Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (54) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2022 8:17 AM

Apr 2020
anime-only here,
got invited to watch the early premiere of chainsaw man ep 1
honestly good stuff, the animation and voice acting is top notch
but the most important thing of all
pochita makes pochita noises 🥹🥹🥹

--
FMmatron said:
Lucky you, meanwhile us commoners have to wait.

I didn't even know I was going to watch chainsaw man today 💩
Apparently 6 of their VIPs decided not to attend the screening last minute this morning
So someway somehow I got invited to watch it lmao

p.s. the first speaker called csm a "cartoon" 🤡
i died a little inside 🤡
she was hyping up about how popular csm was as well 🤡
it was clear she doesn't have a clue about what she was talking about 🤡

they were also trying to get us to take a group photo
and wanted all of us to stand up, unwrap the csm poster that they gifted out and display it for the photo
bro i just want to watch csm
i remained seated 💩

also you lowkey couldn't read the subs
because the seats were laid out on a flat plain
and the screen was not elevated
luckily some guy dipped on the third row
right before they played the ep
so we went up and sat there instead
and could barely read the subs
--
EDIT 2 - just incase if anyone wonders why i was able to make this thread before the screening at NYCC
I was invited to watch it at the private screening in Hong Kong hosted by Ani-One at 1730 local time (UTC+8) on 07/10 which was supposed to be synced with the Taiwan screening as well, both of which were earlier than the NYCC screening
YoshePlaysOct 7, 2022 12:18 PM
Cosplayer, Photographer, & Journalist.
=========
Discord► Yoshe#7068
Instagram► yoshe_plays
Other Social Media Links► YoshePlays

Oct 7, 2022 11:22 AM

Jan 2009
Special message from Ryu Nakayama at New York Comic Con's #ChainsawMan panel https://twitter.com/KayeeChee/status/1578434494037602304

video of how long the line was on the screening https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1578429956702339073
Oct 7, 2022 11:34 AM
Feb 2021
Csm episode one at nycc was absolutely amazing,there was cgi here and there but it was very good cgi, my dad even liked it and he doesn’t even know what chainsaw man was
Oct 11, 2022 6:11 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This episode thread has been cleaned. It has also been locked and will be unlocked once the episode finishes airing at around 00:30 JST.
This episode thread has been unlocked.

Don't post spoilers unless they are hidden in spoiler tags.

Please wait until after watching the episode before posting in episode threads.
anime-primeOct 11, 2022 8:35 AM
Oct 11, 2022 8:30 AM

Jun 2019
Well... I had high hopes but my god, they were surpassed by the staff over at MAPPA. What a great premier to one of the highest anticipated manga of all time, maybe for a series having its first season, I have not seen this level of hype, maybe OPM back in the day but still. I was very impressed by the love and passion they pour into this one. The CGI was very well done as well.

It was so hard to watch Denji being stabbed and then Pochita speaking... Pochita is so freaking adorable. I loved their dynamic in the show. The animation and action were really well done and the OST by Kensuke Ushio was so fucking fire and beautiful. I really enjoyed the episode and definitely looking forward to the next episode. The OP is amazing and the ED as well.
Oct 11, 2022 8:31 AM

May 2020
let's goooo it finally out
man I had forgotten how depressing the start of the manga was
the art and animation looks amazing and so does the cgi
can't wait for ep 2
Homura24Oct 11, 2022 10:22 AM

Jul 2021
This episode packs a whole lot of punch! OP is pretty good but I like the ED better (and knowing there are 12 EDs -including this one- I wouldn’t even need to compare with the OP but just this once!) because of Vaundy’s song really wraps up this whole episode in an amazing way lol. Really nice way of introducing the character, that is Denji, with his Pochita about to go first huntering some Devil hunter to make some money and lol him thinking that eating one’s cig could give a 100 yen. Straightforward of some suicide shit during Denji’s childhood and also meeting Pochita to where he gets some money, kinda sets an idea to his background.The moment where that guy asks Denji while he is in his dreams to hunt some more devil was such a turn of event and Pochita letting Denji's body regenerating was so idk how to describe it but it hurts ofc :(.

Also his goal is simple but chances are not zero ofc, going out with a girl in any practical activities is like an achievement depending on how long you can go out with them basically lol but again what’s Denji’s level of trust with others as this is just the beginning, will further be expanded. Makima’s scene during Denji’s unconsciousness was so chilling
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 2018
THE CHAINSAW MAN HYPE IS UNREAL! THE CHAINSAW MAN HYPE IS UNREAL!

