Forum Settings
Forums

TAAF 2022 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

New
Feb 10, 2022 10:49 PM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
The winners of the Anime of the Year categories from the Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2022 (TAAF 2022) were announced on Thursday. A panel of judges selected the winners from a pool of 446 titles that either screened, aired, or were distributed in Japan between October 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021, with 100 titles (80 television anime and 20 theatrical anime) ultimately in the running for the Anime of the Year awards.

Grand Prize
Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (Feature Film)
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) (Television Series)

Anime Fan Award
IDOLiSH7: Third Beat!

Individual Awards
Writers Category: Hideaki Anno (Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time)
Directors Category: Hideaki Anno
Animators Category: Akira Matsushima (Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha-hen)
Visual Artists Category: Yuuichi Terao (Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha-hen)
Sound Artists and Performers Category: Yuki Kajiura (Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria), Gou Shiina (Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen)

Note: The Anime Fan Award is awarded to the entry that received the most votes in the general voting. The titles listed for the individual awards are merely titles the recipient has worked on during this period; they are not the sole title the recipient won the award for.

The Tokyo Anime Award Festival is scheduled to be held in Ikebukuro, Tokyo between March 11 and 14, and will in addition to the Anime of the Year categories also present additional entries from around the world for its Feature Animation Competition and Short Animation Competition categories. In total, 31 entries from 27 countries were submitted to the former category, while 874 entries from 57 countries were submitted to the latter. TAAF 2022 Preliminary Selection Committee selected 36 of these entries (four for Feature Animation and 32 for Short Animation) to qualify for the Grand Prize and the Award of Excellence in their respective categories, with each category awarding it to two titles.

Source: Official Site, Comic Natalie

← Previous Year

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Feb 10, 2022 11:10 PM

Jan 2009
well deserved for Anno both being the writer and director of Rebuild of Evangelion
Feb 10, 2022 11:12 PM

Jul 2015
Well earned for everyone. Cannot argue with that.

Feb 10, 2022 11:13 PM

Jan 2015
i7 fans stay winning
Feb 10, 2022 11:20 PM
Dec 2014
Omedeto Hideaki Anno sama
Feb 10, 2022 11:47 PM

Mar 2014
Congratulations to Anno, a well deserved recognition
Feb 11, 2022 12:58 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Not exactly surprising, those choices. Well earned, I would say. Personally, I didn't get that much into Jujutsu Kaisen so I would've preferred something else but well.

As for NGE and Hideaki Anno-kantoku, I'm not sure if the movie was actually good or if it was simply because of the conclusion of the series, but I'm sure I'll check it out once it's out!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 11, 2022 1:01 AM

Apr 2016
Partyu said:
i7 fans stay winning

Thats cause they are losing in real life.
Feb 11, 2022 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
Revue Starlight's movie came second to Idolish7. It seems sad, but given how popular I7 is in Japan, I'm proud we at least got that close. Congrats to I7 and it's fans.

Not much to say about JJK because I still haven't seen it, but I'm glad that Eva 4.0 won the movie award.
removed-userFeb 11, 2022 2:18 AM
Feb 11, 2022 2:32 AM

Feb 2019
Even yawning is too much of a reaction. Dull, random and tiring choices, like every year.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 11, 2022 2:49 AM

Jul 2019
Great to see that both Akira Matsushima and Yuuichi Terao are getting some well deserved recognition.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2022 4:42 AM

May 2021
Evangelion 4.0 was great but jjk Dosen't deserve it
Feb 11, 2022 5:02 AM

Nov 2007
Yuki Kajiura-sensei winning sound and performance award for 3 years in a row is... (I cannot find any words to describe the feeling)
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 11, 2022 5:26 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
tsubasalover said:
Yuki Kajiura-sensei winning sound and performance award for 3 years in a row is... (I cannot find any words to describe the feeling)
Well deserved....I'm very happy for the man
Feb 11, 2022 5:35 AM
Mar 2021
IDOLiSH7 wins 2 years in a row! i7 is really popular in Japan and has a pretty solid fanbase in some of the East-Asia countries but not so many Western sides ppl watching this, it's a hidden gem!
Some might want to pass it because of its "idol themed" but the story is really well written, there're only 5 idol anime with a rating score above 8 on MAL and the top 2 of them are belongs to IDOLiSH7 (the ss2&ss3 1st cour TAAF award-winning). This series is well balanced between comedic wholesome scenes and dramatic storylines which may give you a rollercoaster of emotion. Especially the drama in this upcoming 3rd ss 2nd cour will be driven to its highest so you might want to catch up w the story right now.
AND they also have great music, maybe check out their yt channel first, i7 works w many studios like MAPPA, Ufotable, Kamikaze Douga etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4ms7uVxO8wVvQoEocz8jw
maki_trgFeb 11, 2022 5:49 AM
Feb 11, 2022 5:56 AM

Apr 2016
maki_trg said:
IDOLiSH7 wins 2 years in a row! i7 is really popular in Japan and has a pretty solid fanbase in some of the East-Asia countries but not so many Western sides ppl watching this, it's a hidden gem!
Some might want to pass it because of its "idol themed" but the story is really well written, there're only 5 idol anime with a rating score above 8 on MAL and the top 2 of them are belongs to IDOLiSH7 (the ss2&ss3 1st cour TAAF award-winning). This series is well balanced between comedic wholesome scenes and dramatic storylines which may give you a rollercoaster of emotion. Especially the drama in this upcoming 3rd ss 2nd cour will be driven to its highest so you might want to catch up w the story right now.
AND they also have great music, maybe check out their yt channel first, i7 works w many studios like MAPPA, Ufotable, Kamikaze Douga etc.

