Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Period
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 10, 2021 4:20 AM

Mar 2021
Yaguchi's drawings are not the best paintings, but I'm looking forward to seeing his progress. I was impressed by how well he fit into the art club. They hated him, but I think he won the trust of his teachers and parents by working hard. I hope his fellow delinquents will recognize him as well.The OP is not like an anime theme song, in a good way. I like it. The second episode seemed to develop too fast.
My Candies:
Oct 10, 2021 2:53 PM

Jul 2012
How do you take such a soulful and expressive manga about art and make such a hollow anime adaptation is beyond me... its like they made a checklist of point from the manga and are trying to check them all without caring how each scene flows into each other, they're just jumping from relevant moment to relevant moment without giving anny of the characters any depth. The manga is already really fast in the beginning but they're rushing it ten times.

Hell, even our MC is suffering from the removal of pretty much every single thought shown in the manga that could lead people to relate to him more. Also all the technical art stuff has pretty much been removed for the sake of... idk, reaching another keypoint faster.

Also I really don't think the teacher's voice fits, i can't help it it just doen't click in my head...

I WISH i could enjoy the adaptation but it's been a really big miss for me so far.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Oct 10, 2021 9:58 PM

Jan 2014
I was under the impression this was like his first week in the art club not what seems to be an ENTIRE semester? Damn that went really fast.....like awkward fast

Not sure how to feel about that, but sure
Oct 11, 2021 2:46 PM
May 2020
lovely episode seeing the development of artistic antiunity being upheld
Oct 11, 2021 7:09 PM
Apr 2020
What a nice and artistic OP! I was excited to see what they'd do with that since this is an anime all about art, drawn by artists and it was so sweet.
Episode contents though, the talk Yaguchi had with his mom was completely heartwarming. I got a little emotional even though we barely really know these characters yet because of the emotions both of them were feeling in this moment, a huge breaking moment for Yaguchi.
The drawing Yaguchi gave to Mori was so beautiful too, although it wasn't the best I really liked the idea and it brought us back to why he even started painting in the first place.
Overall, great episode!
Oct 11, 2021 7:11 PM
Apr 2020
DoctorWasabi said:
I was under the impression this was like his first week in the art club not what seems to be an ENTIRE semester? Damn that went really fast.....like awkward fast

Not sure how to feel about that, but sure
I was wondering about that too, I would have liked to see the slow progression of his skills and have a lot more time with Mori in the club, interesting for sure.
Oct 14, 2021 2:07 AM

Oct 2008
well well well i'm confused for Yuka...hmmm why am i attracted to her! damn!%(%^*#$
OMG! stellar performance by VA Mineta Hiromu. That scene with his mother was absolutely emotional! thumbs-up for that! i teared-up a bit in that scene actually!
anyways another great episode!
5/5.

As an anime only watcher...they say it's rushed...i guess manga readers are the critics here or entire MAL community is a critic!?
matias067Oct 14, 2021 2:11 AM

Oct 16, 2021 2:21 AM

Dec 2020
Tbh im not a big fan of drawing but this show catch me so up i love the characters and the story can be so good im looking forward.

Mori senpai is so good and yaguchi is also getting better.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Oct 16, 2021 2:29 AM
May 2018
matias067 said:
well well well i'm confused for Yuka...hmmm why am i attracted to her! damn!%(%^*#$
OMG! stellar performance by VA Mineta Hiromu. That scene with his mother was absolutely emotional! thumbs-up for that! i teared-up a bit in that scene actually!
anyways another great episode!
5/5.

As an anime only watcher...they say it's rushed...i guess manga readers are the critics here or entire MAL community is a critic!?

Manga reader here. In the manga his 2nd year did go by relatively quickly, and even more so here. Details were skipped, events restructured too, but whatever. From now on we'll see more colored art, so I'm hyped for that.
Oct 16, 2021 7:15 AM

Oct 2016
I can definitely feel that the story is fantastic, and the episode was great, but damn there's also this feeling that the anime could be way better. It does feel kind of rushed. I am definitely gonna start the manga by next week, cause the story is really fantastic. I guess that's one thing the anime is doing right, making people read the manga lmao.

I am gonna miss Mori though, she's best girl. I hope we see her again later on even if she's in college already.
Oct 16, 2021 7:27 AM
Jun 2021
Really enjoyed getting to see the moment between Yatora and his mom animated, since I really resonated with that when first reading the manga. Yet I also can't help but feel that the overall episode was pretty rushed and felt off at certain points in time. I feel that by skipping certain moments from the manga when making the adaptation, it might cause for certain moments to not have a greater impact later on in the season, which is something I'm worried about happening.
Oct 16, 2021 7:52 AM

Aug 2010
The opening is really nice! Very fitting.

