Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2023 3:08 PM
Jul 2022
Just wanted to ask if I should watch the original series or the remake? I don't really know much about all this. The original one that came out years ago has 26 eps. And the remakes are the movies. Though I'm not sure if those are remakes or continuation. But it says alternative version on MAL. That means it should be a remake right? I'm sorry if I'm wrong. But please help me out with this.
This series has caught my attention and I really wanna watch it. So please tell me the best way to watch it. Thank you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2023 3:13 PM

Feb 2016
I prefer the remakes, but they change the whole story. You may as well watch the original since a lot of people like it too.
その目だれの目?
Mar 27, 2023 7:57 PM
Mar 2022
original for sure
Mar 27, 2023 7:58 PM

Apr 2022
original is better but rebuilds are also pretty good, watch the original first and rebuilds after.
Mar 27, 2023 8:00 PM

Jan 2021
The rebuilds expect you already know the character and plot as it diverges greatly after the first movie. I would watch Neon Genesis Evangelion and it’s movie End of Evangelion and if you end up enjoying them watching the Rebuilds after.
Mar 27, 2023 8:03 PM
Dec 2019
both, there are differences in the rebuild that only makes sense when you watched the anime and the end of Evangelion movie, of course you can just watch the rebuild but you will miss some narrative/plot points, none of them crucial but all important
Mar 27, 2023 8:03 PM
Jan 2021
watch the original series first, then watch end of eva, then watch the rebuild movies
Mar 27, 2023 8:04 PM
Jun 2017
you should watch both. because the original was animated while Hideaki Anno was keeping think how he'll gonna put a finish on the series. But the remake isn't. since director Hideaki Anno has more time, and original material (to not push him against the wall) to create a new version about Evangelion, the remake is another vision! it's like how he see his works and how he wanna put HIS over to it. (the plot keeps the same, nothing change, just the studio, and others things, lol)
Whacky0573Mar 27, 2023 8:08 PM
Mar 27, 2023 8:06 PM
Sep 2021
Watch the original first. It's like the fairy tale that the hip-and-with-it, post-modern "what if we told it from the perspective of the big bad wolf?" retelling is based on.
Both are very worth the watch.

Also, be aware that the original TV show ends with a movie of its own: The End Of Evangelion (1997).
ThuuduujnMar 27, 2023 8:15 PM
Mar 27, 2023 8:40 PM
Sep 2021
Watch the original then end of evangelion and then watch the reboot as the reboot has a totally different ending and story.
Mar 27, 2023 9:03 PM
Mar 2023
Original Forsure
Mar 27, 2023 9:10 PM
Jun 2022
Watch the original until 20th episode and then drop it.
Mar 27, 2023 9:15 PM

Mar 2021
Original.

I think you will enjoy it more if you watch the original first and then watch the remake, because you will notice what's different.

Mar 27, 2023 9:18 PM
Jun 2019
Levi1108 said:
Just wanted to ask if I should watch the original series or the remake? I don't really know much about all this. The original one that came out years ago has 26 eps. And the remakes are the movies. Though I'm not sure if those are remakes or continuation. But it says alternative version on MAL. That means it should be a remake right? I'm sorry if I'm wrong. But please help me out with this.
This series has caught my attention and I really wanna watch it. So please tell me the best way to watch it. Thank you.

Where can you watch the original and not the remake?
Mar 27, 2023 9:36 PM
Jul 2020
I highly recommend you watch the original anime. This version is very well built, in addition to being an anime classic. The remake tries to bring a different idea to the story, in addition to having a totally different aspect. Anyway, I believe that watching the original show will be more satisfying and will bring a better impression about the anime.
Mar 27, 2023 9:37 PM
Jul 2020
HappyMagician said:
Levi1108 said:

Where can you watch the original and not the remake?

