Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 1, 2021 9:23 AM
Nov 2020
I finally watched SAO S1. Honestly had pretty high expectations. I was curious to know how they would develope the world, the game progression, hidden mechanism, exploit the game to your advantage, connection with real world, political structure. Well.... 🥲🥲
The only reason I gave it a 3 coz the Animation was Ok(I had seen much worse) and the duel fights were somewhat good. and there was a passionate kiss..yay😂. But ofcourse it is totally my opinion.
Will skip SAO S2 definitely bcoz that has more terrible reviews than S1.
But I have also heard due to huge popularity of SAO the Author finally started to write really good stuff and that Alicization is the beginning of a more matured and good SAO. And the sequel Progression is much more well received than the original.
What do you think....
Aug 1, 2021 9:28 AM
Feb 2016
Alicization is about IA and gets somewhat better than 2nd season. For me its my favorite season but 1st season has many nostalgic moments. But I'd recommend you see at least the movie ordinal scale before going to Alicization because its a sequel somewhat good to get into it
Aug 1, 2021 9:33 AM
Jan 2021
If you dislike Sword Art Online and don't want to watch, just drop it.
Aug 1, 2021 9:35 AM
Feb 2021
You should watch ordinal scale first before alicization.BTW alicization is good,i recommend you to watch it
Aug 1, 2021 9:45 AM

May 2021
I don't know why you had high expectations because it's pretty much hated by everyone here.
Alicization is better but not by much.

Aug 1, 2021 9:47 AM
Oct 2020
Mr_Giraffa said:
a true otaku never drops a anime. Also sword art online s1 was good after that I was more confused honestly I feel like they should’ve finished it at season 2?( The one of the fairy I think)
Aug 1, 2021 9:52 AM
Dec 2020
if your gonna rate it a 3 im guessing u didnt like the premise/story/plot so i suggest u dont go forcing urself to watch more otherwise ur gonna hate urself and make hateful threads but if ur gonna watch it then watch order: s1, s2, gun gale online(could skip), ordinal scale, alicization, war of underworld 1, war of underworld 3
Aug 1, 2021 9:54 AM

May 2019
Yes. But the bar wasn't exactly raised very high with the original. Would not recommend if you're looking for anything good.
Aug 1, 2021 9:56 AM
Jan 2021
Ricky64 said:
Mr_Giraffa said:
a true otaku never drops a anime. Also sword art online s1 was good after that I was more confused honestly I feel like they should’ve finished it at season 2?( The one of the fairy I think)

Yeah, i know, i never drop anime, you can see this in my list. But it's better to someone that don't like just drop it and don't keep conplaining about the anime. And for your opinion that SAO should have ended at Season 2 (LN vol 7), you're completely wrong.
Aug 1, 2021 10:01 AM
Feb 2021
Ima be honest the only good thing about alicization is the animation besides that it’s boring asf I had to drop it when they were making a garden or something like that (I’ll definitely try to watch it again sometime in the future tho)
Aug 1, 2021 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
Yes, Alicization I actually way better than anything post Aincard, because Kirito starts from screrch and has a lot of opportunities for character development.
Don't get used to that however, because by the end returns to it's usual Mary Sue garbage.

Aug 1, 2021 10:19 AM

Oct 2020
Sandro8604 said:
I finally watched SAO S1. Honestly had pretty high expectations. I was curious to know how they would develope the world, the game progression, hidden mechanism, exploit the game to your advantage, connection with real world, political structure. Well.... 🥲🥲
The only reason I gave it a 3 coz the Animation was Ok(I had seen much worse) and the duel fights were somewhat good. and there was a passionate kiss..yay😂. But ofcourse it is totally my opinion.
But I have also heard due to huge popularity of SAO the Author finally started to write really good stuff and that Alicization is the beginning of a more matured and good SAO. And the sequel Progression is much more well received than the original.
What do you think....
wtf u watch anime based on reviews?????? Then wtf u made this post, u won't understand anything in S3 if u don't watch sw because S2 explains everything more and better than S1 and S2 is definitely better than S1 because there was good pacing, no bad scenes and the mother's Rosario arc, if u skip S2 then u should drop SAO now and you will insult ALICIZATION by watching it so drop it now
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Aug 1, 2021 10:20 AM
Oct 2020
Mr_Giraffa said:
Ricky64 said:

