Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2010 10:18 AM

Dec 2009
This episode had much more action than I expected.
Some deaths were pretty hilarious, Hinata's was the best one :D

But Shiina is my favourite character so far.
Apr 10, 2010 10:58 AM

Dec 2007
The op is awesome.

There was an insert song for a few seconds and then bam! The guy got hit by a trap. That was funny.

TK's comments are simply priceless!

This anime has an epic RPG feel to it.

TK is simply awesome. Best character ever. He is the bro of the season!

Now we know that Yuri smells good.

Shiina fell to a lame trap.

Yuri's past!

The guild looks awesome.

Tenshi showdown was cool.

The ED was nice.
Overall a great episode.
Apr 10, 2010 11:00 AM
Feb 2009
Psychodrake said:
Still, Angel Beats! isn't making the mistake of some (SOME) anime for the past few seasons and starting the story too late, throwing in fanservice and shite for 4-5 episodes.
cant blame those "some" anime coz it is all depend on the story setting lol, u cant possibly feel bored in a world full with mysteries and truth that yet to be told (which is impossible to achieve with normal school life setting lol)

oh btw, i cant really cry on yuri's past too coz i m not mentally prepared for it lol (Shocked)
oblivious is a bliss
Apr 10, 2010 11:06 AM

May 2008
Nice episode was this... I've waited for the op song because I like Lia but after hearing it's not that great... Although the animation is amazing so maybe I'll come to like it after all. :D
Hearing Yuri's past I was shoked, it was pulled out quite well but already in the second episode it was a little rushed I think...I wonder how she died...
Apr 10, 2010 11:13 AM

Jul 2009
Both songs were pretty good. Piano was win because she wasn't just randomly hitting notes COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO WHAT WE'RE HEARING - rather, it looked like it was pretty realistic (for an anime, at least).
Episode was good too. Everyone dying was pretty funny, Guild looked awesome, fight scene was cool too. Yuri's past was unexpected ...
Loads of characters are awesome, except I can't remember anyone's names! There are too many of them! ARGH XD
Apr 10, 2010 11:42 AM

Mar 2010
I FREAKIN LOVE THE THE ENGLISH SPEAKIN GUY
[/url]
I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me
Apr 10, 2010 12:14 PM

Jul 2009
Lesse.....

Best thing of this ep: Shiina obviously. Anime rule # watever: Anybody with the name Shiina never fails to deliver awesomeness

Lamest thing of this ep: Yuri and her goal: Blame her shit on GDO, how dirty and stereotypical.....

So-so thing of this ep: the OP

Overall: More or less the same enjoyment level as the 1st ep, gain more Shiina & some TK, but no concert goodness in return.

Conclusion: Another show to not be taken seriously and only care for the comedy aspect as well as the concert scenes for personal reasons, range pts: 7 to 8 at best. Epic drawing failures here and there despite the superior animation quality.

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Apr 10, 2010 12:28 PM

Nov 2009
kaminakun said:
The OP is stunning (animation-wise). I don't like the song much ...

I agree C: the animation for it was amazing but the song itself was just alright to me

Pretty good episode, animation is really good, especially for the fight sequence between Yuri and Tenshi towards the end of the ep.

lol I love that TK guy. How he just randomly goes off in English XDD Hinata is pretty interesting too~ (the blue haired dude)

-"And I've taken a liking to you"
"Are you..."
NO!"

that part was win XD

Yuri's past was sad :c
Apr 10, 2010 12:35 PM

Jun 2009
Ok, I'm hooked now. I was slightly disappointed with the first episode, but this 2nd one really pulled me in. Shiina is just too cute as well!! I loved when she jumped the waterfall to save the fake puppy! hahaha, who would've guessed?!
Apr 10, 2010 12:36 PM

Jun 2009
ionphantom said:
Paul said:
Lol @ Shiina.

bad ass + love for cute things = love

Just agreeing with both of these!

