Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 3, 2020 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
I was pleasantly surprised.
First season was garbage not only because of MC without personality and being overpowered for no reason, but also complete lack of any comic relief, which turned it into one of the most boring experiences of my life.
But now, in the bery 1st episode we already had plenty of comedy, which I assume will become more frequent. Not bad.
PiromyslOct 3, 2020 2:05 PM

Oct 3, 2020 2:01 PM
Feb 2020
The7thOne said:
Glad that this show is back. So season 2 starts off a couple of weeks after the season 1 ending. Kind of wish they showed Tatsuya coming back to school after the attack, and everyone's reaction. Instead we get him back with the gang celebrating Christmas. Just a small critique since I was wondering how much time had passed by in the first minutes.

Also Lina is cute.

they skipped one volume which is between s1 and visitor arc
Oct 3, 2020 2:23 PM
Nov 2017
Ferrones said:
The7thOne said:
Glad that this show is back. So season 2 starts off a couple of weeks after the season 1 ending. Kind of wish they showed Tatsuya coming back to school after the attack, and everyone's reaction. Instead we get him back with the gang celebrating Christmas. Just a small critique since I was wondering how much time had passed by in the first minutes.

Also Lina is cute.

They skipped Volume 8, right?
Oct 3, 2020 2:38 PM

Feb 2013
Lina is cute and dangerous, interesting.
Oct 3, 2020 2:49 PM

Mar 2020
It's been a while since I saw the first season so I have no idea what's going on but I think it's OK because It's a new arc.

First episode was good definitely, introducing a new character always spices things up. Lina being the new character of this arc who is a spy who came from the USA who seems and probably is a tsundere.

Seems like it's going to be an interesting story
Oct 3, 2020 3:15 PM

Jun 2014
Good thing I decided to rewatch S1 before this, I first watched it like 5 years ago so I most likely would have been lost lol.

So we get a new character, Lina, and already she seems to be at odds with Tatsuya. That was bold and reckless af of her to challenge him the way she did. A pretty chill episode for the most part to ease us back into the series but things seemed to pick up at the end there.

Also, after finishing my S1 rewatch earlier today and then immediately jumping into this episode, it's pretty amazing how obvious it is that it's a different animation studio handling this lol. The visual difference was expected though.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 3, 2020 3:16 PM

Jan 2009
Illyricus said:
Dumb gaijin thot trying to prove Onii-sama's strength smh. You don't go here provoking God, Lina was so lucky Onii-sama is a benevolent and understanding deity.

Cannot wait to see those fugitives getting clapped by the grace of Onii-sama.

Yeah don't underestimate lina, she's one of the few people who if she went all out could arguably match tatsuya in combat, as the movie showed.

As for why she did that, she's got suspicions that he's the guy behind scorched Halloween, and hence her investigation target, so she was trying to get him to use magic.
Oct 3, 2020 3:37 PM
Jul 2020
Pretty good first episode been waitin a long time for this season its finally here
Oct 3, 2020 3:46 PM

Mar 2018
jc9622 said:
snowykevin said:

I hope you realize this is the second season of the show, seeing as it seems you don’t already know that Tatsuya is an OP MC.
If you check @NubPlayz list, the guy hasn't even watched the 1st Season lmao.

Lmao the guy dont know even what he is talking about and giving points in the comments...

funny af
Oct 3, 2020 5:34 PM
Apr 2020
Kinda enjoyed it, forgot a lot of stuff from 1st season so I guess I'll just search up a summary later.

Also seems to be going pretty fast, not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

I hope that this season will be better than the first season.
Oct 3, 2020 5:36 PM
Nov 2014
Finally the greatest anime character returns, Godsuya Shiba! I'm so hyped for this season, and this episode didn't disappoint me. I'm sold, ASCA's opening was great.

Hopefully a 26 episodes season.
Oct 3, 2020 5:52 PM

Jan 2011
sure was Irregular... don't remember shit outside the awful incest vibes and it turns out the movie i watch like a year or 2 ago takes place after this which made me even more confused as to why Lina showed up

welp i'm so numb to OP Mcs this year i feel like God oniisama has lost his spot on my trigger scale at least hope the other characters hold their ground
Oct 3, 2020 6:10 PM
Aug 2018
KiraHokuten said:
Im kinda lost into this. In the movie, didnt they met each other already? So why does it seem like it's their first meeting(Tatsuya and Lina)

Isnt the chronological order of this series supposed to be S1 - Movie - S2?

