Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 2021 2:45 AM

Jun 2019
Really wholesome, really beautiful, amazing visuals and animation by Bones. You can tell it was greatly influenced by 'Koe no Katachi' in a lot of similarities not to say there's anything wrong with that but still a pretty great movie indeed in my opinion. I enjoyed it quite a lot. OST and the music were beautiful as well.

Overall, a great experience. Highly recommend it.
Jun 16, 2021 6:06 AM
Nov 2020
Glad that they got happy ending unlike brutal but yet somewhat realistic ending of 2003 live action. Overall a good watch;I'd give 8/10.Tho I still prefer LA over anime.
Jun 16, 2021 12:58 PM
Jul 2020
it was alright, nice soundtrack
Jun 16, 2021 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
Funimation will be releasing this movie in theaters July 12-14, 2021 both subbed and dubbed. source is here

More info available here [url=https://weareani.me/t9cq3x[/url]
no info as yet if Funi's going to do a DVD/BR release yet. but i'm betting they will, 'Your Name Is' made Funi lots of dough both in theaters and on disk. so if this one is popular expect a home video release.
KiliianSleipnirJun 16, 2021 3:45 PM
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Jun 17, 2021 3:15 AM

Nov 2020
A really good movie, I am glad this didn't had sad end, animation and art were crisp, the Male MC idk why made be remember Uesugi Futaro from 5-Toubun no Hanayome maybe bc his character design is similar and they are both studious, poor and are doing multiple Part time job but yeah I enjoyed it.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jun 17, 2021 6:45 AM
Aug 2013
Good movie but wow it's certainly overrated right now. It'll probably drop into the 8.20-8.40 range as more people see it. I don't think it's better than I Want to Eat Your Pancreas. But this has a "fairytale" happy ending while Pancreas has... well, a less happy one, to minimize spoilers.

Then again, I'm trying to recall a simple happy ending love story in movie form with a high production value such as this one, and I can't recall any. There are romance anime you could argue that are better, but all are in TV form. The closest I got was Our Love Has Always Been 10cm Apart, which is slightly longer at 2 hours (6 episodes). Toradora, of course, is the classic one, and that has a score of 8.20.
Jun 17, 2021 8:41 AM

May 2018
Pretty meh tbh. Looks and sounds good but the characters were really bland and bad, especially the wheelchair girl. I did not like her personality at all and I don't like the 'servant' dynamic between the main duo. Their romance felt completely unnatural; almost like stockholm syndrome. I really liked the animation and the beautiful camera shots though.

Overall 4/10 for me
Jun 17, 2021 11:26 AM

Jun 2020
Loved it. I was really looking forward to this one. I loved Tsuneo, his personality & earnest attitude won me over very early into the film. He’s amazing & I think Nakagawa Taishi did a really great job♡

Eve’s 心海 & Ao No Waltz were a perfect fit♡

I can’t believe some said that they found it weird that Josee’s disability was “irrelevant” as the film went on. Of course?????? It’s a romance-drama about discovering & facing everything life has to offer, and the female lead just so happens to be in a wheelchair. That’s it. Stop reducing her to whatever your agenda is.

Anyway, I loved the scene so much where Tsuneo pushed Josee & ran around in the park. It made me so emotional. No fucks given to anything or anyone. Together, they can face anything♡ Find you a guy like Tsuneo!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jun 17, 2021 4:27 PM
Dec 2011
Really enjoyed this movie. Animation and music really Shine. I watched the live action years ago and have forgotten how it went lol I can't remember for the life of me if it was similar to this or not. I really like Josee and find her character development to be endearing. Her interaction with Tsuneo and how it helped her develop emotionally was really encouraging for those who might struggle with disability. I know this is just a movie, but it is a nice thought that anyone can find someone special.
Jun 17, 2021 5:04 PM

