Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 11, 2022 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
The character that benefits the most from the updated animation is undoubtedly Misato. She’s got me acting up man…
Apr 11, 2022 10:54 PM

Aug 2019
So what i've gathered so far is that this movie is mostly a remastered of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion plot so far, following the same story but with some additional scenes? First thing, animation and SFX compared to the original were obviously much more superior, however they made some iconic scenes of the original so much more fucking breath taking and overall the visuals and SFX just felt like a massive fucking upgrade.

Some additional story dialogue and scenes that i found extremely interesting and actually cleared up a lot of the show for me even though i recently finished the original and watched End of Eva, have to be off the top off my head:
• Misato slapping herself after Shinji encountering his second Angel, i don't think this happened in the original but that scene alone made me realised how much in this movie Misato cares about Shinji and regrets being as strict as he was given his situation
• To link to this, (this might be in the original and i forgor) Misato telling Gendou on Coms to have more faith in Shinji and that he chose to pilot the Eva
• Gendou and Fuyutsuki having a one to one and Fuyutsuki exclaiming the harshness of Gendou towards Shinji i also thought helped build of my previous thoughts of Fuyutsuki definitely feeling pity towards Shinji with his connection to Yui, however knows he wouldn't be able to do much.
• I think the scene of Ramiel blasting Shinji for the first time and we see him fucking dying in the plug felt new, i don't remember it being so brutal, but either way i feel like they portrayed getting burnt alive pretty well not that i've been burnt alive or anything.
• The final scene of Kaworu popping out of a coffin(?) on the moon(?) with what i can only presume to be Adam(?) even though i thought Adam was still in Antarctica?

Visuals, said it already but i'll say it again. These new visuals truly went above and beyond, Unit 01 and 00 both look fucking gorgeous as well as some amazingly fluent HD animations that stay true to the original. I also don't remember tokyo 3 having that many defence systems, but either way the city itself was animated amazingly, i think some of my favourite scenes from this movie were tokyo 3's defences merging in and out, and strips of AA defences, unmanned turrets and machinery just moving around in unison was so hypnotic. I'll also say the remastered look of the angels were amazing, Sachiel after the N2 mine looked menacing, Shamshel's unnatural bone movement in its ribs that obviously struck fear into Shinji was something the original show i feel missed given it's his second mission and i think anyone seeing that would shit themselves. Ramiel's transformations were very hypnotic how it moved, the 3D modelling and animation did absolute wonders for Ramiel which the original couldn't.

Sfx were also pretty outstanding. The sound of machine gun fire, missiles launching or explosions sounded meaty and definitely added more impact overall. I will also take this time to ask, did Ramiel always sound so... scary in the original? I don't remember Ramiel screaming, but either way hearing its screams definitely put shivers down my spine, really adding more of that unnatural alien vibe that the angels have.

All in all easy 9/10 movie. Rn things just look like a remaster with no major story changes, besides the few added scenes, so i'll give it the same score as i did for the story and characters, but Visuals and SFX easy 10/10. Off to watch the other movies then.
Apr 17, 2022 6:36 PM

Jun 2012
Cant remember anything about the series but this is just as bad as I remember.
May 6, 2022 4:45 PM

Jan 2013
Rewatching because of Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 coming out recently.
I'm surprised at how much I remember from the original series and the rebuilds.

A lot of references to Lilith, the Human Instrumentality Project, Seele's involvement.
Makes me want to research everything about Evangelion and it's references, metaphors and everything else again, which made me appreciate the series so much more after rewatching it.
May 24, 2022 6:56 PM
Aug 2016
This was a good remake movie for a first rebuild of the franchise! From the new additions that we got like Misato slapping, Shinji's classmates sending him a messages before zapping the cube, and Misato convincing Gendo to keep Shinji, it feels that the rebuild story will be moving in a comparatively positive direction as compared to the original Evangelion story. Looking forward to it!

Also, oh boi, that orchestral OST at the end was pure eargasm. Can't wait to listen to it on loop hehe

9/10
Jul 1, 2022 7:09 AM
Nov 2020
I was gonna skip this earlier but im so glad i didn't
this movie does everything so much better than the episodes and there are many small differences
also i feel like characters were easier to understand in this
Jul 15, 2022 12:40 PM

Jan 2020
I've been waiting to watch these movies for a long time. Part of it was wanting to watch them back-to-back, so I was waiting for them all to come out. And then 4 kept getting delayed, so it's been a long time coming. I finally have access to them, and with this one I'll be watching version 1.11.

I've never been all that into Evangelion, and I wasn't super impressed with the original series. That being said, from the release of 1.0 I was always somewhat interested in this retelling. So I definitely was going into this excited, and I was not disappointed.

