Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2023 8:41 AM
Jan 2022
The overall premise [font="\"Google Sans\", arial, sans-serif"]of Sonny Boy was very intruging and interesting. Artstyle used was very unique and refreshing in this anime. Even the environment was also mysterious.Music was great as well.But the story proved to be too abstract and artistic.If only it had more depth in its story it would have been anime of the decade.First episode definetely gave feeling of a masterpiece but the anime chose the artistic abstract path.[/font]
gamiboJan 28, 2023 8:46 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2023 8:46 AM
May 2016
Lol, hard to find stories with more depth than this. But yes, you first need to understand what's going on in each episodes. Without that I can imagine it feels as something without depth.
Jan 28, 2023 8:57 AM
Jan 2022
ktg said:
Lol, hard to find stories with more depth than this. But yes, you first need to understand what's going on in each episodes. Without that I can imagine it feels as something without depth.
I expected a reply like this.I understood story of every episode,dont think urself as a rare person to comprehend this anime. It still felt it could have been better.Its score reflects that.There r other anime that r not easy to understand but still got above 8/9 rating.There must be a reason.No?
Jan 28, 2023 8:58 AM

Aug 2020
I think it's good as is. It didn't become popular but is sure is memorable for those who have watched it.
Jan 28, 2023 9:06 AM
Apr 2019
gamibo said:
ktg said:
I expected a reply like this.I understood story of every episode,dont think urself as a rare person to comprehend this anime. It still felt it could have been better.Its score reflects that.There r other anime that r not easy to understand but still got above 8/9 rating.There must be a reason.No?

so your evidence for it not being as good as it could have been is that it is rated low on myanimelist?
yeah idk if i believe you understood the show and then formed an independent opinion on it:/
Jan 28, 2023 9:11 AM
Feb 2021
i think it's a great anime, can be considered masterpiece, why wouldn't it be?
Jan 28, 2023 9:20 AM
Aug 2021
gamibo said:
The overall premise [font="\"Google Sans\", arial, sans-serif"]of Sonny Boy was very intruging and interesting. Artstyle used was very unique and refreshing in this anime. Even the environment was also mysterious.Music was great as well.But the story proved to be too abstract and artistic.If only it had more depth in its story it would have been anime of the decade.First episode definetely gave feeling of a masterpiece but the anime chose the artistic abstract path.[/font]

the texts couldn't render properly on mobile mal app. does any other user encounter the same problem?
Jan 28, 2023 9:27 AM
Sep 2021
It’s very deep actually. And that was its main problem. I strongly doubt your average weeb would be willing to spend their time trying to understand all the symbolism in each episode and then figure out the meaning of the entire show. I saw this complaint a lot that it’s too complicated and well that’s its main purpose. To be a piece of abstract art. I just don’t think it’s for everyone
Jan 28, 2023 9:29 AM
Jun 2019
It's sad how your post is already getting attacked by eager fans.

Sonny boy is like the clothing in Emperor's New Clothes.
"If you don't think it's a masterpiece, you didn't understand. It has so much depth and it's telling a very touching tale"

And a lot of elitists fall into the trap. Because an Anime takes a rare approach to telling a story, it must automatically be a masterpiece and people who do not appreciate it do not understand it.
There is such a thing as trying too hard.
Jan 28, 2023 9:36 AM
Sep 2021
gamibo said:
ktg said:

Mal score is not valid. There are too many things that can lead to a higher or a lower score. Your logic is rather flawed. Devilman Crybaby has a very deep story and a beautiful message yet it sits around the same score as sonny boy. But score doesn’t matter at all cause the only thing these numbers can show is a somewhat inaccurate estimate of the overall reception from the people who chose to add it to their mal list and rank it. There are just too many factors that can shift the score and since not every weeb uses mal (and there are even cases of people who complete anime but not score them), then the score should not be heavily taken into account when we’re talking about an anime/manga
Jan 28, 2023 9:38 AM