May 2021
Dont get some of the criticism on this discussion thread, seems like people being unable to fill the blanks since their brains got mushed by watching way too much dumb anime. The only bad part of this is how you have to suspense the disbelief at the end, everything else makes complete sense and the characters are coherent. The message of the movie and the emotions that go through it are well executed

Jun 17, 2021 10:36 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Tony the Tiger wasn't featured in the movie. 0/8 would not recommend :(

In all seriousness, I had a good time watching this. Even if it started slow with Josee's annoyance and the setting up for Tsuneo's standing, the pacing started picking up with the going outs up until the accident happened. Then there were a few slow and sad scenes fitting for Tsuneo's mood, but at least it went up again with Josee's picture book and the conclusion.

Gotta say, at least she grew up enough to cheer up Tsuneo and give him that last push towards recovery. Nevertheless, I don't quite dig her personality traits. I prefer Mai even if her relationship status was bound to not improve by much. Favorite character? Hayato, easy answer.

Presentation-wise it's not perfect. While the animation is certainly consistent and gorgeous, there were a few frame drops in the middle, particularly in the diving scenes. Plus, the soundtrack didn't stand out overall, aside from the very beginning and the end credits. Then lifted the mood certainly but nothing to write home about.

Overall, recommendable, maybe even a tearjerker, but not a masterpiece in my eyes.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 18, 2021 5:59 AM
Dec 2019
I'm biased for Wholesome stuff's. The animation and music was top notch. Storyline and character's were also great. 9/10 for me.
Jun 18, 2021 1:52 PM

Sep 2020
I have seen the 2003 live action movie just few month ago compare to that this is 10 times better also it have a happy ending unlike the older version.

Anyway I really enjoyed this movie , it's beautiful animation and sound track is praise worthy . Overall rating by me 9/10 at this moment. Would definitely like to re-watch this in future.
ZXEANSep 27, 2021 9:02 AM
Jun 19, 2021 8:45 AM
Apr 2017
This was, perhaps, the worst romance movie I have ever seen. A clusterfuck of a movie. Banal, predictable, melodramatic, "Josee, the Tiger and Fish" is a bad movie with amateur writing at best. If this movie was a person, it would be the South Carolina candidate from Miss Teen USA 2007. A beautiful girl that attempts to say something meaningful, but ends up meandering and making a fool out of herself.
Jun 19, 2021 10:51 AM

Apr 2009
Fetish anime for girls that dream of being shitty people and guys to throws themselves at them anyway👎
Jun 19, 2021 12:11 PM

Sep 2020
jTiKey said:
Fetish anime for girls that dream of being shitty people and guys to throws themselves at them anyway👎
I really don't understand which part offended you , this movie and it's characters was so pure and realistic , Boy want to follow his dream want to study abroad and a introverted girl who want to see and experience outside , Both our mc never get diverted from there main motive , initially the boy help the girl to express her dream latter when the boy need help the girl was by her side and down the line they fall for each other , There is nothing fetish here...
Jun 19, 2021 12:24 PM

Apr 2009
>characters was so pure
The girl threatens the MC to lie about being sexually assaulted if he doesn't take her to the ocean. That is something you run away from.

> realistic
Why would someone in Mexiso pay for a Japanese student who knows Spanish? What is special about someone who has a skill every leaving human in the country knows better than you?

>want to see and experience outside
She was 24 years old. It's very unrealistic that she wouldn't be out for so long. Later we see that the grandma didn't really care that much that she was out. It's just a plot device.

>There is nothing fetish here...
The story ended after he finally accepted that he is her servant. After being degraded and used by her, being injured because of her, that is his "lesson"?
When he was in the hospital, she never even visited him. All she did is draw some shitty boring story. Yet, the story ends when she finally get's her wet dream of having a slave.
Jun 19, 2021 2:04 PM

Sep 2020
jTiKey said:
>characters was so pure
The girl threatens the MC to lie about being sexually assaulted if he doesn't take her to the ocean. That is something you run away from.

