Forum Settings
Forums

I watched the movie with zero expectations and liked it. So, what do I watch next from the SAO franchise? Or should I wait for the next progressive movie?

Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 30, 2022 11:13 PM

Aug 2020
I enjoyed the movie and I want to know what to watch next. I heard that this is a better version of the Aincrad arc but from Asuna's POV.
If I were to start from SAO anime now, would it hinder my enjoyment? I ask this because I heard that the anime did not adapt these parts well.

Also, are they gonna adapt all the progressive novels in the form of movies? If so, it would take a long time considering movie production and release time.
Jul 30, 2022 11:26 PM
Jun 2021
mr_modest said:
I enjoyed the movie and I want to know what to watch next. I heard that this is a better version of the Aincrad arc but from Asuna's POV.
If I were to start from SAO anime now, would it hinder my enjoyment? I ask this because I heard that the anime did not adapt these parts well.

Also, are they gonna adapt all the progressive novels in the form of movies? If so, it would take a long time considering movie production and release time.

I think they are trying to adapt all the novels. I hope they do cause from what I’ve seen they are decent. And it won’t hinder your enjoyment. maybe of episode 2, cause basically the movie is just episode 2 of sao but better. But thats about it i would recommend it if you enjoyed the movie, cause the later parts like alicization are even better.

And if you want to watch the rest of sao follow this order.

Sao
Sao II
Sao movie ordinal scale
Sao alicization
Sao alicization war of the underworld
Sao alicization war of the underworld part 2
Jul 30, 2022 11:39 PM
Mar 2022
If you liked the movie you will probably like the og series but just take note that some story elements change especially in Asuna’s story and Kirito is the main character for the show but the series has the same writing style and it’s about the same quality as the movie

You can watch the series from the beginning
Jul 31, 2022 12:00 AM

Jan 2021
Well, the events that occurred during the entire film were covered in like the first two episodes of the show. Take that as you will.
Jul 31, 2022 12:11 AM
Feb 2021
except gungale personally i liked the show
Jul 31, 2022 12:33 AM
Jun 2019
You should definitely watch all the seasons. If you enjoyed the movie I think you would enjoy it all. đź‘€
Jul 31, 2022 12:42 AM

Jan 2017
mr_modest said:
I heard that this is a better version of the Aincrad arc but from Asuna's POV.

Only this Movie is from the POV of Asuna , for the Novel , it's a mix , with a predominance of Kirito's POV.

Without going into details , the structure itself of the Aincrad Arc was written so that it would be "rushed".
Progressive is written by the Author to fix this "mistake" , by diving completely into all details of the Aincrad.
So no , as 99% of what you'll see in Progressive is completely new content.

There is hints that could lead toward a TV Season for a future adaptation.
But yes , it'll take a very long time anyway , as the Novel is only at Floor 7 as of Volume 8 , when there is 75 Floors...
So around 80 Volumes if the Author doesn't want to fuck his concept in the end...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 31, 2022 2:32 AM
Dec 2021
if you liked the movie then you would probably like the show too. also I think they're gonna release a new movie every year so we won't have to wait to long for the next one
Aug 1, 2022 9:06 PM

Apr 2020
mr_modest said:

It's going to take such a long time for the movies. Try to watch the anime and see if you like it or not. First and season season are not the best, but the OS movie and alicization arc was great.
Aug 7, 2022 5:47 PM

Oct 2020
@mr_modest It depends on You. Progressive is definitely better but due to some reasons many of us including me prefer the first 2eps of s1 than the movie.

Trust me You should not miss Alicization, its AMAZING, honestly
You should focus here:
-Progressive will only show you Aincrad, inside SAO, you will never get to know what happened to the story later on. There are a few really Great arcs you might miss.

-Progressive gives Asuna & Kirito much depth, and there are some new characters never introduced in the main series.

-Imo, the outside world and various other MMOs like ALFheim Online, Gun Gale Online, Ordinal Scale, mechanisms like Medicuboid, Amusphere, Augma, Soul Translator apart from Nervegear etc are more fun and awesome to know about......

-You should not mind the pacing, just finish 1st 15eps and the pacing will become normal. S1 and s2 (till ep 18) doesn't provide much depth to the characters. And those You Tube videos you've watched, they insult s1 &s2, never talked about s3.

-Try not to hate the main series, it's entertaining. There are a 5min scene in the 2nd arc that might make u feel bad, but try to complete s2.

-It gets better later on, from the Mother's Rosario arc........

-The arc list
S1
•Aincrad (-15)
•Fairy Dance (16-25)
-----
S2
•Phantom Bullet (-14)
•Caliber (15,16,17)
Mother's Rosario (18-24)
-----
•Ordinal Scale the Movie
-----
S3
Alicization [47eps]
-----
Yet to be Adapted
•Moon Cradle [vol 19,20]
•Unital Ring (s3 sequel) [vol 21,23---]
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Aug 19, 2022 6:56 AM

Dec 2020
Alexioos95 said:
mr_modest said:
I heard that this is a better version of the Aincrad arc but from Asuna's POV.

Only this Movie is from the POV of Asuna , for the Novel , it's a mix , with a predominance of Kirito's POV.

Without going into details , the structure itself of the Aincrad Arc was written so that it would be "rushed".
Progressive is written by the Author to fix this "mistake" , by diving completely into all details of the Aincrad.
So no , as 99% of what you'll see in Progressive is completely new content.

There is hints that could lead toward a TV Season for a future adaptation.
But yes , it'll take a very long time anyway , as the Novel is only at Floor 7 as of Volume 8 , when there is 75 Floors...
So around 80 Volumes if the Author doesn't want to fuck his concept in the end...

They might have originally planned for 3 films then possibly go to a TV broadcast from there or they might just keep doing the films until the unital ring arc is over so they can do that then resume with the movies. Who knows
Aug 31, 2022 6:16 PM

Aug 2017
mr_modest said:
I enjoyed the movie and I want to know what to watch next.
Start with SAO main show. Then SAO 2. Then the one with Sinon. Then the Alice arcs. Sword art rocks.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Oct 29, 2021

255 by Krackle »»
May 15, 1:50 AM

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

56 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.