Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 17, 2022 9:37 AM
Mar 2017
I don't really like anime. they all seem to be high school themed and the main character never makes any solid moves towards the main girl character OR they "end up friends" (which I all dislike). So I accidentally discovered this and in my language it has a professional VO with great cast and I liked the actors a lot. Now my question is: Is it worth watching? Cause I didn't now anything about this anime and basically picked it based on VO actors. I watched a few episodes and it's alright but I've read online that it doesn't develop much.
Nov 17, 2022 9:44 AM
Apr 2022
I personally loved it. I was extremely entertained. I recommend it
Nov 17, 2022 9:45 AM

Sep 2014
Yes it's really good.
Nov 17, 2022 10:16 AM
Nov 2020
It's a fantastic anime watered down to just good after the endless 8 arc
Nov 17, 2022 10:26 AM

Feb 2016
manalishi said:
I don't really like anime. they all seem to be high school themed and the main character never makes any solid moves towards the main girl character OR they "end up friends" (which I all dislike). So I accidentally discovered this and in my language it has a professional VO with great cast and I liked the actors a lot. Now my question is: Is it worth watching? Cause I didn't now anything about this anime and basically picked it based on VO actors. I watched a few episodes and it's alright but I've read online that it doesn't develop much.

It's great. It's nothing like you're probably picturing it. I Probably wouldn't even actually describe it as a romance anime. I recommend it, but I will say this: Its an anime. If you don't like anime, then you probably won't like it. I'm not accusing you of this, but keep in mind, you don't have to try to force yourself to like something that you don't just because it's trendy. Like what you like and move on from what you don't. That's my real recommendation.
Nov 17, 2022 10:31 AM

Jan 2022
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is really good, you should watch it. This series has two watch order: Broadcast order and Chronological watch order. I recommend the chronological watch order. Click on the link below to know the watch order of each episodes. The Complete Guide on How to Watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
JubayertNov 17, 2022 10:40 AM
Nov 17, 2022 11:36 AM

Mar 2013
Yes, it is very entertaining.

btw, Broadcast order for me, it was enjoyable and mysterious that way.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 17, 2022 12:35 PM

Apr 2020
Absolutely. Especially The Dissapearence movie. 10/10
Nov 17, 2022 1:04 PM
May 2011
Guy makes a post, saying how he doesn't like anime, particularly ones set in high school, and everyone recommends he watch an anime set in high school. The main couple's relationship doesn't go anywhere, even when it does. You've already made the mistake of starting the series, so you've met the characters. If you like them and want to see them do stuff, keep watching
Nov 17, 2022 1:05 PM

Sep 2020
The tv show is pretty fun, but the movie is a masterpiece. The books are really good too
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Nov 17, 2022 1:16 PM
Sep 2014
It requires a bit of context from the many anime tropes that come before it, as it works as a pastiche of a lot of older anime that follow a similar formula, but even without prior knowledge its still an enjoyable series if you like quirky high school stories or cozy mysteries or just some compelling character work. the show isn't afraid to be bold and different which is something severely lacking these days (Isekai)

I'd say if you don't find yourself drawn to the characters then it might not be the show for you because their antics and musings and snarky narrations are kind of what make the show shine. and the cast does get surprisingly fleshed out, even if it is a lot more subtle than other shows of this type. at the very least, binge it for the Movie which is a literal masterpiece and serves as a nice cap off in case they never make a third season.
Nov 17, 2022 1:29 PM

Mar 2020
It’s the only good thing Kyoani has ever done, which is even more remarkable when you consider that the best episode to come from the entire series (Someday in the Rain) wasn’t anywhere in the source material.

To better answer your question, Haruhi has a specific appeal to pedantic weirdos like me that value stories which are carried by interesting concepts and rules to the universe that only increase and coincide with one another as the show goes on. The series is fundamentally about a bunch of eccentric teens going about their school days and attempting to find their place in the world, though, so don’t expect some massive overarching threat that these concepts build up to.

If underdeveloped romantic undercurrents are something that you’re strongly against, you might be turned away. The second season in particular begins to focus on the implication that all of the happenings during the show are because Haruhi loves the protagonist, which it promptly walks back at the end of each arc without any development or growth from it’s cast. However, Haruhi isn’t a romance. The show is more in line with the urban fantasy and coming of age genres, so it shouldn’t bother you too much.

As everyone else has said, give it a go. The only judgement you can really trust is your own.
Nov 17, 2022 1:33 PM

Nov 2020
Are the people that create these types of threads just falseflagging to generate discussion on otherwise dead shows? What do you mean you "don't really like anime" because "they all seem to be high school themed" when every single anime on your list has a cast of high schoolers? What the fuck?
Nov 17, 2022 1:54 PM

May 2021
Nope, it wasn't good when I watched it, as I watched it from 1-14 in that order, meaning episodes 13 & 14 were a double repeat of episode 12, which really sucked.
Nov 17, 2022 1:57 PM
Apr 2020
ZechTearz said:
Are the people that create these types of threads just falseflagging to generate discussion on otherwise dead shows? What do you mean you "don't really like anime" because "they all seem to be high school themed" when every single anime on your list has a cast of high schoolers? What the fuck?

