Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2022 5:56 PM
Apr 2022
so i've watched 9 episodes of gurren lagann so far and i hate to say that i'm a little disappointed. i want to like it because i've heard so many rave reviews about this anime and i know a lot of people love it, but personally i've been struggling to get into it. does it get better in later episodes, or should i just drop it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 9, 2022 6:13 PM

Sep 2020
I feel it starts to pick up a lot near the end
Aug 9, 2022 6:14 PM

May 2021
lilm16 said:
so i've watched 9 episodes of gurren lagann so far and i hate to say that i'm a little disappointed. i want to like it because i've heard so many rave reviews about this anime and i know a lot of people love it, but personally i've been struggling to get into it. does it get better in later episodes, or should i just drop it?

it gets better but you will absolutely love it if you are more of a mecha fan.
if you are not you will still think it was ok
and if you decide to continue don't forget to watch 2nd movie its a recap of 2nd half but final scene was better animated
1st movie was same as first half so no need to watch it
El-Psy__CongrooAug 9, 2022 6:20 PM
Aug 9, 2022 6:15 PM

Jul 2022
You're a third of the way through, so if you don't care for it by now I doubt you will by the end.

I'd only suggest sticking with it if you're a completionist.
Aug 9, 2022 6:22 PM

Mar 2021
I didn't like the anime either but the 2nd movie was nice because it condensed everything and left all the good parts

I don't remember exactly where the 2nd movie starts relative to the anime
Aug 9, 2022 6:27 PM
Dec 2020
Hmm, I’m not really sure what to say. Those who finish it praise it to the moon and back as an absolute hype beast (I’m one of them) but I can understand why you wouldn’t be able to get into it. That being said, at the point you’re in, the plot takes a slight twist into big character development. Maybe give the show and extra episode to see if you like that, if not then it’s fine. But just to let you know: after that part, the show takes a bit twist into a different scenario that had a deals a bit with ethics and then goes the final arc where epicness becomes the norm. (Also, remember to shut down your brain for the last arc, it’s just better that way) honestly, it’s a show I’d recommend anyone, but I can understand if the start of it outs you off. Either way, you’re the one watching it so just do whatever you find most enjoyable <3
Aug 9, 2022 6:33 PM
Jun 2021
Its one of my favorite shows ever so im bias. The second half is incredible and the first half I enjoyed a lot too so maybe you dont like mechaa and trigger
Aug 9, 2022 6:59 PM

Dec 2017
What do you not like about it? Is it the mecha? Does it feel too slow?

I remember enjoying the entire show from start to finish. But I watched it when I was fairly new to the world of anime and I just wanted to watch it all. I remember it got super good towards the end. Just stick with it, second half is great.
violadimAug 9, 2022 7:02 PM
Aug 9, 2022 7:54 PM
Dec 2021
my boyfriend got me to watch it bc he’s super into trigger and mecha stuff. i thought it was decent, but it wasn’t a homerun like it is for him but that’s mainly because he’s obsessed with mecha. though i do really like trigger in general

i started getting into it more around ep 12-14ish where plot and character development pick up so if you’re not liking it by that point, it’s probably okay to call it
Aug 9, 2022 8:20 PM
Apr 2021
ChunchunmaruZcat said:
Hmm, I’m not really sure what to say. Those who finish it praise it to the moon and back as an absolute hype beast (I’m one of them) but I can understand why you wouldn’t be able to get into it. That being said, at the point you’re in, the plot takes a slight twist into big character development. Maybe give the show and extra episode to see if you like that, if not then it’s fine. But just to let you know: after that part, the show takes a bit twist into a different scenario that had a deals a bit with ethics and then goes the final arc where epicness becomes the norm. (Also, remember to shut down your brain for the last arc, it’s just better that way) honestly, it’s a show I’d recommend anyone, but I can understand if the start of it outs you off. Either way, you’re the one watching it so just do whatever you find most enjoyable <3

Interesting. I found the last arc to be the worse, with the characters having unnecessary and random character changes. The ending theme was also exceptionally bad
Aug 9, 2022 8:22 PM
Apr 2021
Sagepool said:
Its one of my favorite shows ever so im bias. The second half is incredible and the first half I enjoyed a lot too so maybe you dont like mechaa and trigger

My hero acedamia and mirai nikki in favorites? 🗑
Aug 9, 2022 8:31 PM
Dec 2020
RetroGressive said:
ChunchunmaruZcat said:

Interesting. I found the last arc to be the worse, with the characters having unnecessary and random character changes. The ending theme was also exceptionally bad

That’s fair, a few characters did some random things and things went in a direction that they didn’t have to, but as I said, it’s a show to turn off your mind, they clearly didn’t think to polish the story and they didn’t care so neither should I (to some extent)
Aug 9, 2022 8:33 PM
Dec 2020
RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

Also, could you not trash in peoples taste for anime? Everyone has a different life growing up so they end up liking different things. Trashing on what they enjoy most is not the Kamina lifestyle and not a manly thing to do so let’s all just enjoy anime whatever way we want ;)
Aug 9, 2022 9:32 PM
Apr 2021
SsilverD said:

I thought it was pretty mediocre. But I understand it has a certain appeal. Life’s too short, though. There are so many shows out there, that if it’s not for you, you shouldn’t feel guilty if you stop watching.

