Forum Settings
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 31, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Yup, Tatusya is still a badass in this single episode special.

Plot from this episode details about Tatsuya and Miyuki's past as part of their background storytelling. From a narrative perspective, it definitey gave more insight on their relationship. Looks like the episode took on a serious approach to their society but not much changed compared to the previous seasons. Noticable difference is that it doesn't take place at a school setting this time around.

And it also looks like Miyuki had magical talent already even years ago. Well, for a single long special episode, it did manage to capture their relationship chemistry. A bit of a sad ending though.
Dec 31, 2021 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
Rettousei sequel announced
https://twitter.com/mahouka_anime/status/1476953293410775042

BD & DVD for this special releasing March 16, 2022.
https://twitter.com/mahouka_anime/status/1476953544922075139
https://twitter.com/mahouka_anime/status/1476953544943046658
tsubasaloverDec 31, 2021 8:47 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 31, 2021 8:51 AM
Oct 2015
Damn another season. We getting new stuff every year now!!!!! Hell yea
Dec 31, 2021 9:59 AM

Dec 2019
Couldn't be more happy now that they've finally adapted Volume 8, and furthermore, announced season 3! This was crucial backstory for viewers to understand the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki and why they act the way they do in the first and second seasons.

RIP Honami.
Here we go again...
Dec 31, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2020
Thank god this wasn't based on the spin off that was released this year.
7/10. It's actually worth it.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Dec 31, 2021 10:24 AM
Jul 2021
so uhh, the studio didn't adapt the sceen where Miyuki rest on the beach which was one of my favourite scene in the manga series -.-
Dec 31, 2021 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
I'm glad they actually made some background story adaptation since there's so many unsatisfactory development that really needed some of these. Also love that they lessen the exposure on the character's art styles and I really missed the art styles from the first season.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 31, 2021 11:12 AM

Mar 2018
I really loved this adaptation, they really made sure each of the story beats stuck the landing.

Miyuki's death was really well done, along with Honami's death :(
Side note: That explosion from Tatsuya, along with his serious face, gave me many mad chills.

Can't wait for the third season.
Dec 31, 2021 11:57 AM

Feb 2020
Thought they'd only make up at the end of the episode, but I wouldn't have thought Miyuki would still simp for Tatsuya throughout, basically, the entire episode. not surprised though.

saw Honami's death from a mile away (well even Miyuki spilled a bit at the very beginning) but was still handled, well, I guess. didn't bother me

Definitely feels like the 1st season again, which is good. of course, not too into the overpowered stuff anymore, but still good. Looking forward to 3rd season... I recall Miyuki/Tatsuya relationship will only grow...
Dec 31, 2021 1:02 PM

Mar 2011
Jesus God Messiah oni-sama is rocking again.
It feels nice to hear Iwasaki Taku soundtrack again.
Can't wait for the next season.
Dec 31, 2021 1:13 PM
May 2017
So now at least i can understand where Godsuya and the siscon/brocon things began.
Dec 31, 2021 4:07 PM

Apr 2018
Chadsuya in every single adaptation. Well, this happens 4 years before season 1. Glad that we got some backstory on the siblings.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Dec 31, 2021 5:01 PM

Jul 2021
It's interesting to know how they met and gradually become closer and not getting outside of each others comfort zone. Also animation is alot better than the other series and I like Miyuki's hair color and other sceneries here.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 31, 2021 5:09 PM

Dec 2020
Great backstory. It's sad to see what Shiba Tatsuya has been through.
Dec 31, 2021 5:15 PM

May 2020
This was all I wished for.

Finally the backstory that it was needed.

I can't wait for that new project that got announced!
Dec 31, 2021 5:36 PM

Dec 2021
It is really good back story tbh, Backstory about how Miyuki simp Tatsuya, animation and art improve really better than before , cant wait to see S3
Dec 31, 2021 6:41 PM

Aug 2019
One of the best backstory on how Miyuki met Tatsuya and how their relationship increased throughout the special. Art and the animation was amazing.
RIP Honami
Dec 31, 2021 6:54 PM

Aug 2020
The season 1 of The Irregular at Magic High School always had a special place in my heart. Seeing how Miyuki & Tatsuya bonds grew made me happy. People are missing out if they didn't watch this. 9/10

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Dec 31, 2021 7:21 PM

Jul 2017
Man Tatsuya sounded way too old for his younger character design and age of 12 or 13 I think. Rate how the voice actor and director never even tried with that. Distracted me everytime he said anything.
Dec 31, 2021 7:41 PM

