Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2023 2:06 AM

Jan 2021
I am aware that, just like with any other show, there will always be people who won't like it, no matter how wonderful it may be for others. This show appears to have been created with a specific audience in mind, and thus not everyone will be able to appreciate it.

As someone who looks up this anime, nothing is more annoying than seeing someone who is likely unable to comprehend the plot, can hardly even digest it, and then proceeds to mock it. (Without a proper critique) they act as if they have superior taste, when in fact they simply lack attention span.

(I'm not generalizing anyone who doesn't like this anime, just those who I described.)

due to a bunch of normies who mistakenly believed this anime was a romance-core and ended up finding the story boring. I can't help but wish this anime never got as popular than neccesary.

(Apparently, there will always be trolls who mock any show that can be considered overrated.) I advise any people who have this anime on their list to not mistook it as romance. I swear, it won't satisfy you.
Feb 13, 2023 2:25 AM

Dec 2021
The whole "Slice of Life" Genre is not for everyone
"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
.Δ±lΔ±.lΔ±llΔ±lΔ±.Δ±llΔ±.
» JELEE «
0:00 〇────── 4:20
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Feb 13, 2023 2:27 AM

May 2021
most of the LN adaptations are better in the forms of book imo. Hyouka anime was a great adaptation but it's better as a novel
Feb 13, 2023 2:37 AM
Aug 2021
you just described my friend exactly after i showed him this anime. it upsets me that he couldn't understand it. but i guess it's whatever. at least you and i didn't miss out on this great anime.
Feb 13, 2023 2:48 AM

Jun 2016
Anime fans saying their favorite anime is not for everyone to make themselves feel special. 
Feb 13, 2023 2:56 AM

Jan 2021
Edocchi said:
Anime fans saying their favorite anime is not for everyone to make themselves feel special. 

bro jumping to conclusion and think it describes them. you're just being stereotypical.
Feb 13, 2023 3:42 AM

Dec 2021
Indeed some shows are highly esoteric and only aimed towards those who can process their minds while watching
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Feb 13, 2023 4:26 AM

Nov 2019
It's still boring, though. Almost falling asleep during rewatch.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 13, 2023 4:36 AM
Jan 2021
Do you genuinely believe that you’re something great for liking this series?
Feb 13, 2023 4:39 AM

Jan 2021
Oremonogatari said:

did I said something like that? lol
Feb 13, 2023 4:45 AM
Aug 2022
you are absolutely right, Hyouka is the best slice of life anime imo and it will always be like this
Feb 13, 2023 4:45 AM

Jan 2021
SgtBateMan said:
It's still boring, though. Almost falling asleep during rewatch.

if youre not into the series, then youre not. even if you rewatch many times as you want. its not gonna do anything
Feb 13, 2023 4:46 AM
Jan 2021
KevinRin said:
Oremonogatari said:

Implications do exist, surprisingly. You said the show is made with a certain audience in mind, but isn’t that most shows? You attributed the dislike of this show to their short attention span. You called them normies. By attributing negative characteristics to the people who dislike the show, you remove the possibility of those characteristics to those who do enjoy it, like yourself. Taking this into consideration, how can it not seem like you view yourself as great? It pains me to see a good series with such a pretentious fan stinking it up. A lot of what you said is pointless anyway, as such is the case with pretty much any series.
OremonogatariFeb 13, 2023 4:50 AM
Feb 13, 2023 4:51 AM

Jan 2021
Oremonogatari said:
KevinRin said:

Implications do exist, surprisingly. You said the show is made with a certain audience in mind, but isn’t that most shows? You attributed the dislike of this show to their short attention span. You called them normies. By attributing negative characteristics to the people who dislike the show, you remove the possibility of those characteristics to those who do enjoy it, like yourself. It pains me to see a good series with such a pretentious fan stinking it up.

Didn't I say I'm not referring to everyone, just those who I describe?

Besides, those types of people can be annoying not only in particular series but also in all anime in general.
Feb 13, 2023 4:53 AM
Jan 2021
I like the premise & the anime is beautifully animated. I think people do not seem to like it cuz it has an ordinary plot. Not too casual yet not too dramatic. It has potential, but the character depthness seems a little shallow cuz there's no clear conclusion or development behind the characters at least that's memorable. For me, initially i would give it a 7/10 but as years passed by i could barely remember what's it abt... So 6/10
Feb 13, 2023 4:58 AM

Jan 2021
Oremonogatari said:
KevinRin said:

It pains me to see a good series with such a pretentious fan stinking it up. A lot of what you said is pointless anyway, as such is the case with pretty much any series.

by time many people said the series is boring, its already been degraded. its not like i can do anything about it.
Feb 13, 2023 4:58 AM
Jan 2021
KevinRin said:
Oremonogatari said:

Implications do exist, surprisingly. You said the show is made with a certain audience in mind, but isn’t that most shows? You attributed the dislike of this show to their short attention span. You called them normies. By attributing negative characteristics to the people who dislike the show, you remove the possibility of those characteristics to those who do enjoy it, like yourself. It pains me to see a good series with such a pretentious fan stinking it up.

