Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 25, 2021 1:29 PM
Jul 2020
I just completed the latest season of SAO and can't help but wonder how good this show could have been. Currently the show is kind of a joke, dead people coming back to life physically to help the good guys, the fights are so empty and have no meaning what so ever, the heroes are put into a spot where they are about to die and are being overpowered by the villains but then suddenly the next moment they start overpowering the villains without any explanation(this happens so many times I lost count), the villains get overpowered abilities out of no where(which doesn't matter anyway because kirito and Asuna get help for literally dead charecters).

It is just very hard to watch all this non sense. The plot actually is really good, how everything connects back to Akihiko Kayaba the creator of SAO and the mystery behind why he decided to do what he did.

I can't help but feel sad for such wasted potential. Dose anyone else think that SAO could have been great or is it just me?
Apr 25, 2021 1:30 PM

Jan 2020
SAO could have EASILY been better. There's no arguing against that

Apr 25, 2021 1:34 PM
Jul 2020
ManWild said:
I actually think that the first few episodes are amazing I think the whole Sao arch was fantastic except for how kirito manages to kill Kayaba after being dead himself but yaaa everything went down hill from there.
Apr 25, 2021 3:03 PM
Nov 2020
SAO could have been great had it stayed in SAO and not branched out into ALO and that crap. Granted I thought GGO was the best arc, but overall the show would have been better had it stretched out the SAO arc and not only done like 4 of the floors.
Apr 25, 2021 3:10 PM
Jan 2021
SAO is good but with some things just doesn't put it good together.
Apr 25, 2021 3:23 PM
Aug 2020
With an amazing plot like this, SAO could have become one of the top tier series out there. Yeah, it had a lot of potential but things kinda messed up. However, the show is enjoyable enough to make me satisfied though. One more thing, SAO Alicization arc did pretty well job, even War of underworld, except the rushed ending.
Apr 25, 2021 4:35 PM

Jul 2015
Since you post this at Alicization page, then yes.
Alicization was truly breath of fresh air and fixed many problem that SAO was notorious for, like bland and boring protagonist.
Sadly, Kidito eventually had to wake up, hax mode went on and SAO reclaimed it's trone as the King of Trash.

Apr 25, 2021 5:05 PM
Apr 2021
I love SAO. But for me the best season and the first, even before they left the game ...
Apr 25, 2021 5:19 PM
Oct 2020
I think underworld was wasted. Everything before was entertaining, but as deep as a paper cut. The whole idea of “raising” ai was fascinating by itself. I also just like Alice, gives off strong Saber from Fate vibes.
Apr 25, 2021 5:30 PM
Dec 2019
I actually enjoyed this season everything you said was kinda irrelevant in my opinion because regardless of all that it still delivered it’s plot wasn’t wasted tho I’m sure a lot of us would rather the plot taken a different direction and they did what they could with this season and I enjoyed it so if you wanna say it’s bad because papa Kiritimati didn’t do things the way you wanted then go ahead but being critical over small stuff will get you no where in any anime :)
Apr 25, 2021 5:34 PM

Oct 2020
The world of UNDERWORLD was not a real world, no matter what you try you can't use those magic in this real world but you can in the underworld so it's not something to get shocked about how Eugeo came into life, it wasn't the real Eugeo at all, it was his injured soul,his will as Kayaba himself said in both s1 and Ordinal scale, there is something more which exceeds the game functions the cardinal and he saw it himself, it's called 'Will Power'
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Apr 25, 2021 5:43 PM

Nov 2008
No I don't think it was wasted and SAO doesn't do anything more outrageous or ass-pully than OTHER shounen battle anime so I don't know why people only pick on SAO lol

Apr 25, 2021 6:18 PM
May 2019
SAO as a concept is really cool , but after watching the latest season with all its no sense and random shit it really marked itself as one of the poorest anime I've ever seen , people can still enjoy the fantasy element but i would laugh so hard if someone tells me the show is considered good. And no, Don't tell me to read the novel I'm still recovering from the braincells loss caused by this show.
Apr 25, 2021 6:18 PM
Oct 2019
Love or hate sao(I personally love it), it can’t be denied that sao could have been better. Alicization was a big step up for sao and I’m glad that reki is rewriting the aincrad arc they way he wanted it to be in the first place. Even the haters got to respect the author for that.
Apr 25, 2021 6:22 PM