You can watch the original on Netflix and watch the remake on Prime video
Mar 27, 2023 9:57 PM

Mar 2021
the original for sure. the rebuilds are not remakes, they are very different from the original series and also inferior
Mar 27, 2023 10:58 PM
Apr 2022
Levi1108 said:

I recommend watching the series first, the the end of Evangelion which is a continuation of the series and an alternative ending.
Then you can watch the movies. The movies are an completely alternative version of the story.
Both, the series and the movies are great in their own way:)
Mar 27, 2023 11:05 PM
Jul 2022
TatsuDragunov said:
both, there are differences in the rebuild that only makes sense when you watched the anime and the end of Evangelion movie, of course you can just watch the rebuild but you will miss some narrative/plot points, none of them crucial but all important

Now I just wanna know if it is okay for me to watch only the original Anime and the movie or do I also have to watch the rebuilds to fully understand the story. I wanna understand the whole story without anything left or any confusion. So is it ok?
Mar 27, 2023 11:25 PM
Apr 2020
both. both are must
Mar 27, 2023 11:27 PM
Feb 2022
original then New stuff
Mar 28, 2023 12:21 AM
Oct 2022
Watch both but the og is better
Mar 28, 2023 12:47 AM
Dec 2022
Original. 1000% the original
Mar 28, 2023 12:57 AM
Apr 2019
nopsik said:

this is considered a war crime dude
Mar 28, 2023 1:02 AM
Jun 2022
LightOfHope said:
nopsik said:

It just straught facts dude 😭 The show fell off SOO hard
Mar 28, 2023 1:48 AM
May 2018
deffinitely the original
Mar 28, 2023 1:59 AM
Aug 2022
remake is great but original better
Mar 28, 2023 2:14 AM

Nov 2022
The first movie is a pseudo-remake, the rest is an alternative story line.
Mar 28, 2023 3:06 AM
Feb 2021
Both for certain. They're both similar initially but rebuild really go into an interesting direction. Neon Genesis is good on it's own, but if you want a complete, actually fulfilling story, it's worth giving the rebuilds a shot after you've finished the series and End of.
Mar 28, 2023 3:11 AM
Dec 2019
Levi1108 said:
TatsuDragunov said:

Now I just wanna know if it is okay for me to watch only the original Anime and the movie or do I also have to watch the rebuilds to fully understand the story. I wanna understand the whole story without anything left or any confusion. So is it ok?

only the anime: you will understand the fully history but will miss the end

anime + end of Evangelion movie: you will understand the full history and the end

only the rebuild: you will understand the full history but will miss some important plot points

watch all (in release order): you will understand the full history
Mar 28, 2023 3:22 AM
Dec 2021
please watch the original, it is definitely worth it!
Mar 28, 2023 4:12 AM
May 2015
Levi1108 said:

I have an impression that Rebuild is actually a SEQUEL to the original series, not a remake. I even read somewhere that Rebuild was made by its creators as a way to finally say farewell to Eva. There are multiple hints in the movies 1.11 and 2.22 that Shinji isn’t experiencing the whole Eva saga for the first time, which could mean that Shinji is kinda repeating the cycle in the reality of Eva, and only for a reason. And the end of 3+1 gives an ultimate end to the story in a way that End of Evangelion didn’t.

But imo Rebuild is not a must, unless you enjoy the series plus EoE too much. The original series is pretty much all-sufficient by itself.
UPD: damn, had to edit my comment immediately as I realized that I’ve put some unintentional spoilers in it, hopefully now it is spoiler-free.
16371370Mar 28, 2023 5:25 AM
Mar 28, 2023 5:38 AM
Dec 2016
Original.
The remake gets more & more different with each film. The original is a classic whose story & unique storytelling (especially of the "End of Evangelion" movie) deserves to be experienced as it is anyway.
Mar 28, 2023 5:43 AM
Jul 2020
Northern they’re both shut
If we kill all our enemies, will we finally be free?
Mar 28, 2023 5:45 AM
Jul 2022
ive only watched 3/4 of the rebuilds but so far id say go with the original first at least
Mar 28, 2023 5:47 AM
Jan 2021
Both. The remakes are sequels. You have to watch the series, End of Eva and then the 1-4 remakes.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 28, 2023 5:48 AM
Dec 2016
nopsik said:
LightOfHope said:

Maybe it fell off for you. And while that's a valid subjective opinion I guess, you've GOTTA know that you're in the extreme minority on this, right?

