Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 23, 2021 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well Nozomi is still there and this episode feels like a long buildup for the finale.

There's enough trust between everyone that they are like a family now. I love how they added the rocket to this episode as a showcase of science and advancement in their world. It's like they're moving to a new journey since it all began.

Sep 23, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
Nagara and Mizuho are having the time of their life with the time-space distortion cats and Yamabiko, playing Blue's Clues and mourning Nozomi's death (from last episode's case with "War") like an actual funeral in a fantasy world. The insert song (which can be found on the anime OST) is SOOO good, a bright, light-hearted feeling song to contrast with the solemn feels.

And there's Rajdhani being a total Red Indian-like castaway (that's similar to Robinson Crusoe), brought back to This World with the Jack Sparrow-like parrot to finish their last world-changing project to bring both leads home, Rajdhani is content living in This World he dubbed "Homesick". Transporting all the Nyamazon pallets and laying the groundwork for a dystopian modern world, it's illusiveness in the most surrealist manner.

Honestly though, Rajdhani's many stories and theories make Sonny Boy look like a scientific patent in the making, that baffles whoever that learns of the many distinguished ideologies that question all about human nature and living the reality right at their very eyes. It's clear that Nozomi's loss is a big hit to Nagara just when things are looking good between them. plus with her "Compass" superpower. Without Nozomi, Nagara seems to have lost all direction, leaving him with just a normal compass to make their next move.

Ooh, Nagara and Mizuho are gonna be sent into space? It's a test of their lives with Rajdhani as Project Coordinator overseeing this Project Robinson Ver 3.0 with the rocket being the same rocket when Man first stepped onto the Moon. A final farewell, leaving the cats and Yamabiko behind, it's time to ascend into space exploration and fix This World that God has ordained.

Now I'm truly wondering what will the final episode will bring us to put this wild journey to an end. I just can't wait for next week long enough!
KANLen09Sep 23, 2021 10:22 AM
Sep 23, 2021 9:18 AM

Jun 2019
And, on to the final episode of this show next week. This episode was most likely felt like they're actually preparing for what's to come next. We also got to see Rajdhani in this episode and once again he's here with his mind-boggling theories.

Also, looks like there's gonna some sort of space exploration with Mizuho and Nagara being the crew members and only having each other there. Well, this whole space thing spiced things up even more for a nerd like me. How weird the things will be in this dimensional space. And, I'm mostly excited to see how is there journey gonna end? What are the things that are waiting for them? Are they going to be able to go back to their own world? Many things to look forward to.
Sep 23, 2021 10:04 AM
Sep 2015
Best episode yet after some so-so in episode 9-10.
Sep 23, 2021 10:28 AM

Oct 2017
The flashbacks with Nozomi hurt, she was a great girl, RIP.

Finally the trip back to real world and what a grand way to do so, with a rocket lmao. Really curious to see the finale and how they wrap things up.
Sep 23, 2021 10:32 AM
Jan 2021
One of the best episodes
Sep 23, 2021 10:34 AM
May 2016
Still all over my head, just looking forward to see how it gets wrapped up.
Sep 23, 2021 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
i still don't understand any thing but visuals are new and pleasing to look at and Rajdhani is a cool character in this episode..
Lets see how the last episode unfolds..
Sep 23, 2021 10:54 AM
Mar 2021
This was a great episode. I could listen to Rajdhani talking about his stories from other This Worlds for ages, and this episode felt much more personal and driven by the emotions of our main characters. Looking forward to the finale a lot.
Sep 23, 2021 11:04 AM
May 2020
I still dont get what just happend lmao
Sep 23, 2021 11:04 AM

May 2021
One of the best episodes. Nozomi’s will is still alive it seems. Curious on how it will end next week also! Looking forward to the next episode.
AISHITERU...REM!
Sep 23, 2021 11:39 AM
Apr 2017
So that's the reason why nozomi keeps looking at the sky
Sep 23, 2021 11:42 AM

