Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2022 5:00 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thread made in advance to reduce the competition for the first post and reduce spoilers.
The thread will be unlocked at approximately 00:30 (JST) This thread is now unlocked

A reminder of some rules:
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • If you absolutely need to make a reference to the LN, manga, WN or something that might happen in future episodes, use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

• Do not only post something like "good episode". Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.
  • Refrain from multi-posting consecutively. Use the edit button if necessary.
  • Do not resort to abuse or trolling.

You can find the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules here.
anime-primeDec 12, 2022 7:30 AM
Dec 12, 2022 7:30 AM

May 2020
As evident from the flashbacks in the last episode, Unohana and Zaraki did share a long history, from the time Unohana used to be a cold-blooded malevolent killer. It was that fight which later had Zaraki inherit the name of Kenpachi, though for now even with the intentions of letting herself be killed in the process of making Zaraki the ultimate fighter, Unohana still went all guns blazing. That long awaited bankai, “Minazuki”, made its presence in the adaptation after all.

The dark red solidified ooze in the shape of Katana.. Pierrot nailed that scene to perfection, and so the climax of the ultimate battle with Zaraki making out alive, eliminating Unohana. He’s the lone Kenpachi now and look at his Zanpakuto talking.. we know what that means. Yet another major fight of this cour adapted and animated damn right *chef’s kiss*

The transition in the second half felt a tad strange, though that’s to be expected given they left the Ouetsu training regime last time. Moreover Ichigo failed miserably, heck is even forced to go back home. So yep finally time to take a look back at the roots.

Jun 2019
Damn... that was something. The fight between Unohana and Kenpachi was good and also it was nice to see their backstory a little bit. Sad to see that Unohana didn't survive. RIP Queen. Her Bankai was so scary. I loved it.

Other than that, it was just Ichigo and Renji meeting the creator of Zanpakuto. Ichigo failed horribly. Now we wait... Btw, those remixes were fire.
Jun 2016
Not sure how to feel about this one, they definitely did something special for the fight animation, but I felt the choreography and specially the music choice to be lackluster…

Unohana’s bankai looked great, but I felt like it was kinda rushed, I’d love for this fight to last the whole episode…

Maybe rewatching it with subtitles will make me enjoy it better.
Dec 12, 2022 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, seeing all those memories and past fights of Kenpachi even from a narrative perspective gave me chills.

This was a really interesting background storytelling about him and the first Kenpachi, aka Retsu Unohana in the present time. Episode found its own to add some comedic light moments but the Kepniachi storytelling is very important about both of their characters.

Goodbye Yachiru :(
Dec 12, 2022 7:36 AM

Oct 2012
I wonder what do people here think Unohana bankai does ?
They definitely extended it compared to the manga. But I still don't get if it's for healing or melting
Dec 12, 2022 7:46 AM

Sep 2012
I'm feeling really conflicted right now because the fight was actually really, REALLY good, arguarbly the second best fight this season (Yama vs Yhwach is still number 1) but the transition between the fight and Oetsu's part feels too sudden, the directing was actually pretty sloppy this time around.

I think they should've done Oetsu's scene last episode while making "The Battle" the full fight between Kenpachi and Unohana, with the end credits being the ones we had this episode (with Ichigo going back home). I know that would've been two slow/buildup episodes, but it would've worked much better overall in terms of hype. If that was the case, I would've seen EP8 & EP9 as 7-7.5/10 while EP10 would've been a 10/10.

I'm gonna wait for subs to rewatch it, but overall I would give this one an 8.5/10, fourth best episode of the season, behind Born in the Dark, The Fire and Wrath as a Lightning.

Dec 12, 2022 7:50 AM
Mar 2022
animation was good but choreography was lacking
8/10
🥲
Dec 12, 2022 8:00 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Rest in peace Yachiru Unohana. You died on your own terms for the greater good, and we finally got to clearly see your Bankai in action. While she didn't explain her power like is normal for a shounen, it doesn't appear to be too complex of a Bankai to understand.

