Forum Settings
Forums

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (1990) - April/May 2022 Group Watch

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 15, 2022 4:01 AM

Apr 2019
Unexpected events will take up a lot of my time in the near future, I'm not even sure I can join the next group watch(es). So I've decided to finish Nadia this weekend to be flexible with my time next week. I'll add spoiler tags and remove them later.
inimMay 15, 2022 4:05 AM

May 15, 2022 5:44 AM

Apr 2019
inimMay 15, 2022 5:49 AM

May 15, 2022 8:57 PM

May 2019
Episode 36

It's great to see the series really hitting its stride again, and this time with some major upgrades. It struck me that there wasn't any prolonged mourning period (it lasted the duration of their trip to the island) for the crew of the Nautilus, but now there's no need for that because everyone's alive, Nemo's rocking long hair, and they have a giant new battleship that can knock the aircraft that Gargoyle is using out of the air in one shot.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Gargoyle doesn't have a response. Holding Nadia hostage, he ensures that they can't just fire on him, and instead forces Nemo to give up his Blue Water (which the Emperor, who is on Gargoyle's side, can somehow teleport straight to himself). The episode ends with a clash between the cannons of the New Nautilus (real original name) and a gravity bomb that Gargoyle developed.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the last few episodes.
May 16, 2022 3:19 AM

Jun 2019
@inim no worries, unexpected issues have arisen in every new project I've ever been involved with so take you're time, we'll still be here watching anime when you've more time on your hands, but your posts will be missed. Let us know how things go this week and fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you.

@whiteflame55 if @inim isn't able to make the next watch, are you still ok with Macross F, as I know this is a new franchise for you and not the first title? I've skimmed through your ptw list and we could pick a show of your choosing if you like (on my ptw list or not) as I've had many of my personal choices as the watch choice since we began the group watch over a year ago? Some shows on both our ptw lists; Bungou Stray Dogs, Cells At Work, Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Your Lie In April (this could be a good one as it's a show many people have watched and have strong opinions on, scores vary greatly for my mal friends), Sonny Boy & SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online. I'd be up for any of these in @inim can't make the next watch. Or what about Serial Experiments Lain maybe?

Episode 37. This was a very good episode and the story really ramps up. So Gargoyle and the Emperor believe humans are slaves to the Atlantean race, although from what I remember, the Atlantean's themselves fought amongst themselves, the main reason Gargoyle gives Nadia for why the Neo-Atlantean's should rule, because they are better qualified and will prevent humans from destroying themselves. Well the Atlantean's did that all by themselves without any human interference, so they appear just as flawed as us, and hypocritical.

I also liked the part about the missing link in human evolution, a statement almost as true today as the when the show aired. We still haven't found proof of the jump from our ancient ancestors to modern humans (although some clues like Lucy from South Africa from 2 million years ago do give us an idea). I've been watching the latest season of Ancient Aliens in the evenings this past week and it's surprising how the theories about some beings may have tampered with our evolution or cultural progression continue to gain acceptance, especially in the last couple of years since the USA, Israel, Canada, France and China have all officially (but reluctantly in most cases) confirmed that UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena) exist and they are tracking them. Places like Tiwanaku in Peru, Baalbek in Lebanon, sunken city of Dwarka, Nan Madol and Golbekli Tepe in Turkey have sites whose construction can't be explained using pre iron age tools, and before the wheel was invented (or at least our first recorded case of the wheel). I reckon we'll see full disclosure and more revealed about our past that goes back a lot further than mainstream history currently teaches within our lifetime.

Nadia meets her brother and then Gargoyle/Emperor threaten the world and want humans as their slaves so they can live in England. Why England, the weather is usually terrible, I would pick France or a Mediterranean country like Greece or Italy given the choice. Nemo and the new battleship are ready and primed for the final encounter against Gargoyle and the forces of Neo Atlantis.
23feanorMay 16, 2022 9:18 AM
May 16, 2022 9:07 AM

May 2019
inim said:
Unexpected events will take up a lot of my time in the near future, I'm not even sure I can join the next group watch(es). So I've decided to finish Nadia this weekend to be flexible with my time next week. I'll add spoiler tags and remove them later.

Needless to say, real life comes first, so do what you have to do and, given that you say it's unexpected, I hope that things are well by you and that things should stabilize in short order.