Jun 2016
damnnn im so fucking curious to what happen in the last episode !!
Sep 23, 2021 11:55 AM
Feb 2021
this chapter shows the final stage of this journey that has me very intrigued to see the final chapter
Sep 23, 2021 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
literally Nozomi is dead or her body is dead but figuratively she is still alive or her will to live is still alive so they will all reunite to a new timeline or New World im sure especially Nozomi x Nagara but they will forget everything that happened in the past and start fresh
Aug 2017
Plstce said:
I still dont get what just happend lmao

It seems, the universe they are in is like Truman Show, so they built a rocket to reach the roof where there is a lift to outside of this universe world.

In terms of technicality though, I don't even know how they can change realms with a black skirt or jumping out of school yard into the pitch black darkness.

Aug 2021
insanely sad episode lmao

i wonder why they built that radio array @~10:26, reminds me of specific astronomical equipment
Sep 23, 2021 12:52 PM
Mar 2018
I ALMOST NEVER POST ON MAL BUT I NEED TO SAY THIS.

SONNY BOY IS A MODERN MASTERPIECE IN THE MAKING AND A CONTENDER FOR AOTY WITH AOT S4.
Sep 23, 2021 1:16 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
What a light-hearted episode. The song at the beginning that conveyed so much feeling with almost no dialogue. The MVP is back and his stories were so engaging. The coming to terms with loss from both Nagara and Mizuho drove emotions to me. The feeling of homesickness lingering in the air while going to the moon and a last goodbye.

Maybe I'm just rambling but in short I really liked this episode. On to the finale.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Sep 23, 2021 1:16 PM

Sep 2021
Sonny Boy is making me get in my feelings. Can't wait for next week.
Sep 23, 2021 1:18 PM

Apr 2020
THE CATS NOOOO GOODBYE KITTIES I'M SOBBING 😭
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 23, 2021 1:25 PM
Mar 2018
I didn't realize I'd become so invested in these characters. This was a genuinely emotional episode, with all of my favorite characters at their best.

And all of my theories are down the drain! I utterly failed to predict how things would play out after last episode, and I'm very impressed. Few shows can surprise me nowadays, and even fewer can do that as consistently and honestly like Sonny Boy.

This was an exceedingly mature portrayal of death and the meaning of life and I have no complaints.

I'm sure God and his minions will play a role next episode, but aside from that I have no idea what will happen. Space as a theme makes me very excited. Looking forward to it very much.

I have nothing clever to say this time. I'm just thankful for this journey so far.
Sep 23, 2021 1:26 PM

Mar 2018
Strollas said:

SONNY BOY IS A MODERN MASTERPIECE IN THE MAKING AND A CONTENDER FOR AOTY WITH AOT S4.

AOT lacked good sakuga imo which was the soul of the show for me, this show is deffo a masterpiece tho, no doubt there
Sep 23, 2021 1:33 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The song played in the beginning of the episode was great and its nice to see Rajdhani back.
Sep 23, 2021 1:37 PM
Jan 2021
Damn, the episode was good. I wonder, how it will wrap up in the finale. I hope this doesn't disappoint. I want this anime to succeed badly.
Sep 23, 2021 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
Loved the treatment of death/mourning, it was so on point, just a light music and everything else was told through visuals, just incredible. That final was unexpectedly emotional for me, the ed playing with the rocket being launched just did something, probably because it felt like the culminating point of a great journey.

Sep 23, 2021 1:48 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Nozomi really died in this world, but at least her "will" is still alive and she's leaving with Nagara and Mizuho in the space, hope it'll work though, Rajdhani is truly the best character of the anime, loved that philosophy part about life and death.
Sep 23, 2021 2:13 PM

Aug 2021
YueNaDe said:
In terms of technicality though, I don't even know how they can change realms with a black skirt or jumping out of school yard into the pitch black darkness.