It's beautiful how they handled the premise. I like it that they've shown us quite a lot scenery and the visuals are outstanding, the same goes for the sound design.
Denji, the maincharacter everyone probably heard about once in their lifetime is finally on our screen. He's a poor lad who sold parts of his body and even his fucking nut to pay the rent. This is one aspect from CSM that makes you care about him. Even though he has been fighting Devils with Pochita the whole time, trying to make money and pay his rents. He gets almost nothing out of it and it's perfectly shown when he'd eat someone cigar for about 100 yen. But, it's about time that his life gets turned upside-down. Meeting the Zombie Devil was his worst and best luck. Turning him into a real Chainsaw Man. Holy shit, the animation and CGI are just beautiful. Can't believe how many people were trashtalking about it. HELL YEAH, MAKIMA'S ON THE MF SCREEN! Even though I'm not really fond of her voice actor (it's not bad, but it doesn't fit her IMO) also she doesn't need a deep mommy voice but something inbetween. The rest of the voice actors are really good, a lot of great picks. Espically Power, Ai Fairouz is just so talented. And Denjis VA, Kikunosuke Toya did an incredible job. The opening by Kenshi Yonezu (I fucking love him, can't count how many song I've listened from him) got leaked before the episode was out and it's outstanding. From visuals to vocals, it's a masterpiece on its own. All the endings will be INSANE.

Watched the episode on the Japanese broadcast without subs but from reading the manga a day before, it was pretty understandable. I'm probably going to reread the manga after the anime ends and buy the remaining volumes (got 4,7,8,10 and 11) at the moment. Fall 2022 is on pair or even better than the previous winter season. Bleach, Mob, Golden Kamuya and CSM in the same week? That's fucking INSANE.

Mod Edit: Added image tags; please only once screenshot per post.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 2018
The op was fire and power & denji's dance, and animation was soo good!! And ending song is even better, it's just amazing!

So, the anime start in different way from manga, but not that much. We go soo many anime only scenes, and they truly add more context to the episode itself!
Denji & Pochita's voice actor did a great job no problem. The direction was amazing as well! Now let's talk about Action and it was awesome, Mappa truly user the best CGI & 2d and blend them together to make perfect animated action sequence!
They didn't hide the blood, it's great that there is no censorship!

Not much to say, other than that this was f**king great episode!

Makima is here and now waiting for goddess Power!!!

Can someone confirm it that, Future devil was dancing in the opening song, lol
removed-userOct 11, 2022 9:03 AM

May 2020
Hype is a thing, and if you by some chance interested in looking over the synonyms of it, let me tell you the word "Chainsaw Man" is the recently added entry there.

Though in all seriousness, folks hyped the absolute limit of this premiere, though not only them but the studio Mappa itself. But.. but someone has to be lying or putting up an act if they didn't get their expectations answered after this episode. Forget those big budget movie like visulas, the thing that struck me the most was the performance of Denji’s VA. Landing your first role as a protag of such a mega popular franchise and then nailing it all the way through.. for sure a big career awaiting this man.

The highlight of the first chapter.. Chainsaw man fucking the living hell out of other devils. Gave me goosebumps.. everything was worth the wait. Mappa without a doubt GOAT after this. Now to see who’ll complain about CGI lol.

THE BEST PREMIERE OF THE YEAR. NO EXAGGERATION.

Liked this for some reason
Softhenic03Oct 11, 2022 8:36 AM

Jul 2017
THE BIGGEST ANIME OF THE YEAR, and it's not even an exaggeration that Tatsuki Fujimoto's Chainsaw Man is ready to take a beating as the modern day FMA: Brotherhood.

The OP itself is a flood of references from Tatsuki Fujimoto's favourite things, and pair that with Kenshi Yonezu's OP, it's insane.

Denji and Pochita already making waves from devil hunting to pay his massive debt that his dead father owed, and this is his life now of odd jobs and his pet dog of a devil chainsaw who formed a contract with him in blood, killing devils for a living while he can dream.

But, Denji getting the short end of the stick with the Yakuza literally stabbing him in the back being Devils themselves, and his predicament is non-survivable as heck. Relooking back at his life, Denji could've been living a different life altogether, but with Pochita giving his life to him, Denji's able to become the devil hunter he truly is: by becoming the Chainsaw Man to wreck the life outta the zombie devils.

The entrance of the Public Safety devil hunters with Makima at the helm, seeing Denji still alive and promising him his dream of a life, it's his new start.

Episode 1's ED: Vaundy's "Chainsaw Blood", it's perfect for a start.

Chapter 1, adapted to 1000% insanity. GOAT MAPPA, and easily 2022's AOTY.
KANLen09Oct 15, 2022 12:16 AM
Jul 2022
The colors captures the manga feeling, can't say more
Oct 11, 2022 8:32 AM

Jul 2019
I've grown from my aot past. Hyping bad shit is not ideal. There will never be a perfect adaptation for this shit. Bout to finish big 3 now lol.