Jul 2020
It had a great initial concept, but yeah it was wasted. It could've been better, I did enjoy the 1st season quite a bit tho, afterwards it did fall off.
Apr 25, 2021 6:42 PM

Jan 2021
I quite enjoyed the first half of S1 and Alicization. But for the others, it feels bad...
Apr 25, 2021 7:03 PM
Apr 2021
Hoenstly I think sao has it's ups and downs but I really enjoyed it. Yes there is points it could definitely be improved but I still think it's pretty good
Apr 25, 2021 7:07 PM
Jan 2021
Sao was good. Although I disliked the alfheim arcs. SAO and GGO were both good and I really enjoyed Alicization (not war of the underworld). There was lots of moments were the plot was wasted including what happened during the final eps of War Of The Underworld. Myself and others would probably have appreciated it if they included all the final years that passed while Kirito and Asuna stayed behind.
Apr 25, 2021 7:37 PM
Dec 2019
Aigami_Diva said:
SAO as a concept is really cool , but after watching the latest season with all its no sense and random shit it really marked itself as one of the poorest anime I've ever seen , people can still enjoy the fantasy element but i would laugh so hard if someone tells me the show is considered good. And no, Don't tell me to read the novel I'm still recovering from the braincells loss caused by this show.
im not gonna tell you to go read the novel imma tell you to go get some glasses cause if you can’t see that sao is good and I mean all series aincrad-Alicization then fine you do you but don’t talk about brain cells when clearly you were never using yours to begin with considering you stuck around long enough to write this shit anyone with brain cells would’ve quit while they were ahead yet you needed to watch to confirm your already made up mind Gtfo I have a feeling this app is gonna have more idiots than you to deal with and I can’t I’m ready to deal with that but statistically someone has to also there is worse anime out there so calling sao the worst makes me think you should go watch more anime before typing on MAL then again if you’re just gonna shit on anime when you clearly can’t do better I’d say find something else to watch m8 cause you won’t do yourself any favors watching anime at the rate your going
Apr 25, 2021 7:41 PM
May 2019
RequiemLo64 said:
Aigami_Diva said:
im not gonna tell you to go read the novel imma tell you to go get some glasses cause if you can’t see that sao is good and I mean all series aincrad-Alicization then fine you do you but don’t talk about brain cells when clearly you were never using yours to begin with considering you stuck around long enough to write this shit anyone with brain cells would’ve quit while they were ahead yet you needed to watch to confirm your already made up mind Gtfo I have a feeling this app is gonna have more idiots than you to deal with and I can’t I’m ready to deal with that but statistically someone has to also there is worse anime out there so calling sao the worst makes me think you should go watch more anime before typing on MAL then again if you’re just gonna shit on anime when you clearly can’t do better I’d say find something else to watch m8 cause you won’t do yourself any favors watching anime at the rate your going
what's the point of writing all of that? You didn't give me a single argument , just your subjective option about a show you like ( i totally respect that ) if you really want to discuss SAO give me arguments instead of just saying " i like sao so sao is good " lmao
Apr 25, 2021 7:48 PM
Dec 2019
Aigami_Diva said:
RequiemLo64 said:
what's the point of writing all of that? You didn't give me a single argument , just your subjective option about a show you like ( i totally respect that ) if you really want to discuss SAO give me arguments instead of just saying " i like sao so sao is good " lmao
and then what have you just say “ each of our experiences watching is completely subjective “ or “well that your opinion and this mine” or something else song those lines no thanks besides there was nothing wrong with this season in particular everything fell into place and was paced well the fights were well animated there were a bunch of twists and outcomes that I expected and didn’t expect and Kirito finally waking up was the highlight of the season why you don’t like it sounds like a bunch of U problems so if you want to discuss then by all means we can but at least mention something significant
Apr 25, 2021 7:53 PM
May 2019
RequiemLo64 said:
Aigami_Diva said:
and then what have you just say “ each of our experiences watching is completely subjective “ or “well that your opinion and this mine” or something else song those lines no thanks besides there was nothing wrong with this season in particular everything fell into place and was paced well the fights were well animated there were a bunch of twists and outcomes that I expected and didn’t expect and Kirito finally waking up was the highlight of the season why you don’t like it sounds like a bunch of U problems so if you want to discuss then by all means we can but at least mention something significant
actually i checked your list and wow you are giving 214 shows a 10/10 , shows like fairy tail and SAO can't be called masterpieces so you either don't know how a masterpiece anime looks like or you just have a "questionable" taste in anime. Have a good day
Apr 25, 2021 8:05 PM
Dec 2019
Aigami_Diva said:
RequiemLo64 said:
actually i checked your list and wow you are giving 214 shows a 10/10 , shows like fairy tail and SAO can't be called masterpieces so you either don't know how a masterpiece anime looks like or you just have a "questionable" taste in anime. Have a good day
see this is why I say you haven’t used your brain cells because you can’t tell how long I’ve been using this app I just got back to using it because I lost my notebook of the anime I’ve seen and it was much longer than what I have currently so before you call my taste trash communicate first and i knew you’d weasel your way out of this you rat but hey what can I expect from someone who sees one color out of place in animation and then claims for it to be worse so yeah check my list all you want it’s irrelevant at the moment so idc what you say atm but yours isn’t that much better pal but hey can’t expect much form a third rate anime watcher like you
Apr 25, 2021 8:20 PM
Feb 2021
lDeathParadoxl said:
I just completed the latest season of SAO and can't help but wonder how good this show could have been. Currently the show is kind of a joke, dead people coming back to life physically to help the good guys, the fights are so empty and have no meaning what so ever, the heroes are put into a spot where they are about to die and are being overpowered by the villains but then suddenly the next moment they start overpowering the villains without any explanation(this happens so many times I lost count), the villains get overpowered abilities out of no where(which doesn't matter anyway because kirito and Asuna get help for literally dead charecters).

