Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 25, 2020 5:48 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:
Well Lina is about even with Miyuki, she mainly lost due to strategy and underestimating her. She was also starting to suffer fatigue towards then end of that final clash, since it was her 3rd fight in a row that night.
Not really, Miyuki was literally about to kill her. She wasn't that fatigued judging by how normal she was once Tatsuya stopped the battle. Keep in mind Miyuki underestimated her too but she will technically won.

Yes really

Miyuki never underestimated her either unless you can prove otherwise.
-MahesvaraOct 25, 2020 5:55 PM
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 6:20 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
Not really, Miyuki was literally about to kill her. She wasn't that fatigued judging by how normal she was once Tatsuya stopped the battle. Keep in mind Miyuki underestimated her too but she will technically won.

Yes really

Miyuki didn't think that she would've had to have a portion of her powers unsealed for the duel which shows how she underestimated her opponent. Also, keep in mind Miyuki didn't even have access to her full power in the battle against Lina.
Oct 25, 2020 6:32 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:

Yes really

Miyuki didn't think that she would've had to have a portion of her powers unsealed for the duel which shows how she underestimated her opponent. Also, keep in mind Miyuki didn't even have access to her full power in the battle against Lina.
Tatsuya temporary lifted his limiter to give her back full control over her magic, so she was indeed at full strength.
If you're referring to having full access to her powers meaning her unique abilities(i.e Cocytus), the same can be said for Lina(i.e HMB)., so that point would be mute and would just lead into speculation and hypotheticals.
-MahesvaraOct 25, 2020 6:38 PM
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 6:39 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:

Tatsuya temporary lifted his limiter to give her back full control over her magic, so she was indeed at full strength.
Lifting the limiter doesn't give Miyuki full control over her magic, it only gives her a portion. If it was that easy for Tatsuya to lift his entire limiter he wouldn't even have it in the first place. Just like Tatsuya, even when Miyuki releases his limiter for a limited time, he doesn't have full access to his power because Miyuki is still technically acting as his key.
So no she didn't have full strength.
strooburyOct 25, 2020 6:45 PM
Oct 25, 2020 6:45 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:
Lifting the limiter doesn't give Miyuki full control over her magic, it only gives her a portion. Just like Tatsuya, even when Miyuki releases his limiter for a limited time, he doesn't have full access to his power because Miyuki is still technically acting as his key.
Look I'm well aware of what happens, but nothing states that the temporary lift doesn't restore their full strength to my knowledge.
Unless you can give me a direct quote that proves otherwise.
-MahesvaraOct 25, 2020 6:55 PM
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 7:18 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
Lifting the limiter doesn't give Miyuki full control over her magic, it only gives her a portion. Just like Tatsuya, even when Miyuki releases his limiter for a limited time, he doesn't have full access to his power because Miyuki is still technically acting as his key.
Look I'm well aware of what happens, but nothing states that the temporary lift doesn't restore their full strength to my knowledge.
strooburyOct 25, 2020 7:22 PM
Oct 25, 2020 7:30 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:
She doesn't have to supply the power when its temporarily lifted though, cause she takes back her power when either of them releases it. Again I ask, give me a direct quote that proves otherwise instead of your own speculation.
-MahesvaraOct 25, 2020 7:34 PM
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 7:34 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
She doesn't have to supply the power when its temporarily lifted though, cause the spell is essentially put on pause. Again I ask, give me a direct quote that proves otherwise instead of your own speculation.
Dude, Lina herself even admits that Miyuki is stronger than her. In volume 11, Linas inner monologue is:
She herself admits that Tatsuya and Miyuki are on another level than her when she sees Miyuki using Cocytus.
Oct 25, 2020 7:50 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:
She doesn't have to supply the power when its temporarily lifted though, cause the spell is essentially put on pause. Again I ask, give me a direct quote that proves otherwise instead of your own speculation.
Dude, Lina herself even admits that Miyuki is stronger than her. In volume 11, Linas inner monologue is:
She herself admits that Tatsuya and Miyuki are on another level than her when she sees Miyuki using Cocytus.
What does this have to do with what we were talking about earlier with the limiter? You're just changing the topic now. And that quote doesn't say anything about her feeling inferior just her utter shock of what happened.
So far you've proved nothing really. If you want to believe Miyuki is stronger, thats fine, but at the end of the day that's just speculation cause nothing fully proves it. Plus even if that's true, the difference would be minuscule at best. On the other hand the narration does depict them as equals, so I'm gonna still consider them as such until it can truly be proven otherwise. I suggest we end this, cause I don't think this conversation will go anywhere at this point.
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 8:03 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
What does this have to do with what we were talking about earlier with the limiter? You're just changing the topic now. And that quote doesn't say anything about her feeling inferior just her utter shock of what happened.
So far you've proved nothing really. If you want to believe Miyuki is stronger, thats fine, but at the end of the day that's just speculation cause nothing fully proves it. Plus even if that's true, the difference would be minuscule at best. On the other hand the narration does depict them as equals, so I'm gonna still consider them as such until it can truly be proven otherwise. I suggest we end this, cause I don't think this conversation will go anywhere at this point.
It's literally implying that Lina knows she would've been even more screwed if Miyuki actually used Cocytus within the duel. You're just saying I haven't proven anything or given you evidence cause you refuse to accept the truth even when I've quoted the novel multiple times for you, lmao sounds like ur mad cause I'm right but ok buddy you can end the convo since you seem like you're done. I hope that you don't shame other people in the future for their points by using speculation as an excuse cause it's not.
Oct 25, 2020 8:13 PM
Jan 2015
stroobury said:
-Mahesvara said:
It's literally implying that Lina knows she would've been even more screwed if Miyuki actually used Cocytus within the duel. You're just saying I haven't proven anything or given you evidence cause you refuse to accept the truth even when I've quoted the novel multiple times for you, lmao sounds like ur mad cause im right but ok buddy you can end the convo since you seem like you're done.
That argument is silly, cause that duel was not to the death, so Cocytus was a no go.
You gave me one vague quote and that's it, that's hardly compelling proof. "lmao ur mad" That's what people tend to say when they have nothing else to back up their comments. Well I already ignored your alt, so guess i'll do the same again now(you didn't hide yourself very well btw).
My Queens