Yeah, i know, i never drop anime, you can see this in my list. But it's better to someone that don't like just drop it and don't keep conplaining about the anime. And for your opinion that SAO should have ended at Season 2 (LN vol 7), you're completely wrong.
explain pls I didn’t saw no use for the gun gale online one and the Alicization one I guess the movie ordinal scale did fit but still (maybe since im confused about the plot) ((also no hate alicization was kinda good on plot however I found the boss weak asf))
Aug 1, 2021 10:21 AM

Oct 2020
Mr_Giraffa said:
Ricky64 said:

yes I think it's wrong too it's actually getting better and now Unital ring is really cool although I only read 1st volume I cannot say it's better than Alicization for now but it might be better, also Progressive slaps every game anime I know
Aug 1, 2021 10:23 AM

Oct 2020
Ricky64 said:
Mr_Giraffa said:
btw s2 was also good imo it was better than S1, S1 had nothing but S2 have many things, S1 was like a trailer for progressive that's all but S2 have very good pacing and also 2 of the arcs out of 3 isn't bad at all, totally enjoyable
Aug 1, 2021 10:26 AM
Oct 2020
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Mr_Giraffa said:

yes I think it's wrong too it's actually getting better and now Unital ring is really cool although I only read 1st volume I cannot say it's better than Alicization for now but it might be better, also Progressive slaps every game anime I know
Ayo progressive in the game? Let’s go where’s my girl flo?
Aug 1, 2021 10:28 AM
Oct 2020
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Ricky64 said:
btw s2 was also good imo it was better than S1, S1 had nothing but S2 have many things, S1 was like a trailer for progressive that's all but S2 have very good pacing and also 2 of the arcs out of 3 isn't bad at all, totally enjoyable
yea s2 was good gun gale online I feel like it was totally unnecessary they could’ve just skip to the movie tbh or maybe I’m missing sum idk
Aug 1, 2021 10:40 AM

Aug 2020
Whenever I see a post like this on MAL I am truly amazed by the retardation of certain individual’s opinions online
sneed
Aug 1, 2021 11:49 AM
Jul 2020
Why would you have high expectations lol it’s probably the anime most people know for being bad. I did enjoy alicization more then the original tho.
Aug 1, 2021 12:03 PM

Aug 2020
Ya alicization is pretty good
Aug 1, 2021 12:41 PM

May 2020
Questions like these will not always get a definite, objective answer. People will either say it's "terrible" or "good" and in the case of a particular franchise called "Sword Art Online", it's near impossible to tell whether an answer is fueled by BIAS or are speaking legitly.

In my case, I'll try to take as much of a neutral standpoint as I can albeit being a fan of the series. In my very opinion, I'd say it's a breath of fresh air, it's something somewhat new and in my opinion, much better than Season 1, even if you crop only the first half of it. This particular season almost takes a completely new cast and it could almost be called "A new start". The writing is opinionated but I think they executed it better than past seasons, it all sounds good so far, yes?

Well, considering you dislike the first season, the trend is probably going to continue and while all I said probably sounds like it's a completely "new anime", it's not. It's still Sword Art Online at heart and the base of that theme is still there. But of course, there are people who started liking the series from Alicization and that could very well be the case, but it's just a big maybe.

All in all, these posts are usually redundant and I'd just recommend them to read spoiler-free reviews to see what's going on and what's to their liking. There is never a true answer for one's questions when it comes to "is this anime good or not" because answers are fueled by opinions and facts next so again, the best course of action would be that you should watch the first 8 episodes and see how that goes and in the case that you still dislike it, I suggest you to drop the series completely.
Aug 1, 2021 12:42 PM
Oct 2020
Alicization is a lot better than s1 in my opinion.
Aug 1, 2021 2:06 PM

Jan 2020
As all the people above have said, it’s the best to watch this series in the chronological order so that you won’t miss out on any crucial details. As for the Alicization arc, it was really good and fresh from the start, but it didn’t get much juicier than that until the commencement of the second part. That is to say, in my opinion, the first half of the Alicization arc was a bit bland in comparison with the second one. The second one is just amazing, so I think that you should definitely watch the whole arc from start to finish just to fully enjoy the second part of it.