> realistic
Why would someone in Mexiso pay for a Japanese student who knows Spanish? What is special about someone who has a skill every leaving human in the country knows better than you?

>want to see and experience outside
She was 24 years old. It's very unrealistic that she wouldn't be out for so long. Later we see that the grandma didn't really care that much that she was out. It's just a plot device.

>There is nothing fetish here...
The story ended after he finally accepted that he is her servant. After being degraded and used by her, being injured because of her, that is his "lesson"?
When he was in the hospital, she never even visited him. All she did is draw some shitty boring story. Yet, the story ends when she finally get's her wet dream of having a slave.
Your words make zero sence it seem that you just want prove every sentence of mine wrong with your dum reasoning , I say your comment in Sonny boy episode 1 forum also it's seem you love one dimensional story which contains one dimensional characters , You can't even different between double meaning sentence , that girl called the boy service at last was just a joke , Bro the reasoning you give for realistic made me laugh , he wants to study abroad it just a dream and what type of bullshit are you spreading man , why japan Mexico Spanish bla bla bla....

And she want to exprense the outer world her grandmother doesn't take her to sea and zoo she only took her out for little walk

Bro if you have any good reasonning then quote me other wise let end this conversation here ,

EDIT: damm MAL users always suprise Violet Evergarden 2/10 , Silent Voice 1/10 , Wolf children 3/10 , now I am not at all suprise why you criticise this movie so much , keep it up I don't want to argue with you any more
Jun 19, 2021 2:55 PM

May 2020
Well, I expected romantic melodrama - I'm not disappointed nor surprised. The movie is meh. The first half was boring, I even paused the film and did other stuff, that’s why it took me one hour longer than the runtime to complete it. The second half (around when the car crash happened) was better, but not great either.
Jun 19, 2021 5:05 PM
Oct 2020
I loved the animation and the soundtrack, the story line it self was what made me want to watch it, but honestly it wasn't all the great, I'm not a fan of Josee I get it she's a tsundere and shy and scared of the world but you can't excuse the fact that she's rude and mean. The male lead he's nice and I feel like he was taken advantage of by Josee....

There was sometimes that I felt bad for her or rooted for her but yet she still finds a way to annoy me.

Oh and when it came to romance I feel like there's no chemistry between them, they're more like good friends, I didn't feel any love.

In the end the male lead would have had a trouble less life without meeting Josee, I see no merit in their relationship for him, Josee gains something he doesn't, he lost more.
Jun 19, 2021 11:14 PM

May 2021
jTiKey said:

I'm 99.9% sure that you are trolling for reactions, but that part of the comment is so dumb that I can't but say that you should try better to not look like a complete idiot

Jun 20, 2021 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
Zean_9435 said:

EDIT: damm MAL users always suprise Violet Evergarden 2/10 , Silent Voice 1/10 , Wolf children 3/10 , now I am not at all suprise why you criticise this movie so much , keep it up I don't want to argue with you any more

Holy trinity of emotional manipulation.
Jun 20, 2021 9:13 PM

Jan 2020
It was sweet. I was a fan of the two protagonists and dynamics and the way things were handled was solid.

As expected, the visuals were incredible and really shined

Jun 21, 2021 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
aah this was so cute! had really beautiful animation and soundtrack and stuff, the story and characters were pretty good too. overall really enjoyed this, 6/10.
Jun 22, 2021 9:51 PM

Nov 2014

@the kid who left the reading near the end
Jun 23, 2021 1:42 AM

Dec 2007
Overall I gotta say I liked it. I gave it a 7. Though in the end I couldn't help, but be a little bit disappointed. The premise of a romance / drama where you have a guy who is going to "save" a girl, but actually it ends up that she saves him in the end. Along with beautiful visuals and soundtrack is right in my wheel house, but this missed the mark just a bit for me.