Yes. This site is a cesspool.
Nov 17, 2022 3:01 PM
Sep 2020
It can be whimsical at times, where some events don't really make sense. However, the way they execute the plot is interesting, and it offers that nostalgic vibe.
Nov 17, 2022 3:04 PM

Mar 2012
I highly recommend the original broadcast order if you do.
Nov 17, 2022 5:49 PM
Sep 2020
Yes it’s good but there’s an 8 episode stretch where it’s just tedious to watch. The movie is amazing and the books are better since the books go further into the lore of the world and characters.
Nov 17, 2022 6:45 PM

Sep 2018
It’s entertaining for sure, but i found haruhi getting a little too much later on bc she was basically starting to become a bully to mikuru, but other than that it’s a good time killer
Nov 18, 2022 1:06 AM
Jun 2022
XeroBeat said:
It’s the only good thing Kyoani has ever done, which is even more remarkable when you consider that the best episode to come from the entire series (Someday in the Rain) wasn’t anywhere in the source material.

To better answer your question, Haruhi has a specific appeal to pedantic weirdos like me that value stories which are carried by interesting concepts and rules to the universe that only increase and coincide with one another as the show goes on. The series is fundamentally about a bunch of eccentric teens going about their school days and attempting to find their place in the world, though, so don’t expect some massive overarching threat that these concepts build up to.

If underdeveloped romantic undercurrents are something that you’re strongly against, you might be turned away. The second season in particular begins to focus on the implication that all of the happenings during the show are because Haruhi loves the protagonist, which it promptly walks back at the end of each arc without any development or growth from it’s cast. However, Haruhi isn’t a romance. The show is more in line with the urban fantasy and coming of age genres, so it shouldn’t bother you too much.

As everyone else has said, give it a go. The only judgement you can really trust is your own.

shit explained here very well. that rain episode and one episode where mc and mikuro went into past to make some changes where mikuro sleeps and mc meets child haruhi, i watched these 2 episodes when I was in climax of suzumiya movie. 😅
I didn't find them at first.
Nov 18, 2022 1:22 AM
Mar 2021
I've seen some of it, and it's fine. It's basically impossible to appreciate it fully now, out of the context of its time, when it was a massive cultural phenomenon. Now nobody talks about it except occasionally to rag on Endless Eight or reminisce about the cringiest people you've ever known doing That Dance.

The thing that turns me off about the show most is that Haruhi is an absolute sociopath with virtually no capacity for empathy. It always looks nice, though, really well directed with good music.
Nov 18, 2022 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
One of my all time favorites, however steer clear of endless VIII, unless you are insane
Nov 18, 2022 3:00 AM
Nov 2020
It’s a supernatural slice of life type story. And if you mean character development most of it happens in the movie
Nov 18, 2022 5:38 AM
Jun 2022
i really recommend it tbh
Nov 18, 2022 9:27 AM
Jul 2021
manalishi said:

You would like monogatari bru
Nov 18, 2022 9:42 AM

Apr 2021
Violet42 said:
I've seen some of it, and it's fine. It's basically impossible to appreciate it fully now, out of the context of its time, when it was a massive cultural phenomenon. Now nobody talks about it except occasionally to rag on Endless Eight or reminisce about the cringiest people you've ever known doing That Dance.

The thing that turns me off about the show most is that Haruhi is an absolute sociopath with virtually no capacity for empathy. It always looks nice, though, really well directed with good music.

Iirc that's something done b6 design and is supposed to keep you watching because it's addressed ( unless you DON'T watch to see characters interact and grow through their interactions, which is fair I suppose).
We'Ve StEpPeD iNtO a WaR wItH tHe CaBaL oN mArS
Nov 18, 2022 11:07 AM
Apr 2022
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
Nov 20, 2022 11:23 AM
Oct 2014
This isn’t a typical SoL anime, it parodies a lot of popular anime tropes from what I remember. If you’re going into it expecting a cliche romcom you will be disappointed.
Dec 2, 2022 6:05 PM

Oct 2019
manalishi said:

the tv series itself is just that "alright" or "good" nothing more, nothing less.

there is one arc where you have to watch the same episode 8 times, but you can only watch it's first and last episode if you couldn't push through.

BUT, but but but BUT!!!

after you finish season 1 and 2, there is a movie.

and that movie is a fucking masterpiece.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 9, 2022 1:02 AM
Sep 2022
Está bien. Tampoco es la gran cosa considerando que estuvo demasiado sobrevalorado por los años de 2006 - 2010.
No cuenta una mala historia, te entretiene, es ese típico anime que te ves un día o dos.
En lo personal me encantó pero no llega a ser tan excelente como algunos la pintan, el anime puede llegarte a ser aburrido por ser bastante lento...
MÁS HABLANDO DEL AGOSTO INFINITO...

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.