Mar 2021
Deadman Wonderland, good idea, good premise, horrible characters
Jan 28, 2023 9:45 AM
Jun 2021
Lack of depth, I’d call it a lack of understanding... The sea can not be explored deeper than it is deep. From the very start Sonny Boy was to just be in the wind, this even the writer knew. A masterpiece can not be commonly understood as that is what makes it a masterpiece.
///
Jan 28, 2023 9:47 AM
Jun 2021
Kockorzo said:
Lack of depth, I’d call it a lack of understanding... The sea can not be explored deeper than it is deep. From the very start Sonny Boy was to just be in the wind, this even the writer knew. A masterpiece can not be commonly understood as that is what makes it a masterpiece.

If you would want my personal opinion, I wouldn’t rate it too high.
///
Jan 28, 2023 10:16 AM
May 2016
gamibo said:
ktg said:
And I expected this reply, which actually proves my point. If you are really on that level where you can understand this show, then you would knew that ratings mean nothing when we talk about shows like this.
Simply because most people don't understand it, so they gave it a lower score. Similar thing happened to Godzilla SP. Hardcore Godzilla fans were expecting a 13-ep long kaijuu battle, but it was a sci-fi dialogue heavy show with small amount of kaijuu fight. They didn't get what they expected and what they got was hard to understand. For that reason, it has 6.6, while it was one of the best show of that year.

So, no, you most likely did not understand this show.
Jan 28, 2023 10:47 AM
Oct 2020
Listen brudda imma tell you one thing, there is not a single show that anyone can call a 'masterpiece'. If a person ever calls a show/movie/book/art/ etc A masterpiece then it's most likely dependent on how that particular person has lived his life so far and how the way he lived had impacted his interest. So... it (sonny boy) may truly be a masterpiece for some people and because of that certain someone who might be quite popular might have influenced that 'sonny boy is a masterpiece' to his audience/fans and that audience/fans might have made it into some bs that only intellectuals understand this shit and smth like that but in turn, they are just defending it because their favorite content creator called it a masterpiece. This, in turn, leads to another wave that consists of those who only take the majority's hand and ain't give a shit about the source of the majority's thoughts and they too start spouting random bs to defend.
Ok, now my opinion about the show.
Tbh I felt that this show was more of an experiment rather than a masterpiece or some way to entertain ourselves. This can be seen in the way this story is written and the way the animators have animated it. And the director/writer knew this. This show tried to do something like love, death, robots (one of the best Netflix original series) except in an experimental way like they gave us a completely new story in each episode except it is connected way before ep1 one happened and it's these new stories they introduced in each episode helped the actual plot move forward. And the characters, it seemed like we are emotionally attached to the characters but at the same time not, and how each character has a side that we hated but never noticed as that kind of side had been dissolved by other characters and they applied the same rule to the literal characters in the show that they applied for us like we can clearly see the characters being emotionally supportive to each other but at the same time not and how there are characters that complain about others hate able side like being wimpy, selfish and similar stuff like that. It's like they all want others to act more 'their' perfect and not as themselves similar to how we want the fictional characters to but their clumsy/annoying side is getting in the way of being a perfect character to 'us'. That ending is a perfect fit for a show that's being experimental because it felt like I have found something new to experience, an ending that actually confused me but at the same time thought it is acceptable. So overall this show is more of an experiment rather than a source of entertainment, so I wouldn't call the show a masterpiece.
monke_guyJan 28, 2023 11:00 AM
Jan 28, 2023 11:30 AM
Mar 2020
Yelltah said:
I think it's good as is. It didn't become popular but is sure is memorable for those who have watched it.

yep, pretty memorable indeed, including what a waste of an ending. I'm still disappointed by the ending to this day
Jan 28, 2023 11:46 AM

Aug 2020
Sephir7 said:
Yelltah said:

yep, pretty memorable indeed, including what a waste of an ending. I'm still disappointed by the ending to this day