Oct 25, 2020 8:25 PM
Oct 2018
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
It's literally implying that Lina knows she would've been even more screwed if Miyuki actually used Cocytus within the duel. You're just saying I haven't proven anything or given you evidence cause you refuse to accept the truth even when I've quoted the novel multiple times for you, lmao sounds like ur mad cause im right but ok buddy you can end the convo since you seem like you're done.
That argument is silly, cause that duel was not to the death, so Cocytus was a no go.
You gave me one vague quote and that's it, that's hardly compelling proof. "lmao ur mad" That's what people tend to say when they have nothing else to back up their comments. Well I already ignored your alt, so guess i'll do the same again now(you didn't hide yourself very well btw).
Nielfhim almost killed her anyway so it doesn't really matter. Didn't know some people took the phrase "lmao ur mad" so deeply but do whatever makes you feel better. Also, I wasn't trying to hide myself but ok I guess?
Oct 25, 2020 9:20 PM
Oct 2020
-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:
She doesn't have to supply the power when its temporarily lifted though, cause she takes back her power when either of them releases it. Again I ask, give me a direct quote that proves otherwise instead of your own speculation.
Yes she does. Miyuki must ALWAYS supply the power. There is no "container" seal that she preemptively fills up and then doesn't have to use her magic to keep the seal in place. If that were the case she would have random bouts where her magical ability sky rockets because she isn't sealing Tatsuya.

Further evidence that there is no "temporary reservation period" on the sealing is the fact that if she were to
If this were not true then that would mean she could use that magic to unseal it at some point which she can not.

-Mahesvara said:
stroobury said:

Until Tatsuya's upgrade Miyuki has among the best counters in the world for it.

Unfortunately, Miyuki has Zone Interference which is so powerful that even the most powerful magicians in the world have difficulties with it. She also has Deceleration Zone. This may be enough to outright shut down Brionac if she has full access to her magic, something even Tatsuya would have trouble with until FAE upgrades. The problem is that LINA has no counter for Miyuki aside from ultra range snipes, and even that may only work if Miyuki is not aware and using Deceleration Zone, which is a special variant of the normal ability and she may be the only magician in the world with enough magical power and control to use it. It extends to gasses and molecules and becomes a rather overpowered ability. This is before even considering her additional actual magical barriers which would be abnormally potent due to her magical power (as seen defending Tatsuya).

