Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 16, 2021 2:08 AM
Feb 2021
Treq said:
Classroom of the Elite. The MC is insanely intelligent.
Can't wait for season 2. (Would read the manga, but brain disapproves.)
Jun 16, 2021 5:08 AM
Oct 2020
Overlord. It's even game related as well.
Jun 16, 2021 11:26 AM

Dec 2019
check out terror in resonance, skimmed through your list and you haven’t seen that one
Jun 17, 2021 1:58 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:
You actually, unironically, think NGNL has smart characters? Really?
Um... yes? Sora and Shiro are geniuses, are they not?

They are about as far from smart as you can get.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 17, 2021 2:19 AM
Apr 2019
zach293 said:
check out terror in resonance, skimmed through your list and you haven’t seen that one
zach293 said:
will do, thank you
Some things can only be achieved through animation.
Jun 17, 2021 2:24 AM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:
Um... yes? Sora and Shiro are geniuses, are they not?

May I hear your reasoning behind this? Just curious, seeing as they outsmart their opponents in several scenes.
Jun 17, 2021 2:33 AM

Jan 2021
Death Note, Code Geass and The Classroom of the Elite.
Jun 17, 2021 2:54 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:

May I hear your reasoning behind this? Just curious, seeing as they outsmart their opponents in several scenes.

Beat ≠ outsmart.

Every conflict in NGNL is resolved entirely through luck, cheating or intimidation, all under a thin veneer of intellectualism to mask their lack of actual aptitude.
Jun 20, 2021 9:50 AM
Apr 2021
I personally like YouJitsu/Classroom of the Elite, Hyouka and Code Geass. All of the MCs are very smart trust me
Jun 20, 2021 9:53 AM
Apr 2021
Taneem_A said:
Treq said:
Man, the LN is just a Masterpiece, I really think it's worth to give a try.
Jun 20, 2021 9:55 AM
Apr 2021
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

Beat ≠ outsmart.

Every conflict in NGNL is resolved entirely through luck, cheating or intimidation, all under a thin veneer of intellectualism to mask their lack of actual aptitude.
Think with me, even to cheat is difficult in that world, you see, the people just play games all the time, and to win all of the games, like cards, you'll need to cheat sometimes
Jun 21, 2021 1:32 AM

Feb 2019
kinaaaaaa said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Beat ≠ outsmart.

Think with me, even to cheat is difficult in that world, you see, the people just play games all the time, and to win all of the games, like cards, you'll need to cheat sometimes

Sure, you'll need to cheat to win, but that doesn't make you smart for doing so.
Jul 6, 2021 10:08 PM
Feb 2021
kinaaaaaa said:
Taneem_A said:
Man, the LN is just a Masterpiece, I really think it's worth to give a try.
i guess, I can't process reading online, so I'll just read them when i can afford them
Sep 11, 2021 3:57 AM
Feb 2021
ChaosEmblem said:
I definitely recommend Phi Brain! The anime revolves around solving puzzles and the mc is smart, it's pretty underrated!
i like it. ..............
Oct 21, 2021 6:48 PM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

Beat ≠ outsmart.

In my opinion beating grandmaster chess programs makes you smart.
I mean I respect your opinion, but you dont need to be a dick and say "You actually, unironically, think NGNL has smart characters? Really?" It sounds very condescending.
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Beat ≠ outsmart.

I mean I respect your opinion, but you dont need to be a dick and say "You actually, unironically, think NGNL has smart characters? Really?" It sounds very condescending.

Anyone can write "and then they beat a grandmaster," but that doesn't mean they've actually been made a smart character. That's just listing an event that may seem impressive if done by a real person, but actually making characters intelligent has to be done in the way their thought processes are communicated to the viewer/reader.

In a similar vein, if you wanted to have a suave, playboy character, just writing that "he is attractive" isn't going to make that the case if his actual personality doesn't match. Or if you wanted to have a powerful, heroic character, merely narrating that "he is super good at fighting" is a hollow statement unless we see actually how he fights later on.

Frankly, this all comes down to the most basic technique in writing; show, don't tell. And what NGNL does, having Sora and Shiro collect feats with little effort, is telling.

Additionally, this whole "I respect your opinion but you don't need to be a dick" line is silly and evasive. This is not a question of opinion, nor does it make sense to get offended at the fact.
Oct 22, 2021 4:22 PM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

Anyone can write "and then they beat a grandmaster," but that doesn't mean they've actually been made a smart character. That's just listing an event that may seem impressive if done by a real person, but actually making characters intelligent has to be done in the way their thought processes are communicated to the viewer/reader.

In a similar vein, if you wanted to have a suave, playboy character, just writing that "he is attractive" isn't going to make that the case if his actual personality doesn't match. Or if you wanted to have a powerful, heroic character, merely narrating that "he is super good at fighting" is a hollow statement unless we see actually how he fights later on.