It is just very hard to watch all this non sense. The plot actually is really good, how everything connects back to Akihiko Kayaba the creator of SAO and the mystery behind why he decided to do what he did.

I can't help but feel sad for such wasted potential. Dose anyone else think that SAO could have been great or is it just me?

I agree wholeheartedly! So many things in SAO could've been better. I say it all the time. Characters could be better developed, the plot could have more depth, they need to remove the rape scenes because they just destroy the story in my opinion. Also side note I think Asuna should have stayed dead in SAO. But for the bare bones that they give you, it's a good story. These reasons are why I haven't scored SAO higher.
Apr 25, 2021 8:31 PM

Feb 2019
Aincrad yes, in the ORIGINAL, but progressive fixes it. Alicization plot is fulfilled perfectly. Unital ring looks really good so far too.
Apr 25, 2021 10:32 PM
Feb 2021
SAO could have easily been better, the final season showed us this. Sure, progressive does a good job at patching some of these issues but the fact that it needs to exist in the first place is an issue. That isn’t even including how much of an over the top power fantasy it is to the point where Kirito and everyone else doesn’t even feel human up until the end and that’s only partially and with a couple characters. I feel like this is why a lot of people hate SAO so much, it’s because it is a complete let down on such an amazing premise and plot.
Apr 25, 2021 11:53 PM
Jul 2020
RandomAnon2 said:
SAO could have easily been better, the final season showed us this. Sure, progressive does a good job at patching some of these issues but the fact that it needs to exist in the first place is an issue. That isn’t even including how much of an over the top power fantasy it is to the point where Kirito and everyone else doesn’t even feel human up until the end and that’s only partially and with a couple characters. I feel like this is why a lot of people hate SAO so much, it’s because it is a complete let down on such an amazing premise and plot.
completely agree with that. there are plenty of shows that are worse than SAO but people keep hating on it like it is the worst show out there. even i think it is because at first it seemed to be so good with this amazing idea but everything gose downhill in the coming episodes
Apr 26, 2021 3:31 AM

Feb 2021
Yeah it's called SAO alternative: GGO and it's really fucking good.

Log Horizon too but it's less comedic.
Eat ass and spew sass!

