Jul 27, 2021 11:00 AM

Jan 2014
Then it’s cause it’s American produced animation, simple
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 PM

Apr 2015
guulaash said:
Then it’s cause it’s American produced animation, simple

My Anime List: as long as it's ONLY Japanese... OR Chinese... OR South Korean... OR...
Aug 10, 2021 4:36 PM
Nov 2016
I think they should make an exception for Castlevania because the original story is Japanese and the some of the episodes were worked on by ex-Madhouse employees. The show took so much inspiration from so many different anime that it basically just is an anime at this point. How come Korean and Chinese shows are on mal but not this? The same American animation studio wants to animate berserk. What if they do and it just isn't an entry on mal? That would be ridiculous, Castlevania should be added to the database.
Sep 20, 2021 5:36 PM

Aug 2018
Eprico said:
I think they should make an exception for Castlevania because the original story is Japanese and the some of the episodes were worked on by ex-Madhouse employees. The show took so much inspiration from so many different anime that it basically just is an anime at this point. How come Korean and Chinese shows are on mal but not this? The same American animation studio wants to animate berserk. What if they do and it just isn't an entry on mal? That would be ridiculous, Castlevania should be added to the database.
we only used the term anime as a reference to Japanese animation, it expanded to included chinese and korea. If you are going add it must as well add Family Guy.
Sep 20, 2021 6:28 PM
Nov 2016
Gurifisu-Femto said:
Eprico said:
we only used the term anime as a reference to Japanese animation, it expanded to included chinese and korea. If you are going add it must as well add Family Guy.

Castlevania is a Japanese story animated partly by Japanese animators that was released with a Japanese dub and is hugely inspired by anime. If anything, it's far closer to being an anime than any Korean/Chinese show. Family guy takes absolutely no inspiration from anime and is entirely American. They're completely different and that isn't a good comparison.
Sep 20, 2021 7:13 PM

Aug 2018
Eprico said:
Gurifisu-Femto said:

Castlevania is a Japanese story animated partly by Japanese animators that was released with a Japanese dub and is hugely inspired by anime. If anything, it's far closer to being an anime than any Korean/Chinese show. Family guy takes absolutely no inspiration from anime and is entirely American. They're completely different and that isn't a good comparison.
You do know early Japanese cartoons were inspired by Disney and American cartoons? They needed foreign animators to teach them how they did it and some were English dub with your logic Astro Boy, Big X and others that they weren't anime either.
Guts-ValleySep 20, 2021 7:20 PM
Sep 21, 2021 12:17 AM
Nov 2016
Gurifisu-Femto said:
Eprico said:

You do know early Japanese cartoons were inspired by Disney and American cartoons? They needed foreign animators to teach them how they did it and some were English dub with your logic Astro Boy, Big X and others that they weren't anime either.

Those shows are over 50 years old and are completely irrelevant to this conversation.
Sep 21, 2021 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
Eprico said:
The same American animation studio wants to animate berserk. What if they do and it just isn't an entry on mal?

Yes, Voltron: Legendary Defender is not in MAL database. Neither is Star Blazers or taleSpin. Since video games are being talked, than pac man, legend of zelda, Mega Man: Fully Charged etc. Non of those cartoon based on japanese videogame are present in mal

Also for above statement "stitch!" is japanese take of american cartoon lilo and stitch which is present in mal beause its made by japanese. Its not 50 years old
AdampkSep 21, 2021 2:03 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 20, 2021 7:55 PM
Dec 2017
Its american animation thats why

Mar 24, 2022 7:34 PM

Feb 2021
Eprico said:
Gurifisu-Femto said:

Those shows are over 50 years old and are completely irrelevant to this conversation.

The question of the definition of “anime” is an open one. I think this is relevant in that context: much of Japanese animation borrows techniques that American animators (Disney) pioneered. Still , this a large debate, and getting into it too much here might not shed a lot of light on whether Castlevania should be on MAL or not.

