Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2022 6:14 AM

Dec 2021
Ever since I watched this show, I've always been really annoyed at the side characters and especially Ami. The weakest part of this series are easily the side characters and their conduct.

Their actions, whatever meaning it has or for the sake of drama and tension, feel forced. Especially with Ami's. I don't understand just what the hell is her character supposed to represent and why she is acting the way she is during the last bits of the series and the reasons to even sympathize with her. (Rant.)

It doesn't mean that every action of theirs was unnecessary, and it still serves the story, though it damages my experience. (being subjective to make it apparent I am not speaking for the majority.)

Spoilers for the last bits of the series:

Kitamura and Minori suffer from not being fleshed out well, with Ami having next to none, making her the specific target of this thread.

The only thing I loved about this show was the two main casts, and their relationship progression. It is easily the strongest part of the series, but if you remove the side characters whether I like it or not, and since Kitamura and Minori were the instigators for their relationship, it wouldn't be Toradora otherwise.

If I talk anymore about Ami, this would be an entire 1000 word essay about how her character is the worst offender of this. Having free time is dangerous all right.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2022 6:30 AM
Dec 2020
I agree with you and your statement about supporting cast not being that fleshed but they acted more like catalysts. Aside from Ami saw some development but it wasnt that much.
Aug 22, 2022 6:32 AM
Jul 2022
Id say toradoras worst flaw is either Ami who I also dislike or the ending of the anime. This was my first romance anime and my 3rd or 4th anime and looking back the ending was so rushed.

Incoming Spoilers

I will never understand why they ended toradora the way they did. I would have given the show an 8 or 8.5 but the ending was so rushed and felt weird. Taiga’s mother was randomly introduced at the end and then Taiga just left and doesn’t come back until the pcs and that pcs wasn’t as fulfilling as I wanted it to be. Not to mention that none of the side characters got any sort of ending
Aug 22, 2022 6:55 AM
Apr 2021
This show is kinda old and its not rlly complex or fked up like modern romances (cuck,incest,homo).So its more simplistic compared to others.Still a solid gem.U have point tho.Shows like Horimiya are the ones suits ur statement.Both main and side cast got strong development.
Aug 22, 2022 7:02 AM

Dec 2021
lemonhys56 said:
Id say toradoras worst flaw is either Ami who I also dislike or the ending of the anime. This was my first romance anime and my 3rd or 4th anime and looking back the ending was so rushed.

Incoming Spoilers

I will never understand why they ended toradora the way they did. I would have given the show an 8 or 8.5 but the ending was so rushed and felt weird. Taiga’s mother was randomly introduced at the end and then Taiga just left and doesn’t come back until the pcs and that pcs wasn’t as fulfilling as I wanted it to be. Not to mention that none of the side characters got any sort of ending
The ending kind of left me empty, to be honest. But Taiga coming back in the last scene saved the series from dropping down a rating or two. I believe the point of Taiga going back to her parents or mother was to give her the attention that she needed to mature.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Aug 22, 2022 7:10 AM
May 2016
My problem is... hm... exactly the opposite.
It was painful to watch Taiga while we had much better and interesting side characters.
Ryuuji and Taiga interactions were repetitive. We always saw the same thing but in different settings. I mean tsundere acting like a tsundere.
While with the other girls they actually talked and at least it felt like their relationships are progressing.
Aug 22, 2022 7:15 AM

Mar 2021
i dont remember half of the stuff youre talking about but i can tell youre making a good point
Aug 22, 2022 7:24 AM
BIG SCHLONG MAN
Apr 2020
I see where you're coming from with Minori and Kitamura, but I think they're fine. They're not fleshed out because the story is being told from Ryuji and Taiga's perspectives, who don't see them for who they are. There's a reason for them being sidelined. As for Ami, she's my favorite side character. She has a great arc and is consistently important to the story as a voice of reason. I'd love to hear you clarify why you dislike her.
I pretend I'm funny
Aug 22, 2022 7:25 AM
Jul 2022
For Ami here is the why

https://youtu.be/G3wPcrRbT3o
Aug 22, 2022 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
Taiga, lost count of how many times i dropped the show because i couldn't stand her. Pulled through eventually though.
Aug 22, 2022 7:36 AM

Jun 2016
I hated how the romance with Taiga and Ryuji turned out, when they decided to turn on their close one and run off.