You quoted it, yourself: "The match between Miyuki and Lina had never been a competition of
magic power, but was to be decided by who could keep calm and
make the most rational decisions." This is because in terms of magical power Miyuki CRUSHES Lina with even a minor boost as seen (Lina would have died if Tatsuya did not interfere), don't even get started on her true power. Fatigue meant nothing in terms of combat power because it was never a battle between those two factors as Lina simply loses there. Period. The novel is very explicit about this. In the anime and manga, though, its scrapped entirely because it makes no sense. Not to mention even Lina didn't realize she had any level of fatigue going on, and it was likely an over description to begin with aka a mistake on the LN author's part as those particular fights don't even entail a chance to be fatigued.

In terms of rational, planning, keeping cool, etc. Lina was capable and able to identify to an extent but Miyuki was simply beyond her several steps ahead and Lina realized she was at a dead end and went for an all in. Bad decision, but she didn't actually have a choice. This goes with the concept of overwhelming might negates strategy, but her opponent had better strategy than even Lina and far better cool. Its ironic, because Lina is very capable from a strategic standpoint but she is somewhat immature in tight situations and on an emotional level to which Tatsuya has even said she isn't cut out to be a soldier, personality wise. Lina got played by Miyuki.

In addition, in the light novel which you choose to avoid also sharing from that section...

Lina says: "At that moment, I most certainly was being overpowered. If I had transferred capacity to another magic in that state, I likely could have been overwhelmed by Miyuki's magic and lost my life. At the least, I would have been in no condition to fight further."

Lina's strong, but she is not Miyuki's equal. When Miyuki is sealed she is at least within that ballpark, though, but once AGAIN Miyuki is a bad match up for her. Miyuki counters her deftly. Even if Lina's power was brought up to Miyuki's level while they might be rated as equals in such an instance she would still be countered by Miyuki in a duel situation. Of course, your going to try to argue that for the nth time... even though your argument would be the same as say a demi-god being nearly unstoppable but then a level 1 character has some odd super hard counter and then trying to call them "equals". It doesn't work that way.
Oct 26, 2020 1:53 AM

Oct 2017
Really??? no one is gonna talk about this?????

Oct 26, 2020 2:11 AM
Oct 2020
Planas said:

hahaha,
from miyuki reaction, I'm sure she was expecting kiss on her lips.

Lina expression after that was priceless.
Oct 26, 2020 8:09 AM

Feb 2014
Planas said:

What? The hold? The stare? Or dem cheeks?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 26, 2020 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
My "Onii-sama" quota has been filled to maximum today. Good stuff! =P

Joking aside, this episode was really good. The duel between Tatsuya and Lina ended as I thought it would, but it was pretty exciting to see Miyuki challenge Lina to a 1v1 fight. It was a tense fight and Tatsuya had to intervene in the end, but Lina did concede defeat, which was pretty respectable of her.

Although, the following scene the next morning, Lina went into tantrum mode and boy did it make me laugh. She's a serious girl, but she can act like a kid when things don't go her way sometimes. XD

Miyuki was spot on when she told Tatsuya that he has become kinder to those around him and does certainly show. Nice smile at the end, Miyuki. =3
Oct 26, 2020 11:43 AM

Aug 2008
Miyuki angry was everything! xD What an episode.
Oct 26, 2020 1:25 PM
Aug 2019
Ferrones said:
ghier said:
The series seems to have lost the logical consistency it had in the first season. This episode kind of cinched it for me. I don't really know what is going on in all the magic fights ... especially this last one with Miyuki and Lina. It felt fake ... and like a fight from any other magic high school show.

In the first season, I could usually understand most of what happened with the magic and -- because of that -- nothing felt fake. I could watch the show out of an interest in the magic alone. Even if it wasn't immediately obvious how things worked, the way the magic was presented would make it seem as if it had an explanation ... of which I would want to seek out. Where is that magic? I don't want arbitrary B.S. that just looks cool. If I wanted that, I'd go watch SAO. That lightning vs. freezing crap did not work. And stop calling out the name of the magic! They didn't do that before, so why do they need to do it now?