Somebody probably pointed this out already, but RWBY is on MAL. I’m sure you all have thoughts on that in regards to Castlevania’s inclusion here, as you should. It’s confusing, and certainly frustrating. I found this thread after I looked and could not find Castlevania on here.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Mar 24, 2022 8:18 PM
Nov 2016
sakamaka said:
BlueHawk02 said:

The question of the definition of “anime” is an open one. I think this is relevant in that context: much of Japanese animation borrows techniques that American animators (Disney) pioneered. Still , this a large debate, and getting into it too much here might not shed a lot of light on whether Castlevania should be on MAL or not.

Somebody probably pointed this out already, but RWBY is on MAL. I’m sure you all have thoughts on that in regards to Castlevania’s inclusion here, as you should. It’s confusing, and certainly frustrating. I found this thread after I looked and could not find Castlevania on here.

RWBY is NOT on MAL, get your facts straight. MAL only has the manga adaptation of RWBY, same as Castlevania manga. And the " question of the definition of anime " is very much clearly defined and not open at all.

It's a style of Japanese animation. A style that is clearly present in Castlevania. If these same guys moved over to Japan, animated the exact same show there, and then moved back, is it anime then? Or is producing anime a race exclusive privilege?
Mar 24, 2022 8:22 PM
Nov 2016
sakamaka said:
Eprico said:

It's a style of Japanese animation. A style that is clearly present in Castlevania. If these same guys moved over to Japan, animated the exact same show there, and then moved back, is it anime then? Or is producing anime a race exclusive privilege?

You don't even know the difference between medium and style, zoomer boy. There is no point wasting my time with you.

Dude...

anime
/ˈanɪmeɪ,ˈanɪmə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.
Mar 24, 2022 8:26 PM
Nov 2016
sakamaka said:
Eprico said:

Dude...

anime
/ˈanɪmeɪ,ˈanɪmə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

Good job making definitions from your ass then posting them as some kind of facts, zoomer boy.
I think it's illegal to be taking that much copium sir
Mar 24, 2022 8:31 PM
Nov 2016
sakamaka said:
Eprico said:
I think it's illegal to be taking that much copium sir

What a surprise, an inane and a low IQ answer. I would expect nothing less from a zoomer. Go on shoot some more buzzwords you zoomers use to further prove your lack of comprehension skills. I don't expect any brain activity from your side after all.
Did you have a bad day?
Mar 25, 2022 7:19 AM

Feb 2021
sakamaka said:
BlueHawk02 said:

RWBY is NOT on MAL, get your facts straight. MAL only has the manga adaptation of RWBY, same as Castlevania manga. And the " question of the definition of anime " is very much clearly defined and not open at all.

Oh lord, you’re right, I got my websites mixed up.

But the definition of anime is open. All manner of animated productions are often called “anime” by any number of different people and entities. Western cartoons are “anime” to the Japanese. So it is complicated and unsettled. But it’s not worth any animosity. It simply isn’t settled, and maybe it doesn’t need to be. I presume MAL has some criteria, and we can argue about that, but I know that it’s frustrating trying to keep track of my progress of certain shows (RWBY included now that I’ve got my facts straight) when they’re not on here when they could possibly be categorized as anime.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Apr 3, 2022 7:22 AM
Sep 2020
Because it's American animation. Only Japanese, Korean and Chinese animation is considered as anime. Btw, why Japanese studio not animate this manga? Why American studio animate it? It's a manga not comic. Stupid American studio
Apr 3, 2022 7:24 AM
Sep 2020
Eprico said:

Only Japanese, Korean and Chinese animation is considered as anime. And American studio is animate it. Not Japanese studio. Blame at American studio
Apr 3, 2022 7:27 AM
Sep 2020
BlueHawk02 said:
sakamaka said:

Oh lord, you’re right, I got my websites mixed up.

But the definition of anime is open. All manner of animated productions are often called “anime” by any number of different people and entities. Western cartoons are “anime” to the Japanese. So it is complicated and unsettled. But it’s not worth any animosity. It simply isn’t settled, and maybe it doesn’t need to be. I presume MAL has some criteria, and we can argue about that, but I know that it’s frustrating trying to keep track of my progress of certain shows (RWBY included now that I’ve got my facts straight) when they’re not on here when they could possibly be categorized as anime.

