Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I deeply empathize with Squeelor and the outcome of his arc was enraging (warning: spoilers)

New
May 10, 2022 8:30 AM
Mar 2013
WARNING: SPOILERS TILL THE END OF THE SHOW

Note; This is not a criticism of the show, but instead a discussion of he story and the characters. In fact, it is a testament to the quality of the story that it can make me feel such RAGE on behalf of one of the characters who was portrayed as a villain in the flawed propaganda of the cantus-wielding humans.

---------------------------------------

Squealor was not the villain here, and even the thing that he is most criticized for... the means to his end that he used, if looked at objectively given the power dynamics between cantus-wielders and human-rats, his most criticized means were infact, strategically neccessary and defensible. He didn't do anything wrong. He was an absolute hero and visionary, on any objective basis. It enraged me to no end how it was that he was even slightly portrayed as a villain when it was an absolutely just rebellion. How anyone could make that assessment. Hear me out. This requires a slight bit of context. I wish I could have spoken this at the kangaroo court that tried Squeelor. I wish I could have punched the teeth of those who jeered at Squeelor when he spoke his final words before being mutilated. He said in his show-trial "We are not beasts or slaves! WE ARE HUMAN!". To Saki he said he would willingly acknowledge the humans he killed if the cantus-wielders would similarly acknowledge the millions of human-rats they killed like worms for centuries. Reminded me of the feelings I felt in "Braveheart" and it surprises me that SOME people see Squeelor as a villain. When he is the ONLY hero in the bigger picture. Saki and friend's bullshit interpersonal drama does not even scratch the surface of the enormity of the problem that is going on here. One must look at the root of the matter.

If one looks at the history of this world, one knows that the humans with Cantus (superpowers) had so much unchecked monopoly on power that Cantus-wielding humans who had even the slightest will and inclination to use their powers to inflict pain on others had ruled the world absolutely and without any possible challenge for millenia. There was a clear selection bias where cantus-users who were psychopaths were the ones who ruled over everyone. In that time, they had established dynasties of cruel hedonistic rulers who had dehumanized those whom they ruled and who done so much injustice to their FELLOW HUMANS including mass slavery, mass murder, and cruel and unusual punishments.

For a thousand years they did this. A thousand years of an Earth where the thrones of power were exclusively open only to the cantus-wielding human who had the psychopathic inclination to use their power to hurt others to get what they wanted.

When some of the humans who had superpowers (cantus) grew tired of the infighting and wanted some semblance of stability and peace... they tried to create checks and balances against those who would use Cantus to kill and torture others. But crucially, notice that they only thought of their own deliverance from the psychopathy of their fellow super-powered humans. The cantus-using scientists NEVER questioned the dehumanization of the rest of the human race. They did NOT think that the non-superpowered humans needed freeing under the new paradigm they would create. In fact, they wanted to ENSURE that the non-superpowered humans could still be murdered and forced to be slaves even if the cantus-users would be forced to be peaceful to their fellow elites. Even Satarou, who held a slaver's mindset against human-rats, acknowledged that their actions reflected a desire to maintain the privileged status of cantus-users.

So when the scientists modified themselves to be unable to kill other humans... their solution for the rest of humanity was to mutilate them into beasts enough so that they could still be murdered and enslaved. And they clearly had a culture of doing so, that was observable well into Saki's lifetime.

Thus, for un-superpowered humans, nothing changed. They were not just kept enslaved for 1000 years of rule by violent psychopaths... but when that era finally ended, they were robbed of their VERY HUMANITY to ensure they could STILL be enslaved and oppressed, as normal.

A millenia of injustice at the hands of psychopath cantus-users... and when it ended this would be the fate of the remainder of enslaved humanity. ENRAGING.

Given all that context, it makes Squeelor's vision absolutely justified. Wiping out cantus-users was justice. And a long time coming. Justice for all the billions that were heinously victimized by the cantus-wielders in their CENTURIES of wielding power. Cantus-wielders... who even after those centuries of unspeakable abuse, who had realized nothing. Who had no reached no moral realization. No guilt. Even after Squeelor's rebellion, majority of them were shameless and blind to what had caused this rebellion. They realized nothing. And even had the gall to punish squeelor's vision and genocide those who believed in it.

I dont claim that Squeelor was a perfect person. But perhaps the only criticism that can be heaped on him is that he was a leader who, while leading his race to emancipation, was criticized in the way any Abrahim Lincoln would be critcized by the slave-owning south. So WHAT? (I refuse to consider his tactics in war as a negative. He used his wits and every means at his disposal to end a millenia-old balancing act between the two options of slavery and extinction. He was fighting a war of survival against the vastly superior forces of the humans. The use of force is fucking authorized. Including stealing the power of the humans to turn it against them.)

Squealor's words durign his trial in episode 25, when we see how resigned he was to death for the regret he felt for failing to change history. We hear how sincere he was in the reasonable words he spoke. He made hard choices but it was all for the sake of the freedom, of reclaiming the way of life stolen from humans of 21st century humanity (btw, who WERE the human-rats. Me and you, unsuperpowered humans, in this show's timeline, would be the ancestors of the humanrats).

Squeelor was sincere. He was not acting out in any selfish capaicity.

Are we supposed to ignore that he was a slave who longed for freedom? That aside from just freedom from literal chattel slavery... he also wanted the freedom to advance the civics and technology that his actually impoverished society desperately needed to take care of themselves (simple things like being allowed to build proper concrete shelters for themselves rather than rely on caves or farm food efficiently). Are we supposed to ignore that his revolution was fighting against the viciously oppressive and socially-backwards puppet-queens? Are we ignoring that squeelor transformed his own society from an infighting slave society based on fighting each other for scraps of resources while devoting all their labour to serving cantus-wielders? Squeelor introduced meritocracy, democracy and unity between different colonies of human rats (the "unity" bit is a big reason for why the queens had to be removed from power), and tried to make the human-rat society more similar to the human-society of 21st century Japan prior to its destruction by psychopathic Cantus wielders.

So these were fundamentally just causes of a badly repressed HUMAN society that remembered its past. And are we ignoring that once the human-rats demanded any freedom, it fundamentally became a war for survival? For even a single cantus-wielding human who disagreed could murder every remaining human-rat single-handedly? That a MAJORITY of the adult Cantus-wielding population had innocent and unprovoked human-rat blood on their hands long before the war? Given this reality, if the human rats wanted freedom, they had to ensure no surviving cantus-wielders.

So the facts support that the cause the human-rats fought for were so essential and basic and reasonable and inspired by the memories of 21st century humanity which human-rats like Squeelor had discovered. They were just. Their desires were reasonable. Their outlook on the future was hopeful and inspired. The cantus-wielding humans were the villains and a deeply flawed and repressed society with problematic and inherently unstable powers that HAD to be slaughtered. That's not even to mention that they deserved to be punished. Not punished for the actions of their prior generations of the previous thousand years. No. The majority of the individuals who were allowed to grow up to adulthood in the society Saki lived in deserved to be slaughtered.

This is not a historical grudge against the cantus-wielders who took away the basic humanity of their slaves. No, there were even issues at play that were immediate.

The cantus-wielding humans were oppressors under any reasonable definition. Genocidists. Mass murderers who killed entire colonies in group punishments over trivial things (sometimes they killed colonies of rats in whimsical outbursts. Group punishments for things that were own fucking fault). Torturers. They didn't even treat the human-rats who grew their food and did their work with basic respect, yet demanded total subserviance from them (the human rats were trained to bow or be killed). They even went so far as to forbid human-rat society from advancement and gaining technologies that the desperately poor human-rats needed. They didnt give individual human-rats any rights and any cantus-wielder could do anything to them without consequence. Whereas a rat who did a crime would be put on trial not just for his own life, but the life of his family, and his whole tribe because thats how the humans liked it. Group punishments.

There was no honour among the humans. Saki was an individual. And the fact is that the nature of cantus means that as long as there are no Inhibitors in place, any human who is a psychopath is exclusively the ONLY one in charge. If ever in the future, there was just a single cantus-wielding human born who had views other than Saki, he could turn the queerats into mincemeat and the other humans could do NOTHING to stop him. And given the fact that the human society had the gall to make Squeelor into a villain... it'd be guarranteed that this would be brainwashing future generations would inevitably be exposed to. You just need ONE cantus-wielder to decide the human-rats need to be punished.

And the fact is... that you dont even need a mass murdering inclined cantus-wielder... any random cantus-wielder is likely to commit sadistic maiming of the human-rats in just pure racist hatred.

Kiroumaru, the collaborator who helped Saki, was a spineless and short-sighted traitor who understood none of this and condemned his race's future to retaliatory massacres, torture and intensified repression... all for the crime of daring to want to be free from cantus-wielders. Ultimately, it was tribal dis-unity among colonies and an ingrained and unearned sense of slave-identity in Kiroumaru is what made this rebellion fail. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=K91f0CdvOe8 Why did Kiroumaru help Saki? Because he wanted Saki to ensure that when the humans would exterminate the queerats in revenge... that atleast they shold spare the Queen of "his" colony. Motherfucking sellout traitor. Small-minded scum.

And this is where the series truly shines. I dont feel hatred of the cantus-wielders, but rather frustration and sadness. Because all of this could've been avoided with proper understanding. The cantus-wielders needed only to refrain from the psychopathy of the humans of the past and let the non-cantus-wielding humans go free. And even if they had to turn them into rats to allow them to defend themselves (a solution that in itself is cruel beyond measure and tantamount to pre-emptive mutilation and murder of an innocent on the threat that the innocent will retaliate)... then atleast the cantus-users could've had the decency to atleast remember the true identity of the human rats. To not force them to be slaves. To not commit atrocity against them. And if JUST that bare minimum of decency were done.... then things could become better. The series highlights that the lack of understanding was the common factor among its villains. The lack of understanding in the oppressive humans, the collaborationist human-rats who helped Saki (and were still mostly punished and repressed in the end, not rewarded), the human "courts" that tried squeelor...

The reasonable and most practical outcome was that the humans absolutely needed to get wiped out. The queerats were acting in self-defense.

There is very little, if anything, unjustified in what Squeelor did.

Squeelor was, unequivocally, the ONLY hero in this show. The small bit of emotional connection we have with Saki due to following her story does nothing to erase the fact that she was insignificant, and honestly, even if she chooses to try to reform the humans, her efforts will be utterly fruitless and short-lived and undone by the emergence of a single human who wants revenge on human-rats.

