Forums

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (2017) - April 2022 Group Watch

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 9, 2022 6:21 AM

Aug 2016
@23feanor

From what I've seen a lot of the complaints for the anime is that there's a lot of cgi, which is not really a bother for me, I grew up watching shows like Reboot lmfao.

I'd say it depends on what you want from a Warring States show, from what I've heard Kingdom is more about the battles, stratergies and politics. It straddles between Seinin and Battle Shounen similar to Vinland Saga.

Yeah I've seen 12 Kingdoms, it's a shame most Isekai didn't follow that show/novel as an example.

I've watched it all and couldn't recommend Mysterious Play personally.
But it depends on your tolerance for reverse harems and their usually story telling style.
JokerVenturaApr 9, 2022 6:26 AM
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 9, 2022 6:36 AM

Apr 2019
JokerVentura said:
I'd say it depends on what you want from a Warring States show, from what I've heard Kingdom is more about the battles, stratergies and politics. It straddles between Seinin and Battle Shounen similar to Vinland Saga.
Here are my 0.02€ worth of explaination why I opposed the show in the old discussion. It's not CGI or setting, it's story type and length.

Story type: From the reviews, the comparison to Vinland seems proper, it's a "Battle Seinen", i.e. a battle shounen heroes journey with adult characters. Supporting this, average (normalized!) ratings drop with age group on anidb, this is a show for a younger audience. The top review on anidb summarizes it like so:
About a boy who wants to become the greatest general. As expected there is much war and battles, unfortunately those severely disappoint. Strategy is elementary school level, and in the end every battle ends up with the two generals in single combat. Generals are immortal from time to time (handy plot armour) and possess superhuman strength (kill couple of 100 people single handedly in a couple of minutes) which makes the anime seem ridiculous (it first appears after all as a semi-realistic story based on history).
In the end it turned out to be more of a battle shounen with OP characters instead of really about war en generals.
Length: This is a long running battle shounen with a weak first season, and a total of over 100 episodes and a 4th season in the making. So I basically had to sit trough 40 eps of a show bad by even battle shounen standards (S1) to get to the beef. I don't think this is group watch material, it would bind us for more than 3 months to complete and 1/3 of them will be boring (at least for me).

Looking at my "needs" for challenges and badges, Nadia would fit in very well. As would the rest of the suggestions in te recent few postings. In the end I need shows between 2000-2021, and one > 30 episodes.

Apr 9, 2022 7:09 AM

Aug 2016
@Inim Ah okay, fair enough.

Outta those three, the only one that interests me would be Master Keaton, so my vote goes for that.
Or looking at the thread there were a few more shows in the list too outta those Joshiraku looks interesting too.
JokerVenturaApr 9, 2022 7:13 AM
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 9, 2022 8:58 AM

Apr 2019
Regards OVA - Episode 13/14

Epilogue for ACCA, taking place one year after the events. And older and wiser Jean still travels and talks to many familiar characters. Lotta's future is another theme, she comes of age soon. It's fascinating how entertaining boring bureaucrat SoL can be. (6/10)
inimApr 9, 2022 9:06 AM

Apr 9, 2022 9:39 AM

Aug 2016
OVA

Pretty much a check in with the characters ova.
Jean has an apprentice, Lil Sis is worried about the future and Niino has claimed his own future away from watching over the twins, he still has a camera to hand though.

Decent OVA 6/10
Apr 9, 2022 10:30 AM

May 2019
JokerVentura said:
@inim @whiteflame55 @23feanor

Yeah I already watched it, will put my thoughts on it a bit later.

By the way, how do you guys feel about putting this on the list for possible watches?

One of the big seinin, historical series based on the Waring States of China.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/12031/Kingdom?q=kingdom%20&cat=anime

It's one of those series that I've thought about, but haven't really committed to watching yet. I wouldn't be opposed, since I'm generally quite fond of historical anime. If not this, the options that @23feanor gave seem like reasonable choices as well.

My preference for the next show would be Nadia, sounds different from what we've seen recently and fun.