I also didn't like Minori's whole ''I can't be honest with my feelings''. they kept using that to make the plot move.

I found Ami, Kitamura and Yasuko to be the most interesting characters but unfortunately because they're only side characters, they're not the focus.
Aug 22, 2022 7:43 AM

Dec 2021
Aides64 said:
I see where you're coming from with Minori and Kitamura, but I think they're fine. They're not fleshed out because the story is being told from Ryuji and Taiga's perspectives, who don't see them for who they are. There's a reason for them being sidelined. As for Ami, she's my favorite side character. She has a great arc and is consistently important to the story as a voice of reason. I'd love to hear you clarify why you dislike her.
When Ami was introduced, I knew exactly what type of character she is. She gets stalked, that gets resolved, and yet she remains the same as ever. I feel like she is there most of the time to cause conflict between the characters, such as the scuffle with Minori that happened during christmas, I believe. That scene may have been important for Minori's development, but I thought of it as unnecessary as she could've handled the situation a lot better by talking to her in private. If you removed her from the show, I doubt it would've changed, even a slightest bit.

I may be biased towards her characters because I think she is an eyesore, but I don't believe that she ever had good character development.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Aug 22, 2022 7:47 AM
Dec 2021
Taiga- she was crazy in the beginning but as the
show went on her backstory with her and her family was very relatable that people can relate to. She's the tsundere queen. Also has her Moments of vulnerability and her craziness side with makes a good balance. When she does have friends she will do the most to help them that will benefit them most and she's very loyal and direct.

Kitamura- character wise he's okay but his arc in the series has to be the worst out of everyone else in the show if you compare to the main characters. But I do love his character arc on how to actually know a person before falling in love with them. Wished we got more of that tho.

The second time I watched the show. My perspective on kitamura and Minori changed but not for the better is why I put them where they were. Especially the last final few episodes on Minori.

Ami is the most misunderstood character in the show. And I hated her the first time watching but the second time I actually relate to her the most out of everyone. Her flaws are also the most realistic. I like her bitterly honest flow of the show and if it wasn't for her, Ryuuji and Taiga wouldn't be as close in the
show if she wasn't there.

Yasuko to me is the most underrated character of all time.
Aug 22, 2022 8:44 AM
Aug 2022
I think the worst part of the series was the beach episode. Tho onley important thing that happens was reūji and minori getting alone time on the porch which barley contributes to the story. It was a waste of 2 episodes.
Aug 22, 2022 9:07 AM
Jun 2021

Exactly, this video is quite explanatory
Aug 22, 2022 9:11 AM
Jun 2021
PleiadesTower said:
Ever since I watched this show, I've always been really annoyed at the side characters and especially Ami. The weakest part of this series are easily the side characters and their conduct.

Their actions, whatever meaning it has or for the sake of drama and tension, feel forced. Especially with Ami's. I don't understand just what the hell is her character supposed to represent and why she is acting the way she is during the last bits of the series and the reasons to even sympathize with her. (Rant.)

It doesn't mean that every action of theirs was unnecessary, and it still serves the story, though it damages my experience. (being subjective to make it apparent I am not speaking for the majority.)

Kitamura and Minori suffer from not being fleshed out well, with Ami having next to none, making her the specific target of this thread.

The only thing I loved about this show was the two main casts, and their relationship progression. It is easily the strongest part of the series, but if you remove the side characters whether I like it or not, and since Kitamura and Minori were the instigators for their relationship, it wouldn't be Toradora otherwise.

If I talk anymore about Ami, this would be an entire 1000 word essay about how her character is the worst offender of this. Having free time is dangerous all right.