I really liked the ending the most disappointing thing was your last birthday party.
Jan 28, 2023 11:51 AM
Mar 2020
Yelltah said:
Sephir7 said:

I really liked the ending the most disappointing thing was your last birthday party.

that was the dumbest ending I've ever watched in an anime dude, that's also the reason I can't find people who even liked the show, it's quite rare to find an idiot like yourself who thinks someone gut punched them by their opinions that they straight up insult them.
Jan 28, 2023 11:57 AM

Aug 2020
Sephir7 said:
Yelltah said:

that was the dumbest ending I've ever watched in an anime dude, that's also the reason I can't find people who even liked the show, it's quite rare to find an idiot like yourself who thinks someone gut punched them by their opinions that they straight up insult them.

Nobody showed up, it was a depressing scene you singing happy birthday to yourself and screaming like a banshee gulping that shitty cake.
Jan 28, 2023 1:48 PM
Mar 2020
Yelltah said:
Sephir7 said:

Nobody showed up, it was a depressing scene you singing happy birthday to yourself and screaming like a banshee gulping that shitty cake.

lmao, you just prove my point more and more, how butthurt are you right now, I wouldn't mind a detailed info on that.
Jan 28, 2023 1:54 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Great idea and concept but poor execution, overall a pretentious show with such horrible characters, using the atypical artstyle only to cover its flaws in writing.
Jan 28, 2023 2:10 PM

Aug 2020
Sephir7 said:
Yelltah said:

lmao, you just prove my point more and more, how butthurt are you right now, I wouldn't mind a detailed info on that.

I'm sorry but you sound like this IIIIIIHRRRRRRGGHHHYYYY AAAAAAHHHHHHHGGNNN NGNNNNNN NGMNMMHMMM WOOOOOOHOOOOHOOHOHOO AAAAARRGHNNN YRP YRRRRRRRP
Jan 28, 2023 2:10 PM
Nov 2020
it is a masterpiece
Jan 28, 2023 2:22 PM
May 2020
masterpiece doesn't always equate to popularity, I still understand the beauty that was associated with its abstraction but doesn't have any mainstream qualities that would hook the passive audience
Jan 28, 2023 2:54 PM
Mar 2020
Yelltah said:
Sephir7 said:

I'm sorry but you sound like this IIIIIIHRRRRRRGGHHHYYYY AAAAAAHHHHHHHGGNNN NGNNNNNN NGMNMMHMMM WOOOOOOHOOOOHOOHOHOO AAAAARRGHNNN YRP YRRRRRRRP

lmao, could you elaborate, it feels like you got something on your chest that you want to insult me about, so instead of burying it deep just get on with it dude.
Jan 28, 2023 3:18 PM
Jul 2019
it is already a masterpiece.
Jan 28, 2023 4:09 PM
Jul 2020
murisio said:
it is a masterpiece

you my friend have brains and taste, all these other weebs with like 9days of anime total anime watch time stfu
Jan 28, 2023 4:26 PM
Jun 2019
Well, I feel it was good, I didn't understand it, but I won't say it lacks depth. In fact everything felt meaningful in some way, that there was a lot to uncover and think about. The abstract and artistic nature is what makes it special and if it went the super-powered Lord of the flies route I thought it would be originally it would be way less memorable. It probably won't be liked by a majority of people, but that’s okay. I don’t think anyone in the creative field is obligated to make something that's for everyone, it's the creative field, the point is to express yourself even now when the vision gets crushed by the industry. I didn’t watch many metaphorical shows because frankly they scare me, but there’s a time and place for them as any other type of show
Jan 28, 2023 6:01 PM
Apr 2019
Sephir7 said:
Yelltah said:

lmao, could you elaborate, it feels like you got something on your chest that you want to insult me about, so instead of burying it deep just get on with it dude.

