Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
May 1, 2022 12:37 AM
Jan 2022
I have seen the term "light novel" when i tried to download the manga of this anime. So, What is it?
May 1, 2022 12:53 AM
May 1, 2022 12:53 AM

May 2021
A light novel (ライトノベル, raito noberu) is a style of Japanese young adult novel primarily targeting high school and middle school students. The term "light novel" is a wasei-eigo, or a Japanese term formed from words in the English language. Light novels are often called ranobe (ラノベ) or, in English, LN.

What is the difference between a novel and a light novel? In short: Light Novels are usually shorter and they also contain few illustrations. In addition they are easier to read.

The average length of a light novel is about 50,000 words, close to the minimum word count expected for a Western novel, and is published in the bunkobon format (A6, 10.5 cm×14.8 cm or 4.1"x5.8"). Light novels are subject to dense publishing schedules, with new installations being published in 6-9 month intervals.
-Wikipedia and Google
May 1, 2022 12:58 AM
May 2020
just like a story but very heavy dialogue (well most of them are) like play scripts. also it is shorter than a english novel
May 1, 2022 1:25 AM

Oct 2020
LN is the abbreviation of the term 'Light Novel'.
It's basically short, smaller and contains simple words than usual Novels, and it have illustrations.
It's not like manga, mangas are just comics or picture book.

Like this

Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
May 1, 2022 1:38 AM
Dec 2019
I didn’t know what a light novel was either and I just read my first one last night…and I hated it >:(
Fym few illustrations and a bunch of script reading? That shit has no impact and it takes away the enjoyment of enjoying a series, sure I know what happens before the manga chapter is available but that doesn’t really have a kick to it, if that’s a light novel then I don’t want to know what a web novel is, so with that said Anime>Manga>Light novel > web novel and for those who keep preaching about the LN kindly and respectfully (I don’t want to get banned again) don’t cause it’s awful and a waste of time like what do y’all enjoy about them please enlighten me otherwise (still don’t want to get banned) the version of be quiet with a F and the (my first light novel was for mushoku tensei )
May 1, 2022 1:40 AM
Aug 2021
You should read the Manga.
May 1, 2022 1:48 AM
Jan 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
I didn’t know what a light novel was either and I just read my first one last night…and I hated it >:(
Fym few illustrations and a bunch of script reading? That shit has no impact and it takes away the enjoyment of enjoying a series, sure I know what happens before the manga chapter is available but that doesn’t really have a kick to it, if that’s a light novel then I don’t want to know what a web novel is, so with that said Anime>Manga>Light novel > web novel and for those who keep preaching about the LN kindly and respectfully (I don’t want to get banned again) don’t cause it’s awful and a waste of time like what do y’all enjoy about them please enlighten me otherwise (still don’t want to get banned) the version of be quiet with a F and the (my first light novel was for mushoku tensei )

Learn to read 🗿
May 1, 2022 1:56 AM
Dec 2019
GhostMuttt said:
RequiemLo64 said:

Learn to read 🗿
I prefer anime, occasionally I’ll take a dip into manga but we don’t talk about that, I can read just fine and it’s not my fault light novels have no appeal or impact
May 1, 2022 2:58 AM

Oct 2020
RequiemLo64 said:

You can't say that shit have no impact. you should add "on me" or for someone who don't like reading. Reading Manga is different, that's not even true reading, that's just watching pictures and understanding. There are more people in the world who prefer reading than watching shows. It's just because you don't have reading habits, maybe that's why you feel bore, for me reading is no different than watching anime, other than that for me the music is the reason the anime is better.
If you have watched anime, I bet you have seen some guy/girl like Kaneki, Makishima, Kotomo, Hikigaya, Nouzen, Shigure etc etc who love reading books. It's just for someone who love reading, gives the same enjoyment as watching a show.
And LNs have every minor details which is the reason readers get more stuff to know than typical anime watchers.

