, but an arc or a personal conflict which she grows from would have gone a long way towards developing her as an actual character. Alternatively, having her bond with Kirito in a way that is natural (As in, over time) would have made it feel less like the rushed mess that the first arc was.

That, and Kirito became a beautiful looking femboy in Gungale Online. Gosh, I would have violated him in that form repeatedly. That alone justifies the existence of Gun Gale Online.
May 6, 2023 10:43 PM

Jan 2015
There should be a 3rd answer where I would fall under. Doesn't get better, but still is a watchable show. I like the series, but nothing matches the 1st Arc.
May 7, 2023 12:40 AM
Apr 2023
you're goddamn right
May 7, 2023 1:24 AM

Apr 2023
I also think that this would have made SAO better overall if it just ended. That being said the real problem for me was how fast they go through the levels. If they would have taken the time and make this like a long-ish running series only focusing on SAO and trying to get out alive showing as much of the world as possible this wouldn´t have ended in desaster i feel like.
May 7, 2023 2:11 AM
Jul 2022
ppl really be hating on all the other arcs without even watching mother's Rosario
May 7, 2023 5:30 AM

Jul 2017
yes and no, if the writer wasnt brain damaged the later arcs couldve worked by just changing orders of what happens and removing retarded shit
May 7, 2023 6:46 AM
Jun 2020
Jo_Liedson said:
(SPOILER) In my opinion this anime didn't deserve to have more than 14 episodes, I loved the SAO arc but after they go back to the real world and go into the other game in the last 11 episodes I almost fell asleep because it was so boring to watch, I dropped the second one season after watching 10 eps and I almost died of boredom with that fps game they introduced into the story

just keep watching the anime gets good again at alicization season
May 7, 2023 6:50 AM
Jun 2020
Jo_Liedson said:
(SPOILER) In my opinion this anime didn't deserve to have more than 14 episodes, I loved the SAO arc but after they go back to the real world and go into the other game in the last 11 episodes I almost fell asleep because it was so boring to watch, I dropped the second one season after watching 10 eps and I almost died of boredom with that fps game they introduced into the story

but idk maybe im Just a fanboy because I watched when i was a child but the alicization season i watched year late when i was not a child anymore and i like the alicization season probably because its Just good
May 7, 2023 7:23 AM
Jan 2022
The worst arc is of course the fairy dance arc which is the 2nd part to season 1. It gets better after words. After fairy dance is the GGO one which it’s not that great either but better than. Fairy dance. Alicazation is a really great one and so far in the light novel with Unital Ring I’m really enjoying that one…
So i think it just gets better than The SAO arc
May 7, 2023 8:03 AM
Feb 2022
Jo_Liedson said:

The only thing i can think of S2 is just the fact that Yuuki died, and that's it. Okay it's sad, but to call the show good just bcs of that? Nah. The S3? Bruh, at this point they're searching for problem.
May 13, 2023 7:40 PM
Aug 2020
Weird way to formulate the answer. It shouldn't have ended at ep14, but it does not get much better after.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.