Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen Episode 9 Discussion

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 2, 2023 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, now that we get a closer look, Ryu's life really has been tragic....I'd say she may have the most tragic story compared to any other main character so far. Not just her....but the party she is with too. Some of those deaths were brutal!

To me, this was the darkest episode this season. Feels like even the music matched the mood and despair of how Ryu's party was annihilated. Ryu could've easily died that day too if her party didn't fight to the death. 
Mar 2, 2023 6:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
JC Staff: I sincerely apologize for all the crap I've said about you over the course of the years. You nailed this, you really did. I know the source material was top shelf, but this was unquestionably the most emotive and gripping chapter in the entire anime for me. When they gave Alize the Gainax death treatment I was almost in tears.

Music, dialogue, action, everything. Top tier episode this was. Saori Hayami was once again stellar as Ryuu and her screams of Bell's name will echo in perpetuity. She's going to become even more of a fan favourite than she already is, specially for anime onlies.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2023 6:43 AM
Nov 2021
Ryuu best girl, summary of this episode
Mar 2, 2023 6:50 AM
Aug 2017
Stark700 said:
Some of those deaths were brutal!
I don't think we've seen complete full body dismemberment before in this show, that's for sure. On the other hand, it's impressive how much punishment all of them could take and keep on fighting, I think that's also something that probably only Bell managed to do before in the show and now there is a whole bunch of badasses that just kept fighting through injuries that would be fatal to others.
Mar 2, 2023 6:54 AM
Jan 2021
Yesterday, I see Carol-chan heartbroken and sobbing. Today, I see Astrea Familia slaughtered and Ryu's torment. Man, rough couple days. :^{
Mar 2, 2023 6:58 AM
Dec 2014
Easily a 10/10 episode covering Ryu's tragic backstory with the feels from start to finish
Feb 2023
not gonna hold you this episode has to be top 10 episodes in the series once this anime is all done and over with
Dec 2020
Wow they nailed it danmachi s4 is soo good and i love how much ryu needed someone like bell to accept her also they look soo good together(even though they are covered in blood).
Mar 2, 2023 7:02 AM

Oct 2017
Ryu finally called Bell by his name, that scene was really tense, emotional and beautiful. Ryu blushing was really cute. Need Ryu x Bell, if they don't end up together after all this then it'll be really disappointing.

As for the backstory, now that was tragic and brutal damn.
Mar 2, 2023 7:13 AM
Jul 2017
now that was a great episode, i couldn't hold my tears Astrea Familia slaughtered and Ryu's torment and that last seen where ryu blushed . im speechless  
Mar 2, 2023 7:16 AM
Jul 2021
Episode 9 is very scary.. but the story and animation is so good.
Mar 2, 2023 7:45 AM
May 2021
This episode is definitely one of the best episodes in Danmachi. 
I felt really sorry for the Astrea Familia and Ryu though.....
Mar 2, 2023 8:00 AM

Oct 2013
Lol Bell acting knocked out had me laughing. Also, jesus Ryu's crew got butchered. I guess I wouldn't have wanted it any other way though
Mar 2, 2023 8:03 AM

May 2020
Wow this was really something. Best episode of this franchise till date.

Such tragedy filled backstory, to the point where it feels like those plenty of happy-go-lucky events till this point was a thing of faraway past. Ryu had it horrible but she still didn't succumb to the hardships, gotta respect her mental fortitude.

Could care less about the ships, but it was good to see Ryu getting something out of all of this with Bell.