Decent enough tho I guess. Liked it

Jun 2015
Very good OST, clean animation , alot of CG which is unavoidable i guess but I almost felt asleep. I didnt remember CSM being this boring. Things might change once Power and Aki appear.

Oct 2021
OP really does capture the gruthsome nature of world.

Oct 2017
Expectation was really high and it went above. Production is top tier, love it. Great start to one of the most hyped anime of all time.

OP:

ED:
Oct 11, 2022 8:33 AM

Nov 2011
This was fucking amazing.

From the OP song, uncensored content, action, and of course, Chainsawman himself. It was just a great way to celebrate the manga
with this anime adaptation. I am very impressed by what I've seen for this first episode and maintaining such a momentum from start
to finish.

Bring on more!
Oct 2019
Good start of the series, the CG is noticable but it's good CG and doesn't affect the impact of the story at all ! And the combination between CG and 2D animation is god tier! Well done MAPPA
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Chainsaw Man is finally here!!

Great episode.
Oct 11, 2022 8:34 AM

Oct 2010
good begininng, makima-sama is hot
Oct 11, 2022 8:35 AM
Oct 2022
10/10
Perfectly captured the manga's vibe and mood
Jun 2016
Watched half of the episode in raw and I can say that animation was top notch except that CGI for now but I will get used to it eventually as it was not that bad like the leak quality.

Jan 2009
the 3DCG is very good its not low FPS like many 3DCG in other anime and 3DCG is always use to speed up production process anyway since MAPPA is a busy studio like they also have Attack on Titan Finale, Vinland Saga Season 2 and Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 coming up

the only problem i feel is that the pacing is slow like Ufotable Demon Slayer pacing slow since both manga of Chainsaw Man and Demon Slayer are fast pace experiences

MakiMAMA is sexy hot

the OP and ED are great especially the OP song and its visuals and animation

the animation is movie quality its slightly better than the first episode of Bleach Finale hopefully they can maintain this high level animation until the end

and lol Denji being the dog of MakiMAMA in this screenshot lets go WOOF WOOF WOOF!

degOct 11, 2022 11:00 AM
Oct 11, 2022 8:37 AM

Apr 2021
One of the most anticipated anime this fall, Chainsaw man!!! And it's finally here!! As a manga reader, I'm so happy to finally see the anime!!! It's great to see both Denji and Pochita!!! He was betrayed by the person who hired him, Pochita saved him and now Denji's become a chainsaw devil!!! This episode did a pretty good job in introducing the general setup of this story.
The animation was great!!! And the Op was pretty good too!!! And of course how can I not mention Makima!!! She looked pretty good too!!!
Man with this and the many other anime airing this fall. There's so much to look forward to!!!! I can't wait to see how the rest of this season goes!!!!

Jul 2020
Very good episode, 10/10
Opening visuals are fantastic

Dec 2015
Watched it raw.

There are cgi here and there but it's not that bad.

I'm waiting for the final 1080p clean version to make a fair review.
Oct 11, 2022 8:38 AM

Jul 2010
Animation is crazy on this!! Let’s go!!! Chainsaw man!!
Aug 2021
THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN OMG
Jan 2020
MAPPA Stay delivering
Nov 2012
I guess CGI MAN is real. Way to much CGI for Denji's movements especially.
May 2021
Amazing animation! Amazing music! Amazing details! Amazing opening! Amazing episode!

Jan 2021
Finally one of the most hyped up anime of this year airs.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Oct 11, 2022 8:39 AM

Jul 2017
it's good start, i like the color palate on this anime almost feels like black and white.
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Oct 11, 2022 8:41 AM

Feb 2021
Extremely sterile first episode, hardly any creative liberties taken. There were too many panning shots and 1:1 adaptations of random manga panels. If Mappa sticks to their insistence on using jarring CG as a cost cutting strategy things will not be looking good for the rest of the series. All in all people are gonna be really let down by this.
Oct 11, 2022 8:42 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was a start and a half right here! All the insane hype made it difficult to look past this series and I suppose it's for good reason, just based on this premiere episode.

Denji's VA is killing it here! All the raw emotions captured really well, imo. Poor lad just wants to have a bit of a better life but seeing him lament over it in the garbage bin was sad to see. Already missing the cute Pochita scenes, I really hope we'll be able to see him regain his form someday, I feel like the episode hinted that he'll just remain as a part of Denji now. And the continuation of the pact here, I really liked how the timing of the flashback was covered to make this stand out.

The gore element seems to be integral to the series and it's nice to see MAPPA not holding back at all. A lot of noticeable GCI scenes though. Since I was watching it live on mov3.co, it didn't look all that eye-pleasing but I'll wait for the subbed version on CR to come out before making up my stance on that. Good thing the old man there was butchered, lol.