New favorite character for me. ^,^
Apr 10, 2010 12:43 PM

Oct 2007
i didnt like the opening song that much
the music was quite pretty (the piano part) until the girl started singing. her voice wasnt ethereal enough to match the piano melody.
as for the ending song... TWO slow paced songs is too much for a show that has action in it like this one.

speaking of the episode itself....
it was entertaining, but the traps were lame. the laser beams, ball rolling down hallway, collapsing floor were VERY predicable....

but i found it very odd how they mixed blood (laser beam death and Yuri flashback) with the comedy. just didnt seem... right. i usually like blood in my anime, but the blood in this fell short
Apr 10, 2010 1:00 PM
Apr 2010
It was AWESOME! Best show for spring so far...Giant Killing also looks promising, but other than those two the spring lineup is disappointing so far.
Apr 10, 2010 1:00 PM

Nov 2009
So much better then the first episode. What i didn't like about the first one was that the sudden appearance in a different world and the male lead not knowing what the heck was going on just didn't feel right to me. Now that the setting and stuff is settled it feels a lot better.
It's like an extreme slap-stick comedy, to the point where i might actually laugh because of it. ^.^
KEY thank you again for your selected songs.
Apr 10, 2010 1:09 PM

Mar 2010
I'm really enjoying this anime so far. I loved how they all died (but didn't) so quickly :D Angel is really cool
Apr 10, 2010 1:32 PM

Mar 2009
hell yeah, nice OP and ED
the animation quality is just superb, definitely watchin till end
TK is fuckin awesome as before,

I lol'd at the guy who said "your gonna be next newbie" and ended up drownin himself!
Apr 10, 2010 1:42 PM

Feb 2009
Loved the episode! ^^ The moments with all characters "dying" were all very funny and it's a good way to stop the anime of getting boring. Althouth, it's a shame to know that we won't have any real deaths. For the moment it's fine, but I wonder what will they do when thing started to get hot.

The OP was very good too, but I was disappointed in seeing that we were already introduced to all characters since there was no unknown characters in the opening. I hope this animes doesn't just keep with the "defeating the Angel" until the end and something different happens.

Yuri's development was good too, her past is very sad, I felt so sorry for her brother and sisters. =( I would like to know more about the other characters as well especially Shiina and the other blue-haired guy which is friends with the protagonist (don't know his name), but it seems there will be no time... =(
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Apr 10, 2010 1:55 PM

Feb 2009
My reaction to the first episode: Hmmm, this kind of sucks.
My reaction to this episode: Goddamnit, now I have another show to watch! ><

Watching Angel Beats is like watching people die and enjoying it with a good laugh. Damn that sounds weird. Anyway this episode proved that the show definitely has potential, whether it's action or drama.
Apr 10, 2010 1:56 PM

Nov 2007
This show has some amazing production values - the OP was just dazzling. I still somewhat doubt that it'll all come together nicely in the end - especially since it's only a 13-episode show - but I'm looking forward to the next episode very much, regardless. Bumping this up to a 7 for now.
Apr 10, 2010 2:37 PM

May 2009
Nice opening and ending, great animation for both the op and the episode itself. I like the character designs for everyone and the art overall. The opening was beautiful, I love Lia!

The person/people who wanted to know where they got all the weapons and ammuniton from in the first episode discussion thread; now you know! Proves that you don't have to question everything that happens in an episode, because it's likely that you will get answers later.

The ways everyone died were hilarious.
I liked Yuri's past from when she was alive... So dark, tragic and depressing. I hope we get to know how she died, since she didn't say it this episode.
And lastly the fighting with Tenshi towards the end was awesome.

A fantastic episode, looking forward to the next one!
Apr 10, 2010 2:46 PM

Jan 2010
Overall a very nice episode. The animation, comedy, and storytelling were excellent in every aspect as should be expected of a Key work =P. For how much they fit into one episode it didn't feel as rushed as I thought it would.

The one part that felt a little out of place to me was the scene with Yuri's past, very poignant and well told but the mood dissonance from the outright comedy was a bit too sudden. That said, it had nothing on "white darkness -> 'torch'" =P.

OP and Ed were excellent. However, while Lia did a great job as usual I think I would have preferred that Riya (Eufonius) do the op. Her voice would've fit the composition better (imo).

Overall 8.7/10 for me.
Apr 10, 2010 3:15 PM
Mar 2009
I like how this anime knows how to keep your attention every second. This was a good episode though. It's good we got a little background on Yuri early in the story, it can make for some good developments later possibly.