Probably my biggest problem was going from drama, to kinda over the top melodrama in the 2nd half. I mean you really could of wrote that scene up before even seeing that movie. What's the conflict 2/3 through the movie going to be? She has wheel chair trouble and he gets hit by a car. It's so cliché that it's almost charming, like they felt they were obligated to do something like that to make the drama gods happy.

It seemed like they almost made the guy too flawless so where would the struggle and conflict come from otherwise the movie would almost be gross and turn just into "guy savior" who saves "poor girl". So they give him a horrible injury where he could end up not being able to walk and I guess his life was so solo focused that him not being able to dive makes him basically lifeless.

I wish the second half drama was toned down a bit, made more simple and personally focused between the two leads. Also, and I feel I never think this, but I wish the movie was a bit longer, maybe 20-30 minutes just focused on the two main characters relationship and them being together. We don't get a lot of truly great relationship moments between them and their situation, doesn't seemed forced, but is just kinda... there. It's not really a build up or evolution it's goes from step 1 to step 2 if that makes sense.

Oh and I've been done with movies having leads fall in love, but have to be apart for extended periods of time, followed by times skips. I hate that crap more than anything in romance anime. Stop doing time skips, stop having characters finally realize they love each other and want to be together only to have them be apart, but passing it off as a good thing, but they are doing their own things. That alone is at least minus 1 point on any score for me.

Well I just spent a lot of time railing on the movie, but I actually did like it. Overall it's a sweet story with likable leads and a secondary cast that's very basic, but nice. Looks and sounds beautiful. Despite the garbage separation / time skip the ending is still a happy one.
Jun 23, 2021 7:08 AM
Dec 2018
Overall, it was good. The animation, OST's The characters were ok. In my opinion, this should be a tv series or 6 episode ONA.
7/10.
Jun 23, 2021 3:07 PM

Feb 2020
A really beautiful film, loved it. I really appreciate the added end credit scenes. More story chicken out at such instances to maintain the bitter sweetness.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 23, 2021 4:08 PM

May 2016
too bad the girls in wheelchair/deaf(silent voice) irl aren't ever as cute as they are in anime.
Jun 24, 2021 7:30 AM

Aug 2018
Watched this movie today in cinema with my sister.. Got, what I expected, I guess, and this is good.. Serious movie.. Not all things go the way we want them at times.. As well as name was suggesting that something fairy-tail'y might take place.. Josee's fairy tail with the wings in the heart was beautiful.. ;P Overall, was an enjoyable movie.. ;P
Jun 24, 2021 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
I loved this movie! Unlike most of people said I Din't find this similar to koe no katachi, even being very cliché, I still enjoyed every part of this movie!

9/10
Jun 25, 2021 2:08 AM
Jul 2020
Really wholesome movie. It is not as great as your name, violet evergarden or silent voice but I had an amazing time watching this. I gave it a 9. Aside from the story and romance I want to talk about animation and art. My god!
So awesome. As expected from studio bones. What is more shocking is even Wit studio and ufotable helped them to make this movie. This is the reason for it being amazing.
Jun 25, 2021 2:09 AM
Jul 2020
Pre_Yum said:
Really wholesome, really beautiful, amazing visuals and animation by Bones. You can tell it was greatly influenced by 'Koe no Katachi' in a lot of similarities not to say there's anything wrong with that but still a pretty great movie indeed in my opinion. I enjoyed it quite a lot. OST and the music were beautiful as well.

Even wit studio and ufotable helped them. I am not even kidding. You can check in the final credits their name will come.
Jun 25, 2021 3:33 AM

Jan 2015
Pretty good movie, outstanding visuals but cliche plot developments after the traffic incident and ending

8/10
Jun 25, 2021 4:05 AM

Jun 2019
Pranav_Madduru said:
Pre_Yum said:

Even wit studio and ufotable helped them. I am not even kidding. You can check in the final credits their name will come.

Well... yeah that's not a new thing. Animation studio usually takes help from other studios during the production of the movie. Every studio does that.