Now Zaraki is a true Kenpachi and is likely the most powerful soul reaper alive (or whatever you would classify soul reapers, haha) at the moment. His soul spirit finally called out to him, it's about time. That will make him even stronger. I can't wait to see it in action and hear the name.

Their fight wasn't as well animated as the fights in episodes 6 and 7, but it was still decent. The flashback scenes were a lot of fun.

Ichigo failing his training is a surprise, but at least now it seems that he is going to sort out all of his past once and for all to truly understand himself so he can bond a true sword spirit.
anime-primeDec 12, 2022 8:04 AM
Dec 12, 2022 8:10 AM
Nov 2022
Damn great fight and episode
The best part of the last arc for me.is next and apparently the episode 12/13 will be a one hour special
Dec 12, 2022 8:15 AM

Jan 2021
Unohana and Zaraki's backstory was absolutely great to see in the anime. True Kenpachi has finally risen and his power will just go up and up after this fight.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Dec 12, 2022 8:19 AM

Oct 2017
RIP Unohana, she was a fine woman, really liked her. Kenpachi's finally awakened his true power, he already was op but he's gonna become even more op.
Dec 12, 2022 8:39 AM

Jul 2011
The battle was great, but Unohana death was beautiful.

Was good all the lore about the Zanpakutou.

I'm already excited about the next episode.
Dec 12, 2022 8:41 AM

Jan 2009
RIP Unohana and Zaraki finally can talk to and know the name of his Zanpakto

meanwhile Ichigo and Renji are gonna remake their Zanpaktos
Dec 12, 2022 8:45 AM

Nov 2007
Next week airing late at 24:49 JST
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 12, 2022 8:48 AM
Nov 2021
I was suprised to see how there were no cuts or much extends in this episode this was the most manga canon 1:1 adapted episode. And I can hear Speedwagon in Oetsu

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Akil29Dec 12, 2022 10:13 AM
Dec 12, 2022 8:48 AM

Apr 2013
Unohana, the master healer who sat in her room as everyone died, finally dies herself. Thank the heavens, one of the worst characters in Bleach is finally gone. And her dying gave Kenpachi a power up, talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Akil29 said:
I was suprised to see how there were no cuts or extends in this episode this was the most manga canon 1:1 adapted episode.
There's plenty of asspulls and plot convenience in Bleach.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
anime-primeDec 12, 2022 8:55 AM
Dec 12, 2022 8:49 AM

Jan 2019
Kenpachi vs Kenpachi. A battle with a lot of admiration involved.
The direction for this episode was a lot different than I was expecting - this not necessarily means bad, but the staff went with a different approach. I really really think this battle should have consisted of the whole episode 10, it deserved that prestige at least in my eyes, as it's a battle that impact Zaraki as a character for the rest of the series.

What I always loved about this battle specifically is the passion these two characters (Zaraki and Unohana) have for battle, or possibly violence itself, I remember the first time I watched Bleach... and that first battle between Ichigo and Zaraki kinda left a mark on me, I immediately thought "this dude is crazy" - when Ichigo cut Zaraki deep. He was happy, happy that Ichigo was slicing him, it was the first time I've seen a character that was so in love with fighting. I mean, Goku also is, but Zaraki is different, he doesn't look as friendly as Goku, he looked menacing, 100% chaotic energy, and as the series progress viewers don't see him as a villain or bad guy, but instead just some crazy ass masochist dude with a passion for THE BATTLE.
I'd say he's one of Ichigo's greatest allies on Soul Society's side, just for the gratitude he has, as Ichigo gave him lots of fun during their first battle, I also recall for example when Rukia brought him to assist Ichigo against the Fullbringers.