And it isn't just the magic. Character interactions and events in the story don't feel as real as it did before either. Lina was supposedly about to kill Tatsuya for discovering her identity. If her identity was that important, why the hell is she at that school? She pretty much gave her identity away almost immediately. Wouldn't she have to kill students if she slipped up? She's pretty goddamn carefree given what the consequences are.
Also, why does she have to kill him? Wouldn't that create lots of tension between USNA and Japan ... if a USNA soldier killed a Japanese citizen, not-to-mention one of the most promising magicians in Japan (as far as she knows)? Wouldn't that be worse than her identity being discovered? This kind of s*** is important man. Don't just write whatever.

I'm also not liking how the show is more heavy-handed with the incest vibes. Last season it was usually more of a joke just to play off of how close the siblings are; now it's like they're actually in love ... wtf. Don't do that please.

Still gonna keep watching though. I'm too attached to the show not to.

They don't need to call out the name of the magic, they are doing this for anime-only people, that's just how the 8bit studio decided to do in this adaptation. There was no explanation for magic this episode because they thought that this would kill the tension during fight. She is at this school to have an excuse for being in Japan, magicians can't normally travel overseas because they are national military assets. The incest vibes are integral part of the show, so they will be there

To clarify, I want it to be made specifically for anime rather than mostly just as an adaptation for fans of the light novel ... like it was in the first season. I guess it could be too tall a task to ask for, but I'm not angry with 8bit studios in particular because I'm sure there are reasons for why the delivery was like this; I'm just upset with the outcome because it isn't up to the standard that was set for me in the first season.

I understand that an explanation can kill tension, but for me a lack of an explanation can kill tension too. If something comes across to me as arbitrary because I can't tell what is happening ... it breaks immersion ya know? Like I can't get invested. Understanding these types of things was what made the first season entertaining to me, and I didn't get it in these episodes. I don't mean to say people shouldn't be enjoying it for the same reason, but I'm having trouble enjoying it myself.

And yes, I understand that's why she was at the school. I'm just upset that character interactions are more carefree given what the situation is. It's another thing that breaks immersion. If people still enjoy it despite that or because of the more lighthearted tones, that's fine; it just isn't what I wanted.

And yeah, I guess you're right with the incest lol. I guess I was just hoping it was more of a joke in the first season and that it wouldn't go beyond that, but it doesn't really seem that much different now that I think about it more. I had hoped that the writer would do some kind of romance with Saegusa to divert from the incest, but I can't tell if that's going to happen anymore.
ghierOct 26, 2020 1:35 PM
Oct 26, 2020 2:25 PM

Aug 2017
Lina is stronger than your average high school but not as much as Tatsuya! I think she and Miyuki are at the same level!
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 26, 2020 7:58 PM
Oct 2020
Nurguburu said:
Lina is stronger than your average high school but not as much as Tatsuya! I think she and Miyuki are at the same level!

Lina is, indeed, quite strong but shes not even close to Miyuki's level.

Spoiler (not really much of one tbh as I don't include real spoilers in this tag so if you want very minor spoiling than read it otherwise just skip).
Oct 27, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2013
I don't understand anything bro lol. I guess that fight was awesome although too short.
Oct 27, 2020 9:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Haha that kiss on the forehead was sure quite nice to see
Oct 31, 2020 8:23 AM

Dec 2016
Lina's reaction after watching the bro-con sis-con moments in front of her XD

Loved the conversation of Miyuki and Tatsuya at the end. They are the best couple ♥▽♥
Oct 31, 2020 3:40 PM

Jan 2013
The writer's incestual urges are over flowing in this anime- that person definitely fucked there sibling or is dying to. Nasty mofo's totally cringe worthy material
Nov 4, 2020 11:35 AM
Jul 2019
Zeifle said:
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
Shit , Tatsuya, having to step in to break up Miyuki and Lina duel, How anticlimactic.