But, yeah I noticed that during the movie. Their names never actually meant to be mentioned anywhere except the credits because the main studio was 'Bones' after all.
Jun 25, 2021 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
I don't watch a lot of drama, but it's super refreshing to have a realist movie (unlike Shinkai recent works, which I mention here because they were the last drama movies I saw), with real problems (unlike fantasy/chuuni problems), with protagonists being of college age (instead of highschoolers).

You know, they worry about money/jobs, they're confronted to death and handicap, and the movie is detailed enough -- the interiors, the wares in the shops, the landscapes -- that you feel immersed in the real world.

And yeah the visuals are gorgeous, the character are cute, Bones did great on that part.

On its own, it's a decent movie, you know, the valid person experiences a handicap situation that allows them to understand handicap. There's symmetry, as there is in love, some would call that reciprocity, but it's nicely constructed in the movie.

But like, I haven't followed the history of adaptations this work had, I just happened to read the original novella two months ago by complete chance, and this movie has almost nothing in common with the book. Not to spoil anything but the book is both more subtle, and more radical in it's approach. Well it's set in the 80s after all, life for impaired people was much harder back then.

Not that being different from the book is bad per se, they modernised and transformed, added value and bringing the title to a new audience and all that, as I've said it's a decent movie, but it's definitely noteworthy so I'm noting it.
Jun 25, 2021 2:48 PM

Apr 2020
A beautiful movie by Bones. Everything was on point : the art style, the soundtrack, the voice acting and the animation are beautifully well done. It's definitely a movie I'll remember. 9/10.

Yes the movie is pretty cliché sometimes, the story is simple and it has some flaws, but it is so beautifully executed that you don't even care about them.

I heard that the ending (and a lot of other things) of the live-action adaptation from 2003 was very much different from the anime adaptation (in a good way), so I like to think this is its very own story.

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Jun 26, 2021 7:22 AM

Jul 2020
Visually, one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. Bones really put work on this one. I can't really say the same thing story-wise. Some scenes feel a bit cliche. But hey it was still an enjoyable watch overall and I think that's the most important part.

I accept random friend requests!
Jun 26, 2021 8:26 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Big, rounded wild cat nearby them as Josee pet? How could i hate this one?

Ah, yes, this movie got a very good fmc. Pretty standard petite cute girl, honestly, but with the additional different she get, she still have her charm on me, instantly. Even if you are a heavy tsundere and very spoiled in the beginning. You are still fuckin cute, Josee.

Don't mind some tigers here and there. Because no matter shit, this is a very nice simple romance story about reaching all the dreams. It might be very cliche premises to begin. But, all of the plot executed in a nice way, especially with a little twist for Tsuneo reaching the understanding at Josee situations. Another good thing here, the supporting characters really did their job very well done, supporting those two until the end. They were not that deep, because its simply outstand the two mcs all-around.

So, as a simple guy who love such simple romance story, with the additional unique setting and plot behind all of them, with all of those symbolism too; like tiger, mermaid, etc. For some tigers around, these simple story might bugged them very much. But, for me, this is a well-worthed movie to enjoy, in your lonely time, or together with your couple. Its your call.

That's it all for me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 28, 2021 9:39 AM

Jan 2015
I'm a sucker for these types of stories. Something to just relax back to and watch, think nothing enjoy the beautiful scenes. After reading a bunch of philosophy the past month and not having watched anime in a long time, this was a really good watch for me. Now on to 86.
Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Jun 29, 2021 7:48 AM
Apr 2021
This movie is amazing
Jun 29, 2021 9:43 AM

Jun 2020
Good movie but what was the point of the other diver girl and her one-sided romance. That was just unnecessary drama. Where did it even come into play?
This anime shit is addictive
Jul 2, 2021 2:20 PM

Sep 2020
I didn't go into the movie with high expectations or anything so I enjoyed it. I did like the main character a lot (at least i think the boy was the main character). Josee got on my nerves a bit at times, but her reasons for being so moody are valid. I enjoyed the first half the most, the second half felt like it was trying a bit hard to be depressing. It was a pretty good movie, I don't know if I would watch it again by myself, probably just to show to a family member or something like that.
Jul 3, 2021 6:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Sacrificed a good portion of my sleep to watch this in a nearly full-packed theatre 12 stations away from my place, and I can confidently say that it was worth it!