Is it better than the original SAO? I think that it is, for it’s filled with action to the brim. And, well… I just like anime about wars, so I’m biased…
Aug 1, 2021 2:19 PM
Mar 2021
Alicization is worse than S1 and S2.
Aug 1, 2021 3:23 PM
Jan 2020
No sao 1 is best imo
Aug 1, 2021 5:13 PM
Dec 2019
Sandro8604 said:
What do you think....
What do I think? I think you should get off MAL and watch it then come back Instead of asking what we think or should you watch it or some other third thing.
Aug 1, 2021 7:57 PM

Oct 2020
Ricky64 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:
yea s2 was good gun gale online I feel like it was totally unnecessary they could’ve just skip to the movie tbh or maybe I’m missing sum idk
the movie was good, the fight scenes are also very much improved in the movie, the last floor boss fight in Aincrad(planned just before Heathcliff) was amazing in OS, Alicization was much better than S2 tbh but yes GGO was good and enjoyable, I don't understand why ppl say it's bad?
Aug 1, 2021 7:59 PM

Oct 2020
Ricky64 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Ayo progressive in the game? Let’s go where’s my girl flo?
wdym by that, I don't understand???????
Aug 1, 2021 8:02 PM

Oct 2020
Ricky64 said:
Mr_Giraffa said:

explain pls I didn’t saw no use for the gun gale online one and the Alicization one I guess the movie ordinal scale did fit but still (maybe since im confused about the plot) ((also no hate alicization was kinda good on plot however I found the boss weak asf))
the Alicization antagonists are the best and most strongest of all in SAO history now, although I won't say Heathcliff, but Quinella, PoH, Subtilizer were amazing cracked minded antagonists like they should be and they care about more of their aim than pleasure and other things unlike oberon, like a real antagonist, it's getting better I say, even characters and all,
Aug 1, 2021 9:54 PM
Apr 2021
My opinion is biased since I almost never part-skip, but I think you should either just keep watching in order or drop the series entirely. Gun gale has a lot of bad reviews but it's no worse than the Fairy Dance arc IMO, which you've already seen. You won't have any idea who Sinon is if you don't watch it, and she does come back in a few important scenes (though it really takes a while; she sits pretty in the Kirito harem for a while just like the others). There's also some other returning characters that I won't name because of spoilers.
You can skip a couple episodes after GGO ends since they are pretty pointless, but the Mother's Rosario arc (end of S2) has some decent characters and made me at least a bit emotional so I wouldn't skip it unless you hate sad stories.
Alicization has a slow and confusing start, but it picks up, and War of the Underworld is actually pretty good overall by SAO standards.
Aug 2, 2021 3:31 AM
Apr 2021
Well for me Alicization is the only SAO part that i actually really liked
Aug 2, 2021 8:30 AM
Jul 2021
Actually Yeah I stopped watching SAO cause of the season 1 and just heard that alicization was good so i watch it and its was really good even the season 2
Aug 2, 2021 10:15 AM
Jun 2021
Yes alcization is better than seaosn 1 of sao
Aug 2, 2021 10:24 AM

Jul 2020
First off having high expectations for SAO season 1 was your first mistake lol. Alicization is objectively different from season 1, the way its set up, etc. Although its still vr. Subjectively I think it's better. But if you hate the characters don't watch Alicization.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Aug 2, 2021 7:54 PM
Mar 2021
Sandro8604 said:
What do you think....

Don't judge animes by the reviews, everybody has different tastes so you might like something that has a lower ratinf
Oct 24, 2021 1:16 PM
Dec 2020
S1 is better. I really liked it tbh.

But Asuna is quite the women in Alicization. Kirito is one lucky dude ngl.
Nov 6, 2021 9:05 PM

Jan 2020
You can't just skip a season, even if it is bad.
Nov 6, 2021 9:43 PM

Jul 2021
Comparing to first season, yes, Alicization is way better, a 7/10 for me
Nov 6, 2021 9:57 PM

Feb 2020
Alicization has its flaws especially towards the final season (war of under world part 2), villan became cheap, kirito became too much op, lot of fan service and unexplainable scenario, full of boring fight except bercouli one. I would say it was pretty solid till first 3 parts, final part is where it fucked up. But thats usual for sao, even in Season 1 second half was oberon (lowest point of sao) and also in season 2, phantom bullet arc was very solid (if u want to continue u shouldnot skip season 2 ) and rest was questionable. Its always the same.

All 3 Season are of same quality in my opinion, they is no way s1 oberon is better than phantom bullet arc or anything in Season 2. I have no idea why people dislike season 2 and praise season 1

Season 1 better?
AdampkNov 6, 2021 10:21 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.