No the movie is a side story set after season 2
Oct 3, 2020 6:12 PM
Apr 2012
This was quite an enjoyable episode. Nice a chill, we got some of those tatsuya elements that we love.

I laughed some bit when Saijou was like "Hey, it's that magic girl from the shrine."

Anyways, I liked it. Which is a surprise because I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. 7.5. Fun stuff guys. worth the watch.
Oct 3, 2020 6:15 PM

Feb 2014
Can't remember how many times I rewatched the first season. Now its time to move on with the second installment in the series. Hyped!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 3, 2020 7:05 PM
Apr 2009
good to know i'm not the only one who felt the animation quality took a step back.

I wasn't a big fan of this arc in the LNs but glad to have Mahouka back in any case.
Oct 3, 2020 7:17 PM

Nov 2011
And our OP protagonist just got his new harem.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 3, 2020 7:35 PM
Nov 2019
Now you'll have 2 types of people. Those happy cause they reduced a lot of onnii sama, and those sad for it. I belong to the 2nd group xd...
Oct 3, 2020 8:41 PM

Jun 2020
NubPlayz said:
Ehhh the mc knows or kinda have an idea of the blondie but doesn't care
Hope he is not some wayyy op mc
And the commander sure sucks...
Nothin interesting... Pretty boring tbh
2/5

aw man, from your sentence above, you didn't even watch season 1 of the anime.
Oct 3, 2020 9:27 PM

May 2020
I felt i would never be able to watch a second season of Mahouka but is finally here... And i couldnt be more excited!

But first, i knew the quality in the animation would be different (since this is being animated by 8bit instead of Madhouse) but i didnt expect to be like this. Is so weird but still seems good and i can not wait to see a fight scene.

I read the LN so also another thing is it felt a little bit fast paced, however i understand why, there are a lot of things that needs to be animated.
Oct 3, 2020 9:32 PM

May 2020
The7thOne said:
Ferrones said:

They skipped Volume 8, right?

Yeah, vol 8. Is kinda sad that we arent gonna see that volume animated. I feel like the past from Tatsuya and Miyuki is so important
Oct 3, 2020 10:23 PM
Jul 2020
So the first episode came out...nothing much happened in this one...visuals are good and just hoping that it does not drop its quality with upcoming episodes
Oct 3, 2020 10:42 PM

Dec 2019
Pretty okay episode,I don't remember much from season 1 but the fact that the MC is OP as fuck. I hope there's less bullshit in this season and less onii-sama as well. The animation seems very stiff and lazy though.
Oct 3, 2020 11:41 PM

Sep 2019
The new girl is really cute and Miyuki looked adorable.
Oct 3, 2020 11:44 PM

Jul 2016
OP episode as always. I need to catch up in the LN. Godsuya is back with new challenger. Lina is a airheaded character lol. Nice to see the cast is back too after the movie. Overall its a good start.

Oct 4, 2020 12:13 AM
Jan 2015
[quote=Syureria message=60843955]Angelina, one of the magicians who can use material burst. I wasn't surprised when Lina's is that red haired girl, since I've read this ... Ma, far enough. Starting with the new year, it looks like it's going to be a happy Christmas. I prefer Lina's yukata than Miyuki's.

New transfer student, Angelina. I'm still curious about Lina's relationship with Stars and Sirius, a brief duel with Tatsuya was also shown. I feel that Lina is a troublesome tsundere character.

[quote]Please forgive me, Tatsuya-sama.

Godsuya, the Chad, made her call him sama in the first episode LOL
Oct 4, 2020 12:14 AM
Aug 2020
Finally, the second season i've waited so much for is here!
I've got to say that i had my share of doubts when i heard that 8bit will animate this one instead of madhouse, but after the trailers and the first episode it's not the case. I love the new graphics and they did a great job animating this first episode.
I read the light novels and this episode does well its job of 'exposition' presenting us with the USNA traitor problem and Lina's temporary transfer to the First High in order to investigate the strategic-class magician that Japan seemed to have kept hidden from the rest of the world.