Frankly, this all comes down to the most basic technique in writing; show, don't tell. And what NGNL does, having Sora and Shiro collect feats with little effort, is telling.

Additionally, this whole "I respect your opinion but you don't need to be a dick" line is silly and evasive. This is not a question of opinion, nor does it make sense to get offended at the fact.
Wow, it most certainly is a matter of opinion. Saying your opinion is a fact is very egotistical... And by the way, obviously the vast majority of people agree that sora and shiro are smart. And before you say "the popularity of an argument doesn't make it true" well, this is true also. I'm just pointing this out because it feels like you're saying that as if this is a well known fact in the community, when it's not. And I'm not getting "offended" at the fact... just surprised at how rude you are coming off.
Oct 24, 2021 2:43 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Wow, it most certainly is a matter of opinion. Saying your opinion is a fact is very egotistical... And by the way, obviously the vast majority of people agree that sora and shiro are smart. And before you say "the popularity of an argument doesn't make it true" well, this is true also. I'm just pointing this out because it feels like you're saying that as if this is a well known fact in the community, when it's not. And I'm not getting "offended" at the fact... just surprised at how rude you are coming off.

I never said my opinion is fact. You'll note that what I actually said is that opinions do not come into this, it's simple a matter of what is or isn't present in the text of the work.

If you think opinions are relevant here, why?

I also don't see what you try to say with "as this is a well known fact in the community, when it's not." Setting aside that knowledge of a fact does not make it so, why is it not?

Interpreting this as rude is getting offended at it. Your closing point is contradictory.
Oct 24, 2021 11:30 AM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

I never said my opinion is fact. You'll note that what I actually said is that opinions do not come into this, it's simple a matter of what is or isn't present in the text of the work.

I also don't see what you try to say with "as this is a well known fact in the community, when it's not." Setting aside that knowledge of a fact does not make it so, why is it not?

Interpreting this as rude is getting offended at it. Your closing point is contradictory.
I don't know what to say to you anymore, sora and shiro are on every top 10 smartest anime characters list out there. If you disagree with this, that's fine, that's an opinion just like the lists. And I'm sorry but how am I not supposed to interpret "you actually, unironically think ngnl has smart characters? Really?" as condescending? If that's me getting offended, then so be it, there's nothing wrong with that.
Oct 25, 2021 6:52 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:

I don't know what to say to you anymore, sora and shiro are on every top 10 smartest anime characters list out there. If you disagree with this, that's fine, that's an opinion just like the lists. And I'm sorry but how am I not supposed to interpret "you actually, unironically think ngnl has smart characters? Really?" as condescending? If that's me getting offended, then so be it, there's nothing wrong with that.

Them being on a "top 10 list" is such a ridiculous thing to think valid, you must be joking. That's just an appeal to authority fallacy through and through, "some guy put them on a list."

And again, you keep insinuating this is to do with opinion somehow, but you're unable to explain why.

And if suddenly there's "nothing wrong" with you getting offended, explain why you came in with the idea that I "don't need to be a jerk?" If it doesn't matter, why should it be an issue that I am doing what you think I am?
Oct 26, 2021 3:16 AM
Apr 2019
Alright, I will try to explain, although I'm not the best at it.

As for your first point... I should have been more clear. I'm not saying that it's true because they are on top 10 lists. I'm saying that they are generally conceived to be really smart characters, which is why they are always put on said lists. Since the majority of people believe this, I am confused as to why you said "you actually, unironically think that ngnl has smart characters? Really?" (I know I've been quoting this line a lot lol) I assumed you already knew that this was the general consensus, so I was confused as to why you saw this to be such a surprise. To me, this also came off a bit rude to me, so I apologize if that was not your intention.

On to your second point, let me clarify something. You believe that the following sentiment, "Sora and Shiro are not smart characters," to be a fact? I will give you my answer assuming you reply.

And finally the third thing, I said that there was nothing wrong with it, not that it doesnt matter. Although I will digress on this last point, it honestly doesn't matter. We are arguing about anime online it's not like we're coworkers lol
SafeCargoOct 26, 2021 3:32 AM
Oct 26, 2021 3:37 AM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

Them being on a "top 10 list" is such a ridiculous thing to think valid, you must be joking. That's just an appeal to authority fallacy through and through, "some guy put them on a list."

And again, you keep insinuating this is to do with opinion somehow, but you're unable to explain why.