Mar 2016
I remember a time back when I did enjoy this franchise, funny enough, but that was when I still just a few years into the anime medium, and my standards have since changed. Drastically. Mahouka just simply never is able to make its settings any particularly interesting enough and is filled with so much inflated dialogue and dry interactions. Also, Tatysuya is still such a deadpan Gary Stu even with the reasonings behind his emotionlessness. Even the action scenes don't even feel like....basic action.
I still await the day when they stop milking this franchise, but I'll probably grow really old and lose all my head hair follicles by then.
Dec 31, 2021 8:44 PM
Jul 2011
This is so good. I want more.
Dec 31, 2021 9:38 PM
Nov 2021
Very fun that he was just God from the get-go. Who needs a sequence where he was less-than and had a character defining moment wherein he resolved to earn/be more. labotomy isn't engaging characterization. 10/10. The same garbage it always was

Also more hilarious messiah imagery.
Lurik259Dec 31, 2021 9:56 PM
Dec 31, 2021 10:56 PM

Feb 2018
Just want to say rip Honami-san, first material burst eps .. 10/10
Dec 31, 2021 11:03 PM

Oct 2017
Rip Honami, she was a great girl.

We finally got to know how Tatsuya and Miyuki came to be so close. It was also nice seeing what actually happened to Tatsuya when he was a kid.

Good prequel story, looking forward to s3.
Jan 1, 2022 12:32 AM
Jul 2008
Now we know why Tatsuya has no emotions. Poor Tatsuya with shit mother.

Looking forward to the next season.
Jan 1, 2022 12:41 AM

May 2020
And yeah he's Tatsuya after all, so nothing surprising he was always like that. Also I remember a spin-off was there few months ago, and now this whole backstory segment and news is that season 3's coming too, so seems like they won't stop anytime soon with this franchise.
Jan 1, 2022 2:11 AM
Oct 2020
Animation is so stiff.
Action senses is so a lot of worse than S2.
They didn't even try to clean frame(in between frame).JJk have lot of smoother animation.

Animation wise S1>Movie>S2>Special

4/10 at best

I can't believe that kind of studio try to animate Blue Lock.They should leave it to professional studio.

I hope Mahouka S3 adaptation doesn't flopped like Index S3.
Jan 1, 2022 5:21 AM

Jun 2016
so badass and i love the story of tatsuya and miyuki at the past !!

this is awesome and cool !!
Jan 1, 2022 5:47 AM
Apr 2021
trash but typical Mahouka trash
I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but what we got still pissed me off. Why do an origin story, only lightly spoil Tatsuya's origin and just sideline him for Miyuki, who is a charisma vacuum?

It would have been far more interesting to explore who Tatsuya was before the surgery and what losing his emotions did to him as a character going forwards than it is to show Miyuki going through the same tired romantic beats that we've all seen before in the thousands of female-led dime-a-dozen romance stories.
Jan 1, 2022 6:44 AM
Jul 2016
Well made and excellently adapted from the source material. It delivered an unexpected perspective from how I read it years ago. The staff really did well in adapting it into an anime and mostly stayed faithful to the books. VA's, OST and Music, and Animation was great. Had a good time watching it.
Jan 1, 2022 8:29 AM
May 2021
Really loved it man. Tatsuya and Miyuki's past in details, which I wanted to see from so long, finally I got to watch it. Plot and action was really good.
9/10 , loved it! ❤❤
Jan 1, 2022 8:35 AM

Apr 2021
I chose not to read its source mat'l to experience its story in animation firsthand. Seeing the Reminiscence Arc in adaptation is a good revelation to understand the history and relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki. This only adds up to my anticipation of this franchise on its upcoming sequel/s.

Jan 1, 2022 8:57 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
This wasn't bad and it was interesting to see Miyuki no obsess over her brother for a short while, but it is nothing particularly good either and is a normal Mahouka addition, nothing since season 1 has been particularly good.
Jan 1, 2022 10:28 AM
Jul 2015
I felt like the fight scene was a bit underwhelming. The light novel gave a terrifying sensation of Godsuya,eliminating every single one of them, not giving chance for even white flag to be raised. Mahouka is one of those that you can only truly enjoy it in novel format.
Jan 1, 2022 11:21 AM

Feb 2008
Nice to see prequel that we always needed for this series animated.

Time to go back and review the novels.
Jan 1, 2022 1:00 PM

Mar 2019
i highly recommend reading the manga for this Arc trust me on this the manga is so much better they skipped lots of events and they shorten some others in this adaptation and also they almost cut most of Miyuki's affection toward Tatsuya because in this Arc she went heavy and deep into her affection toward Tatsuya once she started seen him in a romantic way in the manga Arc but here they almost cut most of it

they also altered the mother's fate and her whole encounter since it was a blood path in the manga yet here they honey the whole thing like it's a Disney tale and they skipped the whole genocide that happened in the manga

also the death of Honami was paced so much more better in the manga
the Arc manga for this was 10/10 while the adaptation is like 7/10 at best tbh
Jan 1, 2022 2:27 PM

May 2018
Good movie. Shows how each of the main duo develop to how they are today. It does feel rushed though.

