Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2021 6:34 PM
Nov 2017
I couldn't find a satisfactory answer in English so I somehow ended down this rabbit hole of Japanese internet history, which was much more entertaining than I originally thought it would be. I don't normally try to explain Japanese concepts in English, so hopefully my explanation isn't too convoluted.

A simple Google search led me to these 2 pages:

https://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E4%BF%BA%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB
https://www.tobu-satellite.jp/oregairuryakusyou-naze/

Guile:
Is everyone familiar with this "Go home and be a family man" Guile meme from the Street Fighter series?

The Japanese version of this phrase seems to be the origin of Oregairu, or more specifically, 俺ガイル. 俺 = ore = I/me, ガイル = gairu = Guile

So in the Japanese version, it says:

お前にも家族がいるだろう (translation: You probably have a family as well)
OR お前にも家族ガイルだろう

Both がいる and ガイル can be read as gairu.

EDIT: I should have specified that ガイル (written in katakana) means that it's the name Guile, whereas がいる (written in hiragana) would be a normal grammar structure. And in Japanese, the abbreviated name is specifically written as 俺ガイル.

The specific origin of the phrase 俺ガイル isn't too clear, but if we extrapolate from the above, then Guile is saying "I also have a family" or にも家族がいる =俺ガイル = I'm Guile.

So this is where the members of 2channel (sort of like the Japanese equivalent of 4chan/reddit) thought it would be funny to append this double meaning phrase 俺ガイル (oregairu) to just about anything else in the same way we would use meme phrases.

Further research into this phrase seems to show that it doesn't have any particular meaning, rather it's just funny/dumb way of saying something (similar to how people might imitate how Yoda from Star Wars speak).

Name selection process:
Because the original name of the light novel was too long, the author's manager took it to twitter to find suggestions for an abbreviated name. I had to use the Wayback Machine to find the original blog post from 2011:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120712015554/http://d.hatena.ne.jp/watariwataru/20110215/1297794528

In this blog post the author goes through the 57 possible names suggested to him, and concluded that はまち (hamachi) and 俺ガイル (oregairu) were his two favorites but also said that he'll leave it up to the fans to say whatever name they see fit (although it appears that oregairu eventually became the official name).

Take these explanations with a grain of salt, as I'm actually not too knowledgeable about this series and am only trying to translate the author's thoughts based from the articles linked.

Hamachi basically means a young Japanese amberjack fish, to signify that the protagonist is still young and in the process of growing up.

Oregairu basically means "I'm here," or in the context of the novel's protagonist, "I've been there, done that too" or "That happened to me as well." The author also said he liked the simplicity of it, and judging from his age I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Street Fighter fan that grew up with the 1990's arcade era. On the same note, I wouldn't be surprised if a big portion of his fans at that time also grew up in the Street Fighter arcade era, along with 2channel and its slang, thus helping Oregairu pick up faster than any of the other names.

Bonus: Another one of the suggested names was 俺のラブはガイル (translation: My Love is Guile) to which the author responded with どんだけガイル好きだよ (translation: Holy crap how much do you guys love Guile!?).
TestosterownJul 21, 2021 12:12 PM
Jul 20, 2021 6:55 PM

Nov 2020
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Jul 20, 2021 6:58 PM
Dec 2020
SOMEBODY GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL🏅!! I wouldn't have thought this much about it or wouldn't've dug this deep but damn ya really did it huh- Also i was planning on watching this series for a long time since it's on netflix as well and now imma watch it right away or i'll feel like i'm disrespecting yo hardwork (◉ ω ◉)
Jul 20, 2021 7:13 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Wow this is some real in depth effort, give yourself a pat on the back friend. I'd never even noticed that the show's name doesn't have a proper/direct English dub translation, this is some damn interesting stuff😎👍.
Jul 20, 2021 7:30 PM
Nov 2020
thanks for sharing!!
Jul 20, 2021 7:38 PM
Oct 2020
Ur hard work is much appreciated
Thanks man
Blah blah blah blah .... So annoying. Are you bastards in heat or something?
- Sakata gintoki
Jul 20, 2021 8:05 PM
Jun 2021
Appreciate ur hard work man, a true hero
Jul 20, 2021 8:07 PM
Mar 2021
momentie said:
Wow this is some real in depth effort, give yourself a pat on the back friend. I'd never even noticed that the show's name doesn't have a proper/direct English dub translation, this is some damn interesting stuff😎👍.
I gotta ask my friend, why’d you give HoriMiya a 6.5?
Jul 20, 2021 8:36 PM
Jan 2021
this is very pog my guy
Jul 20, 2021 9:13 PM

Dec 2015
this man put in so much work just for us, wow thank you
Jul 20, 2021 10:40 PM

Oct 2020
Testosterown said:
I couldn't find a satisfactory answer in English so I somehow ended down this rabbit hole of Japanese internet history, which was much more entertaining than I originally thought it would be. I don't normally try to explain Japanese concepts in English, so hopefully my explanation isn't too convoluted.