I'm not blaming you, just don't spread misinformation by saying Anime>Manga>LN>WN.
To say original is the best in most cases and LNs are hard to adapt as it have very minor details, so LNs are always better than anime adaptations. Liking or disliking have no link with this
Anayan_KashyapMay 1, 2022 3:01 AM
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
May 1, 2022 3:08 AM
Oct 2020
Anayan_Kashyap said:
LN is the abbreviation of the term 'Light Novel'.
It's basically short, smaller and contains simple words than usual Novels, and it have illustrations.
It's not like manga, mangas are just comics or picture book.

Like this

respect bro, good taste!
May 1, 2022 3:11 AM
Dec 2019
Ok that’s fair to say however I’ll say that as many times as need be because light novels do nothing wrong n comparison to it’s counterpart mediums and yeah I could say for “me” or phrase that exclaim I’m talking about my own take on light novels but it’s not just me now is it? I can’t count every person that doesn’t like LN(s) but without a doubt in my mind it’s factual that anime is better than manga which in turn is better than the two novel variations. I’m not spreading misinformation because anyone reading can see subjective when they see it and if they don’t well I’m sure anyone and their mom can build their own opinions and I’ve built mine, few illustrations, knowledge of everything even the stuff the anime and manga don’t cover, and all in a shorter medium don’t cut it for me or a majority of people anyhow but if you or anyone else appreciates light novels then more power to ya, reading is very fundamental and light novels definitely give you a good read but even if without LN I wouldn’t have the very anime I preach so much about I still don’t fuck with LN
May 1, 2022 5:48 AM
Jan 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
GhostMuttt said:

Learn to read 🗿
I prefer anime, occasionally I’ll take a dip into manga but we don’t talk about that, I can read just fine and it’s not my fault light novels have no appeal or impact
if they have no impact u either can’t read or aren’t reading anything good 🗿
May 1, 2022 6:15 AM
Apr 2020
Mikegamin777 said:
I have seen the term "light novel" when i tried to download the manga of this anime. So, What is it?

bruh what a newbie. a lot of anime you see airing is not adpated from manga, it's adapted from LNs(light novels)
for example: the rising of the shield hero, re zero, mushoku tensei, baccano, monogatari, bungo stray dogs, slime etc
May 1, 2022 6:18 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:

if you hated mushoku tensie light novel, you just have a shitty taste. light novels are better than both manga and anime because they are source of origin and are 100% accurate. you either can't read or have ADHD
May 1, 2022 6:19 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:
Ok that’s fair to say however I’ll say that as many times as need be because light novels do nothing wrong n comparison to it’s counterpart mediums and yeah I could say for “me” or phrase that exclaim I’m talking about my own take on light novels but it’s not just me now is it? I can’t count every person that doesn’t like LN(s) but without a doubt in my mind it’s factual that anime is better than manga which in turn is better than the two novel variations. I’m not spreading misinformation because anyone reading can see subjective when they see it and if they don’t well I’m sure anyone and their mom can build their own opinions and I’ve built mine, few illustrations, knowledge of everything even the stuff the anime and manga don’t cover, and all in a shorter medium don’t cut it for me or a majority of people anyhow but if you or anyone else appreciates light novels then more power to ya, reading is very fundamental and light novels definitely give you a good read but even if without LN I wouldn’t have the very anime I preach so much about I still don’t fuck with LN

this mf likes shit revengers, what are we even talking about? that shit ripped of Re zero so hard
May 1, 2022 6:20 AM
Dec 2019
GhostMuttt said:
RequiemLo64 said:
if they have no impact u either can’t read or aren’t reading anything good 🗿
well I’d ask for recommendations but I wouldn’t want to shit on your favorite light novels
May 1, 2022 6:21 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:

also not to mention that more than half of you mal list is light novel adaptations
May 1, 2022 6:22 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