Unohana on the other hand, we never saw her as bloodthirsty as she is shown in these past 2 episodes, she is firstly presented as the quiet Captain to fourth's division and main healer of Gotei 13, but then you look up for her old databook infos and you see Kubo put her offensive power at the maximum. Oh, she was a original Gotei 13 member too. She learned to heal her enemies and herself initially just to have more fun during battles 'cause they would last longer that way. We see her Bankai here, it's just... awesome. Even if a lot of people think this battle between her and Zaraki doesn't make sense. I can't help but think it's awesome.

I always felt like this battle had a subtext to it, kinda subliminal, it almost sounds erotic at times - towards the end when they're clashing swords and talking about battle with such passion like it's the only thing that gives them pleasure. I KNOW Unohana's much older than Zaraki, it's probably not that deep but that's just the impression I had by reading the manga.
"Farewell... The one man in this world... who bought me joy."

There is a post-credits scene featuring Ichigo in front of his house.

neffst3rDec 12, 2022 9:38 AM
Dec 12, 2022 8:51 AM
Nov 2022
KneelBeforeMe said:
Unohana, the master healer who sat in her room as everyone died, finally dies herself. Thank the heavens, one of the worst characters in Bleach is finally gone. And her dying gave Kenpachi a power up, talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Akil29 said:
I was suprised to see how there were no cuts or extends in this episode this was the most manga canon 1:1 adapted episode.Next episode will have the anime-onlies lose their s*hit by shock and how the story of BLEACH started at first place. Next episode will show what BLEACH's story was all about and not just random ass-pulls or whatever haters say.

There's I agree but it's not only that and iirc

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeDec 12, 2022 8:56 AM
Dec 12, 2022 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
unohanas bankais was insane damn
Dec 12, 2022 8:55 AM
May 2021
Shitt Unohanas bankai was fcked sick!! Seeing it finally animated is fckn cool!! 🔥🔥
Dec 12, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2013
I think I just watched a romantically tragic story of Zaraki and Unohana... wow...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 12, 2022 9:00 AM
Oct 2022
idk but is it just me or unohana sounded better using her bankai in bbs?it just stuck with me apart from that it was excellent the backstory 😩
Dec 12, 2022 9:01 AM
Aug 2015
I kind of liked Unohana even before they revealed her nature. Sad she is gone. So she has 2 Bankais, or was the other one a fake? that green pillow creature if I remember correctly.
Her new Bankai is like a Dark Souls weapon, was pretty sick to look at.
And once again Ichigo goes through training and will get some sick abilities later, it's pretty predictable.
Dec 12, 2022 9:01 AM
Nov 2021
i like it but unohana voice actor so goofy
Dec 12, 2022 9:04 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
DoubleR said:
So she has 2 Bankais, or was the other one a fake? that green pillow creature if I remember correctly.
That was Unohana's Shikai.
Dec 12, 2022 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Kelamkabut1 said:
i like it but unohana voice actor so goofy

feel the same...but I somehow helped in the scene look more intense...
Dec 12, 2022 9:16 AM

Nov 2012
Wow! So that’s what it took for Kenny to hear his Zampaktou. High price to pay.

Looking forward to seeing how Ichi deals with the loss of Zangetsu. Looks like dude never planned on fixing Zangetsu. It’s finally time for Ichigo to have a sit down with Isshin. I've been waiting for this for over 10 years.
dragynfaerieDec 12, 2022 7:14 PM
Dec 12, 2022 9:28 AM
Feb 2022
HOW DO THEY KEEP THIS QUALITY, amazing episode and a great job done by Pierrot with the source material easy 10/10 anime of the season
Dec 12, 2022 9:29 AM

Dec 2020
What a amazing fight between kenpachi zaraki and Unohana was Zaraki the winner but this fight was intense.
Ichigo has failed he need to go back to his roots.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Dec 12, 2022 9:35 AM

Apr 2018
Backstory around the fight between Kenpachi and Unohana made it have some more depht. The fight itself was just beyond words.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Dec 12, 2022 9:46 AM

May 2012
My jaw is almost literally on the floor. Had to watch it twice. This is just breathtaking.