A simple Google search led me to these 2 pages:

https://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E4%BF%BA%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB
https://www.tobu-satellite.jp/oregairuryakusyou-naze/

Guile:
Is everyone familiar with this "Go home and be a family man" Guile meme from the Street Fighter series?

The Japanese version of this phrase seems to be the origin of Oregairu, or more specifically, 俺ガイル. 俺 = ore = I/me, ガイル = gairu = Guile

So in the Japanese version, it says:

お前にも家族がいるだろう (translation: You probably have a family as well)
OR お前にも家族ガイルだろう

Both がいる and ガイル can be read as gairu.

The specific origin of the phrase 俺ガイル isn't too clear, but if we extrapolate from the above, then Guile is saying "I also have a family" or にも家族がいる =俺ガイル = I'm Guile.

So this is where the members of 2channel (sort of like the Japanese equivalent of 4chan/reddit) thought it would be funny to append this double meaning phrase 俺ガイル (oregairu) to just about anything else in the same way we would use meme phrases.

Further research into this phrase seems to show that it doesn't have any particular meaning, rather it's just funny/dumb way of saying something (similar to how people might imitate how Yoda from Star Wars speak).

Name selection process:
Because the original name of the light novel was too long, the author's manager took it to twitter to find suggestions for an abbreviated name. I had to use the Wayback Machine to find the original blog post from 2011:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120712015554/http://d.hatena.ne.jp/watariwataru/20110215/1297794528

In this blog post the author goes through the 57 possible names suggested to him, and concluded that はまち (hamachi) and 俺ガイル (oregairu) were his two favorites but also said that he'll leave it up to the fans to say whatever name they see fit (although it appears that oregairu eventually became the official name).

Take these explanations with a grain of salt, as I'm actually not too knowledgeable about this series and am only trying to translate the author's thoughts based from the articles linked.

Hamachi basically means a young Japanese amberjack fish, to signify that the protagonist is still young and in the process of growing up.

Oregairu basically means "I'm here," or in the context of the novel's protagonist, "I've been there, done that too" or "That happened to me as well." The author also said he liked the simplicity of it, and judging from his age I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Street Fighter fan that grew up with the 1990's arcade era. On the same note, I wouldn't be surprised if a big portion of his fans at that time also grew up in the Street Fighter arcade era, along with 2channel and its slang, thus helping Oregairu pick up faster than any of the other names.

Bonus: Another one of the suggested names was 俺のラブはガイル (translation: My Love is Guile) to which the author responded with どんだけガイル好きだよ (translation: Holy crap how much do you guys love Guile!?).
U r really great bro, thanks for sharing this 😎😎 Now i can also be cool by saying this to my fellow nearby Oregairu fans
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 21, 2021 12:35 AM
May 2019
Good articles like this are what MAL needs, very good!
Jul 21, 2021 2:19 AM
Jul 2020
It was just natural to me bc "Yahari ORE no seishun no love comedy ha machiGAteIRU"
Jul 21, 2021 5:52 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
ishoo-sama said:
momentie said:

Feel free to read the review buddy😎, to be brief, the production values, while not bad clearly don't fit the narritive, the tone and direction are that of a serious romance or drama yet we're present with a ligth hearted romcom.

Furthermore while everyone got uber hyped about them rushing through the likes of the main duo getting together etc, they don't actually do anything with that new status quo.

The OST is fine but doesn't really fit alot of the time, and the art style, while I appreciated for homaging the manga, is generally animated pretty cheaply(a ridiculous reliance of chibi forms) with only about 3 backgrounds for 80+% of the show, which would be fine in some circumstances but doesn't match the tone they bizarely choose, and gives the whole thing a miss matched feel.

All told I really liked it but from an objective standpoint it's just weak, again I'm much more detailed in the proper review, I don't want to mess up this thread with walls of text 😊👍.
Jul 21, 2021 11:16 AM
Nov 2017
IamTaki07 said:
It was just natural to me bc "Yahari ORE no seishun no love comedy ha machiGAteIRU"

So basically this was the best I explanation I could find in English, which really bugged me because I'm used to the way Japanese people abbreviate things (games specifically) and it's usually much more straight forward. The light novels that I have read also aren't this complicated.

Smash Brothers =スマッシュブラザーズ = Sumasshu Burazaazu = Suma Bura
PlayStation 5 = プレイステーション5 = Purei Suteeshonn 5 = Pure Sute 5

They usually just take the first bits of each word and shorten it that way.

