Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 11, 2013 4:47 PM

Sep 2012
That has to be one of the biggest overreactions I've ever witnessed! Awesome.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Sep 15, 2013 11:18 PM

Jul 2009
finally they focused more on Lunge and Eva :)

man Lunge is soo ruthless! trying to pressure his suspects as hard as possible.

and wow he doesn't sleep, he overworks too much and doesn't even know his daughter got pregnant!

lol what a boss!

i notice Lunge's daughter is voiced by Eri Kitamura(i think), but what about his wife?

she sounds like Miyuki Sawashiro!!

Eva is such lunatic :P

she sleeps around anyone yet still has feelings to Tenma!

i wonder what Lunge would think if he saw Johan's picture? :P

and wow the Gardener's wife came back after all!

and the Garderner's daughter is voiced by Endo Aya :)

so who's the seiyu of the wife? :D

lol Eva got what she deserves!!

she finally snaps!! wow what a crazy woman!

so both Lunge and Eva lost everything except Tenma :P

man Tenma better watch out!

btw there is a possibility that Johan could just be a personality of Tenma, but at the same time how could he kill someone when he's not even moving at all?

not to mention Nina saw Johan in the past episodes :P

and wow Nina is back!!!

next episode is gonna be ace!!!!!
Nov 11, 2013 7:49 PM

Sep 2011
its amazing that johan, a sociopathic killer that lacks any empathy is so much more likable than eva.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 25, 2013 10:41 PM

Nov 2013
that gardener is such a boss
Nov 28, 2013 6:17 AM

Sep 2011
I'm happy for the gardener.
Dec 20, 2013 10:47 PM

Mar 2013
Hope Eva didn't affect your view on women, because we are not all like that lol.
Jan 2, 2014 1:53 PM
Sep 2013
"On Christmas Day, I'm having a party at my house with my daughter. You're welcome to join us."

Best line ever.
Jan 7, 2014 9:13 AM

Mar 2013
I feel sorry for eva, even I, hating all her actions in the past, she, unlike johan still a human being. Lunge is a better detetive character than L, "we talk about that later" I lol'd.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 1, 2014 9:40 PM

Jan 2014
Bitches burning shit, you know she crazy lol

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Feb 8, 2014 1:34 AM

May 2013
Why are most females in this anime bitches?! Is this how the mangaka thinks most woman are :P
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 8, 2014 1:37 AM

Jun 2009
SaSa-Zoldyck said:
Why are most females in this anime bitches?! Is this how the mangaka thinks most woman are :P

I doubt you'll ever truly like Eva, but I think she is a very well crafted and written character by the end of the show. Nina never really was a bitch from what I remember.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 8, 2014 2:45 AM

May 2013
insan3Spectre said:
SaSa-Zoldyck said:

I doubt you'll ever truly like Eva, but I think she is a very well crafted and written character by the end of the show. Nina never really was a bitch from what I remember.

Hmm, thats good to hear but I wasn't just talking about Eva. Lunge wife and daughter and the gardner wife were also rotten females if you ask me.

Nina is cool so far :)
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 8, 2014 3:03 AM

Jun 2009
SaSa-Zoldyck said:
insan3Spectre said:
SaSa-Zoldyck said:

Hmm, thats good to hear but I wasn't just talking about Eva. Lunge wife and daughter and the gardner wife were also rotten females if you ask me.

Yeah, I didn't remember what happened this episode so I just used Eva and Nina because they are the two major female characters. In defense of the Wife and Daughter Lunge isn't exactly the greatest father/husband. His severe dedication to his job no doubt really severed their relationship, unfortunately it's easy to side with him because of his importance to the series but I think he is as guilty as the other two there.

Can't really speak much about the gardeners wife. Shit, I barely remember what happened at this point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 8, 2014 4:25 AM

May 2013
insan3Spectre said:
SaSa-Zoldyck said:
insan3Spectre said:
SaSa-Zoldyck said:

Yeah, I didn't remember what happened this episode so I just used Eva and Nina because they are the two major female characters. In defense of the Wife and Daughter Lunge isn't exactly the greatest father/husband. His severe dedication to his job no doubt really severed their relationship, unfortunately it's easy to side with him because of his importance to the series but I think he is as guilty as the other two there.

Can't really speak much about the gardeners wife. Shit, I barely remember what happened at this point.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on the Lunge issue, yeah he was not around for them but that doesn't excuse cheating or getting pregant by a random guy.

His wife should have left him if she couldn't take it anymore, can't respect cheaters -_-
And what was the deal with his daughter, what was he supose to do, investigate if the guys who are hitting his daughter use a rubber? She opened her legs, how can she blame her father for that?!
Feb 9, 2014 6:21 AM

May 2013
This was a fantastic episode. I don't care if it was filler or not, it gave us a fascinating look into Eva's mind. I'm pleasantly surprised that she's getting so much development. She's really sad and pathetic, in a way, but that's what makes her interesting.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 18, 2014 6:28 PM

Oct 2013
Awesome episode. That gardener seemed like such a great guy I was really happy that his wife returned to him but all I could say was "noooooo" when Eva approached the house, omg that is some harsh writing! I actually felt sorry for her. Now she's gone totally crazy lol.