I mean, I can somewhat understand being frustrated by the too experimental/arthouse/vague last TWO episodes of the original anime, but that's about it. And even THOSE episodes make perfect sense after you watch the phenomenal "End of Evangelion" movie (which is the official ending of the original series anyway).
Mar 28, 2023 6:27 AM
Dec 2021
nopsik said:
LightOfHope said:

holy fuck this take is dogshit
Mar 28, 2023 6:29 AM
May 2022
ye, those 4 movies except end of evangelion movie are remakes
I prefer the original series more and then watch end of evangelion as it is the continuation of the og series
Tbh you can watch the 4 remake movies as well after the og one but watching the og one is a must
Mar 28, 2023 6:45 AM
Aug 2021
Having watched both, I prefer the remakes.

Does not change much from the original and way better animations plus a more direct story.
Mar 28, 2023 6:51 AM
Mar 2023
Forget watching  this  pseudo intellectual nonsense and watch Demon Slayer instead.
Mar 28, 2023 7:43 AM
Jul 2022
TatsuDragunov said:
Levi1108 said:

only the anime: you will understand the fully history but will miss the end

anime + end of Evangelion movie: you will understand the full history and the end

only the rebuild: you will understand the full history but will miss some important plot points

watch all (in release order): you will understand the full history

Alright, so I HAVE to watch everything in order to understand everything without any confusion. Thanks.
Mar 28, 2023 7:45 AM
Jul 2022
16371370 said:
Levi1108 said:

I have an impression that Rebuild is actually a SEQUEL to the original series, not a remake. I even read somewhere that Rebuild was made by its creators as a way to finally say farewell to Eva. There are multiple hints in the movies 1.11 and 2.22 that Shinji isn’t experiencing the whole Eva saga for the first time, which could mean that Shinji is kinda repeating the cycle in the reality of Eva, and only for a reason. And the end of 3+1 gives an ultimate end to the story in a way that End of Evangelion didn’t.

But imo Rebuild is not a must, unless you enjoy the series plus EoE too much. The original series is pretty much all-sufficient by itself.
UPD: damn, had to edit my comment immediately as I realized that I’ve put some unintentional spoilers in it, hopefully now it is spoiler-free.

Thanks. I was confused cuz some people say they're just rebuilds, but some people say they're actually a sequel or somewhat like a sequel.
I'll just watch everything.
Mar 28, 2023 7:52 AM
Mar 2022
I would suggest the original for beginners and if you liked it enough the remake series will sure be a treat. 😁👍
Mar 28, 2023 7:54 AM

Feb 2016
Levi1108 said:
The rebuilds are a different story.
その目だれの目?
Mar 28, 2023 8:13 AM
Dec 2022
Watch both, they have different endings and both are pretty good.
Mar 28, 2023 8:43 AM
Jan 2022
Originals + End of Evangelion are far, far more hard hitting although the rebuild also has great moments. But for sure the original is for choice
Mar 28, 2023 10:33 AM
Jun 2022
AlienXander said:
nopsik said:

holy fuck this take is dogshit

It isnt wrong though. The ending was extremely boring and lazily written. i dont understand how people like it 😭
Mar 28, 2023 12:04 PM
May 2015
Levi1108 said:
16371370 said:

Thanks. I was confused cuz some people say they're just rebuilds, but some people say they're actually a sequel or somewhat like a sequel.

I hope you’ll enjoy your Eva journey ^^
Mar 28, 2023 12:06 PM
May 2015
Levi1108 said:
16371370 said:

I hope you’ll enjoy your Eva journey ^^
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
May 16, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.