Besides, those types of people can be annoying not only in particular series but also in all anime in general.

I am aware that you’re only talking about specific people. Which is why I said all of what you said is pretty useless, since these ‘specific people’ exist everywhere. If you mentioned the proportions of those people in a given audience compared to Hyouka’s, it’d be useful, but you did not. Besides, you’d be hard pressed to find actual data proving your argument. Oh well though.
Feb 13, 2023 5:18 AM

Jan 2021
Oremonogatari said:
KevinRin said:

If you mentioned the proportions of those people in a given audience compared to Hyouka’s, it’d be useful, but you did not. Besides, you’d be hard pressed to find actual data proving your argument. Oh well though.

It's not like I'm writing a research paper to present statistical data, lol. Actually, I wouldn't post it in this forum if I was just assuming things up. Obviously, many people who find this boring are just like those I described, and there are many of them. How can I say? because it's obvious. especially that one time I saw a meme degrading this series with 10k+ reactions, and the comments really did fit on the description I made about them. 
if you find this post as useless, then go ahead.You'd be surprised at how many useless things you can find on the internet.
Besides, this post was not an argument to prove a point. I'm just trying to inform people who are planning to watch it.
KevinRinFeb 13, 2023 9:40 AM
Feb 13, 2023 5:39 AM

Nov 2019
KevinRin said:

if youre not into the series, then youre not. even if you rewatch many times as you want. its not gonna do anything

The irony is that I'm a big fan of the source material, lol
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 13, 2023 5:45 AM
Aug 2021
its more like a story for a novel not an anime
Feb 13, 2023 6:15 AM
Nov 2021
I just want the season 2 adaptation of Hyouka
Feb 13, 2023 7:02 AM

Jun 2021
I went in actually thinking it was going to be supernatural/suspense based. Especially after the gorgeous visuals in episode 1 (IMPORTANT NOTE: I try to go into shows knowing as little as possible because I think not knowing what you’re getting yourself into is more fun, so I knew nothing about this show other than it being Kyoto)

I think the main problems for me though were the animation and the story/pacing. The animation was fine but I admit I got my hopes up after figuring out it was Kyoto and after the first episode. It really felt like they used the whole budget on episode 1 and the end of the last episode and were just trying to scrape by for the rest.

The story really has that “villain of the week” Disney channel or Cartoon Network feel and it took me 20 episodes to realize that I’m not the target audience because that’s not my thing.

I also found the main girl absolutely unbearable but I can’t blame the character because I watched it in English so maybe her Japanese was easier to deal with?

If you bothered to read this I’ll conclude with:
I gave the show a 3 or 4 I think because I really didn’t like it, but I also totally get it’s just because the show wasn’t made for me and my preferences are elsewhere.

Thus concludes this rant and review lol
Feb 13, 2023 8:17 AM
Jul 2021
I was one of the people who came in thinking that this was your typical high-school drama (fresh after watching oregairu), and I was wrong.
However, I did not find the show boring at all. The whole aspect of the show really hooked me in, despite me having no interest in the mystery genre at all.
But I have to confess, there were some weaknesses I discovered within the anime.
All and all, this series was a worthy watch, an accidental adventure into something I had not watched before, and I enjoyed it nevertheless.
That's my take, but may I ask if there is there a peculiar incentive for this post? If it's just a rant, then I don't see much reason for this.
Feb 13, 2023 8:30 AM

Aug 2020
Why would any of us care? Anytime I see some dumbfuck talking crap about it I ask them kindly to go fuck themselves.

I'm not responsible for people's stupid braindead mindset for not understanding Hyouka's greatness.

Feb 13, 2023 9:19 AM
Jul 2022
I didn’t really enjoy the series, but for shows I do like it’s really annoying seeing people talking bad about shows without understanding them.
Feb 13, 2023 9:27 AM

Jan 2021
3piXJ4y said:
That's my take, but may I ask if there is there a peculiar incentive for this post? If it's just a rant, then I don't see much reason for this.

I see lots of posts pointing out their great dislike for this show and how dull it was. (Again, I'm not referring to anyone who didn't like the series, just those specific people mentioned.) In fact, if you look back on the past forum posts on this series, you'll see one as well.

So I figured I'd do the same, in order to refute it. I just feel like it's important to emphasize that this show isn't something that everyone will enjoy.

Actually, some people making fun of this show isn't that of a big deal for me. (I've seen a lot of it for the past years ever since I watched it) It only annoys me, but I won't go as far from that. (I'm not that of a die-hard fan) But I just thought it needed to be here at the very least. So, yes, it could be a rant while also informing future audiences about the anime.
KevinRinFeb 13, 2023 9:32 AM
Feb 13, 2023 3:28 PM

Nov 2010
Ignore other people their opinions... Like what you like and hate what you hate...