Yes, I'm already a fan of Makima-san, lol.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 11, 2022 8:43 AM

Sep 2019
I can't be the only one who didn't like Makima's voice right? She sounded like some 15-16 year old wtf. Otherwise great start.
Oct 11, 2022 8:44 AM

Sep 2016
ArimaKana said:
I can't be the only one who didn't like Makima's voice right? She sound like some 15-16 year old wtf.

Her seiyuu is the current top young idol in anime industry and the biggest sponsor of this anime is Sony music.
take a guess :)
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 11, 2022 8:45 AM

Sep 2019
GangsterCat said:
ArimaKana said:
I can't be the only one who didn't like Makima's voice right? She sound like some 15-16 year old wtf.

Her seiyuu is the current top young idol and the biggest sponsor of this anime is Sony music.
So that's what happened, damn.
Oct 11, 2022 8:46 AM
Nov 2020
Episode 1 of Chainsaw Man. The hype surrounding the anime definitely shot my expectations through the roof. The visuals, aesthetic and overall feel of the episode is nothing but dark, grim and eerie, which perfectly encapsulates the feel in the manga. The 2D animation sequences are beautiful, so much detail and the line work is nothing short of phenomenal. The 3D elements were very well crafted, however I admit that despite how good the cgi elements were, particularly Denji's fight against the zombie devil, it was a bit of a let down. The issue for me was not necessarily the cgi itself, but rather the overuse and reliance the episode seemed to have on it.
Aug 2021
ArimaKana said:
I can't be the only one who didn't like Makima's voice right? She sounded like some 15-16 year old wtf. Otherwise great start.

She's not an old lady either and she isn't too deep and intimidating. Her voice is supposed to be innocent and seductive which catch us off guard.

Nov 2019
Damn, Makima is so hot
Oct 11, 2022 8:47 AM

Sep 2016
ArimaKana said:
GangsterCat said:

Her seiyuu is the current top young idol and the biggest sponsor of this anime is Sony music.
So that's what happened, damn.
Yup. could've easily casted Sawashiro for the obvious perfect choice, but nope. gotta promote Tomori's career :)
Tomori's good but her voice is obviously unfitting for Makima.
Her and Chainsawman's massive popularity were sacrificed for Sony's profit, sadly. nothing but promotion tools.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 11, 2022 8:48 AM
Aug 2022
jahver said:
Extremely sterile first episode, hardly any creative liberties taken. There were too many panning shots and 1:1 adaptations of random manga panels. If Mappa sticks to their insistence on using jarring CG as a cost cutting strategy things will not be looking good for the rest of the series. All in all people are gonna be really let down by this.
wait what? I thought cgi was costly. That's why aot budget is so high
Oct 11, 2022 8:49 AM

Jul 2017
GangsterCat said:
ArimaKana said:

Her seiyuu is the current top young idol in anime industry and the biggest sponsor of this anime is Sony music.
so sony will play a big role on VA and theme songs ?.

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Oct 11, 2022 8:51 AM

Feb 2021
Badguy_oncel said:
jahver said:
wait what? I thought cgi was costly. That's why aot budget is so high

It's less expensive than normal 2D animation, apparently.
Oct 11, 2022 8:51 AM

Oct 2018
Rewatching the episode, and turns out this is way better than I remember it was. The muted color aesthetic is brought into animation excellently by Yusuke Takeda and Kensuke Ushio's work complements this perfectly. The CG during the transformation is very awkward but during the rest of the fight scene is significantly better although the fight itself is kind of brought down by the slow paced movement and upped by the sound directing. There's also various occasions where the polished cinematic style clashes with the floaty webgen style and I hope this isn't something that continues to show when other episode directors from the webgen generation starts showing up. The episode is filled with subtle character acting which defintiely puts this above your standard action anime with sakuga during only the most important scenes. The voice acting is kind of weird and by far, the single best thing about this adaptation is the Shin Yama masterpiece opening.
Etherius_ZSDec 11, 2022 7:29 AM
Oct 11, 2022 8:52 AM

Jul 2012
Damn what a crazy first episode.
Oct 11, 2022 8:52 AM

Sep 2016
Logical_ said:
GangsterCat said:

Why do you think made 12 different ED songs for each episode? to promote their 12 singers/bands.
CrossAnge

Oct 11, 2022 8:54 AM
Mar 2018
The Hype is real fellas!!

What an absolute banger of an episode!!!!
Oct 11, 2022 8:54 AM

Jul 2017
GangsterCat said:
Logical_ said:
Why do you think made 12 different ED songs for each episode? to promote their 12 singers/bands.
Okay seems legit promotion from sony.

Pages (54) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

783 by xriceball26 »»
May 7, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

983 by EinTheVariance »»
May 6, 5:54 PM

» Why wasn't it 24 episodes? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - Apr 9

55 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 5, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

388 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 13, 2022

312 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.