Now with the characters, we have our beloved onii-sama which in my opinion seems a bit more 'lively' than in the first season. Once again he's proving us just how epic he is as he is using clever dialogue to unmask Lina.

I rated this 4/5 since i see a bit room for improvement but this was deffinetly my fav first episode this season (ofc its also due to bias tho)
p.s. Lina best girl
Oct 4, 2020 12:34 AM

Sep 2013
Still not sure how I feel about the Korean Penninsula getting wiped out. I heard the author is anti Korean and Chinese?

Oct 4, 2020 1:00 AM
Aug 2020
I felt like the first episode rushed some things a little. I would've liked to savor Lina's reaction after Tatsuya asked Lina about the "Angie" nickname.
Oct 4, 2020 1:14 AM
Aug 2020
EthereaL015 said:
Yeah, vol 8. Is kinda sad that we arent gonna see that volume animated. I feel like the past from Tatsuya and Miyuki is so important

Maybe they'll create a movie for it. I really wanted to watch the past of the Shiba siblings.

If anyone hasn't read the ln/manga for the Reminiscence Arc, go read it now. Read the manga for a faster read but if you want more detail read the ln. There is also the option of going to the Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei wiki to read the synopsis of the arc.
Oct 4, 2020 1:25 AM

Jul 2019
Finally, first episode

Hope to see an exciting arc
Oct 4, 2020 1:53 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
After so long its nice to see Mahouka return once more. The strike against the alliance back then by Tatsuya really served to show the world that Japan does not need to fear China ever again huh. Hmm eliminating deserters huh a grim task that. Still the ability to leap across rooftops sure gave magicians unparalleled agility. Christmas time huh what a time to go off for student exchange though. The shrine visit though sure was fun and did well to showcase how pretty the girls were when wearing kimono's. Damm Lina's outfit looks so strange. Her reaction at being lectured sure was amusing. Honoka's as cute as ever. Lina though sure struck faster than predicted though. Her slip up though was so funny. But Lina's mission sure got complicated fast with the appearance of more deserters in her AO. Overall a solid opening ep that did well to reintroduce us to the cast as well as in introducing both Lina and the threat that Tatsuya and co will soon face. Its a shame that they skipped some of the little moments that serve to add some life to Lina though. Given the arc is 3 volumes in total i think its a safe bet that this will be a half season. Hopefully this will be enough though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2020 3:19 AM
Jun 2017
We have some new character introduced on this one. Lets see how she will be on this new arc
Oct 4, 2020 3:48 AM

Dec 2016
The beginning kinda felt like I was watching a futuristic “Fire Force” anime XD

Red haired Lina is so much cooler than the blonde Lina tho...

Anyway, I don't read the light novel and it's been 6 years since I watched season 1. So it's confusing. Though I did watch the movie a few months ago. Well, no matter how much I watch this it'll always be confusing to me. I'm just gonna watch it for Tatsuya's badass fighting and the music and obviously the cheesy romance of the Shiba siblings XD

I wish LiSA or Garnidelia did the OP again.
Oct 4, 2020 4:17 AM

Jun 2015
A bit rushed here and there, but 8bit did a good job so far. Looking forward for this visitor arc.

It's a bit off, but I love seeing Saegusa Mayumi back... Cough.. Pardon my fetish..
Oct 4, 2020 5:40 AM
Apr 2018
09:13 --
MIYUKI : She's Pretty.
TATSUYA : Not as much as you, though.

17:16 LINA be like "It's fine! He is just a High School Student."

Oct 4, 2020 5:52 AM

Oct 2009
Its been so long, I don't remember much of the complicated stuff :/

Its not Madhouse quality but still pretty nice, also nice to see them sticking to Madhouse's style for the most part.
Oct 4, 2020 6:40 AM

Oct 2018
animation was better in the movie I think. and this is direct sequal of season 1.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Oct 4, 2020 7:25 AM
Oct 2018
Episode 1 pace is mess, its unlike Mahouka that I used to know. First half of this anime is okay and I like Lina as a character. But I feel 8 bit really rushed 2nd half of this episode.

For example, after Lina first introduction to Tatsuya & friends, they skipped timeline to one week after those event. Why Lina introduction seemingly rushed? I dont remember Mahouka story pace (either LN & s1) is like this.