I invite anyone to watch episode 25 and listen to his own words and come away with anything less than respect for the sincerity of this visionary leader and admirable human being.
IAmSovereignMay 14, 2022 12:25 AM
May 10, 2022 10:22 AM
Jun 2021
I really can't tell if you're joking or not but incase you forgot what he did but he did take those 2 humans hostage. made them mate and after she gave birth he abducted their offspring and made her into a weapon. he also took advantage of the main cast while they were young and legitimately trying to help them and wipes out all the queerrats that dont follow his ideals. while what he was fighting for was a noble and just cause, he went about it in the wrong way. humans were definitely the villains in the story, but that doesn't mean squealer was the hero. this story as a whole doesn't have a good side, it just has 2 sides in the wrong, both sides want the other side gone. honestly he deserved what he got with all the shit he pulled and the underhanded tactics he used. and I for one was glad he suffered eternal hell for what he did, I think he was lucky to be put out of his misery cause I know I felt so much hatred towards him. were the humans heros? no. but that doesn't make a violent tyrant the hero either
May 10, 2022 11:26 AM
Mar 2021
I read one sentence “squealor didn’t do anything wrong.” and stopped there.
May 10, 2022 11:37 AM
Jun 2021
titodacat said:
I really can't tell if you're joking or not but incase you forgot what he did but he did take those 2 humans hostage. made them mate and after she gave birth he abducted their offspring and made her into a weapon. he also took advantage of the main cast while they were young and legitimately trying to help them and wipes out all the queerrats that dont follow his ideals. while what he was fighting for was a noble and just cause, he went about it in the wrong way. humans were definitely the villains in the story, but that doesn't mean squealer was the hero. this story as a whole doesn't have a good side, it just has 2 sides in the wrong, both sides want the other side gone. honestly he deserved what he got with all the shit he pulled and the underhanded tactics he used. and I for one was glad he suffered eternal hell for what he did, I think he was lucky to be put out of his misery cause I know I felt so much hatred towards him. were the humans heros? no. but that doesn't make a violent tyrant the hero either
couldn't say it better 👌🏻
May 10, 2022 11:47 AM

Mar 2021
Squealor did some fucked up shit. He is a bad guy. there's no changing that. however, so are the humans. the whole point is that there is no good vs evil in this story cuz both sides have done horrible things. kinda like real life. you can empathize with squealor and his race, but that doesn't change what he did. the MC kinda represents this middle ground who has seen both sides, having seen the good and bad of both. by the end, the MC is trying to change society for the better. I think that one of the messages of the show is that there is no good and bad, and that we are all in some moral gray area. however, working together we can make the world a better place.
May 10, 2022 6:00 PM
Dec 2018
OP, though you have a detailed response, you definitely omitted some of the inherently evil and good acts on both sides which would complete the bigger picture as the others have said. There is no good or bad; those with might aren't always right but neither are those joined in an insurgency rooted in unethical grounds. Just like the law, what is legal isn't always ethical because humans and all thinking, living beings are complex; we all have our own opinions and perspectives that segregate us and form our own biases and our ego welcomes superiority complexes and other intangible traits such as an inherent will to dominate above all.

tl;dr OP you missed the bigger picture; there is no right or wrong. Everything that happens is to gain an understanding of the drivers behind both factions and in turn garner empathy even pity on both sides.
May 11, 2022 4:25 PM
Jun 2021
titodacat said:

I mean the idea of being a hero or a villain is pretty subjective, and that's what makes the whole anime community interesting, so it's controversial and not right to put down others' opinion. However, in his POV, squealer is a hero. This is not exactly wrong, he is a human without any sort of powers and just want to help his own race to stand up. Yet, the way he does things may not be the best,it's a lose-win situation. This situation is kinda like Thanos's way of thinking, he is not wrong in wanting to help people, but is not exactly right too.
May 11, 2022 4:32 PM
Jun 2021
6gamer942 said:
titodacat said:

I mean the idea of being a hero or a villain is pretty subjective, and that's what makes the whole anime community interesting, so it's controversial and not right to put down others' opinion. However, in his POV, squealer is a hero. This is not exactly wrong, he is a human without any sort of powers and just want to help his own race to stand up. Yet, the way he does things may not be the best,it's a lose-win situation. This situation is kinda like Thanos's way of thinking, he is not wrong in wanting to help people, but is not exactly right too.
No it's definitely wrong, it isnt like Thanos, cause Thanos didn't have hatred fuel his evil acts he was doing all of his actions for the greater good. Squealor is the exact opposite since his whole motivation comes from his hatred. Thanos wanted life to be better for everyone, squealor wants humans to be exterminated. While you're right villain/hero is a perspective thing, this anime inherently doesn't have a hero or villain, both sides are evil.
titodacatMay 11, 2022 4:38 PM
May 12, 2022 12:19 AM

Aug 2017
I have always been baffled by both the "both sides bad" and/or Squeelor being singled out as some bad actor. If we understand, say, history in a broad sense, fighting your oppressor does often entail what some of you may call "evil". With how this series in particular goes about depicting the power relations, as far as we can tell, there isn't some "better" option of Squeelor to use in order to emancipate this oppressed race. I found it difficult to side with anyone but Squeelor from my viewing of this show. Further, if we understand good and evil to be perceived or experienced as subjective realities—in part motivated by our will to power—the humans are acting only in their interest by through their oppression and squandering of a race's will to power. The only manner in which Squeelor and his people can externalize their will to power and life is to somehow balance a power relationship or do away with humans entirely.

I think people underestimate power relations in any sort of societal reconciliation. Pacificism and "civil" approaches to change are useful only to an established higher power. Notions of "social contracts" are predicated on the idea that violence is a more assured way of ushering changes where there are power imbalances and power concentrated within a minority. Unfortunately as well, societies operate on threats of violence and it is no surprise as to why some of the focal human kids get in trouble within their own societies.

As for Squeelor acting out of hatred and this, somehow, concludes that he is in the wrong, I don't understand. Why does Squeelor want the humans exterminated? Because the humans exterminate his kind without deference? Squeelor is not given many or any reason to believe there can be any reconciliation. If we understand that the denial to one's will to power or life is itself harmful and, perhaps, bad, then Squeelor operating on the behalf of a people to actualize and allow themselves to pursue their own goals is done with a higher good in mind—I think it's telling how Squeelor has a scene where he explains their transition from a sort of feudalism to democracy. From this framework, allowing both the humans and Squeelor's people to actualize their wills to power would be better but, again, the show does not suggest any sort of reconciliation being possible where a "decent" peace/truce is possible.

I'll finish with a quote from the Genealogy of Morals, "the beginning of the slaves’ revolt in morality occurs when ressentiment itself turns creative and gives birth to values..."
May 13, 2022 1:23 PM

Jan 2013
And I'm over here thinking that on September it's going to be the 10th anniversary when this Anime first aired. How time flies...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 13, 2022 10:51 PM
Mar 2013
titodacat said:
I really can't tell if you're joking or not but incase you forgot what he did but he did take those 2 humans hostage. made them mate and after she gave birth he abducted their offspring and made her into a weapon.

Are we ignoring that humans routinely commit genocide and literally wipe out queerat colonies if they fall short in even the slightest most trivial way to fulfill their purpose of being good slaves? Satoru himself said that Squeelor could earn himself the death penalty for even SUGGESTING the idea that human-rats are intelligent beings and no less worthy of dignity than humans.

The cantus-wielders kill human-rat kids every year. The cantus-wielders enslave human-rat kids every day of their lives until their deaths.

Taking 1 human couple in order to harness the Cantus-wielders to turn it against them is justified on balance. It is self-defense. It is like a slave stealing a whip or a gun from his slave-owner.

The vast majority of cantus-wielders were the violent tyrants in this story. Squeelor was the revolutionary and the hope for a change. And even across his lifetime, he did not slaughter as many humans as the cantus-wielders slaughtered human-rats PER YEAR.

Those slavers deserved every under-handed tactic that squeelor used.

Squealor's words durign his trial in episode 25, when we see how resigned he was to death for the regret he felt for failing to change history. We hear how sincere he was in the reasonable words he spoke. He made hard choices but it was all for the sake of the freedom, of reclaiming the way of life stolen from humans of 21st century humanity (btw, who WERE the human-rats. Me and you, unsuperpowered humans, in this show's timeline, would be the ancestors of the humanrats).

He was willing to apologize for all the cantus-wielders he was forced to kill if only the humans would apologize for all the countless human-rats that cantus-wielders crushed like worms underneath their feet?
IAmSovereignMay 13, 2022 11:47 PM
May 13, 2022 11:04 PM
Mar 2013
Discordja said:
If we understand, say, history in a broad sense, fighting your oppressor does often entail what some of you may call "evil". With how this series in particular goes about depicting the power relations, as far as we can tell, there isn't some "better" option of Squeelor to use in order to emancipate this oppressed race. I found it difficult to side with anyone but Squeelor from my viewing of this show. Further, if we understand good and evil to be perceived or experienced as subjective realities—in part motivated by our will to power—the humans are acting only in their interest by through their oppression and squandering of a race's will to power. The only manner in which Squeelor and his people can externalize their will to power and life is to somehow balance a power relationship or do away with humans entirely.

Thank you. You put it so well. There was no other option available to the human-rats.

Who had already served 1000 years of slavery to cantus-wielders, to then lose their very humanity by being turned into rats **(ALL SO THAT THE HUMANS COULD KEEP MURDERING THEM. THERE WAS NO OTHER REASON FOR THEM TO BE TURNED INTO RATS EXCEPT TO ALLOW CANTUS-WIELDERS TO CONTINUE MAIMING THEM)**, and were being systematically abused, repressed and enslaved every single day well into saki's generation.

The game theory is... that the power of cantus allows even a single surviving human to massacre any amount of human-rats. Thus, there can't be any peace unless ALL humans agree to not be psychopaths. But the cantus-wielders themselves have such a hard time preventing the emergence of non-pacifist humans that they kill a large percentage of their children in youth to protect themselves. How could squeelor have spared any humans when even the MOST PACIFIST humans would still murder human-rats without any hesitation?

Discordja said:
I think people underestimate power relations in any sort of societal reconciliation. Pacificism and "civil" approaches to change are useful only to an established higher power. Notions of "social contracts" are predicated on the idea that violence is a more assured way of ushering changes where there are power imbalances and power concentrated within a minority. Unfortunately as well, societies operate on threats of violence and it is no surprise as to why some of the focal human kids get in trouble within their own societies.