Guys the literal first person the Quincies went to murder was Sasakibe. Then Yamamoto. This is likely because those were the ones left killing Yhwach and co. in the past.

Had Unohana gone out to the battlefield, the quincies would have murdered her too because she was pushed as one of the merciless quincy killers 1000 years ago.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeDec 12, 2022 9:52 AM
Dec 12, 2022 9:46 AM

Oct 2017
Dang, how does this series getting better and better each episode.
They made all the original famous scenes from the manga even better in the combat scene/ combat choreography.
This reboot is such a wonderful surprise , didnt expect this to outperform Demon Slayers in every aspects.
Dec 12, 2022 9:47 AM

Aug 2016
Episode of the year
Thx Kubo
Dec 12, 2022 9:48 AM

Oct 2017
KneelBeforeMe said:
Akil29 said:
I was suprised to see how there were no cuts or extends in this episode this was the most manga canon 1:1 adapted episode.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

You clearly dont get why she doesn't go out to fight
Do you ask a War doctor in battle field to go on battle field to combat?
They need to keep her hidden/ safe so she can heal the wounded later.
The 1st captain ORDERED her to never charge out to combat.
Dec 12, 2022 9:53 AM

Jan 2021
Mommy i mean mommy i mean mommy 💀 Unohana’s banki was really cool Kampatchi can finally communicate with his zampacto but at what cost Rip Unohana
Dec 12, 2022 9:54 AM
Jul 2022
Another banger episode with Kenpachi vs Unohana fight with the introduction of Oetsu and a big cliffhanger for next episode.
Dec 12, 2022 10:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
tragic outcome by double entry!!! kekeke
Dec 12, 2022 10:06 AM
Jan 2021
animation of TYBW has been amazing so far. cant believe kenpachi's zanpukto spoke to him after all this time. rip unohana
Dec 12, 2022 10:13 AM
Oct 2022
Sorry boruto but all the budget went to bleach what a banger
Dec 12, 2022 10:26 AM

Jan 2019
omg that fight of two kenpachis is wooooooooooooooooww!!!
Dec 12, 2022 10:32 AM

Jul 2022
this episode was very FREAKING EPIC MAN the fight between kenpachi and unohana was so GREAT and i now wonder what will ichigo do?????/
Dec 12, 2022 10:35 AM

Aug 2019
BAN KAI Minazuki... playtime is over...
Dec 12, 2022 10:36 AM
May 2021
It kinda felt like the fight was really fast paced and choreography a bit lacking. Other wise animation was good. They should have extended the fight a bit more longer
Dec 12, 2022 10:50 AM
Sep 2021
kenny vs unohana was peak and oetsu is such a cool guy lol the number one zanpakuto creator and i had goosebumps watching the end of the episode
Dec 12, 2022 10:55 AM
Dec 2017
Furyo_enjoyer said:
They definitely extended it compared to the manga. But I still don't get if it's for healing or melting
its for melting the healing its her skill, the bankai like a acid burns
Dec 12, 2022 11:11 AM
May 2015
neffst3r said:
Kenpachi vs Kenpachi. A battle with a lot of admiration involved.
The direction for this episode was a lot different than I was expecting - this not necessarily means bad, but the staff went with a different approach. I really really think this battle should have consisted of the whole episode 10, it deserved that prestige at least in my eyes, as it's a battle that impact Zaraki as a character for the rest of the series.

What I always loved about this battle specifically is the passion these two characters (Zaraki and Unohana) have for battle, or possibly violence itself, I remember the first time I watched Bleach... and that first battle between Ichigo and Zaraki kinda left a mark on me, I immediately thought "this dude is crazy" - when Ichigo cut Zaraki deep. He was happy, happy that Ichigo was slicing him, it was the first time I've seen a character that was so in love with fighting. I mean, Goku also is, but Zaraki is different, he doesn't look as friendly as Goku, he looked menacing, 100% chaotic energy, and as the series progress viewers don't see him as a villain or bad guy, but instead just some crazy ass masochist dude with a passion for THE BATTLE.
I'd say he's one of Ichigo's greatest allies on Soul Society's side, just for the gratitude he has, as Ichigo gave him lots of fun during their first battle, I also recall for example when Rukia brought him to assist Ichigo against the Fullbringers.