I won’t think any less of you if you stop watching, and the creators will never find out.
Aug 9, 2022 9:32 PM
Jun 2021
RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

And Sonny Boy is a favorite? Ya I really enjoyed Future Diary and the early parts of My Hero. Now I’d probably change out My Hero for Made in Abyss though
Aug 9, 2022 9:52 PM
Mar 2021
You really didn't like episode 8? I felt like the show gets exponentially better and better but episode 8 is clearly a huge jump in quality.
Aug 9, 2022 10:00 PM

Feb 2020
lilm16 said:

Pretty much.. NO. I remember that I know right after the second episode that this isn't gonna cut it. Although I completed it, which I somewhat regretted to do so I wouldn't recommend to watch any more of this as there are way better animes out there.

Aug 9, 2022 10:01 PM
Feb 2021
RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

.........cringe
Aug 9, 2022 10:02 PM
Jan 2016
lilm16 said:

yeah its a bit slow i loved the start of it, but i udnerstand that with high expectations it might be a bit underwhelming.

its definetely worth finishing as i think the last 7 episodes are some of the strongest episodes of all time.
Aug 9, 2022 10:07 PM
Aug 2022
If you think it's bad then how do you expect it to end?
Aug 9, 2022 10:15 PM
Aug 2022
yes it does 1000000
Aug 9, 2022 11:51 PM

Dec 2017
RetroGressive said:
ChunchunmaruZcat said:

Everyday I’m at risk of hearing a 14 year olds opinion should be a human rights violation
Aug 9, 2022 11:56 PM
Jun 2021
lilm16 said:

I was in the same boat as you, i hade it as a 6 after 15 episodes. And then when I finish it, it became one of my top 10. This show can only be truly appreciated as a whole complete thing. It’s the whole show with the build up andthe message that make it amazing. Please keep watching 🙏.
Aug 10, 2022 12:20 AM
Mar 2021
I thought the first half was good but then it got really bad after that
Aug 10, 2022 1:23 AM
Jun 2020
I really liked the show towards the end actually, more so than the beginning. I thought it did a good job being realistic about covering the issues in starting a new country and set up the plot decently well. The last fight was pretty cool too but I guess I’m a semi-mecha fan so I’m kinda biased. I also really liked how they redeemed certain antagonistic characters like the blonde guy.
Cross_2DAug 10, 2022 1:26 AM
Aug 10, 2022 2:08 AM
Aug 2020
after 8 episodes..... just drop it
Cant think of a signature
Aug 10, 2022 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
The late episodes were dope.
Aug 10, 2022 4:26 AM
Nov 2021
it's already good at episode 9 if you're not enjoying it at that point then just drop it
Aug 10, 2022 6:03 AM

Feb 2019
RetroGressive said:
ChunchunmaruZcat said:

Excuse you? Can you be clear by what you mean by "ending theme," are you talking about the actual theme of the show changing toward the end, or? And what changes would you consider random or unnecessary?
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Aug 10, 2022 9:56 AM
Apr 2021
Sagepool said:
RetroGressive said:

RetroGressive said:

And Sonny Boy is a favorite? Ya I really enjoyed Future Diary and the early parts of My Hero. Now I’d probably change out My Hero for Made in Abyss though

Future diary is a literal cess pool of everything wrong with pseudo-psychological anime. It’s needlessly edgy, sexualizes literal kids, and is full of nonsensical characters and plot holes.
Aug 10, 2022 9:58 AM
Apr 2021
ChunchunmaruZcat said:
RetroGressive said:

Also, could you not trash in peoples taste for anime? Everyone has a different life growing up so they end up liking different things. Trashing on what they enjoy most is not the Kamina lifestyle and not a manly thing to do so let’s all just enjoy anime whatever way we want ;)

Even so, some shows can just be objectively better.
Aug 10, 2022 10:05 AM
Apr 2021
O_T_T said:
RetroGressive said:

Excuse you? Can you be clear by what you mean by "ending theme," are you talking about the actual theme of the show changing toward the end, or? And what changes would you consider random or unnecessary?