So far, for a KEY anime, this has a lot more action than I expected, makes me wonder how they'll balance the drama out with it.
Apr 10, 2010 3:37 PM

Jan 2010
God, I love the fighting animation for this series. Too bad fights aren't longer. :c

I liked hearing Yuri's past even though it was kind of sad. And yeah, the people "dying" off so quickly really did remind me of Higurashi, haha.
Apr 10, 2010 3:38 PM

Aug 2007
I enjoyed this episode, this anime looks like it will be one of the top ones I plan on watching this season. The animation quality is surprisingly good, I don't consider P.A. Works one of the top studios but if they keep up the quality they will certainly earn a spot there.
Apr 10, 2010 3:51 PM

Feb 2010
PsychFreak said:
So far, for a KEY anime, this has a lot more action than I expected, makes me wonder how they'll balance the drama out with it.

I was thinking the same thing.
Apr 10, 2010 4:11 PM
Jul 2008
First thing, OP is amazing! Lol at all the traps the team sets off! And I love how the angel has so many hack skills.
Apr 10, 2010 4:19 PM

Jul 2009
A much better episode than the first though I'm not saying the first one was not good, okay? :D

Now I'm more interested how this will turn out in the future~
This is a signature.
Apr 10, 2010 4:30 PM

May 2009
Even though this anime is pretty cliched, Yuri's story was really sad; and a bit realistic in a way.
I think Yuri may have committed suicide, just maybe..
Apr 10, 2010 4:32 PM

Feb 2008
Great episode! Definitely caught my attention more than the first. The OP animation is so amazing and I'm glad that Lia is singing the song. I also enjoyed the ED. I felt bad for the members that had to feel the pain of dying do to the traps. And Yuri's former life was also sad to hear about. Though I do wonder how she actually died.
Apr 10, 2010 4:36 PM

Nov 2009
Well yea this ep was rly better than the 1st episode i do love the op its so awesome <3 plus the animation is pretty amazing 8D lmao plus theyre were hilarious scenes XD im looking foward to where this is gonna go c: and plus yuri's past was rly sad too ;o; messed up ppl >>
rozeasApr 10, 2010 4:40 PM
Apr 10, 2010 4:42 PM

Nov 2009
Taihaku said:
Did anyone else just crack up laughing when that guy was hit with the hammer at the start and the calming music kicks in when he's in the air. I was laughing for like 5 minutes rewinding that scene over and over.

omg that was hilarious XDDD im with you i kept replaying that over and over 8'DDD
Apr 10, 2010 4:48 PM

Nov 2009
flame_tiong said:
Psychodrake said:
Still, Angel Beats! isn't making the mistake of some (SOME) anime for the past few seasons and starting the story too late, throwing in fanservice and shite for 4-5 episodes.
cant blame those "some" anime coz it is all depend on the story setting lol, u cant possibly feel bored in a world full with mysteries and truth that yet to be told (which is impossible to achieve with normal school life setting lol)

wait so pantyshots and fanservice inspire feelings of "mystery and truths yet to be told?"

I DIDN'T KNO THAT :'D

*shot*.... okay, sorry, I had to D:

XDDDD
Apr 10, 2010 5:02 PM

Feb 2008
Second episode wasn't as bad. It's definitely not a good show, but I might be able to watch this after all. I'm taking a liking to the Haruhi girl.
Apr 10, 2010 5:06 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, this Yuri=Haruhi comparison is never gonna end is it....

(really starting to hate Haruhi sometimes these days....)
Apr 10, 2010 5:21 PM

Jun 2009
All I can say at the moment is....

They tried to hard to make Yuri's past traumatizing and it just came out stupid. Why would they assume that Yuri knew where the cash was? And going to the extremes of "We will kill one of your sisters every ten minutes". Sure, go ahead and make the situation even more complicated for yourselves. Throw a good old murder charge along with burglary. It's surly a better idea than say....tying up the girls and going off to rob another house. I mean it's not as if they saw your faces or anything....

The humor is hit and miss. At times it can be very good and other times the joke completely misses the mark.

Other than that I say so far this show pretty good but not something I can really regard as special.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Apr 10, 2010 5:22 PM

Jul 2007
Fucking A, Maeda-san... that backstory... just fucking A...