As for Squeelor acting out of hatred and this, somehow, concludes that he is in the wrong, I don't understand. Why does Squeelor want the humans exterminated? Because the humans exterminate his kind without deference? Squeelor is not given many or any reason to believe there can be any reconciliation. If we understand that the denial to one's will to power or life is itself harmful and, perhaps, bad, then Squeelor operating on the behalf of a people to actualize and allow themselves to pursue their own goals is done with a higher good in mind—I think it's telling how Squeelor has a scene where he explains their transition from a sort of feudalism to democracy. From this framework, allowing both the humans and Squeelor's people to actualize their wills to power would be better but, again, the show does not suggest any sort of reconciliation being possible where a "decent" peace/truce is possible.

I'll finish with a quote from the Genealogy of Morals, "the beginning of the slaves’ revolt in morality occurs when ressentiment itself turns creative and gives birth to values..."

Again, you put it so well. Has the broader human society given ANY reason to believe they consider human-rats to be worthy of rights? We know from the series that human-rats who even suggested being allowed to use basic technologies to better their lives were viewed with suspicion. Human rats who asked for rights were outright killed. What dialogue was possible between such a master and his slave who wanted to be free?

Squeelor absolutely had no choice but to find some way to turn cantus against the humans and to carry out an extermination as fast as possible, for any surviving humans would be an existential threat to the slaves. "If you aim for the king, you best not miss."

Squeelor said it himself in episode 25: "ONCE HOSTILITIES COMMENCED, WE HAD TO DO EVERYTHING THAT WE COULD TO WIN."
IAmSovereignMay 13, 2022 11:39 PM
May 13, 2022 11:53 PM
Mar 2013
fyrflys said:
Squealor did some fucked up shit. He is a bad guy. there's no changing that. however, so are the humans. the whole point is that there is no good vs evil in this story cuz both sides have done horrible things. kinda like real life. you can empathize with squealor and his race, but that doesn't change what he did. the MC kinda represents this middle ground who has seen both sides, having seen the good and bad of both. by the end, the MC is trying to change society for the better. I think that one of the messages of the show is that there is no good and bad, and that we are all in some moral gray area. however, working together we can make the world a better place.

To the ^above person And

JT168 said:
OP, though you have a detailed response, you definitely omitted some of the inherently evil and good acts on both sides which would complete the bigger picture as the others have said. There is no good or bad; those with might aren't always right but neither are those joined in an insurgency rooted in unethical grounds. Just like the law, what is legal isn't always ethical because humans and all thinking, living beings are complex; we all have our own opinions and perspectives that segregate us and form our own biases and our ego welcomes superiority complexes and other intangible traits such as an inherent will to dominate above all.

tl;dr OP you missed the bigger picture; there is no right or wrong. Everything that happens is to gain an understanding of the drivers behind both factions and in turn garner empathy even pity on both sides.

What bigger picture? My entire argument is from the bigger picture. The facts of the options Squeelor had before him which was highly realistic instead of Saki's bullshit "make the world a better place" which would probably not work and result in human-rat extinction but "oh well, at least she tried." Note that Saki's better society started with brutal torture of Squeelor for speaking the truth and the mass extermination of human rats.

In contrast to Saki's "lets make the world a better place", Squeelor had a justified cause, genuine belief in reforms that imitated the ideals of 21st century democratic Japan and a realistic plan to reach freedom without any undue harshness on humans except stealing their main weapon for one single all-out war. This was the only option because this was the difficult nature of the cage that the cantus-wielders created and the human rats faced.

It is so frustrating how callous people can be who empathize with any party other than squeelor.

THERE IS NO "BOTH SIDES" HERE.

The humans were slavers, who massacred human-rats on a whim. Who had deformed humans into human-rats *for no reason other than to allow them to be killed even after they started using inhibitors*. The humans are utterly the aggressors whereas the human-rats are acting in self-defense.

There is no both sides. As my previous two comments show, and Squeelor himself says, "ONCE HOSTILITIES COMMENCED, WE HAD TO DO EVERYTHING THAT WE COULD TO WIN."

One can clearly see the

The war was justified on the basis of the one-sided crimes of the humans.
The extermination of humans was justified on the basis of the fact that any war with cantus-wielders risked annihilation of the human rats if any cantus-wielder survived.

The human-rats were highly intelligent, sentient beings whose individuals possessed emotions and capacity for pain. Yet they were treated worse than animals, whose entire populations were at the mercy of cantus-wielder whims. They were dehumanized and kept in the worst of conditions for a thousand years. And even after all that, the humans had no remorse. They did not empathized with the complaints of the human rats.

The rebellion was justified. THERE IS NO FUCKING BOTH SIDES IN MANY REAL-WORLD SITUATIONS. Sometimes the nuance suggests that in fact, some people are wrong and need to be stopped. And only pussies refuse to take a stance against them. Or excuse them.

Nazi Germany needed to be stopped. So did Stalin. So did slave-owners. And in this case as well, like in those, there are no fucking "both sides". One is objectively worse. The cantus-wielder side has no redeeming case to make. They are the victors and that is the only reason that they get to write the story as heroes. But otherwise, they are the godforsaken side of slavers, mutilators, torturers, and mass murdering genocidists by any measure.
IAmSovereignMay 14, 2022 12:35 AM
May 14, 2022 1:16 AM
Dec 2018
IAmSovereign said:
fyrflys said:

To the ^above person And

JT168 said:

What bigger picture? My entire argument is from the bigger picture. The facts of the options Squeelor had before him which was highly realistic instead of Saki's bullshit "make the world a better place" which would probably not work and result in human-rat extinction but "oh well, at least she tried." Note that Saki's better society started with brutal torture of Squeelor for speaking the truth and the mass extermination of human rats.

In contrast to Saki's "lets make the world a better place", Squeelor had a justified cause, genuine belief in reforms that imitated the ideals of 21st century democratic Japan and a realistic plan to reach freedom without any undue harshness on humans except stealing their main weapon for one single all-out war. This was the only option because this was the difficult nature of the cage that the cantus-wielders created and the human rats faced.

It is so frustrating how callous people can be who empathize with any party other than squeelor.

The humans were slavers, who massacred human-rats on a whim. Who had deformed humans into human-rats *for no reason other than to allow them to be killed even after they started using inhibitors*. The humans are utterly the aggressors whereas the human-rats are acting in self-defense.

There is no both sides. As my previous two comments show, and Squeelor himself says, "ONCE HOSTILITIES COMMENCED, WE HAD TO DO EVERYTHING THAT WE COULD TO WIN."

One can clearly see the

The extermination of humans was justified on the basis of the fact that any war with cantus-wielders risked annihilation of the human rats if any cantus-wielder survived.

The human-rats were highly intelligent, sentient beings whose individuals possessed emotions and capacity for pain. Yet they were treated worse than animals, whose entire populations were at the mercy of cantus-wielder whims. They were dehumanized and kept in the worst of conditions for a thousand years. And even after all that, the humans had no remorse. They did not empathized with the complaints of the human rats.

The rebellion was justified. THERE IS NO FUCKING BOTH SIDES IN MANY REAL-WORLD SITUATIONS. Sometimes the nuance suggests that in fact, some people are wrong and need to be stopped. And only pussies refuse to take a stance against them. Or excuse them.

Nazi Germany needed to be stopped. So did Stalin. So did slave-owners. And in this case as well, like in those, there are no fucking "both sides". One is objectively worse. The cantus-wielder side has no redeeming case to make. They are the victors and that is the only reason that they get to write the story as heroes. But otherwise, they are the godforsaken side of slavers, mutilators, torturers, and mass murdering genocidists by any measure.

I'm not going to pretend I read everything you said but if you can't seem to understand the difference between self-defence and unnecessary cruelty and unjustified means of victory even in a war that is powered by a deep-seeded hatred then I have nothing else to say to you. You clearly didn't write this post with an open-mind as you seem to hold your own views quite strongly. I don't see an issue empathising with Squealor but saying that he did nothing wrong and is completely justified, demonstrates to me your clear bias.

We clearly have different views which is fine since this show is meant to create different views but as others (and myself) have tried to explain, there is no clear good or bad; neither sides were justified in their actions even if you can empathise with them, they each committed sins out of fear and hatred. What you clearly don't understand is that Squealor didn't want peace, he wanted domination/genocide because he felt justified to do so given their history of being mistreatment and slavery. If you can't see that as inherently wrong/evil then let's stop here. Remember, anger begets more anger. The children in the story were put through many trials but in the end understood the rats acted like monsters because they were created by monsters (previous humans). Anger begets more anger.
May 14, 2022 4:01 AM
Jun 2021
IAmSovereign said:
titodacat said:
I really can't tell if you're joking or not but incase you forgot what he did but he did take those 2 humans hostage. made them mate and after she gave birth he abducted their offspring and made her into a weapon.

Are we ignoring that humans routinely commit genocide and literally wipe out queerat colonies if they fall short in even the slightest most trivial way to fulfill their purpose of being good slaves? Satoru himself said that Squeelor could earn himself the death penalty for even SUGGESTING the idea that human-rats are intelligent beings and no less worthy of dignity than humans.

The cantus-wielders kill human-rat kids every year. The cantus-wielders enslave human-rat kids every day of their lives until their deaths.

Taking 1 human couple in order to harness the Cantus-wielders to turn it against them is justified on balance. It is self-defense. It is like a slave stealing a whip or a gun from his slave-owner.

The vast majority of cantus-wielders were the violent tyrants in this story. Squeelor was the revolutionary and the hope for a change. And even across his lifetime, he did not slaughter as many humans as the cantus-wielders slaughtered human-rats PER YEAR.

Those slavers deserved every under-handed tactic that squeelor used.

He was willing to apologize for all the cantus-wielders he was forced to kill if only the humans would apologize for all the countless human-rats that cantus-wielders crushed like worms underneath their feet?
I mean you ignored when I was sorta defending him and saying humans were bad. I dont think you understand, squealer isn't like Thanos or some other sympathetic villain. Squealer is much more like Hitler, I dont know how you can be so blind as to say he wasn't acting out in any selfish capacity when he literally wipes out tribes that don't agree with him and throws a tantrum when it didn't go his way. The way you're describing it, you're saying it would be fine if all the native Americans revolted, killed all the white people and took their land back, because the white people bad 300 years ago. Or if slavery was brought back but only for americans so people can have their revenge. If they get caught and they are sincere about saying sorry they should be let off the hook? Do you understand how stupid you sound and how stupid that sounds? My guy you should not be allowed to make adult decisions if you legitimately think this way, you sound so stupid and insane saying all this. Yes the humans were awful, but so are the queerats, you are in support for genocide because the queerats got treated poorly for being not powered. It's not like his plan was teach them a lesson, his plan was to wipe out humanity, only reinforcing the idea that queerats having freedom is problematic.