6/10
Jan 1, 2022 2:38 PM

Dec 2015
Been waiting for this prologue since the first season.

Great to finally see how and why they are so close.
So his mother had that kind of magic that turned him into an unemotional person.
Just for the sake of him using magic. Darn. Wonder if it has some effect on her as well.
Considering she used it on her son, surely she's done it to someone else right?
Jan 1, 2022 8:29 PM

Jan 2008
Well, this OVA special cleared up a lot of things when it's all watched in one sitting, whereas we only got flashbacks here and there in the main series. They really fleshed it out with this OVA. Although they apparently skipped a beach scene from the novels, and some nuances were missing, now that I'm taking a peek at the wiki.

So it wasn't that the mind-circuit magic surgery gave him the OP deconstruction/reconstruction ability that he has (for some reason, not actually magic?), but rather he already had that to begin with, but couldn't do anything else. The mind-surgery was meant to make him manipulate magic such as elemental phenomenon, but the results were poor. It'd be like if I were in school and had a genius level in Art and could create lifelike masterpieces, but flunked every other subject. Then I get some expensive tutoring, but that only bumped up my grades from an F to a D, so the overall cost just wasn't worth it. While technically a passing grade to graduate high school, it still won't get me into the university of my choice without higher grades in the other subjects.

At any rate, the surgery made him technically able to use magic and manipulate phenomenon afterwards, but still not at a high enough level to be acceptable, while the cost of all that wasted effort was his emotions strong impulses for everything except his brotherly love for his sister. I guess it ain't all too bad, because I sure as hell wish I could get rid of my strong impulses like holding onto grudges, or prone to fits of anger, as even a small infraction ruins my entire day and several days afterwards because I just can't let it go until I forget about why I was angry in the first place. For Tatsuya, a bird can poop on his shoulder or somebody could cut him off on the road while driving--and he wouldn't be bothered by any of it, like "meh, whatever". That in of itself is a superpower in my opinion.

Although I do still find it strange that his mother shows her own son that level of disrespect, even after he literally brought her and Miyuki back from the dead after getting shot multiple times.
Jan 2, 2022 7:54 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Its been a long time since i watch this, despite the spin-off that should just been ignored for your own good, previous year, ehem. At first, i don't really remember whats goin on, not even believing the first sequence actually the present and the later is the past and the main story of these. I even feels like this is not 8bit production, because the art and animation looks a bit rough here and there. But i'd say its fine, nothing too unbearable, maybe they'll put more greatness on the third season, idk. Despite that, this is still interesting to watch and understanding their backstory on the span of 60 minutes. The missing story of their relationship that i honestly be questioned since the second season being rolled, its had its story. Miyuki had her great development on these. So i'd be say grateful by that. Rip Honami the purple chick, though. They should've shown her more screen time, not just failed one protection and then died later to the real succeeded of protection. But honestly her tiny spotlight with that formal but hottie outfit one is good enough to fill the gap. Moe gap. Then, once again, Saori with oniisama saying always a bliss to my ears, no matter how many time i heard it. Really looking forward to see the third season ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 2, 2022 12:13 PM

Feb 2019
8bit did a really good job with this. Art and animation were on point and now we’re getting double sevens. It’s a great time to be a Mahouka stan
Jan 2, 2022 12:14 PM

Feb 2019
LeonardoXD said:
i highly recommend reading the manga for this Arc trust me on this the manga is so much better they skipped lots of events and they shorten some others in this adaptation and also they almost cut most of Miyuki's affection toward Tatsuya because in this Arc she went heavy and deep into her affection toward Tatsuya once she started seen him in a romantic way in the manga Arc but here they almost cut most of it

they also altered the mother's fate and her whole encounter since it was a blood path in the manga yet here they honey the whole thing like it's a Disney tale and they skipped the whole genocide that happened in the manga

Why would you read the manga of a LN lmao if you think this is rushed, just read the books.
Jan 2, 2022 12:21 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Nice to get some insight between the two siblings! Seeing the developments from Miyuki's perspective made it even more interesting, I totally didn't expect her to treat him like that at one point. But well, the truth is finally out and it makes a lot of things add up.

Miyuki's mother spilling the beans without breaking a sweat or the straight face was kind of incredible, goes to show how shrewd the family line is I suppose.

RIP to Honami-san. To be honest, she'd too little screen time to tug my heartstrings but it's admirable how she passed away. Man-made, I totally wouldn't have guessed if they didn't tell us that.