For the love of life! lol
Mar 16, 2014 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
I'm happy for that gardener :)

Holy crap though, Eva is a maniac O__O
You better watch out Tenma, a lot of people want you dead.

I feel like sh*t just got even MORE real!
Mar 16, 2014 9:12 PM

May 2011
Is this the bitch of the century or what? >:D Fantastic reaction, just brilliant!
Mar 18, 2014 3:46 PM
May 2013
It almost feels like some Monster episodes get classed as filler when really they aren't filler, it's just slow-paced and it isn't always chronological. It almost reminds me of someone telling a story, where they remember some important background info as they are part-way through the story so they just add it in. I prefer a slower pace where it all fits and makes sense. By way of comparison, death note felt like they just threw all of the twists and turns of the plot in and then they were left in a position where they had no idea how to end it and they were just trying to tie it all together in a way that that made sense and was good to watch, and they couldn't do it (imo).
Apr 27, 2014 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
It's interesting to see more characters getting fleshed out. I really have nothing against Lunge but he's got nothing but bad luck because of his obsession with the truth. I think his wife and daughter wanted him to finally show emotion and try to make them stay so when he acted indifferent that was probably the true breaking point.

Can't say I like Eva but I really did feel for her this episode and her character is very intriguing. It was actually sweet to see her smile when she was about to knock and heard the daughter laughing behind the door. Too bad that was short lived, she went back to crazy woman mode and it looks like everyone is making someone else their life obsession in this series.
May 16, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
woah nigga went off the deep end

Jun 2, 2014 6:44 PM

Feb 2012
i'm happy the gardener's wife came home. and eva is a miserable bitch as always

Kayro said:
This almost seemed like a filler episode (or it might actually be a filler), but it was very good.

how? an important character's development was expanded upon. a character we haven't been shown much of yet aside from his fixation with tenma. it also gave a glimpse of what eva is.. up to. aside from that it was also made apparent that lunge is going devote himself to the sole case of tenma, which is important to know imo.
Jun 9, 2014 12:23 PM

Apr 2014
Not sure why people would think this anime has slow pacing and has fillers. Those are not fillers, those are exploration of the world of Monster which is vital for audiences to "feel" like the characters.

I just think if you don't enjoy the pacing, you probably have never really read a good book or simply a good story. You're not supposed to have everything handed to you right away. The build up of mood and tension, the presentation of the universe this story is set in, the experience and development of characters, are all fundamental parts of a great story like Monster.

If you don't get it, I would advice you don't continue.

Anyways, awesome episode. I felt disturbed seeing Eva behaving this obsessive and vengeful... I hope Tenma would be alright...
Jun 13, 2014 4:21 PM

Jul 2011
Noo! I dislike Eva, but when the gardener's wife came back and Eva approached the house... nooo! Nooo! Nooo! It would've been the one good thing that has happened to Eva, and maybe she would've become a good person. :(

I can't believe it's only been 14 episodes. I feel like so much has happened already, but it's nowhere near done.
Jul 13, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2013
Honestly, I admire Lunge's passion for his work dedicating all his time and effort and it was unfortunate for him after all that work to be taken of the cases he was working on, but he still didn't take the time to listen to what his family have to say, I wonder if he was any different before for him to actually even get a wife and have a daughter

I feel sorry for Eva, all she wants is to be loved deep down but has her heart broken when she attempts to take things seriously which is a huge bummer but I guess it's karma for all the men she led on despite having wives

Great episode!
Jul 21, 2014 5:02 PM

Apr 2012
disgusting that gardener took his fucking wife back after leaving him 4 another man
Sep 18, 2014 5:12 AM

Sep 2013
Lunge certainly isn't human, and Eva is too human- what seems to connect so many characters in this series is to what extent they truly are "monsters".
Sep 21, 2014 1:20 AM

Nov 2011
I wouldn't have known this was filler if I hadn't read it in the comments. It was totally devoted to character development, which is important for any series. In fact, it improves my opinion of the anime, so props to Madhouse if this wasn't in the manga.

Lunge truly is intriguing. His intellect isn't overplayed despite being present, and his devotion to his profession is being explored rather than simply "slapped on" as a character trait. The way he took being removed from most of his active cases separates him from the typical "bloodhound" type of detective, yet he seems totally fixated upon the criminals he catches... I hope to see more of this side of him going forward. I even felt sorry for him when his wife and daughter left him (coupled with his removal from most cases): He was being a crappy father/husband and it's certainly understandable that that would push them away. That's his fault. However, his wife should have known what sort of man he was when she married him, and she cheated on him at that. Leaving him first would have been more appropriate.

