Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2021 10:22 AM

Mar 2020
I've been searching online, but I couldn't find any English translation for a single volume of this, or even evidence that such a thing exists. Does anyone know if there is a translation for it, and if so, where I can find it?
Jul 31, 2021 3:28 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@Squilon I only found the 1st chapter translated on Bakatsuki, but I don't think there's an English translation though I'm heavily looking for such a thing. It may exist in the future, who knows. Though in France there are only few merchs related to Madoka Magica, and it's quite the consumer country of animanga, so it's a niche franchise in the West. I'm looking for the Japanese version, however.

And if such a thing can be found, then there may be the faint hope for an optical reading (OCR, Optical Character Recognition) and machine translation, so anyone in the world with a computer could translate a Japanese novel in a semi-acceptable manner...
But there are two obstacles for that: 1. OCR sucks for Japanese/Chinese characters and is probably optimal for roman characters; 2. Japanese novels start from right to left, breaking the way machine translation may be able to work. One would need to obtain a Japanese version, and copy it all on text from left to right, for machine translation to be possible.

Jul 31, 2021 4:08 PM

Mar 2020
Lolsebca said:
@Squilon I only found the 1st chapter translated on Bakatsuki, but I don't think there's an English translation though I'm heavily looking for such a thing. It may exist in the future, who knows. Though in France there are only few merchs related to Madoka Magica, and it's quite the consumer country of animanga, so it's a niche franchise in the West. I'm looking for the Japanese version, however.

And if such a thing can be found, then there may be the faint hope for an optical reading (OCR, Optical Character Recognition) and machine translation, so anyone in the world with a computer could translate a Japanese novel in a semi-acceptable manner...
But there are two obstacles for that: 1. OCR sucks for Japanese/Chinese characters and is probably optimal for roman characters; 2. Japanese novels start from right to left, breaking the way machine translation may be able to work. One would need to obtain a Japanese version, and copy it all on text from left to right, for machine translation to be possible.

Thanks for the answer! I'm sad to hear that it hasn't been translated, I was really excited to delve deeper into the world of Madoka, and since it's pretty popular in the US (don't live there myself, but it's arguably the centre of the modern Western world), I held out hope for a translation. Alas, we'll have to wait for your OCR prediction to come true.
Jul 31, 2021 4:24 PM

Mar 2021
Lolsebca said:

you know, translating japanese is more of an art than a science a lot of the time. even if you got a sloppy word salad translation out of such a thing, with a little bit of talent at writing and paraphrasing, it'd be really easy to take the bare-bones text and turn it into something beautiful
Aug 2, 2021 2:26 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@Mokocchi_x3
Ah, I get what you're telling. With a mess of words you can clean up and have a good text.

@Squilon
I think the worst that happened to this light novel is its impopularity, nobody knows about it. And that's because it was sold in a limited edition:
"It will be officially released as a limited edition with a third volume of 32 full-color pages on August 14, 2011. A prerelease will be held at Comiket 80 between August 12 and August 14, 2011."
Old, impopular, I can't even find stuff related to it by typing the Japanese author in Japanese Google... Don't think there are seeders.
But since there is demand, there may be offer soon...

EDIT: I found a Chinese translation somewhere and managed to do a Chinese-English machine translation. Since it's against the rules to post copyrighted material on the forums, I just want the people finding this thread to know: contact me (DM or comment) and I'll probably be able to help you, I have a Google Docs link.
EmiliaHoarfrostAug 5, 2021 4:31 AM

Aug 7, 2021 11:28 AM

Mar 2021
Squilon said:
I've been searching online, but I couldn't find any English translation for a single volume of this, or even evidence that such a thing exists. Does anyone know if there is a translation for it, and if so, where I can find it?

i don't know if you're interested or not, but i took lolsebca's machine translation and paraphrased the hell out of it. it's probably not very accurate, but it's at least easier to read now! since i don't think this counts as being copyrighted anymore, i posted it to my dreamwidth

https://mokocchi-x3.dreamwidth.org/662.html
n3k0rinAug 7, 2021 1:31 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Volume 1 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Aug 26, 2013

0 by -Karoshi- »»
Aug 26, 2013 12:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.