I really hate how you're trying your darnedest to make this show have a good vs bad like story, it doesn't have that and it shouldn't have that. It has a bad vs bad story, humans did bad things, but so did the queerats. Just because they are discriminated against does NOT give them the pass to commit genocide and multiple war crimes, that is the wrong way about this. The queerats are evil just like the humans, thats the end of the story, you missed the bigger picture of the anime and the story.

The fact you legitimately think all of this and that squealer legit did nothing wrong is honestly so far beyond insane and I feel bad for people who have to deal with you irl. Squealer is not sympathetic, the queerats are, but when squealer leads them into becoming a discount Japanese Axis power like army they immediately lose all sympathy. Please for the real people in your life and your future, learn that revenge isn't sympathetic
titodacatMay 14, 2022 4:08 AM
May 14, 2022 6:30 AM

Mar 2021
IAmSovereign said:
fyrflys said:

To the ^above person And

JT168 said:

One can clearly see the

Since most of what I would of said as already been said by other people, I'm just gonna add some stuff.

Yes Hitler, Stalin, and slavery needed to be stopped. But does that mean the entire German population, innocents and all, needed to die? All the innocent Soviets trapped under Stalin's rule? All the white Americans, good or bad? Imagine if during the Civil rights movement, instead of peaceful protest, the African Americans just attempted to whipe out the whites. That is Cleary wrong, making them just as bad as the slave owners.

What squealor is doing is much more similar to the big bads you listed in your argument for him. His treatment of his own people and his cruelty toward his enemies makes him much more like Hitler or stalin. Obviously the peaceful protest path wasn't available to him either. But that being said, he took a path just as bad as the humans.

Back to the part about innocent people, the biggest part I want to stress is that both sides have good and bad people. Some of the humans did horrible things, but there are plenty of innocent humans as well. Same can be said for the human rats. If you really want to make this into a good bad story, which it is not, the baddies are the leading people of each group who are causing such horrible treatment.

My point is is that neither the humans nor the human rats are justified in what they're doing. Both are committing cruel acts against innocent people. There is no good v bad cuz both are bad. If this pisses you off, then good, cuz that's the point. You aren't supposed to like the way it works. That's just the way it is, and a lot of real wars are like that.

The MC was trying to make change. She made some mistakes, and was forced to make some tough decisions that didn't really have a good outcome, but she wanted to create a better world for both races. This because she knew that there are both good and bad humans, good and bad human rats. Wether you think she did a good job is up to you, but she still took a path that, IMO, leads to a better, more peaceful future.

I empathize with the human rats. What the humans did to them was fucked up. But I can't side with squealor, and what he did to both innocent humans, as well as his own people. If you can look past all the horrible things squealor did, while criticizing the humans, than I don't really know what to say to you, accept your missing the point of the show.
May 14, 2022 9:28 AM

Aug 2017
fyrflys said:
Since most of what I would of said as already been said by other people, I'm just gonna add some stuff.

Yes Hitler, Stalin, and slavery needed to be stopped. But does that mean the entire German population, innocents and all, needed to die? All the innocent Soviets trapped under Stalin's rule? All the white Americans, good or bad? Imagine if during the Civil rights movement, instead of peaceful protest, the African Americans just attempted to whipe out the whites. That is Cleary wrong, making them just as bad as the slave owners.

What squealor is doing is much more similar to the big bads you listed in your argument for him. His treatment of his own people and his cruelty toward his enemies makes him much more like Hitler or stalin. Obviously the peaceful protest path wasn't available to him either. But that being said, he took a path just as bad as the humans.

Back to the part about innocent people, the biggest part I want to stress is that both sides have good and bad people. Some of the humans did horrible things, but there are plenty of innocent humans as well. Same can be said for the human rats. If you really want to make this into a good bad story, which it is not, the baddies are the leading people of each group who are causing such horrible treatment.

My point is is that neither the humans nor the human rats are justified in what they're doing. Both are committing cruel acts against innocent people. There is no good v bad cuz both are bad. If this pisses you off, then good, cuz that's the point. You aren't supposed to like the way it works. That's just the way it is, and a lot of real wars are like that.

The MC was trying to make change. She made some mistakes, and was forced to make some tough decisions that didn't really have a good outcome, but she wanted to create a better world for both races. This because she knew that there are both good and bad humans, good and bad human rats. Wether you think she did a good job is up to you, but she still took a path that, IMO, leads to a better, more peaceful future.

I empathize with the human rats. What the humans did to them was fucked up. But I can't side with squealor, and what he did to both innocent humans, as well as his own people. If you can look past all the horrible things squealor did, while criticizing the humans, than I don't really know what to say to you, accept your missing the point of the show.

Here is where a lot of the real-life comparisons and the show's become difficult. It's been a while since I've watched Shinsekai Yori but with how cantus-wielders, karma demons, and, I guess, magic work for the non-rat humans individually have more power than the rat-humans, any one survivor poses a threat to an entire species when the same equivalency does not quite exist in real life. And again, the power structures, relations, history, and options are different both in these real-life examples and the show's. Say, the Germans and French or any European people have had interconnected lives where the average Frenchman and German is no greater than the other. In Shinsekai Yori, we aren't given any suggestions that the two species coexist in any way apart from this master-slave relationship.

However, I find it very odd how you can say that some amount of violence toward a class of people that perpetuates oppression is as bad the one not wanting to be oppressed. Somehow, the amount of lives irrevocably lost and damaged from the onset of chattel slavery is as bad as bringing it to an end? By what means do you measure good and bad? I'm assuming you disagree with all slave rebellions historically speaking. And you mention the Civil Rights movement as having peaceful protests but there were many non-peaceful protests. It's only after MLK's assassination and the violence protests that ensued did legislation occur and even then, the legislation that passes is a watered down demand from the many organizations that insisted on certain rights being passed. If you study history of social change a lot closer, you may realize how potential threats of violence (economic or physical) are what govern a lot of legislation. This also brings up my mention of power imbalances. There was no feasible way in which slaves (or First Nations) would and could wipe out the colonizers. Similarly, wiping out the German population is also as far-fetched. First Nations people in the US, due to how they did not fare well in the presence and oppression of the colonizers, in terms of projected demographic statistics, are likely to go extinct in a century or so while also still frequently being harassed and discriminated against in the present day due to their lack of power—most notably the lack of capital. The last episode of the series explicitly mention how "those with power ruled over that did not", to be brief, I'd just point to Nietzsche's understanding of master and slave morality and power systems. Morality is often predicated on who has power and where.

Ignoring the attempted and failed parallels, I think it's better that Squealor is shown being cruel to his own people. Someone in such a position of power is, more often than not, just like so. The conditions in which Squealor or heads of nations/armies often find themselves in are conducive to such behavior. To suggest the absence of cruelty and the presence of extraordinary power can simultaneously exist is, I think, absolute idealism. When you say he takes a path just as bad as the humans, I suppose you're right in a sense. Both factions here are human-like and so there is no other option. Potentially, the rat-humans can just submit and be exterminated but that is anti-human-like and thus not an option posited. But to suggest the equivalency is "badness", again, would somehow require some sort of way you can quantify morality and, in real life, no one has really succeeded in being able to do so. Rousseau, notably, ends a paragraph with, "[Moral] Calculators, it is left for you to count, to measure, to compare." Suggestive of a sort of moral relativism in which there is no one answer but a multiplicity.

Regarding the innocent people, yes, both sides have what we may call on an individual-level, good and bad qualities. This way of portraying a narrative is more grounded in reality and it's not anything new. Plato and people earlier write how people can be virtuous in any number of aspects but still be bad or deficient in some sense. To suggest any faction of people are absolutely and irrevocably evil would be suggestive of dehumanization and ignorance when realities are a lot more complex than any sort of absolute good vs evil narrative. Going back to the last episode of the show, there is a bit of a, maybe, subtle implication that, I think, Saki and Shun would have come to a different conclusion about the rat-humans after learning about how the history and how they were the same species at one point. I'd be tempted to parallel Plato's cave and how knowledge plays a role in moral sentiment. Saki and Shun, upon questioning Squealor in prison, simply does not understand Squealor's point of view and it was a bit frustrating how dense Saki and Shun appeared to be. These two characters, I think, represent the point of view of those lacking knowledge. If you somehow don't understand Squealor's point of view and how his answers are right in the first half of the last episode, you must have not been paying attention.

"Why did you rebel against humanity?" "Because we are not slaves." "What do you mean? We have allowed self-governance!" "When our masters were in a good mood, yes. But if we upset you for any reason, no matter how minor, you would wipe out our entire colony." Saki then goes to mention how, like, legally, wiping out colonies is called for only in severe crimes, but in both the show and real-life, legalities can and often are applied selectively and in favor of those with real power. Squealor and this rebellion is a result of this power imbalance perpetuated by the humans, not the other way around, so to suggest self-defense and self-preservation is evil, you have to side with neither and be anti-life in general which is a real and valid take but I am not sure if you are some pacifist anti-natalist, I think you would have been more clear on why both sides are bad if you were so.

Saki, prior to some semblance of understanding and prior to Squealor's punishment, did try to make things better but it seems quite clear she did not understand enough of about the entire situation and she seemingly lacked the power to single-handedly change everything wrong. At the very end of the last episode, we can maybe say at this point both Saki and Shun know better and potentially create a more peaceful future but we do not have a lot of info to say with certainty.

The show, in some scenarios, call into question whether anyone is really innocent, so the death of humans in an ongoing conflict, to me, is not a cornerstone of this large-scale drama or war. I do not think we look past the horrible things Squealor does and we may not agree with the acts but we can certainly understand the rationale (or lack thereof). People who are not deluded with imaginary power, I think, are more likely to side with what appears to be the oppressed in the face of an oppressor. That would be a rather common narrative whether we look at Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, religion, political narratives, or what have you. I cannot separate my personal relationship with, say, colonialism and the themes depicted in Shinsekai Yori, I'm much closer to the rat-human in recent real life human history than I am to the colonizer at the top of their respective hierarchy.
May 14, 2022 12:00 PM

Mar 2021
Discordja said:
fyrflys said:

Here is where a lot of the real-life comparisons and the show's become difficult. It's been a while since I've watched Shinsekai Yori but with how cantus-wielders, karma demons, and, I guess, magic work for the non-rat humans individually have more power than the rat-humans, any one survivor poses a threat to an entire species when the same equivalency does not quite exist in real life. And again, the power structures, relations, history, and options are different both in these real-life examples and the show's. Say, the Germans and French or any European people have had interconnected lives where the average Frenchman and German is no greater than the other. In Shinsekai Yori, we aren't given any suggestions that the two species coexist in any way apart from this master-slave relationship.