Hello, i think you didn’t see what i was able to see, and it’s not an offense! ⠀
I would like to suggest you to watch this video ⠀

https://youtu.be/tuBO_D0dMn8

i hope this can show you a different prospective, even if it doesn’t make you change your mind :)
PekyoAug 22, 2022 9:19 AM
Aug 22, 2022 9:15 AM

Dec 2021
Even If I understood her actions, which to some extent I do and can really respect some of her decisions, however that doesn't change my stance at all.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Aug 22, 2022 9:16 AM
Jun 2021
sirfechin said:
show went on her backstory with her and her family was very relatable that people can relate to. She's the tsundere queen. Also has her Moments of vulnerability and her craziness side with makes a good balance. When she does have friends she will do the most to help them that will benefit them most and she's very loyal and direct.

Kitamura- character wise he's okay but his arc in the series has to be the worst out of everyone else in the show if you compare to the main characters. But I do love his character arc on how to actually know a person before falling in love with them. Wished we got more of that tho.

The second time I watched the show. My perspective on kitamura and Minori changed but not for the better is why I put them where they were. Especially the last final few episodes on Minori.

Ami is the most misunderstood character in the show. And I hated her the first time watching but the second time I actually relate to her the most out of everyone. Her flaws are also the most realistic. I like her bitterly honest flow of the show and if it wasn't for her, Ryuuji and Taiga wouldn't be as close in the

Well said, you are a good observer
Aug 22, 2022 9:41 AM
Jul 2022
PleiadesTower said:
Even If I understood her actions, which to some extent I do and can really respect some of her decisions, however that doesn't change my stance at all.

Ok, thanks for answer me 👍
Aug 22, 2022 9:45 AM
Jul 2022
Pekyo said:

Exactly, this video is quite explanatory

Thanks, i'm agree with you 👍
Aug 22, 2022 10:07 AM
Jan 2021
Oof, side characters are really fun imo other than when blue hair dude was whining over the president.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 22, 2022 10:23 AM

Sep 2010
First of all: Ami is not a side character but a main character.

I don't really see what your complain here is, that the side characters are not developed enough? This is a 25 episode anime with at least 5 really well written characters. If that's not enough for you maybe you want to check out the light novels, it's a bit more detailed there but putting every detail into an anime this short is just impossible.

Ami is by far the most well-written character of this anime, you might not be old or experienced enough to see all the fine nuances and hints she is giving. I see why people dislike her because she's a bit of a bitch sometimes but saying she acts forced and is badly written is just bullshit.
Aug 22, 2022 10:36 AM

May 2022

I found Ami’s crush on Ryuji to be one of the most poignant bits of the plot. And in the light novels, Ami had a little more detail, and a little more time with just Ryuji and Ami. I think some of her “screen time” got cut by the editors.
Aug 22, 2022 10:39 AM
Apr 2021
sirfechin said:

I don’t see how you don’t realize all these characters you’re describing have been seen before, some of the most common anime character development cliches.
Aug 22, 2022 10:42 AM
Apr 2021
ateks said:

I don't really see what your complain here is, that the side characters are not developed enough? This is a 25 episode anime with at least 5 really well written characters. If that's not enough for you maybe you want to check out the light novels, it's a bit more detailed there but putting every detail into an anime this short is just impossible.

Ami is by far the most well-written character of this anime, you might not be old or experienced enough to see all the fine nuances and hints she is giving. I see why people dislike her because she's a bit of a bitch sometimes but saying she acts forced and is badly written is just bullshit.

Yeah I don’t think there’s a problem with the side characters, but there are definitely problems with the main characters. Taiga is the most cliche tsundere in existence and the MC barely has a presence beyond being the focus of yet another dry joke
Aug 22, 2022 10:47 AM
Jun 2021
RetroGressive said:
sirfechin said:

I don’t see how you don’t realize all these characters you’re describing have been seen before, some of the most common anime character development cliches.

