Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 13, 2020 10:40 AM

Aug 2019
im completely lost. what's more enjoyable to watch??? i keep on hearing different opinions so pls help. this is the first experience I'm having with this show so i want it to be good thx
Dec 13, 2020 10:43 AM

Jan 2009
better watch it in chronological order since if i remember right thats how the disc BD/DVD order of episodes are
Dec 13, 2020 10:43 AM
May 2018
Broadcast order / order of release, or airing.
Dec 13, 2020 10:44 AM

Sep 2014
it doesn't matter, really.
Dec 13, 2020 10:57 AM

Aug 2019
Hrybami said:

so is there like no difference.
Dec 13, 2020 11:01 AM

Sep 2014
gintokisbicep said:
Hrybami said:

so is there like no difference.

You won't like it more or like it less because of the watching order you choose. I watched it in chronological order and it was really good.
Dec 13, 2020 11:01 AM

Jul 2016
It really doesn't matter, I watched it in chronological order and I really enjoyed it.

-HH
Dec 18, 2020 3:50 PM

Sep 2015
Broadcast if want the anime creators' intended vision and a properly structured story.

Watch chronological if you want your show to climax halfway and end with a cour of side stories that end up feeling like filler when watched back to back.

The show itself isn't any worse, but your experience will be different depending on which you choose.
Also: I'd recommend only watching 2-3 episodes of endless eight.
Dec 19, 2020 7:51 AM

Sep 2018
Broadcast order will make you appreciate the mysteries behind the series much more. Even the fillers will be more enjoyable this way.

I can recommend a slightly modified order I found on Reddit: it's just like the broadcast order, except for Live Alive and Someday In The Rain, chronologically ep. 26 and 28, that should be watched last.

Once the second season came out, Live Alive makes more sense as a conclusion to the Sighs arc. Once the movie came out, Someday In The Rain makes more sense as a prologue to it. Everything else works great in scrambled order.

Sep 1, 2022 10:29 PM

Mar 2017
Nirinbo said:
Broadcast order will make you appreciate the mysteries behind the series much more. Even the fillers will be more enjoyable this way.

I can recommend a slightly modified order I found on Reddit: it's just like the broadcast order, except for Live Alive and Someday In The Rain, chronologically ep. 26 and 28, that should be watched last.

Once the second season came out, Live Alive makes more sense as a conclusion to the Sighs arc. Once the movie came out, Someday In The Rain makes more sense as a prologue to it. Everything else works great in scrambled order.

Cool, I'll start this way
Sep 21, 2022 11:09 PM
Sep 2021
Broadcasting department being high on drugs = "creators intended vision"

Sure love the bullshit some people spew
Sep 23, 2022 12:11 AM

May 2022
Nirinbo said:

I'm thinking of starting the series, but after reading this whole forum still a bit confused...
Are you sure that broadcast order is better? just confirming.
Sep 23, 2022 1:35 AM

Sep 2018
FreedomCanned said:
Broadcasting department being high on drugs = "creators intended vision"

Sure love the bullshit some people spew

No, it's not such a cryptic choice that must be compared to being high on drugs: they just wanted to put the climax at the end of the season instead of right in the middle.

Learn to use the mocking spongebob meme better

Jinx_Araragi said:
Nirinbo said:

I'm thinking of starting the series, but after reading this whole forum still a bit confused...
Are you sure that broadcast order is better? just confirming.

I'm 100% sure broadcast is better, then of course everyone's taste is different.