IMO the skirt and the darkness were one and the same, literal representations of the veil of perception. they were already in 'homesick' so they didn't technically go anywhere, and the skirt was simply a 'rule' of that world which insulated the insular. (i had to go back and check for this one lol)
injokeSep 23, 2021 2:35 PM
Sep 23, 2021 2:20 PM

Mar 2016
The fact that they grieved for Nozomi must mean she's actually dead, since skilled writers don't normally have characters grieve fake deaths.

Rajdhani is back. And, he's lived for 2000 years. I am sad he doesn't want to go back home.

Was the guy who died Hoshi? It looked like him.

So . . . they can reach home using a rocket? I don't quite get it. I think I really need to rewatch this anime. lol
Sep 23, 2021 2:26 PM
Mar 2009
Jeez I didn't know I was going to be expected to know quantum physics AND Buddhism. There better not be a test.
Sep 23, 2021 4:08 PM

Apr 2020
Nozomi's funeral was very emotional and what hurts the most that there was no attendees other than Radj, Nagara and Mizuho. But that is life; would you attend a classmate's funeral? Would you even know that they died?

I think this episode focuses more on "maturity" or "growing up". About how the past might not be what it seems, about the growing apathy that we have as we grow up, about contemplating death or suicide because of the monotony of it all, and about letting go of loved ones as you move forward in your life.

"Nothing really matters in This World, but once in a while cool things do happen. That is why I can get by."

Sep 23, 2021 4:09 PM
Mar 2015
So long and thanks for al the fish
Sep 23, 2021 4:40 PM

Feb 2019
It feels a bit weird to call this a very uneventful episode, but it really was. We start out with a four minute long insert song and montage funeral for the manic pixie girl, because apparently falling off a cliff in magic land is definitely death. Not only that, but we're just going to take the word of a letter from the crazy cult people who dragged her off. This all definitely seems on the level. Oh, then they explain that the cat told them she's dead. Yeah, definitely all makes total sense.

Anyway, the actual episode is ostensibly about the two island people building a spaceship to go home… somehow. I feel like I missed a key explanation somewhere. So the Indian guy who is a font of exposition comes back and proceeds to explain everything. And by everything, I mean a stream of consciousness stories about the worlds he visited in the two millenia he was gone. Right, it's been 2,000 years, apparently. I'm pretty sure that entire ten minutes was just the writer dumping out the various ideas they had that didn't make the final cut. So they launch into space and… uh… are now in space?
Sep 23, 2021 4:43 PM
Jul 2018
Things are finally turning on gradually with their return to the normal world.

But the next episode is already the last and was happy with the end of this journey of Nagara.
Sep 23, 2021 5:21 PM

Jul 2011
This episode was visually strange, the fluidity of the animation feel somewhat magical.

I loved the construction parts, had a lot of the Rebuild of Evangelion scene feeling.

Hoshi became a kinda serial killer, well at least for sure he had a problem. Now we know for sure.

Is poetic to think that at the beginning almost everyone want to go back, now the 2 that didn't wanted, are going back

How disrespectful would be, to have that Buddha statue? If the opportunity present I would buy.
Sep 23, 2021 5:30 PM

Mar 2016
i love this show with all my heart, it feels like home

Sep 23, 2021 5:48 PM

Dec 2020
Aight this anime of the year
Sep 23, 2021 6:18 PM
May 2015
So whats the reason for mizuho to go back to the real world? She said she had stuff to do but i didnt understard. I mean.. nagara has nozomi, but what what about her? Anyway, it was also interesting to see what hapened to hoshi.
SevenCezarSep 23, 2021 6:24 PM
Sep 23, 2021 6:32 PM

Jun 2019
Such a beautiful episode.

There’s an incredible air of melancholy portrayed throughout this episode as Nagara and Mizuho deal with Nozomi’s death and leave to go back home. Rajdhani added to the meloncholy by bringing his own stories and perspective of death in addition to saying farewell to the two leads.