Toradora came out in 2008 so I don’t think this characters were cliché at the time.
Especially for Ami and Ryuji
Aug 22, 2022 11:17 AM

Jan 2022
Pekyo said:
RetroGressive said:

Toradora came out in 2008 so I don’t think this characters were cliché at the time.
Especially for Ami and Ryuji
Exactly what I was going to say. This is like calling Romeo and Juliet a cliché because you’ve seen it before. There's a reason why Toradora!'s clichés became clichés in the first place.
-insert NGE meme here-
Aug 22, 2022 11:19 AM

Jan 2022
Bruh why you gotta come at my girl Ami like that? If anything she’s the only good one of the series as she’s the sole person to call out everyone else on their melodrama bs.
-insert NGE meme here-
Aug 22, 2022 11:28 AM

Dec 2021
ateks said:

I never mentioned the writing or questioned it and I can see your point, however I don't share the same opinion. I may check the light novels, though.

I am not close-minded as to completely disregard Ami as forced and badly written. the same points (save badly written) can be applied to both Kitamura and Minori, just because I don't like her as a character. I am biased, so that can explain why I targeted this specific character. I put the rant tag there as to make it apparent that it is my own rambling. Though, my opinion is susceptible to change.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Aug 22, 2022 1:31 PM

Oct 2021
Kirisakisan said:
I agree with you and your statement about supporting cast not being that fleshed but they acted more like catalysts. Aside from Ami saw some development but it wasnt that much.

not really related to your comment but where did you get that nisekoi pfp? could I have a link please? :3
yes.
Aug 22, 2022 5:54 PM
Jul 2022
OG_Otaku said:

I found Ami’s crush on Ryuji to be one of the most poignant bits of the plot. And in the light novels, Ami had a little more detail, and a little more time with just Ryuji and Ami. I think some of her “screen time” got cut by the editors.

I agree 👍 The authors perhaps did not want to complicate the relationships between the main characters of the anime to make it more linear. The choice to create a mature character like Ami was a great idea and Ami herself deserves more space in the development of the story (or in a side story, who knows...😎).
Aug 22, 2022 8:40 PM
Apr 2021
PleiadesTower said:

I disagree with the ami rant
I loved her character and felt what she did had meaning and yes she was an instigator, so it's not like her acts have no purpose
Aug 22, 2022 8:43 PM
Apr 2021
Aides64 said:

thank you , we love to hear it
Aug 22, 2022 8:48 PM
Apr 2021
PleiadesTower said:

that means you don't like the character and role she's meant to play. don't make her a bad apple
Aug 23, 2022 12:17 AM
Mar 2021
I actually really liked ami. she is the person who has knowledge if people's feeling. I think the way see acts is becoz the people around her are not realizing their feeling or not being true to them. The person who she thought understand didn't love her and she knew in the end taiga and ryuji would be together. So I think she really is a great character in this anime.
Aug 23, 2022 5:15 AM
Mar 2021
for me it the opposite

I like toradora for side characters and ami is actually my favorite character from toradora,she was even in my top 10 favourite character on mal for like a month

and on other side the worst flaw of toradora for me is taiga she is basically any other tsundere
Aug 23, 2022 5:37 AM
Jan 2021
Idk how controversial this might be but it was my first romance anime (unless you can’t tagaki san) and honestly the ending pissed me off. The side characters didn’t bother me much until the ending when minori gives up on her own feelings for taiga even though in the beginning Taiga was supposed to be getting the MC together with minori. Honestly Taiga as a whole just pissed me off, she was childish, violent and unaware for basically the entire series. So much so that her best friend had sacrifice so much for Taiga to be happy. Honestly it wouldn’t have been a 10/10 but the ending makes me wanna give it a 1.
Aug 23, 2022 6:09 AM

Oct 2013
Khushal_v said:
and on other side the worst flaw of toradora for me is taiga she is basically any other tsundere
RetroGressive said:
Taiga is the most cliche tsundere in existence
ktg said:
Ryuuji and Taiga interactions were repetitive. We always saw the same thing but in different settings. I mean tsundere acting like a tsundere.
Im not here to defend Taiga as a character, I think she very low tier compared to other Rie voiced characters from J.C