Don't try finding confirmation from other people (especially strangers on a forum or social media) because you're going to have a bad time.
Feb 13, 2023 3:45 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well you got that right. This really was only meant for a particular audience in mind, rather than trying to please as many as possible. Because damn, it was quite boring. Mad respect to those who did enjoy it though. They must be of a superior species with high IQ and long attention spans. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 13, 2023 4:14 PM

Oct 2013
It's objectively a decent show.
School setting must be relatable and loved, unless you only go to school to get bullied because you're a nerd.
Little bit of romance between handsome and beautiful characters is romantic, unless you're ugly and never have a bf/gf.
Looks good feels good, easy on the eyes, unless you only watch edgy anime to compensate your goofy ahh personality.
Always have mystery to solve is exciting, unless you only have 2 digits IQ and can only watch action genre.
Tl;dr don't blame a decent show, blame your parents to give birth to you.
Feb 13, 2023 6:52 PM
Sep 2017
KevinRin said:
I am aware that, just like with any other show, there will always be people who won't like it, no matter how wonderful it may be for others. This show appears to have been created with a specific audience in mind, and thus not everyone will be able to appreciate it.

As someone who looks up this anime, nothing is more annoying than seeing someone who is likely unable to comprehend the plot, can hardly even digest it, and then proceeds to mock it. (Without a proper critique) they act as if they have superior taste, when in fact they simply lack attention span.

(I'm not generalizing anyone who doesn't like this anime, just those who I described.)

due to a bunch of normies who mistakenly believed this anime was a romance-core and ended up finding the story boring. I can't help but wish this anime never got as popular than neccesary.

(Apparently, there will always be trolls who mock any show that can be considered overrated.) I advise any people who have this anime on their list to not mistook it as romance. I swear, it won't satisfy you.

I'm a fan of Investigation and a great lesson I've learned with this show is that we need to look our daily lives in a different way: there are a lot of mysteries and interesting things in our ordinary lives that can turn it into a great experience. It isn't boring.
(for example, we don't need to be a detective or have great case to solve...we just need to pay attention - As Sherlock Holmes once said "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes").
But some people don't get that when they watch this Anime...
Feb 14, 2023 4:45 AM
Dec 2022
Bro This anime is awesome and of course as many said 'The Slice of Life' genre is not for everyone. I accept it as a masterpiece no matter what other says.
Feb 14, 2023 11:05 AM
May 2022
I guess it was a mystery show mixed in with Slice of Life
But there wasn't much of good drama to keep me excited or mysteries with higher stakes to keep me on edge
But I did like all the characters though and thought that they made it interesting especially the initial mystery of the show and the short film one.
Feb 14, 2023 11:07 AM
May 2022
Oremonogatari said:
KevinRin said:

Implications do exist, surprisingly. You said the show is made with a certain audience in mind, but isn’t that most shows? You attributed the dislike of this show to their short attention span. You called them normies. By attributing negative characteristics to the people who dislike the show, you remove the possibility of those characteristics to those who do enjoy it, like yourself. Taking this into consideration, how can it not seem like you view yourself as great? It pains me to see a good series with such a pretentious fan stinking it up. A lot of what you said is pointless anyway, as such is the case with pretty much any series.

I think he just said that people approached the show thinking it was a Romantic show and got disappointed.
same thing happened with me for Darling in the FranXX.
Feb 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Sep 2020
Thanks for that, I thought my hamster could watch it with me.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 14, 2023 6:24 PM
Oct 2022
I really like it that show, but I understand everyone said awful and boring too… because it’s not romance :/
Feb 14, 2023 10:48 PM
May 2020
It’s good to know your audience.

I have a friend, who mostly enjoys action stuff, who asked me what my fave anime’s are and I mentioned Hyouka. I said right after that though I don’t recommend it to him because it is very dialogue heavy and I know he wouldn’t enjoy it.

If you don’t like the show you don’t like the show. And it’s fine if you don’t like it. But I think it is a little harsh to completely disregard and put the show down if it isn’t your thing.
Feb 15, 2023 12:12 AM
Jan 2019
So just ignoring all the weird ass comments, I do agree with your point which is when shows don’t exceed peoples’s expectations they shit on it without critique giving it a bad name in the process. A great example is the anime Haruchika which was marketed to be a love triangle story but ended up making a 180 turn to the detective genre. People in this thread misinterpreted your comment due to their lack of comprehension..

Yes it bothers me too. That’s what I’m saying, but we can’t do much about it other than critique shows properly ourselves.
Feb 17, 2023 11:48 PM
Oct 2020
Chronon said:
The whole "Slice of Life" Genre is not for everyone

Well said.
I need 15 characters so I wrote this additional sentence!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

267 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.