Hayami Saori really nailed the voice work this episode.
Mar 2, 2023 8:03 AM

Jan 2012
the feeeeeels 😭😭😭😭
cried so much this ep
the insert song was beautiful
cant wait till it gets released

Mar 2, 2023 8:10 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Back then Astrea familia sure proved to be a mighty force to reckon with. But geeze the jug really made a mockery out of them when it ambushed them. Reading about this action really was haunting in the LN but it was even more so seeing it be animated and voiced. The haunting song really complemented their last fight magnificantly. It was even sadder that Ryu never even got the chance to bury her friends either. Lady Astrea must had been devastated to learn of the death of her children. Overall really liked this ep as it greatly expanded upon Ryu's past in perhaps the most tragic way possible while also showing how much she had changed after meeting Bell and her friends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2023 8:11 AM

Jul 2017
This was definitely where the conflict between the Astrea Familia and Jura's Evilus group first began, with the Juggernaut's instant kills of the Familia in one fell swoop. Not even Ryu managed to scratch it one bit, and certainly neither would the Familia live to see their survival outside the Dungeon with such brutal deaths. Of course, this wasn't spared fror Jura's group either, and for those who managed to survive, it was purely by fate and luck. But Alise coosing to sacrifice the others to let Ryu live, that was the lifelong trauma that she would not forget: the last breaths of her Familia. What a tragic backstory that Ryu has gone through to get to this point, and though a proper burial could not be done, it held lingering memories of the vengeance against the Rudra Familia and Jura's Evilus.

Having no options left, and getting booted out of Lady Astrea's Familia, Ryu was ready for fight to the death to exact her justice as the Gale Wind. And when she thinks that all she had was her Familia, it was Bell that paved the way for her new-found survival, thereby not allowing her to die on her own accord. The hero whom should always have been the rightful one in the first place, it was Ryu who set in motion the justice that she has been motivated with, and all they need to now is to get home in one piece.

Bell scaring Ryu with his near-death experience, that was certainly her heart's cry for him to get back on his feet. And a water source on the 37th Floor to clean up their wounds, the live to see another day.

DanMachi's been killing it every progressive season being the new pinnacle. Emotional, touching, and impactful.
Mar 2, 2023 8:13 AM
Dec 2019
The music in this episode gave me goosebumps
Mar 2, 2023 8:18 AM

Mar 2013
Fantastic episode!

They finally revealed most of Ryu's past and I've got to see Ryu, finally accepting herself and Bell's companionship. (or I think it was...)

The 3/4 of this episode shows quite a lot of flashbacks from the past and the rest are the current events taking place from the coliseum and a new found place for them to stay safe... or is it...?!

Is it just me or Ryu is blushing because of Bell's heroism or something else...? hmm, I gotta wait for the full details, I guess?

Next episode... last 2 episodes... no... >.<
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 2, 2023 8:27 AM
Dec 2011
Anyone notice the subtitle saying it was the 30th floor even though Ryu didn’t say it? Even the source material didn’t say what floor it was. Could it be Oomori was the translator all along?
AP24Mar 2, 2023 8:34 AM
Mar 2, 2023 8:39 AM
Sep 2022
bro the music in that flashback was amazing, everything else was also top notch
10/10 easily
Mar 2, 2023 8:55 AM

Apr 2020
This episode of Danmachi was easily one of the best episodes in terms of hype, emotions , music , fights.
JC Staff nailed it. 
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Slice of Life is all we need!
Mar 2, 2023 8:58 AM
Oct 2020
How is this only pg-13?! Even just the emotional trauma they gave was enough for the R rating
Mar 2, 2023 9:02 AM
Aug 2020
absolutely brutal
Mar 2, 2023 9:03 AM

Nov 2014
Huge props to whoever decided to split this backstory into short sequences every episode. It worked out incredibly well and this week's scene was absolute masterpiece. So emotional.

And then we get blushing Ryuu, which is a different kind of masterpiece :)
Mar 2, 2023 9:15 AM

Jan 2013
Best episode imo. 
Showed no BS, no OP plotholes, and wiped the Astrea family clean! 
It was very satisfying to see that cocky family go down. 
I guess Astrea is really not that perceptive or taught her members to be humble and not charge in blindly. 
They lacked a strategist and earned their rightful reward for it.
WELL DONE FOR NOT SIMPING!
Mar 2, 2023 9:17 AM

Jan 2013
CrunchyCrobat said:
How is this only pg-13?! Even just the emotional trauma they gave was enough for the R rating
You can't be serious 
Mar 2, 2023 9:20 AM

Jul 2011
Tragic backstory, horrible Astrea family deaths. Sad.