But Id like to just point out Taiga isn't actually a tsundere but just a violent person in general, when she was in love with Kitamura she never treated him coldly nor was she really trying to hide her love for him because she was ashamed to be in love with him

The way she treats Ryuuji is more so just a depiction of how she treats most people, which is why she is feared at school as the Palmtop Tiger
Aug 23, 2022 7:46 AM
May 2016
Deknijff said:
Khushal_v said:
RetroGressive said:
ktg said:
Im not here to defend Taiga as a character, I think she very low tier compared to other Rie voiced characters from J.C

But Id like to just point out Taiga isn't actually a tsundere but just a violent person in general, when she was in love with Kitamura she never treated him coldly nor was she really trying to hide her love for him because she was ashamed to be in love with him

The way she treats Ryuuji is more so just a depiction of how she treats most people, which is why she is feared at school as the Palmtop Tiger

She is a tsundere. Taiga is not just violent, but yes, that's part of it. When she is embarrassed or someone helping her out, there is no reason to act violently if she's not a tsundere, while Taiga does.
And even the anime itself consider her as tsundere, because it provided a backstory for her, where it got explained why she is cold towards others.
And btw, tsundere is not just being cold, but could mean being rude or hostile.
Aug 23, 2022 8:48 AM
BIG SCHLONG MAN
Apr 2020
Igreja said:
Aides64 said:
When Ami was introduced, I knew exactly what type of character she is. She gets stalked, that gets resolved, and yet she remains the same as ever. I feel like she is there most of the time to cause conflict between the characters, such as the scuffle with Minori that happened during christmas, I believe. That scene may have been important for Minori's development, but I thought of it as unnecessary as she could've handled the situation a lot better by talking to her in private. If you removed her from the show, I doubt it would've changed, even a slightest bit.

I may be biased towards her characters because I think she is an eyesore, but I don't believe that she ever had good character development.

Thanks for the response. The reason she doesn't change is because that's not the point. The point of her arc was to allow her to be herself without fear. She's the only character who doesn't hide her feelings about anything, and it's because of this that I didn't find any of her conflict forced.
I pretend I'm funny
Aug 23, 2022 10:17 AM
Apr 2021
Deknijff said:
Khushal_v said:
RetroGressive said:
ktg said:

I mean, ya kinda just explained a tsundere
Aug 23, 2022 11:19 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Taiga is the best character in this series. People who hate her either really hate tsunderes (which is okay) or are just seething ami/minoritards.

I hate that stupid whore Ami and wished she got hit by truck kun.
Aug 23, 2022 3:22 PM
Aug 2019
The weakest part was the last 15 episodes
Aug 23, 2022 3:30 PM

Oct 2013
ktg said:
Deknijff said:

She is a tsundere. Taiga is not just violent, but yes, that's part of it. When she is embarrassed or someone helping her out, there is no reason to act violently if she's not a tsundere, while Taiga does.
Why do you say this but literally almost right after say this
ktg said:
it provided a backstory for her, where it got explained why she is cold towards others.
Yes exactly she acts like that because her childhood makes it hard for her to interact with other people now in her teens
ktg said:
Yeah yeah of course but that wasn't the point, she is rude and hostile towards almost everyone. The problem is Taiga isn't acting like that towards Ryuuji for romantic reasons but just her natural usual self

She isn't a real tsundere like Hinagiku, Kirino or Minami who do act the way they do because they're in love with a specific person

You can't just look at the surface level details and say she a Tsundere. It would be like calling Seryuu and Takami Yanderes like Yuno and Renner