i think people will turn up to your next birthday once you stop pretending to be hachiman :)
Jan 28, 2023 6:03 PM
Mar 2020
pureguava said:
Sephir7 said:

i think people will turn up to your next birthday once you stop pretending to be hachiman :)

lol, tbh I don't celebrate my birthday and I wouldn't want to at all.
Jan 28, 2023 6:16 PM
Feb 2020
gamibo said:

For me Sonny Boy was absolutely magnificent, I honestly thought it was perfect, and yeah, it is not for every person, you have to be "trained" to appreciate it at its fullest. It even turned into one of my most favorite animes of all time. About the score, even though a 7+ is good, I think it is extremely low, for me it is AT LEAST an 8.60 but anyway, what matters is that I had the pleasure to watch it.
Jan 28, 2023 6:24 PM
Jul 2022
Cabbage_Cat said:
gamibo said:

the texts couldn't render properly on mobile mal app. does any other user encounter the same problem?

I encountered this issue on this post. I often encounter it elsewhere too.
Jan 28, 2023 6:25 PM

Aug 2018
I kinda lost interest after listening to that retard yell for ten minutes straight about monkeys playing baseball.
Jan 28, 2023 7:26 PM

Jul 2019
@gamibo

It would be better if you can elaborate on what you mean since you're pretty much spewing out the census opinion on the flaw of Sonny Boy. 

But, if I'm going to give an opinion here, then I'll say that Sonny Boy was a special show for me. It was a show that I didn't fully grasp and still don't with 2 rewatches ever since the end of its broadcasting. What I can say is that of feelings that I had when rewatching the show both times. Those feelings of a journey, self-inspection, and acceptance. Those feelings that I got were special because the show somehow gave me all sorts of emotions and managed to conclude with satisfaction. I think the series losses people if you think too much and try to make sense of it all. I would say that you need to just accept what the show is presenting and figure it out from there. Get into the feels of the characters especially since there are lots of different characters--even between episodes. I heavily recommend you rewatch it. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 28, 2023 7:38 PM
Aug 2021
Artemis7827 said:
Cabbage_Cat said:

are you also using dark theme on the mal app?
upon further look on the source of the original post, it seems like the issue might be due to the interaction between dark theme on mal app and the specified color (#202124, which is also fairly dark) for the text that i couldn't see.
it seems like when the colour isn't specified explicitly by the user, the text colour would automatically render to a brighter one on the viewer's device when the user is using dark theme (so the first few words of the original post can be seen).
the screenshots are the difference between bright and dark mode when viewing the original post on my phone in app.
Cabbage_CatJan 28, 2023 7:57 PM
Jan 28, 2023 7:39 PM

Apr 2019
Sonny Boy didn't lacked depth. It had a lot of themes that it was trying to explore. What Sonny Boy lacked however was good characters and a meaningful plot progression. Sonny Boy was more interested in exploring all kinds of themes than it was in actually telling a story. Overall it just felt like a failed attempt at creating a masterpiece to me.
Jan 28, 2023 9:19 PM

Dec 2021
This is already a Masterpiece 
Unfortunately, it requires a skill that only few individuals possess to comprehend such greatness
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Jan 28, 2023 11:04 PM
Jan 2022
it has "more depth" to its story. it's just a matter of whether you can see it or not.
Jan 28, 2023 11:12 PM
Jul 2022
Cabbage_Cat said:
Artemis7827 said:

are you also using dark theme on the mal app?
upon further look on the source of the original post, it seems like the issue might be due to the interaction between dark theme on mal app and the specified color (#202124, which is also fairly dark) for the text that i couldn't see.
it seems like when the colour isn't specified explicitly by the user, the text colour would automatically render to a brighter one on the viewer's device when the user is using dark theme (so the first few words of the original post can be seen).
the screenshots are the difference between bright and dark mode when viewing the original post on my phone in app.

