Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Your feelings towards him?
Mar 30, 2023 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
I'm curious to know the MAL community's opinions about Jonathan Joestar. I feel like there's most people that don't like him because they view him as an overly nice and naive shounen MC. And then there are those who either like or love him. For me personally, I didn't initially like Jonathan Joestar when I watched Season 1 of the anime. I thought he was okay. But reading Part 1 in the manga, I grew to like Jonathan Joestar and felt pity for him as a character. As opposed to what most people will say, I don't think he was a pushover nor too much of a nice guy. I mean, as kids, Jonathan showed more awareness of Dio's manipulative and malicious behavior before anyone else (including his own father). And he was never afraid to confront Dio, just as when Jonathan fought him over destroying his relationship with Erina and when he exposed Dio's true character for what it was.

I blame his graciousness towards Dio on his father. I honestly think George Joestar I was a horrible father in how he treated and raised his son. I respect the fact that he tried being understanding and helpful to those less fortunate than him. But he allowed his kindness to be exploited by people like Dario and his son Dio who, no matter how kind and giving he could have been to them, weren't going to change in their selfish behavior. And ultimately, it led to his own death and future challenges for his son. Jonathan may have been unrefined in his manners as a gentleman as a child. But he did his best to live up to the standards that his father placed for him since he respected him so much. And for all his chastising of Jonathan and praise of Dio, his son ended up becoming a great man. But he didn't realize it till it was too late. I feel like it's hard to appreciate Jonathan Joestar as a character and understand his relationship with Dio in the anime since Part 1 is given so little length in comparison to Part 2. But that's just my opinion. What are you thoughts on the character?
Mar 30, 2023 8:18 AM
Sep 2021
TheFireNinja said:
I'm curious to know the MAL community's opinions about Jonathan Joestar. I feel like there's most people that don't like him because they view him as an overly nice and naive shounen MC. And then there are those who either like or love him. For me personally, I didn't initially like Jonathan Joestar when I watched Season 1 of the anime. I thought he was okay. But reading Part 1 in the manga, I grew to like Jonathan Joestar and felt pity for him as a character. As opposed to what most people will say, I don't think he was a pushover nor too much of a nice guy. I mean, as kids, Jonathan showed more awareness of Dio's manipulative and malicious behavior before anyone else (including his own father). And he was never afraid to confront Dio, just as when Jonathan fought him over destroying his relationship with Erina and when he exposed Dio's true character for what it was.

I blame his graciousness towards Dio on his father. I honestly think George Joestar I was a horrible father in how he treated and raised his son. I respect the fact that he tried being understanding and helpful to those less fortunate than him. But he allowed his kindness to be exploited by people like Dario and his son Dio who, no matter how kind and giving he could have been to them, weren't going to change in their selfish behavior. And ultimately, it led to his own death and future challenges for his son. Jonathan may have been unrefined in his manners as a gentleman as a child. But he did his best to live up to the standards that his father placed for him since he respected him so much. And for all his chastising of Jonathan and praise of Dio, his son ended up becoming a great man. But he didn't realize it till it was too late. I feel like it's hard to appreciate Jonathan Joestar as a character and understand his relationship with Dio in the anime since Part 1 is given so little length in comparison to Part 2. But that's just my opinion. What are you thoughts on the character?

At First I too didn't like Jonathan's character for obvious reasons (but i liked his death tho)
But as i continued with the series, i started to appreciate his character.
His character, for me emits the same aura as
All Might from mha, Jiraiya from Naruto , Gigachad from memes and even JOHN CENA you can say
The main complaints about him being too nice was actually refreshing for me in this flood of edgy cool mc era.
In All i think he is a inspiring character you can
look up to
Mar 30, 2023 8:19 AM

Sep 2020
Don't really have much opinion on him because he has very little screen time in the series, but I think he's just ok, not that good but also not bad.
Mar 30, 2023 8:27 AM

Jan 2021
jonathan is alright, i like him
Read the visual novel nerd
Mar 30, 2023 8:37 AM
Feb 2022
He wasn't as entertaining as other JoJo's but still his story and Death was too good.
Mar 30, 2023 8:42 AM

May 2021
he is alright, nothing special for a character
Mar 30, 2023 8:44 AM
May 2016
I love him.
Mainly because Castlevania: Lament of Innocence is one of my favorite games and Phanton Blood is similar
Mar 30, 2023 9:37 AM
May 2017
Not my favorite but I respect him, as he is the Godfather and the start of all the all badass JoJo that’s came after him.
Mar 30, 2023 10:34 AM
May 2020
For me Jonathan is the best Jojo! He’s a bit like Captain America in that he’s good, chivalrous, likeable and strong (just look at his body!) Without his love and fortitude there would be no other Jojo’s
Mar 30, 2023 10:43 AM
Apr 2022
he is a nice guy....
Mar 30, 2023 11:56 AM

May 2021
I like him. He ain’t my favorite JoJo by a wide margin, but by god am I a sucker for the Honorable Badass Ideal Hero archetype
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Mar 30, 2023 12:08 PM
Feb 2023
I love him for being so overly nice and good.
Mar 30, 2023 12:30 PM
Jul 2019
I like Jonathan Joestar. But one big thing I dislike is that there's not really much to say about him. In my opinion he doesn't have relevant internal struggles or an interesting outlook on life like the rest of the main characters of the parts. Sure, it's part of his character, but usually characters that don't need to grow or change internally usually need to change due to external forces (very relevant example being Captain America). While the same can kind of be said for Giorno, he was more entertaining than Jonathan.
Mar 30, 2023 12:49 PM
Aug 2021
he's always been my favorite joestar
Mar 30, 2023 1:45 PM
Apr 2021
One does not simply dislike Jonathan Joestar.