Just cause on a superficial level they derive great pleasure in hurting others or having no issues with killing
Aug 23, 2022 4:24 PM
May 2016
Deknijff said:
ktg said:
Why do you say this but literally almost right after say this
ktg said:
it provided a backstory for her, where it got explained why she is cold towards others.
Yes exactly she acts like that because her childhood makes it hard for her to interact with other people now in her teens
ktg said:
Yeah yeah of course but that wasn't the point, she is rude and hostile towards almost everyone. The problem is Taiga isn't acting like that towards Ryuuji for romantic reasons but just her natural usual self

She isn't a real tsundere like Hinagiku, Kirino or Minami who do act the way they do because they're in love with a specific person

You can't just look at the surface level details and say she a Tsundere. It would be like calling Seryuu and Takami Yanderes like Yuno and Renner

Just cause on a superficial level they derive great pleasure in hurting others or having no issues with killing

You seem to be mistaken. Tsundere can act harshly towards everyone. It's not like tsundere must acts friendly with everyone, but her loved one, because she acts coldly towards him. The difference between her love interest and others that her feelings are not cold towards the love interest. Like, for example, Misaki Ayuzawa who "interestingly" treat other males coldly too.
So no, your point is simply not true.

And I mentioned her backstory, because that's actually a proof why she is a tsundere. It's not a reason why she acts violently towards everyone, even towards the one that helping her. That's a separate character trait. Her backstory tells us why she can't show her feelings, so why she is tsundere.
Aug 24, 2022 1:39 AM
Nov 2020
Toradora’s main faults to me are lacking overall character depth and the rushed anime only ending. I still like the characters, but it is clear that there isn’t much to them, and they always fail to surprise the viewer.
Aug 24, 2022 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
ktg said:
You seem to be mistaken. Tsundere can act harshly towards everyone. It's not like tsundere must acts friendly with everyone, but her loved one, because she acts coldly towards him. The difference between her love interest and others that her feelings are not cold towards the love interest. Like, for example, Misaki Ayuzawa who "interestingly" treat other males coldly too.

And I mentioned her backstory, because that's actually a proof why she is a tsundere. It's not a reason why she acts violently towards everyone, even towards the one that helping her. That's a separate character trait. Her backstory tells us why she can't show her feelings, so why she is tsundere.
I guess if you don’t see my point despite my examples I mentioned we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this subject
Aug 24, 2022 1:56 PM
May 2016
Deknijff said:
ktg said:

I guess if you don’t see my point despite my examples I mentioned we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this subject

Because your argument is invalid. Even if you provide valid examples that doesn't prove your point. I'll give an example where the statement false, but the example is correct like in your case.

My example is, Opel Astra has 4 wheels. Everyone can check this example, you just need to google it.
But if my statement is the following: boats are the same as cars and the example is Opel Astra has 4 wheels.

In reality your examples has nothing to do with your statement, because you name different characters and different personalities. That's why your point is non-existent.
Aug 24, 2022 2:43 PM

Oct 2013
ktg said:
Deknijff said:
Because your argument is invalid. Even if you provide valid examples that doesn't prove your point. I'll give an example where the statement false, but the example is correct like in your case.

My example is, Opel Astra has 4 wheels. Everyone can check this example, you just need to google it.
But if my statement is the following: boats are the same as cars and the example is Opel Astra has 4 wheels.

In reality your examples has nothing to do with your statement, because you name different characters and different personalities. That's why your point is non-existent.
Sure sure man if you say so I guess
Aug 25, 2022 3:24 AM
May 2016
Deknijff said:
ktg said:

Sure sure man if you say so I guess

No, the anime itself, ToraDora says you are wrong. That's why you can't refute anything that I mentioned, because what I mentioned are in the anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 26, 2008

284 by Matheus050 »»
May 8, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Best Toradora girl? (Repost)

JustSomeone15 - Apr 27

26 by VOLTHOR6 »»
May 3, 4:04 PM

» Toradora's Blu-ray has an issue

JustSomeone15 - Apr 29

2 by Binkini »»
Apr 30, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 15, 2008

238 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:56 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sonja - Mar 25, 2009

1109 by Laylabc »»
Apr 24, 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.