Tenshi vs. Yuri was AWESOME.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 10, 2010 5:23 PM

Feb 2008
boring....too boring. ill give it a couple more tries.
Apr 10, 2010 5:23 PM

Jul 2007
AidanAK47 said:

They tried to hard to make Yuri's past traumatizing and it just came out stupid. Why would they assume that Yuri knew where the cash was? And going to the extremes of "We will kill one of your sisters every ten minutes". Sure, go ahead and make the situation even more complicated for yourselves. Throw a good old murder charge along with burglary. It's surly a better idea than say....tying up the girls and going off to rob another house. I mean it's not as if they saw your faces or anything....

You've never seen a Key adaptation, have you?

LITTLE GIRLS WILL ALWAYS SUFFER HORRIBLY.
Apr 10, 2010 5:28 PM

Aug 2009
AidanAK47 said:
All I can say at the moment is....

They tried to hard to make Yuri's past traumatizing and it just came out stupid. Why would they assume that Yuri knew where the cash was?

With that logic, why wouldn't they assume Yuri knew where the cash was? They probably would have done that with anyone that was in the house at the time.
AidanAK47 said:

And going to the extremes of "We will kill one of your sisters every ten minutes". Sure, go ahead and make the situation even more complicated for yourselves. Throw a good old murder charge along with burglary. It's surly a better idea than say....tying up the girls and going off to rob another house. I mean it's not as if they saw your faces or anything....

You can't really get inside a criminals head or understand what they're really thinking. Plus, like you said, they didn't see their faces so they have no real reason not to kill them.
Apr 10, 2010 5:32 PM

Jul 2007
Akiyama said:
OP "My Soul,Your Beats!" words and music by Jun Maeda.
ED "Brave Song" words and music by Jun Maeda.

Really he has multiple talent.

I'm actually rather surprised to find out he didn't do the score for this show as well, seeing as he composed all the music for Air/Kanon/Clannad.
Apr 10, 2010 6:03 PM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
OP = amazing.

ED = good also, lol.
Apr 10, 2010 6:06 PM

Oct 2009
The episode itself was for a first part a joke with everyone dying because I knew their death was something that will happen to them since no one dies. I was surprised that Noda was first in the Guild passageway....it's like he knew what was to happen before it happened. The traps in general was kind of like I was watching Indiana Johnes all over again. The cutest one being Shiina's getting trapped with tht cute puppy trap because she has a weakness soft spot for cute things.

The second hald got serious for me....I don't know why but I felt I deep sadness for Yuri's past...those masked men were cruel...they killed kids! Yuri's siblings got killed! Who else felt bad for this? For what? Some valuables? Christ dear Lord.....that was just painful. I feel sorry for Yuri and sad. :( If she did not die by suicide then I wonder what was her death.....Those 2 young sisters and that brother were inncoent but Yuri is getting the wrong message here....it was not God but the devil. No God is like that unless it's evil. Warning tear jerker GIFs made and those will make you understand of why the T_T =>
What I want to know is how come she remembers that and Otonashi does not? The Guild itself was interesting with machines and laughing when that cannon malfunctioned (am I the only one?).

One thing is sure about Tenshi...she can regenerate (fast rate)=>
and has another move called "Delay" that evades and counters...interesting enough and on top of that that knife fight of Tenshi VS Yuri was the bomb of action for me!=>

Chan was a rather mysterious but new character of interest. Explosion of the Guild was well done=>
OP was amazing with its effect and Piano...felt the emotional drive of it and ED is rather slow but enjoyable. Best parts of the OP for me=>
Does Tenshi when her "Guard skills" are on has a sort of shield that deflects anything thrown at her from the looks of this GIF....also the grenades are WW2 ones....right?=>
Other GIF is Otonashi nice save! He gets +1 for that one!=>
Is it just me or this part had Yuri's breasts bigger? Well it's a obvious fan service thing but it was forced kind of at that time=>
Overall my T_T goes to Yuri's past and people that kill children all around the world can go die quickly while burning in hell for the rest of their lives for such a crime......I don't think anyone will stand up against child killers at all in this thread. Episode gets 5/5 and +1 on the score for me for Otonashi's save and Yuri/Tenshi knife fight.
francismeunierApr 10, 2010 6:28 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 10, 2010 6:17 PM