The art and animation are incredible, from the backgrounds to the super detailed battles with the Angels. Everything has been improved drastically. It was a visual treat to behold.

In regards to characters, it was just nice to have them fleshed out a bit. Like I said, I was never really into the story of Evangelion all that much, and none of the characters ever really stood out to me. But at least this time around I felt a little more sympathetic toward Shinji and Rei. From this movie alone I felt like I know more about them and their motivations.

I definitely enjoyed this a lot and I'm pretty hyped for the next three.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 30, 2022 11:29 AM

Apr 2016
It was okay. Animation was cleaner. Story more streamlined and coherent. Still a bit overwrought with the Christian imagery.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2022 12:46 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this turned out to be a lot better than I imagined it'd be! Don't get me wrong, I thought this section was great even in the tv anime version but because of the slow pace and old visuals, the show never managed to grab my attention. Fix both of those, add some awesome soundtracks and end it off with an amazing Hikaru Utada song, that's the way to go lol.

In many ways, you can just tell how Hideaki Anno-sensei grew as a creator from this movie and I'm sure the remaining movies will scream out the same message. Can't wait to check the next out, which is considered an even better movie!

Got to love the updated tech designs of the Evas and the Tokyo-III city, very futuristic and engaging.

Generous 9.0/10 (8.50/10) from here. Didn't really add anything groundbreaking to the already-established content from the series, but the experience was unreal.
_MushiRock11_Aug 20, 2022 4:16 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 5, 2022 12:12 AM
May 2022
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa baby
Sep 28, 2022 3:10 PM
Apr 2018
goodsgdgsdgsdgsdsdg
Oct 6, 2022 2:19 PM

Apr 2021
This is an amazing retelling. Sticking with the core essence of the original with the updated graphical fidelity and better pacing.
"ああ。俺はなる。巨人を一匹のこらず駆逐してやる!"
Oct 11, 2022 10:33 PM
Jun 2020
Pretty good update
Nov 19, 2022 7:20 AM

Aug 2022
So this was basically a recap of the first few episodes with some differences. Still I liked it.
Dec 10, 2022 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
Finally rewatching the Rebuild movies to prepare to finish the series after years upon years of waiting, not to mention all the procrastination.

Something I never noticed before was the mixed expectations everyone had of Shinji. People want him to fight, listen to orders, make decisions for himself, and live, but not all at the same time. They change their demands depending on the situation, and while he always has the choice of walking out, he's constantly guilt tripped into getting back into the EVA. I'm reminded of how twisted, emotionally scarred, and wildly broken the cast is. None of the characters have themselves figured out, and amidst a world-ending scenario, they expect everyone else to have their lives figured out as they haphazardly work together to survive constant Angel attacks. Misato made a comment about Shinji's emotional issues will eventually be grown out of, but that ignores the possibility of him outright dying in battle. In the scenario Evangelion presents, the future isn't a certainty, as death, if not human extinction, could come at any moment. I suppose it's a message of working together and sacrificing one's self for the greater good, albeit at the cost of the individual. At the same time, it's a message of putting yourself and your feelings first, making your own decisions ahead of the demands of others.

Yeah, this cast is messed up.
Dec 26, 2022 8:22 AM
Oct 2022
it was fine as is but it lost a significant amount of CONTEXT and the pacing during the first 2 angels were lightning quick like talk about good pacing the first 50 mins felt like a snyder flix
Dec 28, 2022 12:33 PM
Oct 2021
Good...........
Jan 1, 2023 10:55 PM

Jun 2022
I dont get the hate on this film, I know its a recap but they did a great job with the animation/visuals and SFX and it also has some extra scenes which are pretty cool and emotional . Im glad I didnt skip this film like some people said in this forum, I enjoyed it so much despite I watched these episodes last week. Ramiel's transformations and animation were so fucking astonishing, loved it. In my opinion, it's absolutely worth watching if u like Evangelion.