if you hated mushoku tensie light novel, you just have a shitty taste. light novels are better than both manga and anime because they are source of origin and are 100% accurate. you either can't read or have ADHD
I don’t need ADHD to know that light novels are boring asf and not worth it I can just wait for the better of the mediums to come out :)
May 1, 2022 6:25 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

this mf likes shit revengers, what are we even talking about? that shit ripped of Re zero so hard
my guy you’ll notice a trend, I give everything a high score unless I really didn’t like it so there’s nothing on my list that you can sue ti attack me but aye it was a good enough try :)
May 1, 2022 6:26 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

also not to mention that more than half of you mal list is light novel adaptations
i know crazy right? Speaking of right those adaptions were done right in comparison to its source, damn and you defending light novels so hard xD
May 1, 2022 6:27 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:
Rion2 said:

i know crazy right? Speaking of right those adaptions were done right in comparison to its source, damn and you defending light novels so hard xD
all those adaptations are done porly. Lgiht novel is always the best possible source
May 1, 2022 6:29 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:
all those adaptations are done porly. Lgiht novel is always the best possible source
done poorly? At least they were done, all you get from light novels is a 9th graders art final and and 10th graders English final. Anime and manga give you something to work with and enjoy light novels make you do the work, what do you listen to music, get inspiration form google photos and the 3 illustrations you get lmao
May 1, 2022 6:31 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:
Rion2 said:
done poorly? At least they were done, all you get from light novels is a 9th graders art final and and 10th graders English final. Anime and manga give you something to work with and enjoy light novels make you do the work, what do you listen to music, get inspiration form google photos and the 3 illustrations you get lmao
you've read mushoku and you still say the art is bad? This mf's trolling. Just fuck off already, your opinion is fucking invalid you 7th grader who can't read
May 1, 2022 6:37 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:
you've read mushoku and you still say the art is bad? This mf's trolling. Just fuck off already, your opinion is fucking invalid you 7th grader who can't read
preschoolers throwing a temper tantrum on MAL what else is new? I tried to ignore your ignorance but clearly you have no idea how to read what your type before you hit “post message” you want me to fuck off? how about you first considering this is MAL not LNL, I forgot you aren’t very bright Allow me to simply that for you, oh wait let me take it the next level cause maybe simplify is too much for you, lemme dumb it down cause that’s more your speed preschooler throwing a temper tantrum on MAL (my anime list) LNL stands for light novel list, so if you want a place that appreciates your 15 second manuscript with a picture go there you can’t miss it xD
May 1, 2022 6:37 AM
Jan 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Rion2 said:
that’s bc your reading translated works, find some good English authors books to read if your brain can handle it 🤯 also the art is different not bad, lot of times more detailed
May 1, 2022 6:38 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:
btdubbz I don’t troll, but since you’re getting butthurt I can learn to lmao
May 1, 2022 6:39 AM
Apr 2020
RequiemLo64 said:
Rion2 said:
preschoolers throwing a temper tantrum on MAL what else is new? I tried to ignore your ignorance but clearly you have no idea how to read what your type before you hit “post message” you want me to fuck off? how about you first considering this is MAL not LNL, I forgot you aren’t very bright Allow me to simply that for you, oh wait let me take it the next level cause maybe simplify is too much for you, lemme dumb it down cause that’s more your speed preschooler throwing a temper tantrum on MAL (my anime list) LNL stands for light novel list, so if you want a place that appreciates your 15 second manuscript with a picture go there you can’t miss it xD
i'm done with your shit. I will leave and read light novels now
May 1, 2022 6:40 AM
Dec 2019
GhostMuttt said:
RequiemLo64 said:
that’s bc your reading translated works, find some good English authors books to read if your brain can handle it 🤯 also the art is different not bad, lot of times more detailed
translates works? You’re not helping or even remotely making a case for light novels after that lmao bruh y’all white knights for unfinished projects really ain’t Shii
May 1, 2022 6:42 AM
Dec 2019
Rion2 said:
RequiemLo64 said:
go ahead see if I care! I’ll go back to watching finished projects known as anime oh and while I’m at it if I want to read I’ll read a manga which does the whole illustrations and translated works shtick a lot better
May 1, 2022 6:53 AM
Jan 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Rion2 said:
go ahead see if I care! I’ll go back to watching finished projects known as anime oh and while I’m at it if I want to read I’ll read a manga which does the whole illustrations and translated works shtick a lot better