He is an almost perfect character with his only flaw being that he is too perfect. Unfortunately, there is not much you can write about a character who reached the end of his character development other than his perfect death...
Mar 30, 2023 3:00 PM
Mar 2022
Third favorite jojo
Mar 30, 2023 4:31 PM
Aug 2017
A true gentleman.
Mar 30, 2023 4:38 PM
Feb 2019
takamono said:
Don't really have much opinion on him because he has very little screen time in the series, but I think he's just ok, not that good but also not bad.

I can agree with this. I hated him at first, but on a re-read he’s just alright. If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t have gotten better MCs later down the line.
Mar 30, 2023 7:24 PM
Jan 2021
I think he's not anything too unique but when you think about his role retrospectively it really helps that he was this overpowering force of good to Kickstart the bloodline
Mar 30, 2023 8:28 PM

Aug 2021
indifferent. i don’t hate him but i don’t like him either. i don’t think he’s necessarily a bad character but he’s not a good one either imo
Mar 30, 2023 8:36 PM

Jan 2013
I hated him during my first watch but during my second and subsequent watches I had an appreciation for him.
'Dreams Start by Believing' ~ Haruhi Suzumiya

Mar 31, 2023 12:14 AM
Oct 2020
He is a giant among men!
Mar 31, 2023 9:11 AM
Aug 2022
funny bri ish man with bad table manners
Mar 31, 2023 9:25 AM
Sep 2021
he dead ass hell fr fr
Mar 31, 2023 11:32 AM
May 2020
People underrate how refreshing it is to just have the nice gentleman guy who cares for people so much, especially in Shonen.
Mar 31, 2023 12:34 PM
Sep 2013
I like Jonathan. People always says he's lame or boring but I like nice characters and Jonathan shows good morals and values while being strong and is a good first mc for Jojo. I like him.
Mar 31, 2023 1:03 PM
Sep 2022
My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where all the villas are, and I am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and I get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but I occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get eight hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last check-up. I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like winning and losing, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I deal with society, and I know that is what brings me happiness. Although, if I were to fight I wouldn't lose to anyone.
Apr 1, 2023 4:48 AM
Jun 2022
TheFireNinja said:

Thats alotta words , too bad i aint reading em
Apr 1, 2023 5:30 AM
Aug 2022
He's alright I guess, the issue is that he's a bland/dull character compared to the other JoJo's (alongside Jotaro 3 and maybe Giorno).
Joseph had his quick, crafty thinking, unorthodox way of fighting and was hilarious.
Jotaro shows remarkable growth and actually mellows out as he gets older.
Then Josuke is kinda similar to Jonathan yet he's more fleshed out as a character, his defining moments in the story and the way he is portrayed in them feel organic and true to his character.
Giorno, well, I have mixed feelings towards him. I really liked him when Koichi shows up to Italy, but then after joining Bucciarati's gang Araki dumbs down the rest of the main cast so that Giorno stands out (Wasn't Fugo supposed to be a genius?).
Jolyne is great, she's vulnerable, fiery, weak and yet powerful, her interactions with the rest of the cast and her range of emotions during the show were great.
Johnny Joestar, flat out the best written JoJo, he's just spectacular.
Apr 1, 2023 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Falcon07 said:
TheFireNinja said:

Thats alotta words , too bad i aint reading em

Okay? Thanks for telling me, I guess? Could've just kept it movin' instead of wasting both of our times.
removed-userApr 1, 2023 12:35 PM
Apr 2, 2023 1:54 AM

May 2021
Jonathan Joestar is a Gary Stu but it works greatly because he is the "first" Joestar. He is needed to be shown as the gentleman, heroic figure, when the later JoJos deconstructs those ideas. It's beautiful.

Apr 3, 2023 12:23 AM
Apr 2022
Smash loce this dude and i would smash him fr fr
Apr 4, 2023 9:18 AM
Mar 2021
TheFireNinja said:

Johnathan was simply too good for this world
Apr 4, 2023 9:18 AM
Mar 2021
TheFireNinja said:

Johnathan was simply too good for this world
Apr 7, 2023 1:54 PM
Aug 2014
He's the goodest boy.
Apr 9, 2023 1:29 AM
Oct 2020
TheFireNinja said:

I feel like regardless of what you say about him, Johnathan’s morals and beliefs stand at the basis of all following protagonists, and I think he deserves some credit for that. He is the seed that started the line of great Jostars, and he is carried through it in spirit. Without a character like that to provide a example of what a Jojo is at core I doubt the series would have had the same presence.
Apr 9, 2023 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
Arknite said:
TheFireNinja said:

I feel like regardless of what you say about him, Johnathan’s morals and beliefs stand at the basis of all following protagonists, and I think he deserves some credit for that. He is the seed that started the line of great Jostars, and he is carried through it in spirit. Without a character like that to provide a example of what a Jojo is at core I doubt the series would have had the same presence.
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything bad about him.
Sep 13, 2023 12:22 PM

Mar 2023
Definetly a gentleman. Not incredible written, nor bad.
e

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2013

251 by titty »»
May 4, 5:06 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nidhoeggr - Nov 30, 2012

210 by crumb_fr »»
May 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2013

166 by JohnZ_GGs »»
May 2, 1:16 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KiraYoshikage - Jan 11, 2013

160 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 28, 12:33 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nidhoeggr - Jan 4, 2013

158 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 25, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.