However, I find it very odd how you can say that some amount of violence toward a class of people that perpetuates oppression is as bad the one not wanting to be oppressed. Somehow, the amount of lives irrevocably lost and damaged from the onset of chattel slavery is as bad as bringing it to an end? By what means do you measure good and bad? I'm assuming you disagree with all slave rebellions historically speaking. And you mention the Civil Rights movement as having peaceful protests but there were many non-peaceful protests. It's only after MLK's assassination and the violence protests that ensued did legislation occur and even then, the legislation that passes is a watered down demand from the many organizations that insisted on certain rights being passed. If you study history of social change a lot closer, you may realize how potential threats of violence (economic or physical) are what govern a lot of legislation. This also brings up my mention of power imbalances. There was no feasible way in which slaves (or First Nations) would and could wipe out the colonizers. Similarly, wiping out the German population is also as far-fetched. First Nations people in the US, due to how they did not fare well in the presence and oppression of the colonizers, in terms of projected demographic statistics, are likely to go extinct in a century or so while also still frequently being harassed and discriminated against in the present day due to their lack of power—most notably the lack of capital. The last episode of the series explicitly mention how "those with power ruled over that did not", to be brief, I'd just point to Nietzsche's understanding of master and slave morality and power systems. Morality is often predicated on who has power and where.

Ignoring the attempted and failed parallels, I think it's better that Squealor is shown being cruel to his own people. Someone in such a position of power is, more often than not, just like so. The conditions in which Squealor or heads of nations/armies often find themselves in are conducive to such behavior. To suggest the absence of cruelty and the presence of extraordinary power can simultaneously exist is, I think, absolute idealism. When you say he takes a path just as bad as the humans, I suppose you're right in a sense. Both factions here are human-like and so there is no other option. Potentially, the rat-humans can just submit and be exterminated but that is anti-human-like and thus not an option posited. But to suggest the equivalency is "badness", again, would somehow require some sort of way you can quantify morality and, in real life, no one has really succeeded in being able to do so. Rousseau, notably, ends a paragraph with, "[Moral] Calculators, it is left for you to count, to measure, to compare." Suggestive of a sort of moral relativism in which there is no one answer but a multiplicity.

Regarding the innocent people, yes, both sides have what we may call on an individual-level, good and bad qualities. This way of portraying a narrative is more grounded in reality and it's not anything new. Plato and people earlier write how people can be virtuous in any number of aspects but still be bad or deficient in some sense. To suggest any faction of people are absolutely and irrevocably evil would be suggestive of dehumanization and ignorance when realities are a lot more complex than any sort of absolute good vs evil narrative. Going back to the last episode of the show, there is a bit of a, maybe, subtle implication that, I think, Saki and Shun would have come to a different conclusion about the rat-humans after learning about how the history and how they were the same species at one point. I'd be tempted to parallel Plato's cave and how knowledge plays a role in moral sentiment. Saki and Shun, upon questioning Squealor in prison, simply does not understand Squealor's point of view and it was a bit frustrating how dense Saki and Shun appeared to be. These two characters, I think, represent the point of view of those lacking knowledge. If you somehow don't understand Squealor's point of view and how his answers are right in the first half of the last episode, you must have not been paying attention.

"Why did you rebel against humanity?" "Because we are not slaves." "What do you mean? We have allowed self-governance!" "When our masters were in a good mood, yes. But if we upset you for any reason, no matter how minor, you would wipe out our entire colony." Saki then goes to mention how, like, legally, wiping out colonies is called for only in severe crimes, but in both the show and real-life, legalities can and often are applied selectively and in favor of those with real power. Squealor and this rebellion is a result of this power imbalance perpetuated by the humans, not the other way around, so to suggest self-defense and self-preservation is evil, you have to side with neither and be anti-life in general which is a real and valid take but I am not sure if you are some pacifist anti-natalist, I think you would have been more clear on why both sides are bad if you were so.

Saki, prior to some semblance of understanding and prior to Squealor's punishment, did try to make things better but it seems quite clear she did not understand enough of about the entire situation and she seemingly lacked the power to single-handedly change everything wrong. At the very end of the last episode, we can maybe say at this point both Saki and Shun know better and potentially create a more peaceful future but we do not have a lot of info to say with certainty.

The show, in some scenarios, call into question whether anyone is really innocent, so the death of humans in an ongoing conflict, to me, is not a cornerstone of this large-scale drama or war. I do not think we look past the horrible things Squealor does and we may not agree with the acts but we can certainly understand the rationale (or lack thereof). People who are not deluded with imaginary power, I think, are more likely to side with what appears to be the oppressed in the face of an oppressor. That would be a rather common narrative whether we look at Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, religion, political narratives, or what have you. I cannot separate my personal relationship with, say, colonialism and the themes depicted in Shinsekai Yori, I'm much closer to the rat-human in recent real life human history than I am to the colonizer at the top of their respective hierarchy.

I'm going to start by saying that I don't have as much knowledge on a lot of the things you talked about. I also agree with some of the things you said. This is just a response defending my original argument that Squealor can't be given a free pass for the horrible things he has done.

The main reason I made historical references was because OP made those exact same references in favor of his argument. I simply wanted to show why his reasoning was flawed. Obviously the scenarios I described are unrealistic, but I was making a point about the morality of what Squealor was doing.

As for the Civil Rights Movement, I know that everything wasn't peaceful, and there was a lot I didn't touch on. I'm not claiming that slave revolts are unjustified. I am not saying that violent protests against civil rights is unjustified. However, that doesn't just make it perfectly just to murder other people. Obviously this is a debatable topic, one in which your points on morality come into play. However, that violence, justified or not, is the same violence being committed by the oppressors, and as such you are lowering yourself to the same level as the oppressors. Whether this is acceptable for the cause is debatable.

As for Squealors treatment of his own people, you essentially agreed to my point that what he did was wrong. Whether it was realistic or not does not change the fact that what he did is wrong. Would you not criticize a real leader for such actions? And while finding a perfectly just leader may be unrealistic, it does not mean we should not criticize those who do wrong. Keep in mind the humans harmed each other as well. Both did wrong.

As for innocent people, I never was trying to say that some are completely good and some are completely bad. In fact, I like the moral gray areas of this show. However, does the entire human race deserve to die for the actions of a select portion of them? The same can be said for the rat humans. Not only did they not deserve the treatment they received in the first place, but punishing them for squealors actions, if they did not take part, is also unfair. Obviously it is unrealistic to save all innocent lives. However, my argument is that Squealor can't be justified for taking innocent lives non the less.

I understand Squealor's perspective. I do not question his reasoning. I do, however, disagree with his methods. Even knowing the past of the rat humans, I don't believe Squalors cruelty is forgivable.

Concerning your last three paragraphs. I agree with most of your points. Squealor had a reason to rebel. His species was being threatened. However, he STILL committed horrible acts. That is why I believe he cannot be considered the "hero" in the story.

From the New World, IMO, is so good because of the moral grayness and the questions it creates. However, I wish to restate OPs original claim.

"There is very little, if anything, unjustified in what Squeelor did.

Squeelor was, unequivocally, the ONLY hero in this show. The small bit of emotional connection we have with Saki due to following her story does nothing to erase the fact that she was insignificant, and honestly, even if she chooses to try to reform the humans, her efforts will be utterly fruitless and short-lived and undone by the emergence of a single human who wants revenge on human-rats.

I invite anyone to watch episode 25 and listen to his own words and come away with anything less than respect for the sincerity of this visionary leader and admirable human being."

Squealor is not a hero. He may have a reason behind his actions, but those actions are still cruel. Claiming that he has the right to murder countless innocent people, among other horrible things, because of treatment toward him is simply wrong. He stooped to the same level as the humans, there is no denying that.

Squealor does not get a free pass. The human's did some fucked up shit, but so did he.
May 14, 2022 12:58 PM

Aug 2017
fyrflys said:

As for Squealors treatment of his own people, you essentially agreed to my point that what he did was wrong. Whether it was realistic or not does not change the fact that what he did is wrong. Would you not criticize a real leader for such actions? And while finding a perfectly just leader may be unrealistic, it does not mean we should not criticize those who do wrong. Keep in mind the humans harmed each other as well. Both did wrong.

As for innocent people, I never was trying to say that some are completely good and some are completely bad. In fact, I like the moral gray areas of this show. However, does the entire human race deserve to die for the actions of a select portion of them? The same can be said for the rat humans. Not only did they not deserve the treatment they received in the first place, but punishing them for squealors actions, if they did not take part, is also unfair. Obviously it is unrealistic to save all innocent lives. However, my argument is that Squealor can't be justified for taking innocent lives non the less.

I understand Squealor's perspective. I do not question his reasoning. I do, however, disagree with his methods. Even knowing the past of the rat humans, I don't believe Squalors cruelty is forgivable.

Concerning your last three paragraphs. I agree with most of your points. Squealor had a reason to rebel. His species was being threatened. However, he STILL committed horrible acts. That is why I believe he cannot be considered the "hero" in the story.

From the New World, IMO, is so good because of the moral grayness and the questions it creates. However, I wish to restate OPs original claim.

Oh okay, yeah, what the OP stated is, uh, a bit hyperbolic or exaggerated. I think the disagreement between you and I are slight differences in nuance. Sure, justified or not, violence is violence, but I am not sure if there is any "lowering" of one's self to the same level as the opponent. I think you can make this argument on an individual level where we can say all things are relatively equal and I could be wrong but Squealor's rebellion hinges on the event that you find very despicable: kidnapping, killing, and taking (I think) Maria's and Mamoru's child. From the story, we're led to believe it's a necessary evil. If something is truly a necessary evil, while we (and I do) still consider it evil, it's arguably an evil not worth a lot of condemnation because it's the human answer. It's also, I'd say, human to condemn someone who participates in a necessary evil because most people are not put in that same scenario. A parallel may be how people would never consider cannibalism but in the few recorded cases of people being stranded, people do resort to it and in one case I've read, after being rescued, those that partook in that cannibalism were ostracized in their home towns. If we assume the sanctity of the human body, living or dead but also acknowledge how we are often biologically driven to survive, we can say both actors are bad. But concepts of right and wrong can only really flourish and develop outside of a rather immediate life-or-death scenario, so if most of us had to pick a side, I'd think we'd pick the option of survival. In that moment, what is otherwise "wrong" becomes "right" even if temporarily. To that extent, I'd say there can be forgiveness extended to either side. Given how we operate within this imperfect world with imperfect bodies, frankly, everyone is deserving of forgiveness and grace. So, like, I do agree with you, for sure, and there is a lot of moral grayness with no "perfect" hero. Even further, I would say, in some sense, all the factions in the story are justified because they can only act in their own interest and understanding of the world, so everyone gets a "free pass" in my opinion, I guess, and our difference in opinion may come down to our worldviews. Perhaps, namely, how violence maintains social structures ("innocents" are always entangled) and that no one can really be innocent because moral systems are built by a faction's relationship with power. It is primarily during extreme social unrest does this seem the most apparent when it is rather subtle elsewise.