In particular, the animation and aesthetics from Bones impressed me. I knew that it'd be good but just not that good. Josee's house, the water and the camera angles for some of the shots were just fantastic. Add to that, Evan Call's music, and that's most bases covered right there.

On the side of the story, there were a few visible drawbacks and it took a bit of time to warm up to Josee but once I did, the pacing kind of took off a little fast and I feel like I couldn't appreciate the developments enough. At least the Romance was substantial, I would've been ticked off had they removed these in place of more events and whatnot.

Really liked the after-credit scene and the visuals + Eve's Ao no Waltz during the ED theme were some of my fav bits! Cute little illustration by Josee to finish the movie off with, as well.

Tsuneo's accident plus the whole rehab and Josee's side of things was wonderful to watch! These two are just meant for each other. Also, their bonding moments in the first half were fun to watch. Not going to forget some of the Grandma's priceless expressions and reactions, lol.

Mai-san's sincere feelings for Tsueno was very touching and it's sad that we didn't get much of that aside from just propelling the relationship between the main duo. Taking on the villain role for a bit was really sweet too, she's a good woman indeed.

With all said and done, this is getting a solid 8/10 from me. I'm having a course this summer which involves the topic of human disabilities so it was all the more meaningful for me to watch Josee's struggles in the movie, or so I would like to think so.

I've heard the Japanese live-action (2003) takes a depressing turn for its finale and I'm usually in the mood for those from time to time so I might consider giving that a shot for then. I don't know if I'll be able to take it though, shed a few tears for this alone...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 4, 2021 9:10 PM

Jun 2014
Very solid movie overall. Has some iffy parts, but personally it exceeded my expectations greatly.

The part I'm least satisfied with is the ending - orange fish where? I really wanted to see that orange fish somewhere in the epilogue/credits...
Jul 6, 2021 4:41 AM

Jan 2021
To be honest after watching it, I can't get over it, it's only been what I've been thinking for the last 2 days
Jul 12, 2021 7:10 PM

Dec 2014
Just watched the premiere at my local theater.

Beautiful movie, I loved it. Full of life, charm and passion. The themes really resonated with me personally.

Some of the coincidences to start the movie might have been out of the left field but it was a very anime thing to do and I don't really thing it's something to find fault with.

The character dynamics were great, the first half was very cute and adorable. Tsuneo and Josee were great, I couldn't help but really like how they off handedly contrast the freedom of both characters. Tsuneo is a young man, full of life, chasing his dream and Josee is shackled to the ground by her disabilities and dependencies, only able to dream of what something could be like. For that exact reason, the amount of awe and expression on her face when she's finally able to experience all those new things was incredibly charming. You can feel the passion in every scene and I loved the part where she experiences the sea for the first time, beautiful stuff. I'm nothing if not a sucker for being shown the freedom of being able to do and experience the things you want.

The second half of the movie did get dramatic but I think it was handled really well. I personally related to Tsuneo during the accident as I went through the exact same thing when I was in college studying to achieve my dreams so I guess they got me good in terms of investment. Luckily for me, it wasn't as bad as Tsuneo. I kinda found it funny cause they show him having a conversation with his Mom about how he doesn't want them to come over and look after him cause it's not a big deal, I remember saying those exact same words to my own parents.

The most beautiful moment in the entire movie for me was when Josee tells her story, it was incredibly cathartic for me personally. Maybe it's because I went through the exact same experience but it really did bring out a lot of emotion in me, I had to pick myself up after the same way and perhaps that feeling of recognition that I did the same thing made this movie really worthwhile for me.