Dudes really crying cuz he can’t read anything that’s not a picture book 😢
May 1, 2022 6:54 AM
Dec 2019
GhostMuttt said:
RequiemLo64 said:

dudes over here crying because he can’t multitask while enjoying a medium
May 1, 2022 6:58 AM
Jan 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
GhostMuttt said:

I’m a great multitasker just ask your mom ❤️
May 1, 2022 7:02 AM
Dec 2019
GhostMuttt said:
RequiemLo64 said:
I’m a great multitasker just ask your mom ❤️
we must have that in common, I’m sure your sisters from the same college I go to, your mom, and her sisters would agree. also she was for the streets cause your crush (assuming she’d even friend zone you if you were lucky enough ) had the same opinion.
May 1, 2022 9:42 AM
Jun 2021
a short novel with occasional illustrations
May 1, 2022 12:05 PM

Feb 2021
Light Novels are peak form of story telling which is much better than manga imo.

But Your Lie In April is originally a manga and it only has a LN side story.
May 2, 2022 1:31 AM
Apr 2020
just think of a novel with a few pictures thrown in there.
May 2, 2022 3:30 AM

Oct 2015
@Mikegamin777
@RequiemLo64

I will answer both of your questions.
Light Novels are novels that are easier to read and shorter than most long English novels.
Some light novels are short (Altina The Sword Princess) and some are long and take long time to read (Toaru Majutsu No Index).

You will get used to light novels once you read a few of them. English is my second language and I am already used to English-translated LNs.
LNs tend to have better plot and characters than manga. I enjoy Toaru Majutsu No Index LN way more than My Hero Academia. I also enjoy 86 more than Attack On Titan. I also enjoy Reborn To Master The Blade more than One Punch Man.

I will group some light novels in terms of difficulty in reading:

Group 1 - Easy To Read (Entry-Level)
Altina The Sword Princess (Shortest and easiest LN I have read as of now)
Seirei Gensouki
The Greatest Magicmaster's Retirement Plan
Tenkyou No Alderamin
Reborn To Master The Blade.... (The name of this LN is too long)

Group 2 - Normal Difficulty (Read at least 3 LNs before reading this)
Full Metal Panic (A lot of thing going on at a time).
86 (The description is hard to understand if you are too new to reading LNs)

Group 3 - Difficult to read (Read at least 5 LNs before reading this)
Toaru Majutsu No Index (A lot things going on at a time and a lot of characters)

I don't think I will read Your Lie In April because middle school romance is not my genre.
I have not read Mushoku Tensei so I cannot judge it, I am still considering if I should pick it up.

For Mushoku Tensei, if you struggled with the writing, you can try picking up Seirei Gensouki. It is an isekai drama. Seirei Gensouki is easy to understand, it is my second LN.
Seirei Gensouki LN is also much better than anime.

Hope this information helps the both of you~
May 2, 2022 3:47 AM
Dec 2019
NewestPersonHere said:
@Mikegamin777
@RequiemLo64

Light Novels are novels that are easier to read and shorter than most long English novels.
Some light novels are short (Altina The Sword Princess) and some are long and take long time to read (Toaru Majutsu No Index).

You will get used to light novels once you read a few of them. English is my second language and I am already used to English-translated LNs.
LNs tend to have better plot and characters than manga. I enjoy Toaru Majutsu No Index LN way more than My Hero Academia. I also enjoy 86 more than Attack On Titan. I also enjoy Reborn To Master The Blade more than One Punch Man.

