Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you prefer the old or new highschool DxD art
Dec 7, 2020 9:58 AM

Sep 2019
I just finished the other seasons of highschool DxD and got onto highschool DxD hero and I just can't stand how the art looks, I can't believe they made Akeno and Rias look like this, my god (I don't think the art is bad, I just feel like it doesn't fit the show).

So I'm just wondering if people prefer how the new art looks and why, maybe I'll see some positives.
Dec 7, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
It's common occurrence for studio change. It could actually get much worse.

Dec 7, 2020 10:08 AM

Jul 2020
The first few season's artworks was definitely better, but I did like the rework on Asia better tbh. Much more modern.
Dec 7, 2020 10:13 AM

Oct 2016
I only watched the first three seasons but I have seen the art style of the fourth. I like the previous one better, even though the latter looks more like the light novel series.
Dec 7, 2020 10:15 AM
Jun 2020
The poll is going as it should go. I'm happy because Season 4's art-style is dogshit.
Dec 7, 2020 10:18 AM

Mar 2018
While I do prefer the 1-3 art style, I actually really love how bright season 4 looks. It didn't take away anything from the show when I watched it.
Dec 7, 2020 10:20 AM

Oct 2019
The change in studio was due to lack of budget and because the author hated the creative liberties they took.
In fact he even said in an interview that Passione asked his opinion and insights in the adaptation so he, as the creator, was pleased with the change.
So if you really hated it, in the off-chance we get another season it would still be produced by them
Regarding the fans opinion:
Everyone hated the change, because TNK artstyle was superb.
Aesthetically beautiful and superior in almost every way. That is a fact.
Although, this is closer or similar to the way they actually look in the LN so it's easy to adapt.
If you were an Anime only it might have been unbearable to watch. Asia looks better now. But no so much as a consolation prize though.
RandomGuyScottDec 7, 2020 10:27 AM
Dec 7, 2020 10:33 AM

Oct 2010
I am not a hater, the studio change was really needed because TNK destroyed the LN material and I read somewhere that Passione couldn't use TNK's designs. Anyways, I think they could've done a better job, the LNs are insanely popular and the fans deserve some cool artstyle, DxD is not Kimetsu, they don't need good animation to make up for the story, in the end, the result was sub par, the characters look inferior to TNK's but also look bad to the regular eye. Well, at least they followed the LNs, so they pleased the fans in that area.

and a pic to prove it, just look at this
Dec 7, 2020 10:37 AM
Apr 2013
Finally a season 4 of a show worth talking about. God bless you, @DiamondBaka .

I think most people liked the old artstyle more, I belong to those. However, I want to mention that I got used to it after a few episodes, and that I prefered season 4 in contrast to season 3. So, while yes, the art might not be as nice, I still would recommend this season to every fan of the series, even though the art style is ... new, to not be as negative.
Dec 7, 2020 10:59 AM
Oct 2019
Xenovia looked cool and sexy in TNK version but the passione made her look more cute and I hate that new hairstyle of her. And I didn't felt that immersed in passione animation compared to TNK. But still anyway I am happy dxd got another season.
Dec 7, 2020 11:02 AM

Oct 2013
I dont prefer any of the art styles because its just surface level thinking. Akeno best girl regardless of the art style she is in as far as Im concerned and Id bang any version in a heart beat if I could
Dec 8, 2020 1:36 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread moved to the series sub-board.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Dec 9, 2020 8:07 PM
Dec 2020
Season 5 hope rilis🔥
It's very best anime
Dec 11, 2020 3:29 PM
Oct 2020
Catalano said:
and a pic to prove it, just look at this
Rias looks pretty in both pictures to me. I also like the first style better, but I got used to the new one in a couple of episodes.

The thing that left me dumbfounded was actually the start of the show with the Oppai Dragon song - I assume that's how it's written in the LN, but I much preferred the way that was handled in season 3.
Dec 11, 2020 4:02 PM

Jul 2017
Older of course, no question. Making the characters pudgy af like that is a huge downgrade. The same happened to Higurashi Gou. We live in sad times bruh :(

Jan 9, 2021 1:11 AM
Apr 2018
the franchise is dead to me season 4 is not canon just badly written and animated fanfiction
Dec 29, 2021 9:31 PM
Apr 2018
To be completely honest, I like the new art style change because Asia's breasts & butt got bigger & Koneko's warming up 2 Issei & Akeno & Rias r still hot. Same w/ Irina, Xenovia, Ravel & Rossweisse.
AlPinkOtaku4LifeDec 29, 2021 9:38 PM
Jan 4, 2022 7:52 AM
Jan 2015
Lets be honest, despite faithful story the downgrade of art failed to twitch our dicks like they used to in old art style. Facevalue of the old dxd were the art and character designs were hot and beautiful. Now its like presenting ecchi scenes for the sake of it without good art.
Jan 5, 2022 7:15 PM
Dec 2021
I don't like how my girl Akeno looks so slim, hope Season 5 has done justice to the animation department
Jan 5, 2022 10:06 PM

Jan 2020
The old style is just way more memorable and pleasing to look at

Jan 16, 2022 8:49 AM

Nov 2019
Art-style is bad, but not for all characters.
Animation is better.
And they have done more justice to the LN storyline than most other adaptations nowadays. So I don't complain.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jan 28, 2022 2:49 PM
Dec 2020
I completed seasons 1-3 in 3 days and honestly, this is atrocious. The only other anime that I've watched from this studio is "Mieruko-chan" and they did an amazing job there, but unfortunately they screwed up big time here.
Jan 15, 2023 5:06 PM
Sep 2019
The comparison is very different from the previous season, season 4 looks bad in my opinion especially for Rias's character when compared to the previous season it looks bad, and changes in color
Jan 23, 2023 9:46 PM

Nov 2018
Both styles are good for different reasons.