Personally think the pacing is just fine, didn't feel too fast compared to the manga. I did initially think that it was so fast that Mori senpai had already graduated when reading the manga, but the pacing after that should be fine.

Enjoying this episode more. Not sure if I'm just used to it, but the animation didn't feel as stiff compared to episode 1. I did notice more problems in the directing(?) though, like the angles does feel dull.
Oct 16, 2021 8:44 AM

Dec 2020
As a manga reader this is such a disappointing episode.

Feels way 2 rushed, sometimes there's no soundtrack and that makes some moments a little bit weird and idk if it's just me but comparing with the first episode I felt a downgrade in the art and animation.

I did like the first episode, but this one was a 4 out of 10 at most

One thing I did like is the opening and the ending song, such a bangers
Oct 16, 2021 1:11 PM

Jan 2020
A heartfelt episode. Something about Yaguchi saying his draws things he can't express in words made me tear up. The story is progressing at a steady rate, and it's getting more interesting.

However, it's a shame that a show about art has probably one of the most below average animation. It's so stiff, I don't feel like it's animated at all. Just a sequence of stills enchained one after the other.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Oct 16, 2021 4:10 PM
Nov 2020
I really like this anime so far. Especially in this episode I could feel the emotions in the scene with his Mom. I haven’t read the manga so I can’t criticize whether or not it follows the source material or how it stacks up. I just know that I enjoyed it
Oct 16, 2021 5:49 PM

Dec 2014
Really enjoying this.

The pace seems a little fast, they are kind blitzing through the initial stages and school parts, I assume it's because this is all just the introductory portion or something?

The scene between Yaguchi and his Mom was great, when he tried to explain that with art he's able to see things he never could and understand perspectives he never considered before. When he mentioned he never realized how much his Mom worked for the family and apologized for not being there was very emotional. Stuff like that always hits hard.

The scene where Yaguchi gave senpai his drawing was great too. Looking forward to more.
Oct 17, 2021 5:30 AM

Jun 2019
I was very excited at the prospect of receiving a Slice of Life anime about painting, its technical form and the human relationship to it on a deeper level (among the arts, it is neither a hobby of mine nor a topic I'm particularly knowledgeable about at all, but always very keen to learn anything new), but I have to admit this feels disappointingly incredibly rushed to the point of being extreme.

Usually I cannot stand the repeated cries of manga supremacists/purists about how much better the source material always is in every way compared to the adaptation, but as an anime-only I'd hazard a guess that they would be correct in this case, as it feels brazenly and aggressively jarring and noticeable in its abuse of pacing and structure to the point of being comical.

I don't know what it is with the compulsion to rush through series, but fast pacing that sacrifices all nuance, organic feeling, or time built up to get to care about anything really rubs me the wrong way and is like my number one pet peeve in television and media generally. It makes me think I would get just as much satisfaction - intellectual, emotional, or otherwise, and entertainment value, as reading a Wikipedia cliff notes outline version in five minutes on a webpage.
Oct 17, 2021 7:52 AM

Apr 2020
This show is breaking my heart, and I can't complain. Yaguchi is progressing well as an artist, and it's lovely that people like Saeki sensei and Mori are guiding him well and helping him to build an image of his future.

There was this one scene I will love to highlight, when Yatora was thinking of himself as lower than his clubmates after featuring their stuff from the summer vacation. I find it great on just how the world around him gets bigger while he thinks of himself lowly, and that my folk is TOP-NOTCH.

Also a great scene but a heartbreaking one at that was the scene between him and his mother. I was shocked when I saw those scrapes and bandaids in her arm, and seeing that she's eating less than her children. And I can't help but cry because I would think the same to my mom who is unfortunately-

But with all that said, this episode proved to me that Blue Period can not only make me envious of arts, but it can also make me realize of my own future and what I need or should do once I'm on the point of reaching adulthood. In other words, this show is damn greatness and I am loving it so far.
Oct 18, 2021 11:25 PM

Mar 2016
okay i'm crying???? wtf
Oct 20, 2021 6:25 AM
Jul 2015
Is it just me or some characters look like they were drawn by the hentai artist "Rocket Monkey" ntr author especially the graduated senpai with the pushy eyebrows. Kinda bugs me.
Oct 26, 2021 6:08 PM
Sep 2020
The ending scene (*꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ)
It feels like we just meet all the characters and now they're all leaving. We skipped a whole year over the span of two episodes lol. I wish the mangaka slowed down the plot a bit :(.
Oct 31, 2021 4:02 AM

Feb 2019
Another great episode. Not as great as the first, but still a 5/5 (but technically 4.5/5).

The art still feels stiff for some reason, maybe I'll get used to it soon. Even as a non-manga reader, it felt fast but it was still good. I really love Mori-senpai and wish we could've seen their interactions more. It's obvious that she's someone Yaguchi really looks up to. Heck, she's the reason he went into art.