What if im not 14 yers old girl ?
Feb 11, 2022 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
maki_trg said:

Dude, I7 living in your head rent-free? My pick lost to it too, and you don't see me giving everybody who likes it shit. Get over it.

16k posts and you still don't know how to manage your salt? I don't think you're cut out for forum browsing.
Feb 11, 2022 6:47 AM
Mar 2021
Swagernator said:

fine for you then, anyone can enjoy it not just girls, there're many male fans and people from all ages watching this franchise
Feb 11, 2022 7:03 AM

Mar 2021
Swagernator said:

Actually, Idolish7 really isn't for young girls. It's from a gacha rhythm game, which relies on using money to pull cards, so most of the audience should be adult working women with disposable income. There's also major themes on corporate/work exploitation, capitalism, commentary on media and fan culture, parasocial relationships, messed up abusive familial relationships. Definitely not for 14 year old girls.
Feb 11, 2022 7:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The only idol series worth writing home about is Oshi no Ko...I can tell that most of these mainstream idol shows barely touch on any of these serious themes that yall claim that they go into lol
Feb 11, 2022 7:08 AM

Jun 2014
Chiribei said:
Swagernator said:

Dude, I7 living in your head rent-free? My pick lost to it too, and you don't see me giving everybody who likes it shit. Get over it.

16k posts and you still don't know how to manage your salt? I don't think you're cut out for forum browsing.

Thank you.. Dude was straight up acting like a child
Feb 11, 2022 7:46 AM

Sep 2017
Congrats to i7!!! Totally deserved and underrated, but I'm glad fans are getting it the recognition it should get everywhere
Feb 12, 2022 5:23 AM

Feb 2019
Glad to see Hideaki Anno get the recognition he deserves. Congrats to the other winners as well.
Feb 12, 2022 6:59 AM
Jul 2016
Glad to see JJK win AOTY in Japan. If getting some recognition.
Feb 12, 2022 8:55 AM
Apr 2020
Say YES to Evangelion!! that was such a great watch. I remember having to rewatch it and watch an analysis about the whole movie series and the meaning behind certain scenes because it contains some indirect implications. I also love how it ends. I even watched a documentary about the making of Eva just to see Anno's perspective of the show and how it was made.

tbh idk about JJK... it's super pretty (like... really pretty) but the story feels kinda similar to other shonen (but it might be because it's still in the beginning and I'm not watching or reading deep enough to understand things that are happening????) might want to re-watch just to see what's with the hype other than Gojo being badass. well, I've watched a video somewhere about JJK power dynamic and it seems interesting. I guess it's time to rewatch.

I'm also super happy about idolish7 since i7 story covers quite deep into the entertainment industry from just how business work, creator-creation-audience dynamic (like the reception of each other and how they can affect each other. I love everyone's perspective on this) to relationship in entertainment industry, how manipulative, stressful, unforgiving and uhhh... politic??? a creative industry can be. I guess the only problem is that i7 is a slow burn since it covers/introduces lots of characters that start as strangers so it only starts to get deep from s2(unless you're sharp enough to notice a whole lot of foreshadowing and implied content in s1)
"You want to be loved, yet you don’t want to put the work into being loved. And you’re ashamed of yourself for that.

Even if they love your work, that doesn’t mean they love you.

Why doesn’t that sit right with you? Even if you’re all filthy and muddy inside, foul to the point where everyone has to pinch their nose…You’re capable of creating things that’ll move people’s hearts. What more do you need, other than that?."

-Yuki from IDOLiSH7-
Feb 20, 2022 6:44 AM
Jul 2021
Well done jjk and Eva
Both deserves it
Mar 4, 2023 4:21 AM
Feb 2023
JJK deserves it, it has some of the most amazing fights in anime history, and the voice actors are something else, plus Gojo of course 😁
Mar 5, 2023 4:57 AM

Jan 2023
Well done eva
and jjk

More topics from this board

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

14 by Adnash »»
32 minutes ago

» 'Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka?' Reveals Additional Cast, Character Promo

Nioxys - 7 hours ago

2 by notPara »»
6 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

22 by arnicahealth »»
Today, 1:03 AM

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 7:33 PM

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 6

2 by ST63LTH »»
Yesterday, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.