As a whole, I couldn't help but feel that the movie was bland though. Hence, 6/10. I'm looking forward to the sequel! Hopefully, it's a tv series.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 2, 2022 4:54 PM

Mar 2019
Marinate1016 said:
LeonardoXD said:

Why would you read the manga of a LN lmao if you think this is rushed, just read the books.

i read both already lmao thus why i said what i said and how the manga was more faithful to the LN than the adaptation
Jan 2, 2022 4:55 PM

Feb 2019
LeonardoXD said:
Marinate1016 said:

i read both already lmao thus why i said what i said and how the manga was more faithful to the LN than the adaptation

Oh ok my bad I must’ve misunderstood your Op.
Jan 3, 2022 12:51 AM

Dec 2016
They did a good job adapting this arc, it was really necessary for those who are anime only for this franchise. We got a good understanding of Miyuki and Tatsuya's past and how their relationship developed.

These siblings were brought up like they are strangers to each other, so, it's understandable that it is the messed up upbringing which somehow caused Miyuki to grow romantic feelings for her brother.

The animation was Ok but I really liked that one detail they made around 21:42, how the wind caused the hoody to cover Tatsuya's head and how he so naturally moved it away, it was so relatable XD

I know it's just a name and also quite normal but I just couldn't take it seriously the they were going "Dicku!" XD

Anyway, after this past reveal I'm really looking forward to the 3rd season.

7/10 for this.

Jan 3, 2022 7:02 AM
Apr 2009
This is one of the better volumes of the LN so was glad to see it adapted finally. Overall it was well done; interestingly the "reminiscence" was put in a different context from when it happened in the novels.

My one big disappointment was I think they really cheaped out on the battlefield scene where Tatsuya is decimating his enemies and reviving his allies. In the book this scene was much darker in tone and was the moment where Tatsuya's reputation and title "Mahesvara" was earned. They did not show this, nor did they show the incident where his own allies were fearful of what he was doing, and even tried to intervene at one point. This is a critical moment in the narrative and development of Tatsuya so it was rather unfortunate that they did not devote more resources into it. Obviously, action-packed scenes are more costly to animate, so I get it.

4kicks said:
Although I do still find it strange that his mother shows her own son that level of disrespect, even after he literally brought her and Miyuki back from the dead after getting shot multiple times.

Understandable that one might find this confusing. Miya is deeply resentful of Tatsuya for a number of reasons. Some of this is revealed later in the story, but just based on what was skipped in this adaptation, I can say that she feels like she failed as a parent in "creating" him, both at birth, and later when she attempted to alter his mind. There are also other complex family dynamics at play.. Of course, this doesn't absolve her at all of being a horrible mother, but she is very damaged as well.
zeeroidJan 3, 2022 7:11 AM
Jan 3, 2022 3:56 PM
Mar 2019
I really appreciated this special. Since I'm only watching the anime, and haven't touched the manga or novel before, all information is new information. Getting a bit of background as to why Miyuki worships her brother is greatly appreciated since we didn't have a reason before.

For some reason, small Tatsuya feels like a shrunk normal Tatsuya and it made me laugh a bit.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Jan 5, 2022 4:35 AM
Jan 2021
it's a very annoying anime!!! the first season was mediocre, the second season was
very bad and finally this movie is the epitome of madness and depression!!! I refuse to accept that this anime has so many fans!!! 3/10
Jan 13, 2022 8:52 AM

Aug 2013
This was an alright adaptation of volume 8. The scene at the beginning is different from its source, probably to make it fit in anime since this special came out after season 2.

It was great seeing both Miya and Honami animated, though there was the 10th anniversary PV.

We got to see Material Burst being used for the first time. Honami dying at the end was really sad. :(

The only problem with this special is that we didn't get to see the terror Tatsuya caused in the battle. Though to be fair, it would have required it to be much longer.

I'm happy that a sequel was announced for this series. I hope it is a tv series so we can get both Double Seven and Steeplechase arcs.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watch order ?

xnub - Aug 25, 2023

7 by xnub »»
Aug 28, 2023 11:42 PM

» Can you watch this before the series?

Geeljire - Jan 1, 2022

9 by xnub »»
Aug 25, 2023 1:33 AM

» Those LJNs should have adapted this just after or close to the first season when Mahouka was still fresh.

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

2 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jan 23, 2022 12:50 PM

» Why Miyuki's mama.. (SPOILER)

sakkyun - Jan 1, 2022

16 by sakkyun »»
Jan 23, 2022 6:33 AM

» Release online

Natsusama98 - Dec 30, 2021

2 by XO2HKIM »»
Dec 31, 2021 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.