I wouldn't really call it anti-climatic. It was a duel that was not supposed to result in a death. Miyuki won and had Tatsuya not stopped it all parties acknowledged Lina would be dead
'
Like..... yeah, it exactly makes it anticlimactic.
Nov 7, 2020 2:57 AM

Dec 2010
AOTS right there.
Nov 8, 2020 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
Miyuki and Lina's fight scene was great. The forehead kiss from Tatsuya got me flying. Pretty smart of Tatsuya to use a radio wave tracker (of sorts) on the parasite. Also Tatsuya being embarrassed from Miyuki was really cute. Can't wait to see next episode :)

。*✲゚*♡(o•ᴗ•o)♡*✲゚*。

Nov 12, 2020 6:22 PM
Oct 2015
Would be nice if the MCs were not so OP and you got even a slight sense of danger.
Nov 15, 2020 4:31 AM
Jan 2015
AntwanMantilla said:
Pretty good ep.
Also Miyuki is packing them meaty cheeks. It's another area for Angelina to be her rival in lol.

I'm looking forward to the next ep.

Ahhh , a man of culture spotted.
Dec 31, 2020 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
I suddenly felt like dropping after this episode.. even the so skilled Lina couldn´t with our OP mc here. Not only that but they got all kya~

Oh God.. why... and I enjoyed a lot first season lol
Dec 31, 2020 3:01 PM

Apr 2016
Where did those police officers come from, and where did they go?

Ew gross. Another romantic moment between the siblings. That duel between Lina and Miyuki ended abruptly, but even weirder, given the way Lina was trying so hard to protect the intel from Tatsuya, why would she willingly give it up in the end? It's a typical thing that happens in anime and I can't say I'm a fan.
Jan 22, 2021 2:58 AM

Dec 2012
LINA IS THE BEST GRILL

Mar 31, 2021 3:00 AM

Sep 2012
Vooo said:
The writer's incestual urges are over flowing in this anime- that person definitely fucked there sibling or is dying to. Nasty mofo's totally cringe worthy material
Senseki said:
Ew gross. Another romantic moment between the siblings.

they are not siblings only on paper they are, learn the definition of incest

definition of incest is:
sexual relations or marriage taking place between a male and female who are so closely linked by blood like siblings for example

S1 explained Tatsuya is basically artificial intelligence created from magic, but Miyuki doesn't know that

and if they don't grow up together from ferry early age they won't DEV real sibling bond the bond they dev is similar to sibling bond but may change in to more
Senseki said:
Where did those police officers come from, and where did they go?

seems they were fake cops part of her team she mentioned some of them still being in hospital like they are part of her team
Sugram22Mar 31, 2021 10:13 AM
Apr 23, 2022 1:42 PM

Mar 2019
Honestly, I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to Erika. Why was she so angry at the end??? What's happening between her and Tatsuya, I really don't think I missed something, but this really isn't the same Erika that we had at the beginning.

Interesting duel.

Also another really weird thing is surrounding Mayumi and Juumonji. Since when were they that close, it feels like they are totally separated from the other people in the school and are just next to each other 24/7.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 22, 2022 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
I really hate that troupe... "You tried to kill me, but I'll just let you get away after I won."
Aug 21, 2023 7:14 PM

Nov 2010
This is the 4th episode in a row where I enjoyed the action. That was good, even though it was apparent Tatsuya & Miyuki would win. The magic they are using this season is so cool to watch! I wish Angelina won, though. She's supposed to be the strongest from the USNA. She should've been able to beat at least Miyuki.

Angelina is the hottest character in this show for me. She's surpassed Miyuki, even though I still prefer black-haired women in real life.
Are they up against extradimensional beings?
Excellent wincest moments!
Jan 27, 7:38 AM

Apr 2009
Extradimensional beings acting as parasites, no magic? Hah, I knew we're gonna science our way through it!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 20, 9:52 AM
Aug 2023
yeah good as always but not to much.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2020

83 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2020

82 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:51 AM

» Lina's Weaknesses

FiddlePie - May 20, 2022

16 by Mq84jdk »»
Mar 1, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

z00nex - Oct 3, 2020

160 by amf85 »»
Feb 29, 6:36 PM

» Lina

Dabbingpotato - Feb 20

48 by TrickyHunter0506 »»
Feb 28, 10:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.