Much love to you, btw <3
May 14, 2022 3:17 PM

Mar 2021
Discordja said:
fyrflys said:

Oh okay, yeah, what the OP stated is, uh, a bit hyperbolic or exaggerated. I think the disagreement between you and I are slight differences in nuance. Sure, justified or not, violence is violence, but I am not sure if there is any "lowering" of one's self to the same level as the opponent. I think you can make this argument on an individual level where we can say all things are relatively equal and I could be wrong but Squealor's rebellion hinges on the event that you find very despicable: kidnapping, killing, and taking (I think) Maria's and Mamoru's child. From the story, we're led to believe it's a necessary evil. If something is truly a necessary evil, while we (and I do) still consider it evil, it's arguably an evil not worth a lot of condemnation because it's the human answer. It's also, I'd say, human to condemn someone who participates in a necessary evil because most people are not put in that same scenario. A parallel may be how people would never consider cannibalism but in the few recorded cases of people being stranded, people do resort to it and in one case I've read, after being rescued, those that partook in that cannibalism were ostracized in their home towns. If we assume the sanctity of the human body, living or dead but also acknowledge how we are often biologically driven to survive, we can say both actors are bad. But concepts of right and wrong can only really flourish and develop outside of a rather immediate life-or-death scenario, so if most of us had to pick a side, I'd think we'd pick the option of survival. In that moment, what is otherwise "wrong" becomes "right" even if temporarily. To that extent, I'd say there can be forgiveness extended to either side. Given how we operate within this imperfect world with imperfect bodies, frankly, everyone is deserving of forgiveness and grace. So, like, I do agree with you, for sure, and there is a lot of moral grayness with no "perfect" hero. Even further, I would say, in some sense, all the factions in the story are justified because they can only act in their own interest and understanding of the world, so everyone gets a "free pass" in my opinion, I guess, and our difference in opinion may come down to our worldviews. Perhaps, namely, how violence maintains social structures ("innocents" are always entangled) and that no one can really be innocent because moral systems are built by a faction's relationship with power. It is primarily during extreme social unrest does this seem the most apparent when it is rather subtle elsewise.

Much love to you, btw <3

I agree with you on this. One thing I really like about this show is how debatable the morality of the actions of the characters are, and I don't think there is one objective answer to this question. I personally, however, can still not agree with Squealor's actions. This is not because he started a rebellion. It is obvious nothing would change without some sort of rebellion or war, and lives will be lost. However, the extreme cruelty he displays to those around him for his own sense of justice is what I can't stand with. Whether some of these actions are necessary evils is something to be debated, but he displays a level of cruelty and tyranny that rivals that of the human establishment. While I side with the rat humans overall, for their treatment is unjustified, I don't support Squealor's rule in particular. Of course, this is just my view, and if one can accept Squealor's actions, in the name of the overall goal, than they have every right to argue in Squealor's defense, as long as they acknowledge what he is doing is still morally wrong. The OP did not seem to understand this, deciding that Squealor was some sort of hero or saint simply because his species is the victim.

As for forgiveness, while forgiveness, like most other things, is subjective, I feel that if one were to forgive Squealor, than they must subsequently forgive the human race as well. Not necessary the higher ups, who had no reason behind their suppression, but the general population, who, like the human rats, are trying to do their best in their current situation.

At the end of the day, this is just my opinion. If I had to choose a side, I honestly don't know who to choose. I think the MC's path, while still flawed, is the best path to take, opting to reform society. Of course, this is a very idealistic choice, and one that is in most cases not available. But since it is presented in the show, I will choose it, since I can't support the actions of the human higher ups or Squealor's reign. I know I have some idealistic views, which is mainly why I condemn many of Squealor's actions. But I believe that if we as people, in real life, don't condemn such actions, no matter the justification, the world will never become a better place.

<3
May 15, 2022 4:35 PM
Jul 2020
There was no fight for the right between civilizations. There was a fight for survival between two species. "Humans" were positioned at the top of the food chain, while queerats were a step below. By the laws of nature, the strongest species wins (hence what happens in the anime). We don't have a precedent of two intelligent(!) species competing in our world, but I think there are two possible scenarios for that case:
a) the more powerful specie will dominate the other to prevent losses on their side
b) the more powerful specie has a perfect morales and, despite being unequal, would respect other specie's sovereignty and use advantage to minify possible losses
History shows that scenario a) is generally more likely to happen due to us being imperfect.
Also, you most likely wouldn't fight an armed person bare handed. Because at that time he would be dominant and has a power you don't wield. Logic and instincts tell you that resistance is futile. And that's what I imagined should happen in Shinsekai yori, but that would be hard to make interesting to watch.
Instead, we're given this depressing moral mess of desperate creatures trying to cover up their flaws. And you can view it from to sides, basically: seing "humans" (both with and w/o cantus) as animals fighting for good life, in which case both were doing what they realistically should be, or as intelligent (as they both call themselvs in the anime) beings, in which case both did terrible, disgusting, awful crimes against basic concepts of humanism.
Personally, I'm rooting for the dominant race of cantus empowered people, because my mind tells me that evolution craves the most capable to be on top. And even if that wasn't my reason, the single thought of incubating a child of other race to use it as a tool in war makes me question my life.
May 20, 2022 7:11 PM
May 2022
Ain't squeeler supposed to be our descendant?
I'm sorry, but I watched this anime a long time ago and I don't remember it very well, though I recall the ending to be really good and harsh
Jun 2, 2022 8:40 AM

May 2021
Kunasempai said:
Ain't squeeler supposed to be our descendant?
I'm sorry, but I watched this anime a long time ago and I don't remember it very well, though I recall the ending to be really good and harsh

No, powerless people (in this case us since there is no people with power anyway in real life) is what monster rats is (Squealer's descendant) as powered people changed our genes.

Jun 7, 2022 3:13 AM
Mar 2013
fyrflys said:
Discordja said:

Much love to you, btw <3

I agree with you on this. One thing I really like about this show is how debatable the morality of the actions of the characters are, and I don't think there is one objective answer to this question. I personally, however, can still not agree with Squealor's actions. This is not because he started a rebellion. It is obvious nothing would change without some sort of rebellion or war, and lives will be lost. However, the extreme cruelty he displays to those around him for his own sense of justice is what I can't stand with. Whether some of these actions are necessary evils is something to be debated, but he displays a level of cruelty and tyranny that rivals that of the human establishment. While I side with the rat humans overall, for their treatment is unjustified, I don't support Squealor's rule in particular. Of course, this is just my view, and if one can accept Squealor's actions, in the name of the overall goal, than they have every right to argue in Squealor's defense, as long as they acknowledge what he is doing is still morally wrong. The OP did not seem to understand this, deciding that Squealor was some sort of hero or saint simply because his species is the victim.

As for forgiveness, while forgiveness, like most other things, is subjective, I feel that if one were to forgive Squealor, than they must subsequently forgive the human race as well. Not necessary the higher ups, who had no reason behind their suppression, but the general population, who, like the human rats, are trying to do their best in their current situation.

At the end of the day, this is just my opinion. If I had to choose a side, I honestly don't know who to choose. I think the MC's path, while still flawed, is the best path to take, opting to reform society. Of course, this is a very idealistic choice, and one that is in most cases not available. But since it is presented in the show, I will choose it, since I can't support the actions of the human higher ups or Squealor's reign. I know I have some idealistic views, which is mainly why I condemn many of Squealor's actions. But I believe that if we as people, in real life, don't condemn such actions, no matter the justification, the world will never become a better place.

<3

What I don't understand is how you cannot see the game theory in this show makes it impossible for Squealor to be compared to real-life slavers, genocidists. In real-life, you just had to dismantle a genocidal regime and take over the population and institute reforms and voila, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan could indeed be salvaged. Good people could indeed be spared, and even future generations could be redeemed (although even in those cases, the technology limitations made it neccessary to inflict great destruction on those countries before they could be stopped).

But in Shinsekai Yori, Squeelor was facing a completely different Game Theory. He had to somehow come up with a solution to an incredible power-imbalance in order for the human-rats to escape a thousand years of slavery.

Just think back to the first episode:

We know that a SINGLE cantus-wielding psychopath managed to commit massacres in Tokyo, Japan in the 21st century, and the whole city was helpless.
Later, we know that entire nations committed their militaries to battle with SINGLE cantus wielders AND LOST (we see in earlier episodes that 21st century countries employed aerial bombardment and even nuclear weaponry to fight. While we dont see the outcomes of these battles, we do know from the ruins that they lost. In fact, the last arc of the anime takes place in a city in ruins where such a military battle took place.)

We are told in the narration that the new order that emerged out of the devastation of the 21st century was rule by "emperors", SINGLE cantus-wielding INDIVIDUALS who enslaved populations of millions ALONE. We see in an episode that one such emperor had such sensitivity as to be able to identify which person stopped clapping in a crowd of hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Upon seeing someone stopped clapping, he burned them alive.

We see Shun (the memory-erased first-love of Saki) was an individual child trying his best to subdue his powers, but even despite his best efforts and all the motivation in the world, he couldn't help but subconsciously deform and warp the reality out of a whole valley and every living thing in it.

Squealor always viewed Cantus as what differentiates the two species. Cantus is what makes Humans "gods" and human-rats "slaves". Squealor witnesses with his own eyes two confused and lost cantus-wielding CHILDREN (Saki and Satoru) wipe out a powerful human-rat army of thousands. We are shown during those episodes how thoughtfully he watches these events and how amazed he is. He knew as a first-hand witness that the strongest human-rat army could not hope to beat a single cantus wielder unless they managed to land a surprise blow. Thus, the human-rats could never last long in a battle to challenge the cantus-wielders. The power balance was so laughably one-sided that a SINGLE surviving cantus-wielder who survived the rebellion would be able to stroll through Japan and exterminate every single human-rat colony that existed, one by one.