Jan 14, 2023 1:10 PM

Nov 2020
Excellent movie. Looking forward to the next ones.
Feb 13, 2023 5:13 AM

Jul 2022
Man, the animation in the battle against Ramiel is spectacular, at the beginning when he sends Eva 01 and Ramiel prepares himself before the eva arrives and since here in the movie he cannot withdraw as in the anime it seems to me the best possible change.
Apr 18, 2023 4:55 PM

May 2018
Re-watching the rebuilds and good lord the Ramiel battle is simply beautiful, I didn't remember how awesome this was, and I really love how fresh this movie is, some people say the rebuilds are purely commercial but I honestly think it's a project full of passion. Despite the fact I still like the original better, the rebuilds are great additions to the Evangelion franchise and I like how the series introduced the concept of ''what if...?'', even considering the first movie is mostly a recap of the original series.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 20, 2023 11:34 PM

Aug 2019
I forgot how much I love Evangelion, don’t know what possessed me to wait this long to watch the rebuild version but just this first film had my jaw on the floor
Aug 1, 2023 2:33 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good movie, really pleasant to watch

poor child who is trying to get the attention of his father...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Aug 2, 2023 5:56 AM

Feb 2018
Okayy, Shinji is a worst mc i ever seen... He just ride the eva and done... but why he keep selfish
Sep 16, 2023 1:45 PM

Mar 2016
Quite impressively for the first part of Re:Build, the film manages to improve on the series in nearly every single way in regards to both visuals and story up to the defeat of the 6th angel (which I feel benefitted the greatest from the CG use).

To end on a high note I'll start with the slight drawbacks were this to be watched without first seeing the series. First off, it has to cut quite a bit of runtime for better or worse. In the worse case it cuts many of the smaller moments that created character either short or completely. In a way it also made the entire plot move rather quickly and make it harder to feel that the events weren't all taking place in such quick succession in word time.

On the other hand though it did manage to maintain and even improve on some of these sequences i.e. Shinji's first running away. Instead of just having the train journey and the mountain clouds, it had him wander through the night streets, sleep rough, have an improved visual of the mountain view before finishing on a destroyed road to symbolise his realisation that he had nowhere to run to. Another sequence that I loved was when the power station setup was being constructed for the sniper attack. While it did unfortunately cut down on Misato's generation of the idea and her "I'm taking your experimental weapon" moment, we got treated to the grand scale of the project that the series was unable to truely convey.

While I was rather wary of how the CG would be used in this (since we are all aware of the nightmares CG in anime that we have been subjected to in the past), I was impressed with how well it was used and how they seemed to still keep to 2D as much as possible i.e. not having the EVAs and Angels fully CG 100% of the time for the sake of it. It really allowed for some more impressive city shots and to add to the scare factor of the 5th and 6th angels.

Now in regards to story. Majority of part 1 was unchanged from what happens in the series. 4th angel attack and deployment of Unit-01 which had a few additions and the unfortunate removal of the reveal of Unit-01 under the helmet. Initial training with a new seperate simulator which makes more sense than using the entire EVA, although without the Unit-01 head reveal, the human/organic neck bones wouldn't make sense to a viewer who hadn't seen the series or was aware of the EVA's nature. The first major story change comes from Misato encouraging Shinji to pilot to destroy the 6th angel. In the series Kaji was the one to reveal Lillith to Misato, whereas here, she is already aware of Lillith and even has access to it to show Shinji. The interesting part here is the redesign of Lillith, which now has a masked face. But then we are shown that it seems Seele has the original design of Lillith (maybe Adam for Re:Build?) on the moon along with a much earlier reveal of Kaworu.

While it always felt that Evangelion was building up to a grand finale with background forces at work, Re:Build does a better job of showing what Seele actually is in regards to it's comparison to Nerv. Seeing how part 2 carries on from this start, as it is said to be where it begins to majorly deviate from the series, is going to be something to look forward to.

As a final note, in a similar manner to FMA and FMA:B, I would still recommend any new viewer still watch the series to get that additional character knowledge.
Sep 28, 2023 11:44 PM
Aug 2017
Solid remake of the first few Eva episodes
Nov 6, 2023 2:06 AM

Nov 2014
It's just the first six episodes of the series but with all the humanity and soul sucked out. All the most powerful moments from those early episodes are either ruined or outright gone, and Shinji has been turned into a horribly petulant and unpleasant brat. The whole Rebuild project was such a travesty right from the start.
Nov 15, 2023 7:56 PM
Aug 2019
i think this was the recap movie

Jan 18, 8:30 PM

Dec 2022
beautiful Misato looked more beautiful than ever =)
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» The last scene in Evangelion 1.0 is one of the best in all of anime

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

10 by El_Professor07 »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:49 AM

» Can I skip this?

jonnn9 - Aug 15, 2022

30 by Jayby »»
Aug 22, 2022 9:36 PM

» Am I the only one who was annoyed by the CGI?

Flugzeug - Jul 30, 2022

15 by Worm_Death »»
Jul 31, 2022 4:31 PM

» Gendou's Parenting Skills

KelpRings - Jul 27, 2022

0 by KelpRings »»
Jul 27, 2022 4:11 PM

» Should I drop the original and watch this instead?

Igreja - Jul 24, 2022

37 by TombER0N »»
Jul 27, 2022 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.