Seirei Gensouki
Tenkyou No Alderamin

Toaru Majutsu No Index (A lot things going on at a time and a lot of characters)

I don't think I will read Your Lie In April because middle school romance is not my genre.
I have not read Mushoku Tensei so I cannot judge it, I am still considering if I should pick it up.

For Mushoku Tensei, if you struggled with the writing, you can try picking up Seirei Gensouki. It is an isekai drama. Seirei Gensouki is easy to understand, it is my second LN.

I guess I can give light novels another go, I didn’t want to wait a whole month for Mushoku tensei (which you should pick up regardless of the medium you choose to enjoy it cause it’s definitely up there with some of the best imo) to come out with another chapter so I heard the light novel goes further than the anime and manga so I checked out volume 16 I think it was and when I saw like a few illustrations and what almost seemed like a never-ending paragraphs upon paragraph, I just quit halfway through and wondered why people enjoy em. Thanks for the in-depth answer to what they are and which to pick up first since I’ve never dealt with this medium
May 2, 2022 1:34 PM
Nov 2020
Light novel is a novel. Of course there's few illustrations. Manga is just comics. Light novels are the source of most animes and LN's are ahead of animes since animes are adapted from it. If you're not into reading, then just watch animes or read mangas. I prefer LN's over animes or mangas but i just watch animes since i don't have the time to read volumes and volumes of LN's. I recommend reading Overlord(ongoing) or KonoSuba(finished) if you're into Isekais.
May 4, 2022 7:59 AM

Oct 2015
RequiemLo64 said:
NewestPersonHere said:
@Mikegamin777
@RequiemLo64

Seirei Gensouki
Tenkyou No Alderamin

I guess I can give light novels another go, I didn’t want to wait a whole month for Mushoku tensei (which you should pick up regardless of the medium you choose to enjoy it cause it’s definitely up there with some of the best imo) to come out with another chapter so I heard the light novel goes further than the anime and manga so I checked out volume 16 I think it was and when I saw like a few illustrations and what almost seemed like a never-ending paragraphs upon paragraph, I just quit halfway through and wondered why people enjoy em. Thanks for the in-depth answer to what they are and which to pick up first since I’ve never dealt with this medium

I don't think I will pick up Mushoku Tensei LN for now, I have too many LNs on hold (86, Reborn To Master The Blade) and too many LNs in my plan list (Reign Of The Seven Spell Blades, Youjo Senki, Record Of Wortenia War). I have already watched the Mushoku Tensei anime, it is an alright isekai.

I just browsed through one of the Volumes of Mushoku Tensei, It is probably in Group 2 based on my grouping in difficulty in reading.

I think you can consider starting with dialogue-heavy LNs as a starter. Seirei Gensouki is probably a good start for your case, it is dialogue-heavy.

Seirei Gensouki and Mushoku Tensei have a lot of similarities:
Both are reincarnation isekai.
Both protagonists live a previous life in regret of something.
Both have a harem in their reincarnated life.

But there are some differences:
The protagonist in Seirei Gensouki is overpowered in swordsmanship (but cannot use magic due to spirit arts) until he got injured in Vol 14 and nearly died in Vol 18. Rudeus is good in magic but trash in swordsmanship.
The harem in Seirei Gensouki is mostly danderes while the harem in Mushoku Tensei has a tsundere, kuudere, dandere.
The protagonist in Seirei Gensouki is suffering from multiple personality disorder (clash of previous life memories and reincarnated life memories) while Rudeus is suffering from the effects of bullying from previous life.
The protagonist in Seirei Gensouki is more focused on revenge while Rudeus is more focused in becoming an adventurer.

Other than Seirei Gensouki, I cannot think of any LNs similar to Mushoku Tensei because most the LNs I read are very dark (tragedy genre).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
May 11, 12:06 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.