Ah! I see now. I will change mine now. Thank you!
Jan 29, 2023 11:23 AM
Jan 2017
It could’ve been, and it was
Jan 30, 2023 1:42 AM
Nov 2020
AreKuse said:
murisio said:
it is a masterpiece

you my friend have brains and taste, all these other weebs with like 9days of anime total anime watch time stfu
hehe thank you xdd
Jan 30, 2023 4:36 AM
Nov 2020
ktg said:

it’s not that deep, but the message it delivers is really strong, grounded and put in a very creative and masterfully beautiful envelope. Depth requires for a subtext to exist within non-verbal space or subliminally implying it, telling you there are more layers than what you might see at first glance, but Sonny Boy doesn’t do it, every single point is delivered clearly, via dialogue (war explaining why yamabiko couldn’t save kodama), actions (nagara looking for the bird nest on episode 12) and so on
Jan 30, 2023 4:37 AM
Nov 2020
gamibo said:
ktg said:

it just needs a bit of attention to fully understand the anime, or not being cognitively impaired
Jan 30, 2023 4:48 AM
May 2016
murisio said:
ktg said:

it’s not that deep, but the message it delivers is really strong, grounded and put in a very creative and masterfully beautiful envelope. Depth requires for a subtext to exist within non-verbal space or subliminally implying it, telling you there are more layers than what you might see at first glance, but Sonny Boy doesn’t do it, every single point is delivered clearly, via dialogue (war explaining why yamabiko couldn’t save kodama), actions (nagara looking for the bird nest on episode 12) and so on

Then can you explain every reference to other books and the meanings behind those references? It is obviously an easy task for you, because according to you, you can almost quote these references.

Good luck, sometimes it was hard even for me.
Jan 30, 2023 4:49 AM
Nov 2020
Sephir7 said:
Yelltah said:

differentiate an opinion from a fact. The anime ended in a beautiful tone, crossing every bullet point opened during the runtime of the anime, accompanied with arguably some of the best scenes in all 2021 (subjective but yet their impactfulness is a fact), all while playing an on point soundtrack (that some people might like and some won’t, but it’s undeniably appropriate given the context) and delivering the final catharsis in a natural manner and proving the character’s evolution throughout the anime. It’s a perfect ending technically speaking and it couldn’t be any other way. You aren’t proving shit you’re mad at some people liking stuff and wanting to give an answer, not as nuanced at it should be given the topic, but a valid answer, meanwhile you’re just malding while other guy pointed out you said something stupid, while acting stupid himself too
murisioJan 30, 2023 4:58 AM
Jan 30, 2023 4:51 AM
Nov 2020
ktg said:
murisio said:

Then can you explain every reference to other books and the meanings behind those references? It is obviously an easy task for you, because according to you, you can almost quote these references.

you’re missing the point completely. Referencing something doesn’t make it deep, it’s just a proxy to give you certain info
Jan 30, 2023 4:54 AM
Nov 2020
ktg said:
murisio said:

also if you have any doubt regarding something specific i will gladly try to explain what it is or how i view the portrayal of the topic, but trust me most of the time it’s really direct and doesn’t need any lateral thinking
Jan 30, 2023 11:45 AM
May 2016
murisio said:
ktg said:

you’re missing the point completely. Referencing something doesn’t make it deep, it’s just a proxy to give you certain info
It actually does.
If we a conversation like this:
- Hi, did you see the train?
- Hi, yes, I did.
Then if you have a reference for the train, then we are talking about a - possible - deep conversation, because the reference itself give a new layer to it.

murisio said:
ktg said:

also if you have any doubt regarding something specific i will gladly try to explain what it is or how i view the portrayal of the topic, but trust me most of the time it’s really direct and doesn’t need any lateral thinking
I'm interested in the titles of the episodes. Every episode's title is a reference to other books or stories in one way or another. I didn't find every reference, so please tell me which one is it, how and why?
Good luck.
Jan 30, 2023 10:28 PM
Apr 2022
if it was in the 80's 😎
Feb 1, 2023 5:18 AM
May 2022
I thought it was a masterpiece tbh. Never really fully understood what was going on in the episodes, but something about those last two just felt so sensational.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.