Apr 26, 2021 5:46 AM
Feb 2021
[quote=lDeathParadoxl message=62919224]
ManWild said:
I actually think that the first few episodes are amazing I think the whole Sao arch was fantastic except for how kirito manages to kill Kayaba after being dead himself but yaaa everything went down hil
lDeathParadoxl said:
RandomAnon2 said:
completely agree with that. there are plenty of shows that are worse than SAO but people keep hating on it like it is the worst show out there. even i think it is because at first it seemed to be so good with this amazing idea but everything gose downhill in the coming episodes
The author originally wrote the story of the original SAO for a competition. (I can't remember the name) So the story needed a conclusion which is why it seems to have really bad pacing.
Apr 26, 2021 12:26 PM
Oct 2020
Anayan_Kashyap said:
The world of UNDERWORLD was not a real world, no matter what you try you can't use those magic in this real world but you can in the underworld so it's not something to get shocked about how Eugeo came into life, it wasn't the real Eugeo at all, it was his injured soul,his will as Kayaba himself said in both s1 and Ordinal scale, there is something more which exceeds the game functions the cardinal and he saw it himself, it's called 'Will Power'
In other words Plot Convenience...😑
Apr 26, 2021 11:30 PM
Apr 2021
SAO is one of my favourite anime ever... But after ordinla scale, it felt like they were going it too far with ANOTHER season. I think it was enough and didn't need Alicization too...
May 1, 2021 8:42 AM
Mar 2019
Kouleffects said:
SAO is one of my favourite anime ever... But after ordinla scale, it felt like they were going it too far with ANOTHER season. I think it was enough and didn't need Alicization too...

Kinda agree, I don't enjoy Ordinal Scale though.
But I think Alicization Project is a good sequel. The story flow finely until this final part. I think there are too many useless (not important) scene. Kinda waste the vibe.
May 6, 2021 3:03 AM
Sep 2020
ManWild said:

I really loved the Alicization arc

I hope reki kawahara improves in his writing

My personal seasonal ratings would
Be:

1: Alicization (9.6/10)
2: Alicization War of Underworld part2
(9.5/10)
3: Ordinal scale(9.5/10)
4: Alicization WOU P1:(9.3/10)
5: Mother's Rosario (9.2/10)
6: Aincrad Arc(8.9/10)
7: Alphiem online (8.0/10)
8: Gun gale online (7.4/10)
9: Excalibur arc (6.6/10)
May 6, 2021 9:42 PM

Jul 2010
I really hated the Alicization arc, because even tho they sidelined kirito they still could not do anything without him. I more enjoyed what was happening outside of underworld than what was going on inside in the end. Kirito is just a too op mary sue character.

It hurts because it could of been so much better. Alice's characterization especially in the last half was squandered. Same with Asuna too. She has this really cool attack to finish of PoH, but only for him to slightly endure because the plot wanted KIRITO to finish him off. Not Asuna. Could of been a real cool moment for Asuna but no.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
May 31, 2021 3:14 AM
Jun 2019
ariamachi said:
I really hated the Alicization arc, because even tho they sidelined kirito they still could not do anything without him. I more enjoyed what was happening outside of underworld than what was going on inside in the end. Kirito is just a too op mary sue character.

It hurts because it could of been so much better. Alice's characterization especially in the last half was squandered. Same with Asuna too. She has this really cool attack to finish of PoH, but only for him to slightly endure because the plot wanted KIRITO to finish him off. Not Asuna. Could of been a real cool moment for Asuna but no.

I mean, PoH isn't actually dead yet lol. Besides, he's been Kirito's #1 enemy since the Aincrad days, PoH LOVES Kirito, so it kinda has to be Kirito. Asuna doesn't really have a rival, the kill she should've gotten was Sugou back in S1.
Jun 21, 2021 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
trinity_frost said:

GGO Alternative is fucking garbage
Jul 4, 2021 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
orion2 said:
trinity_frost said:

ggo is the only sao thats good, and thats by far. although aincrad was pretty good too though, the rest are pretty bad imo though...
Jul 4, 2021 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
spaesu said:
orion2 said:

ggo is the only sao thats good, and thats by far. although aincrad was pretty good too though, the rest are pretty bad imo though...

wrong, ggo is the worst part of SAO
Jul 4, 2021 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
orion2 said:
spaesu said:

idk what to tell you, ur just wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 4, 2021 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
spaesu said:
orion2 said:

idk what to tell you, ur just wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

earlier this year I've watched the whole of SAO, and by far GGO and alternative GGO are the worst garbage I've seen in my life from hundreds of anime, hundreds of TV Shows, hundreds of movies, hundreds of cartoons, by far the worst piece of fucking garbage ever

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2020

320 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Jan 15, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

209 by razisgosu »»
Jan 13, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 5, 2020

154 by White_Alice »»
Jan 12, 11:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.