23feanor said:
@whiteflame55 if @inim isn't able to make the next watch, are you still ok with Macross F, as I know this is a new franchise for you and not the first title? I've skimmed through your ptw list and we could pick a show of your choosing if you like (on my ptw list or not) as I've had many of my personal choices as the watch choice since we began the group watch over a year ago? Some shows on both our ptw lists; Bungou Stray Dogs, Cells At Work, Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Your Lie In April (this could be a good one as it's a show many people have watched and have strong opinions on, scores vary greatly for my mal friends), Sonny Boy & SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online. I'd be up for any of these in @inim can't make the next watch. Or what about Serial Experiments Lain maybe?

Well, I think given the circumstances and @inim 's shared interest in Macross, delaying watching that is probably for the best. As for the shared ones on our list, all of those are good choices. Bungou Stray Dogs would be a hefty commitment given its 3 (soon to be 4) season run. Cells at Work, Gun Gale and Sakamoto all sound like a good time, but I think I'd be with you in preferring Your Lie in April, since I keep putting that one off. Sonny Boy and Serial Experiments Lain would both be viable alternatives, heavy subject matter but well-regarded series.
May 16, 2022 9:20 AM

Jun 2019
whiteflame55 said:
inim said:

Needless to say, real life comes first, so do what you have to do and, given that you say it's unexpected, I hope that things are well by you and that things should stabilize in short order.

23feanor said:

Well, I think given the circumstances and @inim 's shared interest in Macross, delaying watching that is probably for the best. As for the shared ones on our list, all of those are good choices. Bungou Stray Dogs would be a hefty commitment given its 3 (soon to be 4) season run. Cells at Work, Gun Gale and Sakamoto all sound like a good time, but I think I'd be with you in preferring Your Lie in April, since I keep putting that one off. Sonny Boy and Serial Experiments Lain would both be viable alternatives, heavy subject matter but well-regarded series.

Ok, if inim can't make the next watch then we'll save Macross F and lets go with Your Lie in April as I always seem to put it off as well.
May 16, 2022 8:50 PM

May 2019
@23feanor Sounds like a plan

Episode 37

It is a pretty great episode, lots of reveals and setting up the final confrontation of the series. We may finally get some idea of what Gargoyle and Nemo's relationship was once upon a time. We do, however, get a direct relation between the Emperor and Nadia as brother and sister. We also get some really interesting insights into how super smart whales were made and into human evolution, like your thoughts on that @23feanor).

Anyway, Nadia gets a slick jumpsuit, calls them out on their BS (they did do a pretty sub-par job up to now, even with all their sweet tech). Then Gargoyle projects the emperor as a giant hologram all around the world. I actually wasn't too surprised by most of his choices, except where he was standing in China. It's out by some portion of the Great Wall rather than near Shanghai or Beijing, unlike literally every other location. Who did he think he was speaking to, some random tourists?

Anyway, it's flying battleship New Nautilus vs. Red Noah in the next episode. Buckle up.
May 17, 2022 2:03 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 38. Great episode. You could really feel Gainax studios helm on the tiller with the space ship designs and colour palette here.

Grandis, Hanson and Sanson have their hero moment in the Gratan, disabling Gargoyle's main weapon and allowing the new Nautilus to board the Red Noah for a rescue mission.

Gargoyle puts Nemo on trial as god. We learn he was the prime minister of Tartessos. It also appears he is controlling the Emperor and Nadia, something I wondered at as he always seemed in command but surely he should have been a subject of the Emperor. I'm guessing it's the Egyptian style head pieces that control them.
May 17, 2022 8:14 PM

May 2019
Episode 38

These last couple of episodes have been good, but this one really steps on the gas. It's impressive to see how much they can do with the battle between these two gigantic ships, and good to see Grandis, Hanson and Sanson get in on the action in a significant way (RIP Gratan/Katerine), all culminating in the New Nautilus crashing into Red Noah and the efforts of Electra, Nemo and Jean to save Nadia.

"You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?" Could practically hear Gargoyle saying this as a convenient set of pillars rise up beneath our heroes, placing them in spitting distance of Gargoyle, the Emperor, and a mind-controlled Nadia who shoots her father in a pretty brutal scene (and yes, this does suggest that he's mind controlling the Emperor, given that they're wearing the same headgear). Gargoyle really does have some incredible delusions calling himself a god, especially as he apparently isn't using that invisible wall to defend himself, letting part of his mask be shot off and revealing the Atlantian face underneath.