There really isn’t anything like this anime and it deserves a lot of props for that and for being good on top of it. It hasn’t been perfect, but the fact that it is actually trying to say something means so much more.
Sep 23, 2021 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
I hope we dont get an ending like the "Lost" tv series
Sep 23, 2021 6:56 PM

Jan 2011
great episode fuck i was sad watching an goodbye between cats and their owner
Nozomi's death really didn't start to sink in till they both broke down.

at least we got to see the best boy before the end he's changed so much but at the same not i guess 2000 years will do that
Sep 23, 2021 7:20 PM
Great Love

Mar 2019
Aw man, I missed Rajdhani so much
Love him

Sep 23, 2021 7:23 PM
Feb 2018
Strollas said:

Odd taxi is still a better choice
Sep 23, 2021 9:01 PM
Jul 2021
firstawahono said:

Odd taxi is still a better choice

I'm not sure what makes people compare them so often. Is it just that they're original anime from 2021?

Odd Taxi is a down to Earth slow-paced thriller with some cool mysteries you can work out ahead of time if you're paying attention and are somewhat clever. It's a totally competent take on a B-movie plot.

Sonny Boy is totally divorced from reality. That's its main premise and conceit. It takes place in a world completely unlike our own, and follows a pretty unlikely cast on a weird plot that you've never seen before and will never see again.

It's like comparing apples to an LSD trip.

I'll say this, I loved Odd Taxi when I watched it. I want the anime industry to bet on original anime more. That said, if I had to choose I'd pick Sonny Boy every time..
Sep 23, 2021 9:25 PM

Nov 2010
This episode began with a scene that Mizuho was searching for a treasure box. She had a dark rings under her eyes and her hair was disheveled because of grief.
---
The allegory told by Rajdhani suggests you should live the present rather than the past. Having listened to this, still Mizuho and Nagara is trying to return to the original world. I'm not sure where their strong wills come from, but Nagara might want to realize Nozomi's wish and tell Nozomi in the original world that he wants to be a friend of hers. As for Mizuho, she might want to meet the teacher she likes again.
---
Well then, what do you think happened to the cats? As Mizuho gave a blue bag to Rajdhani and he answered "Leave them to me", he will take care of them; the bag is the one that Mizuho used to use to bring the cats.
kuroneko99Sep 24, 2021 1:43 AM
Sep 23, 2021 9:55 PM

May 2021
The atmosphere of this episode was done right, the Rajdhani monologues were extremely boring to listen though, would have loved another way of getting across the intended meanings but it is ok... I guess. The story about Death was related to Hoshi right? It seems strange to narrate it like that

Sep 23, 2021 10:04 PM

Apr 2008
I'll admit it. I cried. There's so much feeling here.
Sep 23, 2021 11:26 PM

Oct 2020
Oh, how I missed you Rajdhani, welcome back. The feeling of homesickness and pensiveness on Nozomi's death was nicely depicted throughout this episode. Well, now it's just Mizuho and Nagara. I wonder how this will tie up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2021 3:44 AM

Oct 2016
That was amazing. I can't 100% surely articulate or understand what happened, but I felt it, I really did.

That montage at the beginning was so good, depressing, bittersweet, heartwarming and heart-wrenching. The music was the cherry on top. The show is still as abstract as ever and I will expect nothing less for the last episode. Hope they end it with a satisfying bang.

I love how you can really tell how different Rajdhani is after those 2000 years. He got Mizuho swooning. We also found out about what happened to the others, honestly didn't expect Hoshi to be offscreened like that at the beginning, but now they're just one of the surreal stories in these worlds and I love it. In the end, only Nagara and Mizuho are left. Can't wait to see how this all ends.

"Nothing matters in This World... But once in a while, cool things does happen. That is why I can get by"
-Rajdhani.

Fantastic line right there.
sKyBlazer08Sep 24, 2021 3:48 AM
Sep 24, 2021 4:09 AM

Nov 2020
it was nice to see Rajdhani again. cant wait for the last eps

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
Yesterday, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.