Unohana on the other hand, we never saw her as bloodthirsty as she is shown in these past 2 episodes, she is firstly presented as the quiet Captain to fourth's division and main healer of Gotei 13, but then you look up for her old databook infos and you see Kubo put her offensive power at the maximum. Oh, she was a original Gotei 13 member too. She learned to heal her enemies and herself initially just to have more fun during battles 'cause they would last longer that way. We see her Bankai here, it's just... awesome. Even if a lot of people think this battle between her and Zaraki doesn't make sense. I can't help but think it's awesome.

I always felt like this battle had a subtext to it, kinda subliminal, it almost sounds erotic at times - towards the end when they're clashing swords and talking about battle with such passion like it's the only thing that gives them pleasure. I KNOW Unohana's much older than Zaraki, it's probably not that deep but that's just the impression I had by reading the manga.
"Farewell... The one man in this world... who bought me joy."

There is a post-credits scene featuring Ichigo in front of his house.

It’s not really that it doesn’t make sense, it’s that the fight lacks proper story development and basic set up and payoff. Unohana does nothing all series and then this happens, and we’re suddenly lead to believe her entire narrative purpose was to sacrifice herself to make Zaraki stronger. Meanwhile Zaraki has one flashback concerning the whole Yachiru thing and that’s the main instance of “foreshadowing” for this. When I was reading this years ago I couldn’t even begin to care about this fight and I still feel the same now. At least it looks nice.

Also best shonen flashback? Have you read Shaman King? Rurouni Kenshin? Claymore?
Dec 12, 2022 11:12 AM
Sep 2021
Furyo_enjoyer said:

1: she can instantly heal herself

2: the blood she controls is all the blood of her slain enemy’s. Think of byakuyas thousand blades and now think of it like that where every drop of blood is a shard of metal that she can control for both offence and defence

3: she can open up any and all previous wounds previously healed regardless of if she healed them, someone else or if it was naturally healed. Basically making her Bankai an instant kill if she chooses re-opening an opponents prior deadly injury

4: just like her Shikai heals, her bankai is the furthest opposite. Her bankai has the ability to inflict immense torture whilst having the ability to heal herself and or opponents instantly. Hence why kenny keeps blacking out and coming back stronger, fully healed.

I got this info from the bleach wiki fandom. There’s more levels to her bankai from what I remember but these are the most noticeable. Feel free to look up the page, it’s an interesting read. The 2 sides of the coin of her shikai and bankai are frightening. One to heal, one to kill
Dec 12, 2022 11:13 AM

Aug 2019
Episode was mediocre. They didn't even expand the fight much nor explain what Unohana's bankai could do. The entire thing was rushed and sure it was like that in the manga as well but at least the anime should've given more context, especially since before the series premiered we were told that some parts of the story would receive additional scenes ffs...

Also this was the worst instance of a post-credits scene ever. Why do they keep doing that, do they not realize that many viewers stop watching the episodes once the ending credits roll?
Dec 12, 2022 11:17 AM

Sep 2011
Unohana has a sick looking bankai but it feels like that fight needed a bit more to it, like it just needed a bit more seeing them duke it out and trading blows.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

anime-prime - Dec 19, 2022

219 by LightNoragami1 »»
Yesterday, 7:28 AM

» ichigo and yhwach final fight

RaPZoD - May 31

14 by Rinrinka »»
Yesterday, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 5, 2022

271 by LightNoragami1 »»
May 31, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 28, 2022

324 by LightNoragami1 »»
May 31, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 21, 2022

639 by LightNoragami1 »»
May 31, 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.