The main arc (Melancholy I-VI) is in the right order even if you follow the broadcast order. The only difference between broadcast and chronological is the placement of the self-contained episodes.
Sep 23, 2022 7:27 AM

May 2022
@Nirinbo Thanks, big help
Sep 27, 2022 12:04 AM
Sep 2021
And that, kids, is why you shouldn't use drugs
Nov 19, 2022 11:58 AM
Sep 2019
title says it all, in what order am i meant to go through the show? it seems there's a broadcast order and a chronological order. anyone know what's the order the creators intended for the show to be watched?
Nov 19, 2022 12:05 PM

Feb 2016
Chronological order is closer to the order the books were written.
その目だれの目?
Nov 19, 2022 12:37 PM
Dec 2020
fucking monogatari fans

watch season 1 and s2
Nov 19, 2022 12:42 PM
Dec 2020
ashsea said:
title says it all, in what order am i meant to go through the show? it seems there's a broadcast order and a chronological order. anyone know what's the order the creators intended for the show to be watched?

looking at your list you will hate it
Nov 19, 2022 12:43 PM
Sep 2019
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
fucking monogatari fans

watch season 1 and s2

mate... i haven't even watched monogatari so definitely not a fan. just wanted to know in which order i'm supposed to watch the episodes.
Nov 19, 2022 12:45 PM
Sep 2019
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
ashsea said:

looking at your list you will hate it

idk looks interesting enough to at least check it out
Nov 19, 2022 12:47 PM
Jul 2022
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
fucking monogatari fans

watch season 1 and s2

Bruh some shows have a weird watch order don’t loop us in with every show with that
Nov 19, 2022 12:52 PM
Jan 2021
Don’t watch it. Haruhi is an evil that corrupts your brain endlessly.
Nov 19, 2022 12:58 PM
Dec 2020
BDazzler said:
Don’t watch it. Haruhi is an evil that corrupts your brain endlessly.

i forgot it so you're lying
Nov 19, 2022 1:01 PM
Apr 2022
ashsea said:

Doesn’t really matter. But if you wanna feel special watch it in chronological order, though broadcast order feels more normal
Nov 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Apr 2016
ashsea said:

Chronological is the best, although it can be weird (the final chapter not being the final chapter).
But it's the VN order and the broadcast order has no sense
Nov 19, 2022 2:42 PM
Jul 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
fucking monogatari fans

watch season 1 and s2

This is Haruhi tho
Nov 19, 2022 2:43 PM
Dec 2020
misterinfoman said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
fucking monogatari fans

watch season 1 and s2

This is Haruhi tho

there is a season 1 and a season 2
Nov 19, 2022 2:48 PM
Jul 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
misterinfoman said:

This is Haruhi tho

there is a season 1 and a season 2

It’s a weird case, cause they aired the episodes out of order as a joke. It should be normal on pirate sites so, your teca right.
Nov 19, 2022 4:16 PM
Aug 2019
Relase order is a joke, what chronically.
Depending on where you watch it they might be already in order and merged (s1 and s2 mixed together)
"Anime was a mistake." - Hayao Miyazaki
"Please check my page here •-•" - Me
"No, owomachine. I won't hit you since you don't deserve to live in a nice isekai world" - Truck-kun
Nov 20, 2022 2:40 AM

Sep 2018
Broadcast order exists because s1 is made of one main arc with a big climax + some self contained episodes that chronologically happen later, but at that time they wanted to leave the big climax for the end. That's why it's not completely scrambled: the main arc is still in the correct order, with the self contained episodes in-between.

Watching those episodes earlier leaves a sense of bewilderment in a good way, because they're meant to be light-hearted while also showing that some things don't feel right, and those things will become clearer as you progress through the first arc.
Nov 20, 2022 4:12 AM
May 2021
you can watch it in basically any order. i watched it in the broadcast order which i loved .then watch dissapearance which is peak.
AshikhiNov 23, 2022 1:39 PM
Nov 20, 2022 4:18 AM
Nov 2020
Lucifrost said:
Chronological order is closer to the order the books were written.

I agree with this. And I will add it’s more enjoyable watching it this way. Also you don’t have to watch the entire endless eight unless you want to.
Nov 20, 2022 6:03 AM

Feb 2016
Nirinbo said:
Watching those episodes earlier leaves a sense of bewilderment in a good way, because they're meant to be light-hearted while also showing that some things don't feel right, and those things will become clearer as you progress through the first arc.