The ending theme of leaving everything to the younger generations was the worst theme to end an anime that was always about not leaving everything to fate, and instead getting off the ground and fighting for what you love. They killed that with this horrendous final theme. The unnecessary changes are how the characters changed after the time keep. They become completely different from pre-time skip they feel like different characters all together. Rest of show was great tho tbh
Aug 10, 2022 10:14 AM
Apr 2021
Error_JJBA said:
RetroGressive said:

Everyday I’m at risk of hearing a 14 year olds opinion should be a human rights violation

What’s up with the ageism? Also I find it infantile for you to go out of your way to shallowly complain that I articulated a shows objective flaws. This isn’t my opinion, these are objectives faults with the writing and the show as a whole.
Aug 10, 2022 2:33 PM
Jun 2021
RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

Future diary is a literal cess pool of everything wrong with pseudo-psychological anime. It’s needlessly edgy, sexualizes literal kids, and is full of nonsensical characters and plot holes.

And Sonny Boy is a crappy arthouse anime for redditors. I liked Future Diary and Idc what you think of my favorites. you asked a question on Gurren Lagann not my taste. If your going to ask a forum for advice don’t go bad mouthing people’s favorites. Don’t act like a superior person cause you like being pretentious
Aug 10, 2022 4:18 PM

May 2022
*possible, but not very hard, spoilers*
non-biased opinion here. if you don't like it by now - i suggest you drop it, there is literally nothing significantly better going in the end.
if you didn't like characters and expect serious development, there is little to none, except rossiu, he is interesting now and becomes even more interesting during part 2 (after compilation episode 16), and maybe spiral king too. simon literally becomes half simon, half kamina and all the others stay the same.
if you didn't like the fights, then nothing changes. it is still about fighting spirit and determination which helps everyone win.
if you didn't like the overall plot, it kinda becomes more wide-ranged and interesting, but still generic, fight down an enemy to know that there is one much greater than this one.
also the ending is kinda weak and i bet was written in 5 minutes or so.
stepped on a rake with TTGL having pretty high rating on mal, definitely doesnt deserves this, gets 5/10 from me and mostly because of rossiu.
XalekMeAug 10, 2022 5:10 PM
Aug 10, 2022 4:24 PM

May 2022
XalekMe said:
non-biased opinion here. if you don't like it by now - drop it, there is literally nothing significantly better going in the end.
if you didn't like characters and expect serious development, there is little to none, except rossiu, he is interesting now and becomes even more interesting during part 2 (after compilation episode 16), and maybe spiral king too. simon literally becomes half simon, half kamina and all the others stay the same.
if you didn't like the fights, then nothing changes. it is still about fighting spirit and determination which helps everyone win.
if you didn't like the overall plot, it kinda becomes more wide-ranged and interesting, but still generic, fight down an enemy to know that there is one much greater than this one.
stepped on a rake with TTGL having pretty high rating on mal, definitely doesnt deserves this, gets 6/10 from me and mostly because of rossiu.

and if you didnt like the childish nature of the show, it is somewhat dying down in the part 2, but is still there.
also, i saw many people here mentioning it, but dont compare gurren lagann to other mecha titles, like eva, franxx or eighty-six, it kinda is more about the fights and fighting spirit so it is giving off 'power rangers' vibes in many aspects.
Aug 10, 2022 4:29 PM

May 2022
XalekMe said:
XalekMe said:
non-biased opinion here. if you don't like it by now - drop it, there is literally nothing significantly better going in the end.
stepped on a rake with TTGL having pretty high rating on mal, definitely doesnt deserves this, gets 6/10 from me and mostly because of rossiu.

and if you didnt like the childish nature of the show, it is somewhat dying down in the part 2, but is still there.
also, i saw many people here mentioning it, but dont compare gurren lagann to other mecha titles, like eva, franxx or eighty-six, it kinda is more about the fights and fighting spirit so it is giving off 'power rangers' vibes in many aspects.

and there are still plotholes that you just cant forget about an find an answer for.
e.g. where do they keep getting all this exotic food, or how do they repair gunmen and the main ship, since they have literally no resources and no means to get them. only gurren lagann can repair itself, which is also seems stupid and out of place.
the overall absurdity of antagonists' action and all...
well you get the point
Aug 10, 2022 9:59 PM
Apr 2021
Sagepool said:
RetroGressive said:

And Sonny Boy is a crappy arthouse anime for redditors. I liked Future Diary and Idc what you think of my favorites. you asked a question on Gurren Lagann not my taste. If your going to ask a forum for advice don’t go bad mouthing people’s favorites. Don’t act like a superior person cause you like being pretentious

Crappy arthouse anime? First off you haven’t even seen it, and second whilst the unequaled aesthetic in Sonny Boy enhances the show it is first and foremost a deep and anomalous show about finding your way in life. Pretentious? If you’re incompetent to discuss on an intellectual level then just admit it. Future Diary is an objective atrocity and one that sexualizes literal children. So degenerative
Aug 11, 2022 12:52 AM
Jun 2021
RetroGressive said:
Sagepool said:

Crappy arthouse anime? First off you haven’t even seen it, and second whilst the unequaled aesthetic in Sonny Boy enhances the show it is first and foremost a deep and anomalous show about finding your way in life. Pretentious? If you’re incompetent to discuss on an intellectual level then just admit it. Future Diary is an objective atrocity and one that sexualizes literal children. So degenerative

I watched the first two episodes of Sonny Boy and said this is not for me. I tried talking to you like a person and you gone out of your way to argue. Your arguing with everyone on the forum even though you asked a question. We all took some time to help you out and you insulted most of us. I assume your young. Go back to Twitter and be pretentious or have a normal discussion on here.
Aug 11, 2022 12:56 AM
Jun 2021
ChunchunmaruZcat said:
RetroGressive said:

Thank you Chunchunmaru btw. This kid wouldn’t stop going off at me for no reason. Just trying to answer his question and he has to pry into all my stuff
Aug 11, 2022 1:18 AM
Aug 2022
lilm16 said:

keep watching it because after time skip anime is amazing
Aug 11, 2022 4:05 AM

Feb 2019
RetroGressive said:
The ending theme of leaving everything to the younger generations was the worst theme to end an anime that was always about not leaving everything to fate, and instead getting off the ground and fighting for what you love. They killed that with this horrendous final theme.

Neither of those were the themes of the show. You did watch it, right? TTGL never presented any idea of "leaving anything to younger generations," we only saw how, having achieved their goals, the cast was able to ensure that younger generations didn't have to face the same struggles they did. It's almost like you forgot what the goal was, and missed where they achieved it.

The unnecessary changes are how the characters changed after the time keep. They become completely different from pre-time skip they feel like different characters all together. Rest of show was great tho tbh

You do realise that is the point of a time-skip? To demonstrate how time has caused the cast to change after the previous events? And I'm still not seeing how any are "unnecessary," other than just you preferred them earlier.
Aug 11, 2022 4:26 AM
Apr 2021
O_T_T said:
RetroGressive said:
The ending theme of leaving everything to the younger generations was the worst theme to end an anime that was always about not leaving everything to fate, and instead getting off the ground and fighting for what you love. They killed that with this horrendous final theme.

Neither of those were the themes of the show. You did watch it, right? TTGL never presented any idea of "leaving anything to younger generations," we only saw how, having achieved their goals, the cast was able to ensure that younger generations didn't have to face the same struggles they did. It's almost like you forgot what the goal was, and missed where they achieved it.

The unnecessary changes are how the characters changed after the time keep. They become completely different from pre-time skip they feel like different characters all together. Rest of show was great tho tbh

You do realise that is the point of a time-skip? To demonstrate how time has caused the cast to change after the previous events? And I'm still not seeing how any are "unnecessary," other than just you preferred them earlier.

That theme was the most prominent in especially the last scenes. And they handled the time-skip poorly. They nonsensically changed previously established characters with no correlation to their past selves, which just goes to show that this anime uses its characters only to progress the story, explaining their inherent shallowness. Gurren Lagan is solely meant to excite the viewer with cool visuals and an epic story yet beneath that facade there’s really not much worth.
Aug 11, 2022 4:30 AM

Feb 2019
RetroGressive said:
O_T_T said:

That theme was the most prominent in especially the last scenes. And they handled the time-skip poorly. They nonsensically changed previously established characters with no correlation to their past selves, which just goes to show that this anime uses its characters only to progress the story, explaining their inherent shallowness. Gurren Lagan is solely meant to excite the viewer with cool visuals and an epic story yet beneath that facade there’s really not much worth.

Uh, what? You're just reaffirming what you said earlier. Did you not read the issues with your view I pointed out earlier?
Aug 11, 2022 12:18 PM
Mar 2022
SsilverD said:

In my opinion, I thought the second half was worse.
Aug 12, 2022 1:26 AM
Feb 2021
After episode 9, it gets better. Then the last arc of the show is bad.
epl_fanAug 12, 2022 1:31 AM
Aug 12, 2022 1:33 AM
Feb 2021
Stewie2005 said:
SsilverD said:

In my opinion, I thought the second half was worse.

Time skip arc story was awful.
Aug 12, 2022 1:36 AM
Feb 2021
lilm16 said:

I think the next arc: ep 10-15 has a solid story. After that the story gets worse.
Aug 12, 2022 4:02 AM
Mar 2021
It doesn’t. When watching it I thought it’s gonna get better. But its just not a good show
Aug 14, 2022 6:18 PM
Feb 2021
It got good at ep1 for me so might as well cut your losses
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

23 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.