The old character designs are good because they are classic and memorable.

The new character designs are good because as someone who's up to date with the LN, they closely resemble the LN art.

When S5 or S6 onwards come around, new characters are gonna appear. When that happens, the studio needs to refer to the LN artwork for the designs. Hence why the change is necessary. Plus the old designs needed to be updated for modernization reasons. If we continue using those designs, it's like the series is stuck in the late 2000's.

Plus the big benefit for the new art and designs is it allows the studio to use more fluid animation. As action-heavy as the series is, it's necessary.

On the upside, I think Passione will slightly tweak the designs a bit to make them match the LN even closer. I think Hero is them experimenting on the designs, and using this season to refine the artwork for future works.

If Ishibumi is pleased with the changes and is sticking with the studio from now on, then I don't think we have much right to complain about it.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jan 30, 2023 11:25 AM

Mar 2016
Attackonfiller said:
Older of course, no question. Making the characters pudgy af like that is a huge downgrade. The same happened to Higurashi Gou. We live in sad times bruh :(
Facts...... It's huge downgrade the artstyle and fighting scene, less dark.

New season 4 make looks like a child artstyle.

TNK was better.
SametTakaoFeb 5, 2023 4:41 PM
Feb 5, 2023 4:03 AM
Feb 2022
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT!!! I can't pull myself together to watch season 4 because of the stupid art style change. WHY DID THEY CHANGED IT! I DON'T SEE THEM AS THE SAME CHARACTERS ANYMORE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Apr 23, 6:58 PM
Dec 2019
Since this came up again with a friend of mine and we both agreed the new artstyle is just a massive downgrade, I wanted to have a look around for what others thought about it.

And all I see is disappointing to me. People preferring the new artstyle because it's "closer to the LNs" the only thing closer to the LNs is MAYBE the style of the eyes. The previous style had a much more 'faithful' if you will take on the hairstyles and uniforms. Either way closer to the LN's style does not mean better at all. Even if you said Manga rather than LNs, where there's a handful of cover illustrations where I'd agree it looks more close towards that, looking at the artstyle for the manga panels... season 1-3 matched that more closely than season 4 does.

I have to wonder if this is people trying to cope themselves into thinking this new artstyle is better simply because they're just hoping for more of the plot. Because admittedly Season 4 is incredibly faithful to the source material plot wise, which can't be said about how season 3 ended went, so I get that. I read the LNs (up to volume 20 at least at the point of writing, more soon, I guess) and well, I know the source now. But going into why the new studio is a better pick for faithfulness of the story has nothing to do with the downgrade in artstyle.

Note: I watched season 4 AFTER having already switched to reading the LNs, so I was just watching the new stuff as it came hoping to see it in animation and not just down to my imagination and a handful of illustrations every so often (which, of course I don't mind that, but there's something about 2D anime tiddies in action that is better experienced in animation).
And one scene where I really noticed my distaste for the new artstyle was during the rating game with Sairaorg. I was looking through the Gremory household characters present and I have to admit... seeing them all close together in this new artstyle... everyone's faces look just about identical. if it weren't for hair or eye colour (when bodies/breasts aren't in frame) I could not tell you who's who. Like it got to the point where I had to actively search for Kiba and be uncertain with my identification. The vague, roundness to the linearts, almost leaning towards chibi, aka the pudginess of everyone's cheeks and their eyes seeming further apart.. it makes them seem so derpy on top of everything. It's not like I couldn't get used to it either, I did manage to finish the season after all, and other anime like Clannad have peculiar art style choices. But at least those stayed consistent all the way through.
Also we're talking about professionals here. If they WANTED to keep the previous artstyle but lacked the budget or something, they could've still had something that was closer to it but perhaps a little simpler and while there - of course - would have still been complaints because even minor changes happen to be noticeable (I mean look at One Punch Man season 2. there's a quality dip there too, but at least the new studio didn't change the style to be unrecognizable even) there wouldn't be such a large disparity between those who like it and those who don't and less excuses for why the quality dipped.

Oh right, and sure, fluidity of animation. Genuinely that's more a show of the time. More modern studio, improved expertise, perhaps the new director for putting together how the action should go is better... but that's also not an "artstyle" thing. Though if you're claiming the new style being easier to animate fluidly, perhaps there's something there, but again we're dealing with professionals here.

All in all, the course correction plot wise? W move, love being back on track. Art wise? hell no, please ACTUALLY go closer to the LN's art style and remove the excessive pudginess, or aim to do more like before. If there even is going to be a season 5, which at this point I doubt will ever come to be.
Apr 23, 8:02 PM

Apr 2021
They look fine. This is still one of the worst cases of people severely overreacting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2018

78 by Andr6969 »»
Jun 7, 6:41 PM

» Season 5 Confirmed!!!

Hachii13 - May 3

40 by filthyfrank8142 »»
May 6, 3:44 AM

» Season 5 possibility

Homura24 - Jun 11, 2023

44 by KrishanMCK »»
Mar 29, 7:11 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

74 by ajay173 »»
Mar 8, 1:55 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

99 by EngeLxS »»
Feb 20, 3:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.