And in fact, that is what kept happening for a thousand years since 21st century Japan.

But despite the impossibility of freedom, he deeply believes that humans and queerats are both intelligent and both human and both deserving of dignity. He deeply believes that the human-rats are not their slaves. He learned from the archives and the architectural ruins the history of the human-rats and knew that they were descendants of 21st century Japan. He wasn't just fighting for his tiny Robber Fly colony. He was fighting for all human-rats and all humans who had been oppressed for a thousand years to be able to live like the 21st century Japan again, which he viewed as the true heritage and identity of the human-rats. It wasn't just that Squealor was trying to ape 21st century Japan, Squealor was quite philosopically minded and actually reached those conclusions along with other human-rats in the "unions" based on reasoning and logic. Thus, he implemented reforms in the colonies, which is what got him political power in the first place. At the beginning, he didn't know how he would earn freedom from cantus-wielders. All he was doing was enthusiastically introducing the ideas of "rights", "democracy", "individual freedom", "concrete buildings" and all sorts of ideas from 21st century Japan.

When Satoru and Saki ask him about what happened to the queens (one area of side-effects), he himself was visibly confused and apologetic for how it had to turn out. https://shinsekaiyori.fandom.com/wiki/Squealer#Quotes
He didnt want it to turn out in this way and to think that a leader wouldn't face harsh challenges and interruptions to his idealism when he advocated for democracy to an absolute monarch queen, is naive.

So in conclusion,
21st century Japan, with all its advanced weapons, LOST to single individual cantus-wielders. All of their humans were enslaved and subjected to violence for a thousand years and finally mutilated into rats so that when the violence BETWEEN cantus-wielders would end, human-rats would still be able to be killed, maimed and enslaved, as normal.

Thus, the only possible path to survival and freedom was to get rid of all cantus-wielders.

It just isn't possible to spare any cantus-wielders because of how imbalanced the power dynamics are.

Can you see that?

Lets illustrate. In the show, we see a historical flashback wherein teams of highly trained human assassins carry out a mission to kill a single emperor, on behalf of the enslaved humanity (in their own their words). We see these assassins carry out a surprise attack but still lose their lives and get wiped out to the last man. Only luck and trickery by the final assassin makes their mission a success, by a hair. Yet although those humans did manage to bring down ONE emperor, we also know for a fact that the oppression went on after this event. As normal. Because eventually, another cantus-wielder came along who also didn't view normal humans as dignified, thus ALSO became an oppressor and enslaver. And nothing changed.

Nothing changes if you kill ONE cantus-wielder. Nothing changes if you kill ten. Because if a SINGLE surviving cantus-wielder wants, he can on his own, ALONE, become emperor over a million normal humans.

Thus, this makes the extermination of cantus-wielders, down to the last man, woman and child JUSTIFIED. And utterly morally defensible. As they are all, weapons of mass destruction. The cantus-wielders themselves recognize that cantus-wielders are weapons of mass destruction and SAKI HERSELF, AT THE END OF THE SHOW, JOINS THE POLITICAL REGIME WHICH CARRIES OUT THE KILLING OF RISKY CANTUS-WIELDING CHILDREN. We do not see any reference to Saki trying to end that practice, despite Saki's personal relationship with children who were killed during the first half of the show. Saki realizes how dangerous it would be for fiends to emerge.

Thus, it is already established that killing cantus-wielding children is morally justified if they can't GUARRANTEE that the child won't be violent.

Squealor couldn't guarrantee a single thing about ANY cantus-wielder. As far as he was concerned, NONE OF THEM would experience death-feedback if they killed a human-rat and he was right. Thus, just like the cantus-wielders were entitled to kill cantus-wielders who weren't GUARRANTEED to be safe, so was he. In fact, he was more so.

Sqealor wasn't taking any pleasure in the murders. He really was forced into it. He knew that he could not possibly negotiate with cantus-wielders because they didnt view them as having dignity enough to reason with them. Moreover, there were people in Exospecies Control Department who if they got suspicious, would instantly kill them for initiating reforms. Satoru himself stated that Squealor simply calling himself as having equal dignity as a human was enough to earn him the death penalty. So he couldn't negotiate with humans.

He viewed extermination as a measure of last-resort. He knew that that massacres of humans was wrong and even worthy of an apology, as he said so in his impassioned speech to Saki, but his position was that it was EQUALLY wrong the massacres inflicted by the humans on the human-rats.

As for using the human child, he himself stated, quoted verbatim from Episode 25, "I deserve to die, for wasting our one and only chance to change history."
"[kidnapping Mamoru and Maria's child] was simply part of the strategy."
"Once hostilities with humans started, we had to do everything we could do to win."

We can easily see that without cantus, the human-rat side was powerless. His only strategy to bring about liberation was to somehow use cantus-wielders own power against them.

Yes, the kidnapping of one child IS horrible, but it becomes is a lot more understandable given that the human-rats didn't start this sad history. It becomes a lot more understandable when WE SEE HUMAN-RAT CHILDREN ALSO BEING KILLED ON SCREEN IN THE SHOW. WHEN WE SEE CHILDREN OF 21st CENTURY JAPAN BEING KILLED ON-SCREEN IN THE SHOW.

He wanted to end this sad history.

Saki's course of action will just perpetuate it. I guarrantee that the ones who mutilated humans to keep it possible to kill and enslave them would not be too sorry to learn they did such a thing. They knew what they were doing. And their descendents will agree with them.

And as I've demonstrated exhaustively in this reply, you only need ONE cantus-wielder to be a racist to enslave every human-rat in Japan.

Cantus is too great a power for humans to have. It empowers single humans far too much. And real history shows that even the best reforms dont wipe out racism. How would you view it if racists of 21st century USA were able to use cantus to put all blacks back in their cages, with the good people unable to do a thing to stop them? In such a scenario, wiping out the cantus-wielders, through any means, would be justified. As they present an existential risk. And this is a war that THEY started.

Thus, it is not hyperbolic to say that Squealor was completely morally justified in this war and his conduct therein. He does NOT deserve to be indicted as a war criminal. He deserves acquittal. He fought an impossible war for a just cause, he fought for his people and not his own ego, and faced the hard choices he was forced into making with logic and reason and without any excess cruelty than was completely justified.

There can be no comparison with the choices Squealor was forced to make that are comparable to a universe without cantus-wielders. Because as soon as you put cantus into the hands of all citizens of Nazi Germany, and all of those Nazi citizens went on to create a long history of enslaving other races and waging destruction and oppression... then I'm sorry to say, it justifies the victims to seek to wipe out all holders of this power to protect themselves. This is the harsh game theory that this show so realistically depicts, a universe where humans have superpowers of this magnitude.

In my view, the entire theme of the show is... that a world where humans had lopsided superpowers... would be a terrible world and that humans cannot be entrusted with such lopsided powers.
IAmSovereignJun 7, 2022 3:44 AM
Jun 7, 2022 1:09 PM

Mar 2021
IAmSovereign said:
fyrflys said:

<3

What I don't understand is how you cannot see the game theory in this show makes it impossible for Squealor to be compared to real-life slavers, genocidists. In real-life, you just had to dismantle a genocidal regime and take over the population and institute reforms and voila, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan could indeed be salvaged. Good people could indeed be spared, and even future generations could be redeemed (although even in those cases, the technology limitations made it neccessary to inflict great destruction on those countries before they could be stopped).

But in Shinsekai Yori, Squeelor was facing a completely different Game Theory. He had to somehow come up with a solution to an incredible power-imbalance in order for the human-rats to escape a thousand years of slavery.

Just think back to the first episode:

We know that a SINGLE cantus-wielding psychopath managed to commit massacres in Tokyo, Japan in the 21st century, and the whole city was helpless.
Later, we know that entire nations committed their militaries to battle with SINGLE cantus wielders AND LOST (we see in earlier episodes that 21st century countries employed aerial bombardment and even nuclear weaponry to fight. While we dont see the outcomes of these battles, we do know from the ruins that they lost. In fact, the last arc of the anime takes place in a city in ruins where such a military battle took place.)

We are told in the narration that the new order that emerged out of the devastation of the 21st century was rule by "emperors", SINGLE cantus-wielding INDIVIDUALS who enslaved populations of millions ALONE. We see in an episode that one such emperor had such sensitivity as to be able to identify which person stopped clapping in a crowd of hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Upon seeing someone stopped clapping, he burned them alive.

We see Shun (the memory-erased first-love of Saki) was an individual child trying his best to subdue his powers, but even despite his best efforts and all the motivation in the world, he couldn't help but subconsciously deform and warp the reality out of a whole valley and every living thing in it.

Squealor always viewed Cantus as what differentiates the two species. Cantus is what makes Humans "gods" and human-rats "slaves". Squealor witnesses with his own eyes two confused and lost cantus-wielding CHILDREN (Saki and Satoru) wipe out a powerful human-rat army of thousands. We are shown during those episodes how thoughtfully he watches these events and how amazed he is. He knew as a first-hand witness that the strongest human-rat army could not hope to beat a single cantus wielder unless they managed to land a surprise blow. Thus, the human-rats could never last long in a battle to challenge the cantus-wielders. The power balance was so laughably one-sided that a SINGLE surviving cantus-wielder who survived the rebellion would be able to stroll through Japan and exterminate every single human-rat colony that existed, one by one.

And in fact, that is what kept happening for a thousand years since 21st century Japan.

But despite the impossibility of freedom, he deeply believes that humans and queerats are both intelligent and both human and both deserving of dignity. He deeply believes that the human-rats are not their slaves. He learned from the archives and the architectural ruins the history of the human-rats and knew that they were descendants of 21st century Japan. He wasn't just fighting for his tiny Robber Fly colony. He was fighting for all human-rats and all humans who had been oppressed for a thousand years to be able to live like the 21st century Japan again, which he viewed as the true heritage and identity of the human-rats. It wasn't just that Squealor was trying to ape 21st century Japan, Squealor was quite philosopically minded and actually reached those conclusions along with other human-rats in the "unions" based on reasoning and logic. Thus, he implemented reforms in the colonies, which is what got him political power in the first place. At the beginning, he didn't know how he would earn freedom from cantus-wielders. All he was doing was enthusiastically introducing the ideas of "rights", "democracy", "individual freedom", "concrete buildings" and all sorts of ideas from 21st century Japan.