I think I'd have had a harder time enjoying "Boredom" and "The Day of Sagittarius" on their own merits if they'd interrupted my favorite arc. They'd have felt like filler. And with so many of these "fillers," I may have even forgotten the main plot by the time I got to the end.
その目だれの目?
Nov 20, 2022 7:06 AM

Sep 2018
Lucifrost said:
Nirinbo said:

I think I'd have had a harder time enjoying "Boredom" and "The Day of Sagittarius" on their own merits if they'd interrupted my favorite arc. They'd have felt like filler. And with so many of these "fillers," I may have even forgotten the main plot by the time I got to the end.

"Boredom" is one of the prime examples of episode that becomes better thanks to the broadcast order: it feels like a filler, but you can sense that

But wanting to watch the entire Melancholy arc without interruptions makes sense too. In the end, only OP can know what would be the best for them.
Nov 20, 2022 8:45 AM

Dec 2019
Personally, I think broadcast is a better order for most people, but a big reason for that is that people are confused when season 1 ends in the middle of the endless eight, and season 2 ends in a filler episode. When that happens, some of them get upset. However, since you know about the two orders, you wouldn't be confused.
I still recommend the broadcast order, but you can do whatever.
Nov 20, 2022 10:55 AM

Feb 2016
fluffycow17 said:
people are confused when season 1 ends in the middle of the endless eight, and season 2 ends in a filler episode.

Chronological order doesn't have seasons. It's a single season of 28 episodes. TRUE broadcast order would mean rewatching season 1, because it was combined with season 2 when the latter aired.
その目だれの目?
Nov 20, 2022 11:32 AM

Dec 2019
Lucifrost said:
fluffycow17 said:
people are confused when season 1 ends in the middle of the endless eight, and season 2 ends in a filler episode.

Chronological order doesn't have seasons. It's a single season of 28 episodes. TRUE broadcast order would mean rewatching season 1, because it was combined with season 2 when the latter aired.

We literally talked about the same exact thing a year ago. lol

Edit: Crunchyroll does have it as a mega season now, but I think that people are still confused and upset at the end of the series. Personally, I think it would be better if there were two entities on streaming services. One that the "broadcast" order, and another that's the chronological order. I know there's technically no "broadcast" order, but streaming services being clear on the fact there are two viable orders would make everything less confusing for the average viewer.
fluffycow17Nov 20, 2022 11:54 AM
Nov 20, 2022 12:32 PM

Feb 2016
fluffycow17 said:
We literally talked about the same exact thing a year ago. lol

Sorry about that.

streaming services being clear on the fact there are two viable orders would make everything less confusing for the average viewer.

I imagine the people running those services do not want people watching the broadcast order. Streaming the show is now as simple as clicking episode 1. More orders makes it more confusing because newcomers don't know which one is best. The only point of yours I will concede is that "Someday in the Rain" will annoy viewers who don't know of it in advance. It is easily the worst episode in the series.

How are you enjoying the novels?
LucifrostNov 20, 2022 12:37 PM
その目だれの目?
Nov 20, 2022 1:07 PM
Jan 2022
the whole series is super overhyyed and has aged poorly especially the movie. im not saying this so that you dont watch it just so that you watch it with more realistic standards and gain more enjoyment. also do not watch broadcast order
Nov 20, 2022 5:28 PM
Sep 2019
Nirinbo said:
Lucifrost said:

"Boredom" is one of the prime examples of episode that becomes better thanks to the broadcast order: it feels like a filler, but you can sense that

But wanting to watch the entire Melancholy arc without interruptions makes sense too. In the end, only OP can know what would be the best for them.

ended up going with broadcast order, enjoying it so far, i'm on ep 4 (or ep 7 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes#Season_1)
Nov 27, 2022 7:42 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019