Don't know too much about it, but it looks intriguing. I think I'd prefer it over the others you listed.

just checking, are we watching the 47 min special next set a year after these events?

I'm currently watching it, figured that was a given.
Apr 9, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2019
ACCA 13: Regards

There's some light intrigue in here, but it ends up resolving with nothing in particular happening of note. This OVA really isn't here for the purpose of generating a narrative that keeps your attention, but rather for the character moments and to act as an epilogue. In the former case, I think it works just fine, giving a bit more insight into side characters and a new red-haired ACCA member through which to see the world that they created a year ago. I wish it gave more opportunity to see into side characters' lives, but I don't mind getting to sit more with the central cast, even if it just feels like they're going through the motions most of the time. I like where Nino's story

As an epilogue, it works a little less well. Lotte wants to move on and do something on her own, though she's not sure what, which works fine for me even if it's not a very intriguing answer to the concerns of her brother. Everything else just kind of settled into place and stayed there, with a couple of interesting little actions that largely get brushed off as unimportant in the end. I like where Nino's story went and his genuine love of photography, though with other characters like Owl, it's just unclear why he ended the series saying he was getting rid of the blonde, but still has it anyway. In general, this felt unnecessary, not really capping off any of the stories, but rather providing a bit more of an extension on the ending of the series. That's OK, it's just nothing special.

I'd put it at a low 6 or a high 5, probably just go with you guys on the 6.
Apr 9, 2022 1:11 PM

Jun 2019
@inim @whiteflame55 @JokerVentura

Shall we watch Nadia next and then Master Keaton (or Joshiraku maybe, although we have just finished a comedy anime in Excel Saga, so could save that for our next comic relief show).

I still need to catch up on the special tomorrow. Sounds like I shouldn't expect too much. Good series overall though.
Apr 9, 2022 2:19 PM

Apr 2019
From the carefully phrased statements I parse a majority "yes". So here's a thread. The show looks like one of those smarter kids adventure shows (14 y/o protagonist couple) along the lines of Mysterious Cities of Gold, Laputa or Future Boy Conan.

We have the 2nd group watch group in Yozakura now with almost the same regulars. Thus there's plenty of alternative and I've started MM! today as well.

I'd say: Hey, ho, let's go.

Apr 9, 2022 5:12 PM

Dec 2008
inim said:
From the carefully phrased statements I parse a majority "yes". So here's a thread. The show looks like one of those smarter kids adventure shows (14 y/o protagonist couple) along the lines of Mysterious Cities of Gold, Laputa or Future Boy Conan.

We have the 2nd group watch group in Yozakura now with almost the same regulars. Thus there's plenty of alternative and I've started MM! today as well.

I'd say: Hey, ho, let's go.

Surprisingly, my DVDs have it rated as a PG-13 rating. Found that out when my sisters gave me a ration of s*** for bringing it to a family get-together for their grand-kids to watch. I'd watched it, and d***ed if I could figure out how it got that rating. Unless it for the outfit that Nadia wears. MPAA blue rules, go figure.
Apr 10, 2022 5:45 AM

Jun 2019
Regards - Special: I quite enjoyed this, still a bit of intrigue present but slower pacing, apparently Famasu (district with over sized produce) was a silent partner behind Furawau, but seems they both want to avoid conflict so are happy to bide their time and wait for the right moment. Low 7/10.

@JokerVentura thanks for the suggestion for the group watch, always welcome. Even if it's not on my ptw list I love being introduced to shows I've never heard of like ACCA. I did originally have Kingdom on my ptw list for ages but after investigating i want to tackle the other ancient china series I mentioned before. I would like to give Kingdom a chance one day, i do enjoy OP battle shounen in moderate does (as you know I'm loving Dragon Quest 2020, looking forward to the next episode dropping, it feels like it's been ages since the hack at Toei).
23feanorApr 10, 2022 5:52 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2901 by jdvz »»
Today, 11:20 AM

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

57 by whiteflame55 »»
Today, 6:32 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

835 by whiteflame55 »»
May 6, 6:12 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.