But now, gaming mentality, how much EXP Ryuu stored after the deliverance of karma? And how much EXP a god would drop? I mean a killing a god would be cool, very JRPG like.
Mar 2, 2023 9:24 AM
Apr 2016
worst danmachi episode so far in my opinion. the flashback was way too long and felt out of place. I don t care at all. They should have explained ryu's backstory way before for me to care, for example at the beginning of the season... It just looked like a bad excuse to not show how Bell saved her in the previous episode.
Mar 2, 2023 9:24 AM

Jul 2022
Whew, nothing was held back in this one. Bell's grandfather would be proud, I bet.
Mar 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Sep 2014
Felt bad to see the whole Astraea Familia wiped like that. 
Think it's probably the first time Ryu calls Bell by his first name, or she doesn't do it often. More blushing Ryu always good!
Mar 2, 2023 9:31 AM

Jun 2014
Damn. Just damn. What an emotional and brutal episode. I'm glad they didn't hold back on showing the slaughter of the Astrea Familia. Saori Hayami deserves all the awards. Her voice acting specifically during the Luminous Wind chant and how her voice was breaking was fantastic. This is probably the first time an episode of Danmachi had me holding back tears, and the amazing OST definitely did its job on that front. Just wow, what an episode. 
thebrentinator24Mar 2, 2023 9:50 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 2, 2023 9:40 AM
Dec 2022
An absolute masterpiece.
Mar 2, 2023 9:50 AM
Sep 2022
One of the best episodes of DanMachi AND anime I've ever seen in my life!!!!

Kudos to the staff, DanMachi had never been more better!! Here's to the last two episodes being great!! KANPAI!!
Mar 2, 2023 9:57 AM

Mar 2021
Even knowing for a while how Ryuu's former party met their demise, I was not really ready for that. It was already hard to watch the flashbacks just knowing they were all going to die rather brutally, but recounting the actual event was just heartbreaking. The fact that the production values were top notch this episode (animation, voice acting, music, etc.) just made it all the more impactful. Quite a journey from where the series started.
Mar 2, 2023 10:13 AM
May 2021
No wonder she's so stiff, anyway it seems like their finally gonna get somewhere new. I'm hoping their asses get out of there soon, it feels like they've been there a minute since this is the 9th episode.
The flashback was great, I felt bad for her former team, but moving on.
Mar 2, 2023 10:15 AM
Apr 2021
I'm literally have tears flowing 😭. The Astraea Familia's death was so brutal.For Ryu to have a backstory like that is the most tragic I've seen so far. She want on seeking revenge and damn.As for Bell and Ryu, they had a wholesome moment and the fact Bell did what he did to draw the Barbarian's attention shows how much he's matured since season 3. Now they're resting and healing up with the Juggernaut out there somewhere
Mar 2, 2023 10:18 AM
Apr 2021
zamasz said:
Stark700 said:
Some of those deaths were brutal!
I don't think we've seen complete full body dismemberment before in this show, that's for sure. On the other hand, it's impressive how much punishment all of them could take and keep on fighting, I think that's also something that probably only Bell managed to do before in the show and now there is a whole bunch of badasses that just kept fighting through injuries that would be fatal to others.

IKR. With bravery and determination like that they were truly awesome adventurers. To see that kind of bravery from other then Bell is jaw dropping and sad. If the Astraea Familia survived or the Juggernaut incident never happened they would be outstanding First Tier Adventurers
Mar 2, 2023 10:31 AM
Apr 2021
Y’all makin me jealous and left out haha wish I was watching this and caught up but I ain’t XD
Mar 2, 2023 10:33 AM

Jan 2009
so thats the whole backstory of Ryu its tragic alright

the Survivors Guilt of Ryu is strong

and Ryu x Bell now?
Mar 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Apr 2010
Well now we know what happened, well we already knew that Ryu wiped out another guild after how own got wiped out but now we know exactly what happened.
Ryuu has a big trauma about her past not to mention the guild of what happened, it's questionable if she will even come to term with those things tho.
Now the question is when will the be able to reach safety seeing as things have gone from bad to worse even since this arc started.
Mar 2, 2023 10:44 AM
Feb 2021
Backstory song name please
Mar 2, 2023 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Even though we knew about the fall of Astrea Familia, their death was brutal. Like damn, it honestly was hard to watch. Ryu's backstory was tragic.