When Satoru and Saki ask him about what happened to the queens (one area of side-effects), he himself was visibly confused and apologetic for how it had to turn out. https://shinsekaiyori.fandom.com/wiki/Squealer#Quotes
He didnt want it to turn out in this way and to think that a leader wouldn't face harsh challenges and interruptions to his idealism when he advocated for democracy to an absolute monarch queen, is naive.

So in conclusion,
21st century Japan, with all its advanced weapons, LOST to single individual cantus-wielders. All of their humans were enslaved and subjected to violence for a thousand years and finally mutilated into rats so that when the violence BETWEEN cantus-wielders would end, human-rats would still be able to be killed, maimed and enslaved, as normal.

Thus, the only possible path to survival and freedom was to get rid of all cantus-wielders.

It just isn't possible to spare any cantus-wielders because of how imbalanced the power dynamics are.

Can you see that?

Lets illustrate. In the show, we see a historical flashback wherein teams of highly trained human assassins carry out a mission to kill a single emperor, on behalf of the enslaved humanity (in their own their words). We see these assassins carry out a surprise attack but still lose their lives and get wiped out to the last man. Only luck and trickery by the final assassin makes their mission a success, by a hair. Yet although those humans did manage to bring down ONE emperor, we also know for a fact that the oppression went on after this event. As normal. Because eventually, another cantus-wielder came along who also didn't view normal humans as dignified, thus ALSO became an oppressor and enslaver. And nothing changed.

Nothing changes if you kill ONE cantus-wielder. Nothing changes if you kill ten. Because if a SINGLE surviving cantus-wielder wants, he can on his own, ALONE, become emperor over a million normal humans.

Thus, this makes the extermination of cantus-wielders, down to the last man, woman and child JUSTIFIED. And utterly morally defensible. As they are all, weapons of mass destruction. The cantus-wielders themselves recognize that cantus-wielders are weapons of mass destruction and SAKI HERSELF, AT THE END OF THE SHOW, JOINS THE POLITICAL REGIME WHICH CARRIES OUT THE KILLING OF RISKY CANTUS-WIELDING CHILDREN. We do not see any reference to Saki trying to end that practice, despite Saki's personal relationship with children who were killed during the first half of the show. Saki realizes how dangerous it would be for fiends to emerge.

Thus, it is already established that killing cantus-wielding children is morally justified if they can't GUARRANTEE that the child won't be violent.

Squealor couldn't guarrantee a single thing about ANY cantus-wielder. As far as he was concerned, NONE OF THEM would experience death-feedback if they killed a human-rat and he was right. Thus, just like the cantus-wielders were entitled to kill cantus-wielders who weren't GUARRANTEED to be safe, so was he. In fact, he was more so.

Sqealor wasn't taking any pleasure in the murders. He really was forced into it. He knew that he could not possibly negotiate with cantus-wielders because they didnt view them as having dignity enough to reason with them. Moreover, there were people in Exospecies Control Department who if they got suspicious, would instantly kill them for initiating reforms. Satoru himself stated that Squealor simply calling himself as having equal dignity as a human was enough to earn him the death penalty. So he couldn't negotiate with humans.

He viewed extermination as a measure of last-resort. He knew that that massacres of humans was wrong and even worthy of an apology, as he said so in his impassioned speech to Saki, but his position was that it was EQUALLY wrong the massacres inflicted by the humans on the human-rats.

As for using the human child, he himself stated, quoted verbatim from Episode 25, "I deserve to die, for wasting our one and only chance to change history."
"[kidnapping Mamoru and Maria's child] was simply part of the strategy."
"Once hostilities with humans started, we had to do everything we could do to win."

We can easily see that without cantus, the human-rat side was powerless. His only strategy to bring about liberation was to somehow use cantus-wielders own power against them.

Yes, the kidnapping of one child IS horrible, but it becomes is a lot more understandable given that the human-rats didn't start this sad history. It becomes a lot more understandable when WE SEE HUMAN-RAT CHILDREN ALSO BEING KILLED ON SCREEN IN THE SHOW. WHEN WE SEE CHILDREN OF 21st CENTURY JAPAN BEING KILLED ON-SCREEN IN THE SHOW.

He wanted to end this sad history.

Saki's course of action will just perpetuate it. I guarrantee that the ones who mutilated humans to keep it possible to kill and enslave them would not be too sorry to learn they did such a thing. They knew what they were doing. And their descendents will agree with them.

And as I've demonstrated exhaustively in this reply, you only need ONE cantus-wielder to be a racist to enslave every human-rat in Japan.

Cantus is too great a power for humans to have. It empowers single humans far too much. And real history shows that even the best reforms dont wipe out racism. How would you view it if racists of 21st century USA were able to use cantus to put all blacks back in their cages, with the good people unable to do a thing to stop them? In such a scenario, wiping out the cantus-wielders, through any means, would be justified. As they present an existential risk. And this is a war that THEY started.

Thus, it is not hyperbolic to say that Squealor was completely morally justified in this war and his conduct therein. He does NOT deserve to be indicted as a war criminal. He deserves acquittal. He fought an impossible war for a just cause, he fought for his people and not his own ego, and faced the hard choices he was forced into making with logic and reason and without any excess cruelty than was completely justified.

There can be no comparison with the choices Squealor was forced to make that are comparable to a universe without cantus-wielders. Because as soon as you put cantus into the hands of all citizens of Nazi Germany, and all of those Nazi citizens went on to create a long history of enslaving other races and waging destruction and oppression... then I'm sorry to say, it justifies the victims to seek to wipe out all holders of this power to protect themselves. This is the harsh game theory that this show so realistically depicts, a universe where humans have superpowers of this magnitude.

In my view, the entire theme of the show is... that a world where humans had lopsided superpowers... would be a terrible world and that humans cannot be entrusted with such lopsided powers.

Imma be honest, I only skimmed through this, so sorry if I missed something.

1. The only reason I brought up real life events (Nazi's and stuff) is because you did initially. So you essential devalued your own argument.

"Nazi Germany needed to be stopped. So did Stalin. So did slave-owners."

2. What me and the other user were saying is that whether or not what Squealor did was acceptable considering the circumstances is debatable, but you can't argue that he didn't do bad things. Even if it was for the cause, even if he didn't want to, he still did it. You can't call someone a saint for murdering countless people and manipulating many others. Your argument is essentially that two wrongs make a right, that Squealor's wrong somehow righted the human's wrong. It didn't, you just end up with two wrongs, two sides doing bad things. If you think that what Squalor did was worth the cause, then fine, your opinion, but you still need to acknowledge that what he did was morally wrong. Your disregarding his immoral choices entirely in your argument, saying that he can't do wrong.

Imagine this: Someone is holding a gun to your head, and tells you to shoot someone. Killing them saves your life, but sparing them costs yours. If you choose to kill them, it is fair to say your justified in your decision to save your life. But you stilled killed someone, which is morally wrong. You took someone else's life in favor of your own. In fact, many people, including some I know, would rather die than kill the person because it is morally wrong, and they either don't want to, or can't, kill them. Squealer chooses to shoot the bullet. Except his bullet is determining the fate of thousands. If you think Squealor is justified in his actions for freedom, than argue that all you want. But Squealor is still committing some horrible, immoral acts himself, and saying he can't be criticized for that is ignorant.

Jul 1, 2022 7:19 AM

Mar 2015
you can empathize with the rat if you want, no shame in it. but the story of shinsekai yori is not of black and white morals. in his context squeeler was right: his rat-people were dealt a shitty hand and he tried to turn the tables. in context of PK users squeeler was a villain and had to be put down. as simple as that

the society of PK users held on very fragile balance of bullshit put together and its not easy to fix: you take 1 bullshit out of the equation and everything is going to shambles. its hard to manage a crowd of people with godlike powers each able to rip the world apart with a single thought
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jul 12, 2022 2:00 AM
May 2021
I didn't felt bad for squeeler at all. He did horrible things and I wanted him to fcking die. I was satisfied when they gave him infinite hell punishment. But at the end when they revealed Their race was actually human before who had no PK powers then I kinda felt sympathy for them. But they killed so many people and some fav characters for which I can't forgive him. Literally every main - side character died in this series except Saki and Satoru, which was shocking
Dec 27, 2023 4:11 AM
Apr 2019
Yeah, no, Squealer is not a good guy, he's a power hungry genocidal maniac, and the logic used to defend him is how we get terrorism and genocide in the real world.

I also don't have a lot of sympathy for the rat civilization portraited in this anime, they constantly fight wars with each other and practice literal slavery, hardly an enlightened society that you'd want to inherit this planet. Say what about the "human" civilization depicted here, at least they preserved some resemblance of human culture.

Jan 11, 6:07 AM
Mar 2013
Reply to proxima16
Yeah, no, Squealer is not a good guy, he's a power hungry genocidal maniac, and the logic used to defend him is how we get terrorism and genocide in the real world.

I also don't have a lot of sympathy for the rat civilization portraited in this anime, they constantly fight wars with each other and practice literal slavery, hardly an enlightened society that you'd want to inherit this planet. Say what about the "human" civilization depicted here, at least they preserved some resemblance of human culture.

@proxima16

The rats in this case are the humans who were enslaved by Cantus wielders for a thousand years.

Once cantus wielders got sick of their own violence and untenable peace, they modified themselves to be unable to harm other humans. But left non-cantus wielding humans as a big loose end. So they changed the DNA of normal humans (people like you and me) so that their progeny was the rat people.

That alone is enough to get some sympathy for the cause of a rebellion against humans who literally enslave them, even deform their slaves into rat people. Squeeler fought for that. In his trial, he yelled the truth "I am human". That was true. But they laughed at him and gave him a dehumanizingly cruel and unusual punishment of eternal torture.

As for rats culture being primitive. Before Cantus wielders modified them, rats were people like you and me who were enslaved and even before that their ancestors WERE you and me. The current biology and culture of the descendents of non-cantus wielding humans is to a huge extent controlled and dictated by humans for their own purposes.

It isn't like islamic civilization where its rotten from the start, regardless of whether or not Israel is around.

Humans weren't rotten from the start. Me and you are proof of that. We deserve dignity and human rights and our descendents do too.

Cantus wielders deserved a rebellion. and Squeelor's cause was just. The main characters were just fortunate to be born in a slaver society and their only heroic quality was a small amount of empathy for those victimized in the past and present by them. This isn't equivalent to the modern left's grievances. These rat humans were literal literal deformed slaves, murdered at human whims (as squeelor and others mentions).

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.