Only Japanese, Korean and Chinese animation is considered as anime. Don't think all 2D animation is anime.
Apr 3, 2022 10:30 AM
Nov 2016
Ayako_Rose said:
Eprico said:

Only Japanese, Korean and Chinese animation is considered as anime. And American studio is animate it. Not Japanese studio. Blame at American studio
You're just being selective, you can't make exceptions for some and not others despite them meeting the same criteria. Korean/Chinese animation animated in an anime style is no different from American animation animated in that same style.
Apr 14, 2022 2:32 PM

Jul 2012
Eprico said:
You can't make exceptions for some and not others despite them meeting the same criteria. Korean/Chinese animation animated in an anime style is no different from American animation animated in that same style.

I get your argument but if we're talking about style, then I wouldn't say it's the "same" as Japanese anime. The directing, music, dialogue, animation (especially of the mouths), and certain aspects of the art feels very American to me. I know this is based on a Japanese property and has a Japanese dub and everything, but still the vast majority of the core staff who created it is American and it shows. I honestly don't think it's closer to traditional "anime" than many of the Korean and Chinese shows on MAL. I wouldn't really be against Castlevania being added, just explaining why I think it is the way it is.
Phoebe3315Apr 14, 2022 2:37 PM
Apr 14, 2022 5:32 PM
Nov 2016
Phoebe3315 said:
Eprico said:
You can't make exceptions for some and not others despite them meeting the same criteria. Korean/Chinese animation animated in an anime style is no different from American animation animated in that same style.

I get your argument but if we're talking about style, then I wouldn't say it's the "same" as Japanese anime. The directing, music, dialogue, animation (especially of the mouths), and certain aspects of the art feels very American to me. I know this is based on a Japanese property and has a Japanese dub and everything, but still the vast majority of the core staff who created it is American and it shows. I honestly don't think it's closer to traditional "anime" than many of the Korean and Chinese shows on MAL. I wouldn't really be against Castlevania being added, just explaining why I think it is the way it is.
Yeah but it's still clear what they're going for. There a subtleties in Chinese animation that make it clear that it's Chinese but it's still anime to me
Apr 14, 2022 5:37 PM
Mar 2022
Gurifisu-Femto said:
Eprico said:
If they added Family Guy, Fullmetal would finally be dethroned from #1.
Apr 19, 2022 9:55 PM

Aug 2018
Buccaneer said:
Gurifisu-Femto said:
If they added Family Guy, Fullmetal would finally be dethroned from #1.
I would put SouthPark and Batman TAS ahead of Family Guy
Oct 19, 2022 5:57 AM
Apr 2020
Because people who made mal are eastern only selective while they SHOULD include some anime style western animated series, chinese or korean should never be included here
May 6, 2023 9:36 PM
Jan 2021
From what I’ve seen, I feel like the definition of anime is just: animations made by japan. There of course is a distinct style we associate as anime but there are many shows that don’t look at all anime but are considered that. 🫡
Jul 12, 2023 9:07 PM
Jul 2020
Should add all animations. Anime is a japanese word for animation, so technically speaking all animations are called anime by Japanese people. At the very least, should add animations that are inspired by Japanese animations, such as Avatar. 

From then on, I'd also like to see cartoons to be added, thank you very much. Would make my life easier adding stuff to my list so I don't rewatch the same thing from 1990s or early 2000s. Plus there would be more traffic to this site if you did so. Might as well do it since you don't pay your workers which are mainly volunteers and all ad money and data selling to advertisers money go all to the owner(s).

More topics from this board

» So, it’s not an anime; however MAL sends out an email about purchasing the blu ray?

Eva1530 - Jul 21, 2022

3 by NicDwolfwood »»
Jul 21, 2022 9:38 PM

» Why Japanese studio are not animate this manga?

Ayako_Rose - Apr 3, 2022

5 by Adampk »»
Apr 3, 2022 11:19 AM

» Where is volume 2?

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 7, 2021

2 by AcbSnakeDemon »»
Sep 3, 2021 7:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.