Overall, this episode was pretty damn good.

Mar 2, 2023 11:21 AM
Feb 2022
TheHubrisofMan said:
Yesterday, I see Carol-chan heartbroken and sobbing. Today, I see Astrea Familia slaughtered and Ryu's torment. Man, rough couple days. :^{

& tomorrow be prepare for the rumbling 😂
Mar 2, 2023 11:24 AM
Jun 2022
Dude are we sure this is the same anime ? Cause I don't remember seeing all the girl being brutally massacre before. Those death are horrible af, torn to piece, bodies dismembered. tearing of limb form limb, electrified and burn alive.

Are this supposedly on air at all ? Usually I don't see much of a suddenly turing the rating from 13+ to 17+. It's start with feel good adventure or brutality from the get go.
Mar 2, 2023 11:29 AM

Jun 2017
Oh god angry pouting Ryu is just fucking adorable, never expected her to swoop the best girl position.
Mar 2, 2023 11:31 AM
Apr 2017
amazing episode. probably the most planned in terms of adding things that aren't just from the books. well timed as well with the release of the astrea storylines. Hayami Saori is seriously awesome voicing Ryu.
Mar 2, 2023 11:37 AM
Feb 2020
I was expecting Ryus party to die but I did not expect this! This was a total curbstomp, most of them didnt even have enough time to react, The Juggernaut DOES NOT mess around! I dont read the novels but frankly I dont know how the series can surpass this arc, and this just the story alone dont even get me started on the music!

Also, I try to avoid shipping in shows like these but gods dammit, it's really facking hard to ressist jumping on the Bell x Ryu bandwagon right now, their development is something to behold. 
Mar 2, 2023 11:57 AM

Feb 2014
All of those small flashbacks have really helped to make the moment where the Astrea Familia got massacred by the Juggernaut even more brutal, sad and memorable than it would've done without the build up. The way that some of the Familia members were killed off was VERY graphic, which only goes to showcase just how terrifying the Juggernaut really is. Despite the odds against them, Alise, Kaguya and Lyla, even with their injuries, threw caution to the wind and battled to the bitter end while giving Ryu a chance to escape.

J.C Staff easily went for it in terms of production values as well. The music, both orchestrated and vocal songs, was sombre and captured the mood beautifully, the animation quality was excellent and the voice acting was top notch. All of this exemplifies just how sad Ryu's backstory is, feeling that survivor's guilt as she sworn cold-blooded revenge on anyone who was part of or affiliated with the Jura or Evilus Familia.

Back in the present, thanks to Bell's surprise attack, he and Ryu were underneath the Colosseum on a hidden path, where Bell's defiant belief in Ryu and his talk about justice was enough to make her well up in tears. It did get scary when an enemy did sneak in and put Bell in a tight spot, leaving Ryu so shocked that she called him by his first name for the first time (At least I think so), but he simply played unconscious so that he could kill the enemy in one hit. After that, the pair find a small stream where they could relax, heal and drink some much needed water.

What a stellar episode this is. There's only two episodes left now, so maybe Bell and Ryu can reach the safer floors pretty soon. Knowing where they are, you can't rule out another enemy ambush, but here's hoping their path now will be a lot quieter and smoother.
Mar 2, 2023 12:11 PM
Nov 2019
The pain when they felt leaving lion behind, this season is pretty intense and is very emotional !
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

206 by AnchientProphet2 »»
May 26, 11:56 PM

» Am I the only one thinking that about these OST ?

NekoToChiru - Mar 3

19 by therealnagora »»
Mar 28, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2023

58 by Thisismobarok »»
Feb 22, 8:16 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2023

123 by amlg »»
Feb 10, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2023

103 by amlg »»
Feb 10, 5:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.