And I like both the OP and ED. The OP had a jazzy feel, while the ED has this vibe that I'm not sure how to name, but I like both ^^

Also, his old delinquent friends are nowhere to be seen now lol

Hope this gets even better!
Nov 25, 2021 11:58 PM

Oct 2019
Quite a smooth and pleasant episode. It appears that the main part of the show will take place in art college, not in high school, since the pace is rather swift. What I did not really get is how / why Yaguchi can draw still life images so good but still draws people like an 8-year old. Does this suggest that he is still bad at drawing portraits?
Dec 3, 2021 8:49 AM

Oct 2018
More of the same from this episode, the pacing is a lot better compared to the first episode and the ending song was pretty good. Nice episode throughout.
Dec 22, 2021 11:28 AM

Aug 2017
I love how the drama is handled in this anime, it feels natural even if the pacing isn't slow.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 23, 2021 6:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yaguchi is getting used to the club but it's already time for the senpai to graduate, goodbye Mori only two eps but she was really good.
Also Yaguchi's discussion with his mother was really emotional and heartwarming.
Dec 24, 2021 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
As someone who started the manga while in single-digit chapters, I like this adaptation. Not saying that my opinion is magically above others, but I actually prefer the fast-paced rhythm as getting good at art does take a shitload of time. Looking forward to more actual paintings or other works to appear in the adaptation, since in the manga those were handmade by actual artists which made that version feel just so much more organic.

Family matters like this hit hard, having had similar problems. Also love Mori-san and Saeki.
uh oh!
Jan 3, 2022 9:32 AM
Nov 2020
this episode was really emotional
Feb 4, 2022 11:09 AM

Jan 2021
I really dislike female voices in this show
Congrats to senpai for getting into art school
Mar 8, 2022 2:34 PM

Jul 2015
Pacing was quite fast there from Yaguchi deciding to go to an Art school to saying an emotional goodbye to a graduating senpai.

Apr 12, 2022 10:41 AM

Mar 2010
Well guess its fast pacing? I didnt read the manga it feels ok to me. But i do feel like there should be a bit more development between mori and the mc.

I loved hoe yaguchi painted his mom and said all those endearing words it almost made me cry haha and i dont cry fast i dunno why i felt that.

It feels a bit odd that his drawings he gave were way less “talented” than the still lives he made? Tho those seem more realistic than the works presented before of the still live works
May 11, 2022 12:43 PM
Dec 2014
The pacing for this is so off. I don't know if it's like this in the manga too but its just odd.

Jun 4, 2022 11:14 PM
Oct 2019
something about this show makes me feel kinda good inside. idk. like, i don't think the show is exceptionally good or anything, but it is a nice, pleasing show?

i knew the mc's english va sounded familiar in the first episode. but for some reason it took me until halfway through episode 2 to realize it was vash the stampede and ichigo's va. me go derp

episode 1 was like the beginning of the school year? or halfway through or something? and now episode 2 is already at the end of the school year? the girl said "last fall we had a conversation about my painting"... i thought maybe only a few weeks had gone by
Jun 20, 2022 11:23 PM

Mar 2021
That part at the end with Yaguchi and his mom was really nice.

I do have one gripe: I know sketching out a quick picture is different from drawing a full-on still-life, but the drawings that Yaguchi did for his mom and for Mori didn't look all that impressive compared to his other work.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Nov 21, 2022 7:23 AM
Oct 2022
Starting too bring me some kind of hope for finishing my art degree
Dec 9, 2022 11:23 AM

Jul 2022
heartwarming episode
Dec 17, 2022 4:44 AM
Apr 2021
This second episode gave me such a fuzzy, cuddly feeling by the end.
Dec 19, 2022 11:00 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the words a his mother were tear-jerking!!! kekeke
Dec 28, 2022 11:52 AM
Dec 2022
I feel so bad for him and his mom
Apr 17, 2023 5:27 AM
Nov 2020
its so sad and im touched
May 1, 2023 9:49 PM
Jul 2016
I really loved a couple of lines through this episode and couldn't help quoting them to my blog to read again later.
Sep 7, 2023 7:56 AM
Oct 2021
This episode pace is to fast i think
Nov 18, 2023 8:26 PM

Dec 2022
Episode 2 and its already kinda emotional.

That way of persuading his mother was wholesome and shows that art expresses more than what the eye can see.

Apr 27, 11:49 PM
Jun 2022
Well , The Drawing That He Drew For His Mom & That Gal Looked Like A Rough Sketch . One More Ep. To Go.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Dec 10, 2021

134 by huacraft »»
May 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 8, 2021

124 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2021

219 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 27, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 29, 2021

49 by Kayo_fujinuma »»
Apr 27, 1:57 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Dec 3, 2021

55 by Ginsbxnkai »»
Mar 18, 7:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.