Jun 2009
You're too soft francis. Yuri's past is so lame, that i can't even feel sorry for her.
And one more thing francis, it's "Tenshi(angel)" not "Tenshin".
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 10, 2010 6:25 PM
Sep 2009
"You did well to survive, newbie"
"I guess"
"The next one will be you"
"A water trap..."
"So he can't swim?"

lol XD, this episode was really funny for me. So far I'm enjoying this series =D
Apr 10, 2010 6:27 PM

Oct 2009
HoaRy said:
The OP was stunning, song-wise Lia-standard but overall really good, ED was okay.
Best part of this episode was Yuri's past. They brought a really frightening story there.
Agree with you about Yuri's past it was just shocking and sad! We can all now feel sorry and bad for her tragedy.
HoaRy said:
Their excavation to the Guild was not good, they all died spectacularly one after the other but you already know that they don't.. that steals the tension and the scales are off any rationalism.
Yeah that was another thing that completely did not work out for me too HoaRy.
Kagura89 said:

Shiina death scene are hilarious XD
Agree with you Kagura89 about Shiina's death but I don't think it can be even called death because she fell in the water without crushing anything inside of her body....
thethorndog said:
i actually think that yuri is kind of special since she apparently was the only one to remember how she died. In fact, she might not have died at all.
Yeah I was thinking about that too.....why would she remember all this? I am not sure if she is the only to remember because they did not introduce all about the other characters. I am hoping Otonashi will figure that out.
Kurogashi said:
The part where Otonashi was crawling up Yuri made me cringe, it was like secret fan service, haha, and gave me a hint of jealousy.
Yeah me too....I knew it was a kind of fan service.
Taihaku said:
Did anyone else just crack up laughing when that guy was hit with the hammer at the start and the calming music kicks in when he's in the air. I was laughing for like 5 minutes rewinding that scene over and over.
No I laughed a little while shaking my head and thinking "what is this?" since you like that part here=>
No music though...:(
Monad said:

I'm happy that we got an explanation from where the weapons are coming from but i didn't quite get that "we can create anything from anything" thing. How exactly does that work?
I was thinking since it's earth they can use it must be some kind of materialization that they use with their head's memories and earth as a RAW material.
MorningGlory said:
From the message above,how can it relate to the memory concept?why izzit suicidal not allow to live in this world??
It's obvious you missed that this is a Bible concept that says that if you suicide you cannot go to heaven and be stuck wandering the earth/hell for eternity. This place where they are is kind of like Heaven so that's why I think.
OrochiPL said:
You're too soft francis. Yuri's past is so lame, that i can't even feel sorry for her.
And one more thing francis, it's "Tenshi(angel)" not "Tenshin".
It's not Tenshin? Ok my bad. I am too soft? Yeah maybe but it's still sad about her siblings...if they were yours would you not feel sad?

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 10, 2010 6:43 PM

Oct 2008
Wow, haha. This episode was pretty awesome. :3

I liked the OP very much.

And the action was so good as well.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 10, 2010 6:55 PM
Mar 2008
lol @ laser hall, resident evil xD
Apr 10, 2010 6:59 PM

Apr 2008
cool ~ interesting OP =D

Apr 10, 2010 7:32 PM

Mar 2009
TK = Super awesome. Angel Beats! = wow pretty cool.. The traps were unreal and like something you would see in Indiana Jones... and he would live every time! A lot of funny moments in this and Michael Rivas... if you don't get a gig in any animation over here in America, Japan already likes ya! :D --- Randy
Apr 10, 2010 7:36 PM

Nov 2007
What I don't get is... Tenshi. Since Guild did not deactivate the traps then that means that she was already on her way down there, right? If that's the case then how come Yuri and company did not run into her?

Since she obviously was behind Yuri and Otonashi at the end (despite having the "lead") and was still setting off traps, does that mean that there was an alternate route or that the previous traps were reactivated? If they were reactivated then did the members that sacrificed themselves run into her (and reface the traps)? Because when Yuri was telling the others that they were now in Old Guild the others were still recovering...

rofl am I even making any sense? D8 So basically I'm asking... there are multiple routes to get down to Guild, yes? Even though they didn't outright state it...
Apr 10, 2010 7:39 PM

Sep 2008
was better than the first....
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
May 13, 11:31 AM

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.