Overall, solid stuff. I do wonder when the Blue Water will come back into this as its importance was lauded so heavily before, but I suppose that will have to wait for the finale.
May 18, 2022 3:35 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 39. That was a sublime final episode with lots of payoff and tearful moments (have to admit that I choked up more than once).

So it's human free will over science that triumphs in the end. Nemo learns that emperor Neo is only being kept alive inside a machine. The New Nautilus comes to the rescue and allows Neo to save Nadia who stands up to Gargoyle. Nemo gets shot many times and Jean dies. The Nautilus then crashes straight into the trial chamber and hits Gargoyle allowing Nadia to save Jean and bring him back to life in exchange for giving up the power of Atlantis and it's repository of knowledge. Very Gainax/Anno looks to that scene with forerunner of NGE.

Loved the epilogue as well. So Electra had a child with Nemo, Sanson and Marie end up together (?!) and Jean and Nadia get married.

These past few episodes almost made up for the filler arc, some of which I didn't mind. Overall a really good classic adventure series, glad to have this series under my belt. The filler took my score down to a low 7/10, without it a high 7 or low 8/10.

@inim how is your schedule looking atm? If things are as busy as you predicted then I'll make a thread for YLIA for @whiteflame55 and I for tomorrow and we can watch Macross F when things have calmed down for you. Otoh if you're ok then we can start Macross F tomorrow as planned. I'm easy either way and hope things are going as smoothly as possible with the new project.
23feanorMay 18, 2022 3:44 AM
May 18, 2022 4:28 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
@inim how is your schedule looking atm? If things are as busy as you predicted then I'll make a thread for YLIA for @whiteflame55 and I for tomorrow and we can watch Macross F when things have calmed down for you. Otoh if you're ok then we can start Macross F tomorrow as planned. I'm easy either way and hope things are going as smoothly as possible with the new project.
It's a bit of moving target, I don't have complete information myself. Today's situation is: Let's start with Macross F.

May 18, 2022 4:31 AM

Jun 2019
inim said:
23feanor said:
It's a bit of moving target, I don't have complete information myself. Today's situation is: Let's start with Macross F.

Ok will create a new thread for Macross F for tomorrow. Overall I quite enjoyed the classic adventure feel of Nadia, onto more sci-fi space adventure with Macross F. I did watch Macross Zero last week and loved the animation, story not so much, until the final episode.
May 18, 2022 9:07 AM

May 2019
Episode 39

A really solid finale played entirely seriously and in a completely adult manner, allowing opportunities for the audience to understand implications without having them spelled out, e.g. Electra's apparent pregnancy as she accepts Nemo's death.

What it gives us more blatantly also works well. The Emperor overcoming his programming because, like his father, he embraces elements of humanity despite being fully Atlantian. Gargoyle failing to see the power in humanity, something he believed himself divorced from as he was raised as an Atlantian, turned him into the tyrant that he was, obsessed with scientific pursuit and rejecting human emotion in favor of cold logic. He ends up almost as a cautionary tale for Jean, who spent so much of the series pursuing scientific advancement, but ended up closest to his connection with Nadia, finding a balance that Gargoyle couldn't. Turning him to a pillar of salt in the end for his hubris seemed appropriate. Nemo dies to save everyone and the Blue Waters are used to save Jean's life, a clear rejection of the science that spawned them, and of the godhood they promised, in favor of something the old Atlantians would probably have believed to be frivolous. I was actually hoping for more of a trolley problem than we got (Nadia's mother said that the Blue Waters contained all the souls of the Atlantians, felt like that was an opportunity to weigh all those souls against Jean's life alone), since it was never much of a question that Nadia didn't lust for the power possessed by the Blue Waters, but that's a minor gripe.

I also liked the epilogue. Most of the wrap ups made sense, but as @23feanor said, Marie and Sanson ending up together was... a little ick, since he has known her since she was such a young child. The rest are pretty nice.

I enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected to, and it certainly stuck the landing, which was surprising given where we spent so much of this in filler. A surprisingly adult series with child-like sensibilities. Still, with the filler, a high 6. Without it, I'd be in the high 7 territory as well.

Good to get started with Macross F. I'll probably binge through a couple of things on the side to get caught up, but if Gundam was any guide, I'll still enjoy the series even if I'm not fully caught up on the background.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2901 by jdvz »»
12 hours ago

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

57 by whiteflame55 »»
Today, 6:32 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

835 by whiteflame55 »»
May 6, 6:12 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.