Honestly, the only fault I can find with this movie is that they cut to the dramatic events a little too fast for my liking with little to no build up. It's understandable cause they need to fit the story into movie length. I also think the romantic drama with Tsuneo's friend was probably not really required but outside of those things I think the movie is a beautiful showcase of freedom, passion, friendship, love and human spirit. I'm a sucker for these things so yeah, job well done Bones, you got me. Speaking of them, they did a terrific job with the production. The art was gorgeous, the animation was great and very expressive, you can tell they put a lot of passion into the movie. It really does show.

9/10

"As long as you have the wings of your heart, you can fly anywhere"
Jul 12, 2021 9:31 PM

Mar 2018
It was ok, had some cute moments with some emotion in there as well but nothing to write home about. I do give credit to the story telling scene towards the end as that was done pretty well.

The story contained many clichés with some done pretty decently and others feeling a little on the cheesy side, especially that deja vu of a scene where she slides down the hill again...albeit the scene after between them was cute enough to make up for it somewhat.

Visuals are lovely but visuals don't help much if the story can't match it.

7/10
Celest__Jul 12, 2021 9:39 PM
Jul 13, 2021 3:13 AM

Jul 2017
All in all, it was a really solid and by-the-books romantic drama.
It follows all the plot points you'd expect it to and as a result, plays it safe. As such, it can't help but be a solid film.
The characters are written well enough and there's some really charming moments throughout. Plus, the art and soundtrack were highlights of the film.

Nevertheless, I had a few more issues with the film than I thought I would going in.
I really feel like it could have benefitted from a longer run time. Maybe 15-25 more minutes? The plot was constantly moving forward, which worked in some ways. However, I feel like we needed more time to see the characters bond in the first half of the film.

Also, despite it being an obvious trope most people saw coming (and necessary to move the plot forward), the grandmother dying was extremely sudden. You can't avoid it being cliche, but I felt it should have been foreshadowed or built up to.

Lastly, there's just a lot of plot contrivances here. A prime example being the second instance of Josee rolling down the slope and flying into Tsuneo's arms.

In spite of all that, I still really enjoyed the film. Perhaps my expectations were just a bit too high.

8/10 for me.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jul 13, 2021 12:15 PM
Jan 2021
It was a bit too cliche and predictable for my liking if I’m to be completely honest. It was VERY dramatic, like maybe a bit too much so. What was the point of his friend being in love with him btw? I guess it was for added conflict but it really did practically nothing to enhance the story and kind of just came out of nowhere.
I enjoyed the animation and soundtrack quite a bit, especially the soundtrack. They did a very good job capturing the atmosphere and the music was very effective in achieving such. I also REALLY enjoyed the one scene where Josee reads the picture book she wrote and illustrated herself, I found that scene to be quite powerful actually. I thoroughly enjoyed that scene in particular.
I definitely wouldn’t say the movie was my favorite or anything, but I did find it pretty enjoyable when I watched it in the theater. I’m also kind of a sucker for stories about achieving your dreams.
I’d give it a 7/10. Maybe an 8/10 at most.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which version of the story is better?

Old_School_Akira - Jun 18, 2021

16 by Kimuraa_ »»
Apr 22, 8:28 AM

» Can you suggest similar hidden gems like this?

zSlayPaladin - Jan 16, 2023

46 by the_slothes »»
Jan 14, 3:40 AM

» Question about the ending

mechian - Dec 24, 2020

28 by merope28 »»
Jan 4, 8:48 PM

» movie ending exists.. protagonists be like Run

kakarotto354 - Sep 13, 2023

5 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Sep 14, 2023 8:47 AM

Poll: » Would you consider Josee to be one of your favourite Anime movies?

eclipsesonic - Jan 25, 2023

44 by BitChilly »»
Aug 22, 2023 4:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.