And if suddenly there's "nothing wrong" with you getting offended, explain why you came in with the idea that I "don't need to be a jerk?" If it doesn't matter, why should it be an issue that I am doing what you think I am?
Sorry I wasnt sure I quoted you, just making sure. Check reply above
Oct 26, 2021 4:29 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:

As for your first point... I should have been more clear. I'm not saying that it's true because they are on top 10 lists. I'm saying that they are generally conceived to be really smart characters, which is why they are always put on said lists. Since the majority of people believe this, I am confused as to why you said "you actually, unironically think that ngnl has smart characters? Really?" (I know I've been quoting this line a lot lol) I assumed you already knew that this was the general consensus, so I was confused as to why you saw this to be such a surprise. To me, this also came off a bit rude to me, so I apologize if that was not your intention.

On to your second point, let me clarify something. You believe that the following sentiment, "Sora and Shiro are not smart characters," to be a fact? I will give you my answer assuming you reply.

And finally the third thing, I said that there was nothing wrong with it, not that it doesnt matter. Although I will digress on this last point, it honestly doesn't matter. We are arguing about anime online it's not like we're coworkers lol

To establish whether or not you were aware that they weren't, of course. That should already have been obvious from how the conversation continued.

Yes, "Sora and Shiro are not written as smart characters." That is what is, with certitude, present in (or rather, absent from) the text.
Oct 27, 2021 6:23 AM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

To establish whether or not you were aware that they weren't, of course. That should already have been obvious from how the conversation continued.

Yes, "Sora and Shiro are not written as smart characters." That is what is, with certitude, present in (or rather, absent from) the text.
Of course, I'm just asking why you seemed so surprised that I thought this, assuming that you knew it was a majority belief. What you said made it seem like you think that people who believe sora and shiro are smart, are dumb. Again, sorry if this was not your intention, it's just how it came off.

Also I think I understand what you're saying. Would you agree with the following statement?:

"Sora and Shiro are written to be smart characters, however the author fails in his goal since he fails to show how they are intelligent, rather than just tell."

Also I can tell you got A's in english class growing up. Have you ever written any novels?
Oct 28, 2021 7:22 AM

Feb 2019
SafeCargo said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Of course, I'm just asking why you seemed so surprised that I thought this, assuming that you knew it was a majority belief. What you said made it seem like you think that people who believe sora and shiro are smart, are dumb. Again, sorry if this was not your intention, it's just how it came off.

Also I think I understand what you're saying. Would you agree with the following statement?:

"Sora and Shiro are written to be smart characters, however the author fails in his goal since he fails to show how they are intelligent, rather than just tell."

Also I can tell you got A's in english class growing up. Have you ever written any novels?

I don't keep tabs on the majority's consensus on every single piece of media. Strictly speaking, believing that they are smart does rather speak of being oblivious to the actual content, so, not dumb, but dumb-adjacent.

Broadly, I agree with that statement, but I would amend it to be: "Shora and Shiro were intended to be written as smart characters, however the author fails in his goal since he fails to show that they are intelligent, instead just stating they are and attributing various feats to the pair."

Since you ask, I do write, mainly short fiction.
Nov 22, 2021 6:23 PM
Dec 2019
Mikes_list said:
'The Promised Neverland'(Only season 1 because I heard season 2 was trash and I don't wanna risk it tainting a perfect 1st season), 'Death Note' and 'Kakegurui' all have some smart main characters.
yeah season 2 was trash, I had read most of the manga when it released and stopped the anime because I didn’t want it to spoil the manga for me
Dec 25, 2021 4:36 PM
Apr 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
SafeCargo said:

I don't keep tabs on the majority's consensus on every single piece of media. Strictly speaking, believing that they are smart does rather speak of being oblivious to the actual content, so, not dumb, but dumb-adjacent.

Broadly, I agree with that statement, but I would amend it to be: "Shora and Shiro were intended to be written as smart characters, however the author fails in his goal since he fails to show that they are intelligent, instead just stating they are and attributing various feats to the pair."

Since you ask, I do write, mainly short fiction.
Ah okay, that makes sense. Anyways, I think we can just agree to disagree on our differences here. Have a great christmas :)
Feb 1, 2022 4:39 PM
Jun 2009
Treq said:

I agree that the MC is of a similar caliber.

The anime/story however is just not up to bar. Was kind of boring to be honest.
Mar 7, 2022 3:21 AM

Jan 2020
classroom of the elite and terror in resonance I guess
May 7, 2022 11:59 AM

Oct 2021
SafeCargo said:
Any recommendations for anime that also have a genius main character, with cool outsmarting the other guy scenes?

If you are in search of a isekai anime with smart main characters, then probably SAO (Sword Art Online)
It was pretty popular when it was released and still has a big fanbase.
It has like 4 seasons or something, and the first season is 25 episodes.
The genres are well balanced, there's romance, comedy, action and anything else that it has and it's just all shown enough.
The first season is considered the best along the other's since they get trapped in the VR game and live there for like 3-4 years.
yes.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.