To be honest, we need more Lina screen time in first episode. Sadly, the studio seemingly rush this adaptation so they can covers up into Lina first mission in Japan.

I really like 1st season and I hope 8 bit didnt mess this adaptation.
Oct 4, 2020 8:55 AM

Aug 2018
This guy can be a siscon in front of everyone without being too creepy.
That's a skill right there!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Oct 4, 2020 9:44 AM
Oct 2019
Syureria said:
Angelina, one of the magicians who can use material burst. I wasn't surprised when Lina's is that red haired girl, since I've read this ... Ma, far enough. Starting with the new year, it looks like it's going to be a happy Christmas. I prefer Lina's yukata than Miyuki's.

New transfer student, Angelina. I'm still curious about Lina's relationship with Stars and Sirius, a brief duel with Tatsuya was also shown. I feel that Lina is a troublesome tsundere character.

Please forgive me, Tatsuya-sama.

That's not material burst, her spell is Heavy Metal Burst (heavy metals are transformed into high energy plasma; the magic disseminates amplified solar ions over a wide area by creating gas, an electromagnetic repulsive force, and increased high pressure.)

Tatsuya's Material Burst is the ultimate Decomposition Magic. It has been likened to a magical equivalent of a nuclear warhead, and operates similarly on fundamental principles of physics; by converting matter into energy, it performs comparable destruction without the radioactive material fallout.The energy released by Material Burst can be calculated using Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation (E=mc²), in which energy released through the decomposition of matter is the mass of the decomposed matter multiplied by the speed of light squared. This shows that when Material Burst is used upon "...a single drop of water, a paltry 50 milligrams of matter, the explosion created has the power equivalent of 1000 tons of TNT."
If to be truthful is to be cruel, then lying must surely be an act of kindness. And so, kindness is a lie." -By Hikigaya Hachiman
Oct 4, 2020 9:54 AM

Dec 2009
Before I knew it the episode was done, miss the heck out of this show.

I'm hoping it'll be 24 episodes.
Oct 4, 2020 9:59 AM

Mar 2019
Ahhh......It still feels like a dream watching this season ! I really hope it's a 24 episode season

Oct 4, 2020 10:51 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty good ep overall.

Glad to have Mahouka back after so long and see the cast of characters again. It's cool it's not taking it's time to get right into the thick of things and Angelina seems like she'll be a interesting character.

Very much am looking forward to the next ep.
Oct 4, 2020 12:23 PM

Apr 2018
Really interesting start. I can't believe it came back for a season 2. An exchange student is trying to take down Tatsuya for destroying their naval ship.
Oct 4, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2019
Aye, our insanely dense and op MC back. Hope we get more cute Miyuki moments this season.

I'm gonna assume that the OP was playing in place of the ED this episode, and it's pretty good. The visuals are a tad spoilerish but look good regardless.

Looking forward to the next ep.
arcticmontysOct 4, 2020 12:29 PM
Oct 4, 2020 12:31 PM

Feb 2008
Cheshirecat3 said:
AmineDane said:
i just watch this show to see tatuya go bad ass
Yeah that's what I figured for most people lol

Precisely, I'm also guilty for this. Re-watched the anime thrice already just to see OP Tatsuya. And also the magic system and world building is very interesting. Nevertheless, for me, Tatsuya was and is the main reason why I watch (and read) Mahouka.
Oct 4, 2020 1:03 PM

Apr 2017
Tatsuya so savage
Love it!
Oct 4, 2020 1:56 PM

Apr 2016
Well, I’m happy to see this series again. I hope it will be a good vision.
Oct 4, 2020 2:58 PM

Aug 2017
Onii-sama is back!!! I watched the first season this year -from June to August to be more precise- and I'm glad that they showed the last incident in Season 1 making the continuity more consistent.

First episode was kinda good! Lina is fun to watch! America joins to the plot, im curious about how this is going to be developed in the future. I was trolled at first cuz I thought that the character with red hair and Lina were different characters! lmaooo
NurguburuOct 4, 2020 3:33 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2020

83 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2020

88 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2020

82 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:51 AM

» Lina's Weaknesses

FiddlePie - May 20, 2022

16 by Mq84jdk »»
Mar 1, 10:22 PM

» Lina

Dabbingpotato - Feb 20

48 by TrickyHunter0506 »»
Feb 28, 10:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.