To get something like Oregairu would be like if I started shortening "Game of Thrones" to "me hoes"
Jul 21, 2021 1:14 PM
Jul 2020
Testosterown said:
IamTaki07 said:

So basically this was the best I explanation I could find in English, which really bugged me because I'm used to the way Japanese people abbreviate things (games specifically) and it's usually much more straight forward. The light novels that I have read also aren't this complicated.

Smash Brothers =スマッシュブラザーズ = Sumasshu Burazaazu = Suma Bura
PlayStation 5 = プレイステーション5 = Purei Suteeshonn 5 = Pure Sute 5

They usually just take the first bits of each word and shorten it that way.

To get something like Oregairu would be like if I started shortening "Game of Thrones" to "me hoes"

It's more like taking only the strong phonetic sounds than randomly selecting parts, but still learning Japanese so I might be wrong too

And Oregairu isn't the only title that uses this form though, but I can't remember any example by now
Jul 21, 2021 3:14 PM

Jul 2016
Thank you for this! Reading your post was really enjoyable. I sometimes wondered where the name might come from and I finally got the answer :)
Jul 22, 2021 12:46 AM
Mar 2021
momentie said:
ishoo-sama said:

Feel free to read the review buddy😎, to be brief, the production values, while not bad clearly don't fit the narritive, the tone and direction are that of a serious romance or drama yet we're present with a ligth hearted romcom.

Furthermore while everyone got uber hyped about them rushing through the likes of the main duo getting together etc, they don't actually do anything with that new status quo.

The OST is fine but doesn't really fit alot of the time, and the art style, while I appreciated for homaging the manga, is generally animated pretty cheaply(a ridiculous reliance of chibi forms) with only about 3 backgrounds for 80+% of the show, which would be fine in some circumstances but doesn't match the tone they bizarely choose, and gives the whole thing a miss matched feel.

All told I really liked it but from an objective standpoint it's just weak, again I'm much more detailed in the proper review, I don't want to mess up this thread with walls of text 😊👍.

*SPOILER SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE SHOW*
Ahh, I understand. Honestly, I couldn’t agree more with what you said about the tone. I was totally expecting something like a tear jerker, and was (a little disappointed when it was just light hearted all around... especially near the end, with the point when Miyamura returns and the snow scene.
Jul 22, 2021 3:35 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
ishoo-sama said:
momentie said:

Ahh, I understand. Honestly, I couldn’t agree more with what you said about the tone. I was totally expecting something like a tear jerker, and was (a little disappointed when it was just light hearted all around... especially near the end, with the point when Miyamura returns and the snow scene.

I thougth I was pretty spoiler free 😂 but ya tone was definitely the biggest issue, it was genuinely really hard to tell what It wanted to be at any one given time. Again still fun just a shame it couldn't of been a little bit more😊👍.
Jul 22, 2021 3:37 AM
Mar 2021
momentie said:
ishoo-sama said:

I thougth I was pretty spoiler free 😂 but ya tone was definitely the biggest issue, it was genuinely really hard to tell what It wanted to be at any one given time. Again still fun just a shame it couldn't of been a little bit more😊👍.
agreed. and the spoiler warning isn’t for you lol i didn’t want to talk about the scenes and have it spoiled for someone, yk?
Jul 22, 2021 3:39 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
ishoo-sama said:
momentie said:

agreed. and the spoiler warning isn’t for you lol i didn’t want to talk about the scenes and have it spoiled for someone, yk?

Oh yea I hear ya. I went into more detail on my proper review, I'm happy to talk some more if you like, though this is probs the wrong place to do so 😂😊.
Jul 22, 2021 4:19 AM

Mar 2013
I didn't understand even though I was curious to see this thread.

Off topic:
Edamame_GP said:
... i was planning on watching this series for a long time since it's on netflix ...

Wait, I can't find it in Netflix. What country do you play it?
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 26, 2021 5:56 AM
Dec 2020
astralkill00 said:
I didn't understand even though I was curious to see this thread.

Off topic:
Edamame_GP said:
... i was planning on watching this series for a long time since it's on netflix ...

Wait, I can't find it in Netflix. What country do you play it?

yeah so that was a misunderstanding, it wasn't oregairu it was oreimo welp-

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

259 by Dorado1821 »»
May 5, 7:59 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

240 by Dorado1821 »»
May 5, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

422 by Dorado1821 »»
May 5, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

561 by Pancreas08 »»
Apr 12, 5:05 AM

» Where to read LN of yui's story

Hickykissy - Mar 28

6 by Aruhaya »»
Mar 29, 9:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.