As for Eva... she's as much of a snake as always, but I do think the sympathetic side of her (what little there is) has been unearthed some in this episode. As she said out of her own mouth, she wants a man who won't oppose her. She is dominating, manipulative, and totally selfish. Yet, being human, she still wants to be loved. What Eva doesn't seem to understand is that her attitude and way of life simply isn't going to endear her to others in nearly any scenario. Even with the gardener, who could be considered a "miracle scenario" considering how rare it is to find such an understanding person, she pushed him away with her bitter, demeaning, and selfish words. In a sense, her finding the gardener back with his wife was a due recompense for her actions.

I don't fault her for wanting to be happy, for wanting to be loved. Yet, her way of doing things makes it hard for me to sympathize with her. How can she claim to love a man whom she now wishes to kill? That's not love. It's control. When Eva isn't in control, she freaks out, even to the point of burning down her own house. Eva is a very mentally disturbed person.

Also, she's sleazy. Yuck.

Solid episode. I saw Nina in the preview, so I'm looking forward to the next episode. I wonder how she's changed since we've last seen her.
Dec 17, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2014
Lunge is just as inteligent as Tenma, if not more. Now that he's full on catching him how long will it take him? Really hooked up.
Dec 26, 2014 10:12 PM

Mar 2014
Damn, that gardener was getting the cougar pussy. Great development for Eva. Makes her feel like a real character
Dec 29, 2014 4:12 PM

Dec 2013
Bitch got mad. No Tenma but still kept me entertained enough.
Jan 3, 2015 4:49 AM

Oct 2014
Wow that is one crazy bitch
Jan 29, 2015 10:52 PM

Nov 2013
This episode made me hate Eva even more. What a fucking psycho bitch leeching off men that come for her pussy.

Lunge is awesome. He's my favorite character in the show so far. He managed to make a secretary kill himself with words alone.

That ending was intense. What horrible timing for that poor family.

This episode was different as it focused around less important characters but it was great anyways. I'm gonna watch plenty more tonight.

8/10

Feb 11, 2015 4:11 PM

Mar 2013
Holy shit, she burned what she have. i didn't expect it. Now she can become a monster if she cannot find a man who loves her and does everything she says. lol
Feb 12, 2015 8:48 AM

Nov 2014
God, eva has some serious emotional problems. I actually for a second wanted her to calm down and be happy, she seems so lost.
And that scary detective has some messed up life, seriously does he have any emotions at all?
Feb 28, 2015 2:48 AM

Nov 2011
Felt sorry for Lunge, i do not care for Eva.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 7, 2015 10:23 PM

Aug 2014
I actually felt a bit sorry for Eva a bit at the scene when she was going to bring the present and visit the gardener and his daughter. Then the last scene played and I remembered how much I hate this bitch.
Mar 28, 2015 8:34 AM
Nov 2014
Damn that bitch is crazy, lol.

Decent episode.
Apr 7, 2015 11:25 PM
Jun 2013
She's lost her mind. This is really interesting. I definitely liked this one.
(Two characters are now dedicated to finding Tenma so how is this a filler episode? lol)
Apr 19, 2015 1:08 AM

Nov 2014
She is such a psycho

May 26, 2015 6:18 PM

May 2015
Personally I absolutely loved this episode. Everytime we get to see Tenma save lives I always smile. Of course it's also quite conflicting as we know that Tenma will eventually have to kill Johan. I'm really excited to see where the series goes, what you guys and gals?
In the argument of sub vs dub all I have to say is why not both? Cue the Mexican music!!!!
Jul 1, 2015 8:22 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 12, 2015 3:07 AM

Dec 2013
Eva continues to piss me off >.<
Aug 29, 2015 5:05 PM

May 2012
poor lunge... and dat bitch eva cray cray
Sep 22, 2015 11:40 PM
Sep 2015
So many thoughts in my head about this episode, but don't want to write a lot.
First of all, Damn Eva is one crazy evil woman!
Second, the inspector sure is strange. I like/hate him so much.
Oct 8, 2015 5:17 PM
Feb 2015
Wow Eva is a psychopath.
Dec 18, 2015 2:53 PM

May 2015
I'm scared of Eva lol she went full crazy!! And the gardener was such a sweet person. Really love the anime until now, I'm really excited about what will happen in these 70+ eps! Also, Lunge is DA BOMB
Dec 25, 2015 6:53 PM

May 2014
Sorry, but i was just laughing so hard at Eva's reaction xD like srsly, her eyes when looking through the window xDDD
Jan 3, 2016 8:12 PM
May 2014
That episode had all the subtlety of a sack of bricks to the face. Didn't exactly meet the standard of the rest of the series thus far.
Feb 6, 2016 12:41 AM

Jan 2016
Up until now the series has been a bit slow-paced, but I like it.
I have a liking for character development/insight episodes like this one and in the end, though Eva is quite a broken and unpleasant human being, I nevertheless felt sorry for her.
Anyway.. wow, cheating is rampant in Germany! O_o (or at least in this anime XD)
Firstly Lunge's wife (he was a neglecting husband and father, but she should have broken up with him rather than cheat on him.. cheating is always wrong -_-), then Eva's lover who was cheating on his wife, and finally the gardener's wife, who left him (and her daughter!) for another man.
I'm not sure why some are happy she came back.. if I were the gardener I wouldn't forgive her.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.