Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Feb 2018
Larss said:

That's not material burst, her spell is Heavy Metal Burst (heavy metals are transformed into high energy plasma; the magic disseminates amplified solar ions over a wide area by creating gas, an electromagnetic repulsive force, and increased high pressure.)

Tatsuya's Material Burst is the ultimate Decomposition Magic. It has been likened to a magical equivalent of a nuclear warhead, and operates similarly on fundamental principles of physics; by converting matter into energy, it performs comparable destruction without the radioactive material fallout.The energy released by Material Burst can be calculated using Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation (E=mc²), in which energy released through the decomposition of matter is the mass of the decomposed matter multiplied by the speed of light squared. This shows that when Material Burst is used upon "...a single drop of water, a paltry 50 milligrams of matter, the explosion created has the power equivalent of 1000 tons of TNT."
Yeah, i know... I explained that above ... And thanks for the response.

You can see Lina here, spoiler beware.

SyureriaOct 4, 2020 3:53 PM
Oct 4, 2020 3:56 PM

Apr 2010
Great episode. It does seem like they are speeding through the light novel content but that's alright. The visuals don't seem as impressive as season 1 but its fairly close. Glad this got a season 2 however.

Anyone watching this should have seen season 1 first as it would be confusing without the context.
Oct 4, 2020 4:54 PM
Jul 2020
I'm so confused.. don't tatsuya and angelina know eachother??? I watched the movie beforehand during the summer cause I heard there would be useful information. Im so confused, they've interacted with each other before and worked with one another. Like they saved the goddamn world together...Am I missing something??

other than that this is a great first episode. tatsuya is as sexy as ever
Oct 4, 2020 4:59 PM

Sep 2019
Aryale said:
I'm so confused.. don't tatsuya and angelina know eachother??? I watched the movie beforehand during the summer cause I heard there would be useful information. Im so confused, they've interacted with each other before and worked with one another. Like they saved the goddamn world together...Am I missing something??

I haven’t seen the movie but heard that it takes place after this season.
Oct 4, 2020 5:03 PM
Jul 2020
z00nex said:
Aryale said:

I haven’t seen the movie but heard that it takes place after this season.

OHHH that would make much more sense thank you for that information
Oct 4, 2020 6:27 PM
Jan 2015
trabeus1 said:
Still not sure how I feel about the Korean Penninsula getting wiped out. I heard the author is anti Korean and Chinese?
Except it wasn't though? Just a naval fleet and a military base.

>I heard the author is anti Korean and Chinese?
Nonsense spread by SJWs.
My Queens

Oct 4, 2020 6:39 PM
Apr 2015
How many episodes is this season supposed to have, was that announced yet? Also is the Visitor arc the next arc from what was the last arc in season 1?
Oct 4, 2020 7:28 PM

Sep 2014
ChetanS said:
09:13 --
MIYUKI : She's Pretty.
TATSUYA : Not as much as you, though.

17:16 LINA be like "It's fine! He is just a High School Student."

A High School Student, who took out a Fleet like it was his daily routine to the bathroom lol. Super excited to see how he progresses in terms of coming up with new strategies.
Oct 4, 2020 8:20 PM

May 2018
Onii sama is back. Saguga Onii sama. Btw, I heard there's actually incest from the LN. Is this true?
Papa_ScorchOct 4, 2020 8:26 PM
Oct 4, 2020 8:48 PM
Oct 2020
Gorochu said:
Onii sama is back. Saguga Onii sama. Btw, I heard there's actually incest from the LN. Is this true?

check mahouka fandom.
Oct 5, 2020 1:46 AM

May 2012
Is this same blond girl in the movie ???

Does this mean that movie takes place after this 2nd season ???

Oct 5, 2020 5:35 AM

May 2016
Leo: "That's the magic girl we saw at the shrine" LOL
Oct 5, 2020 6:54 AM

Nov 2013
Ah I missed Mahouka. One of the worst anime series I've seen in the last decade. This premiere didn't dissapoint as I laughed several times, hopes the show manages to hold the torches of its predecessor even though the new decade only just begin.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 5, 2020 8:08 AM

Apr 2015
I have a feeling this shows going to be hard for me to get into. I watched Season 1 probably around 2015 or so and literally don't remember it at all. And from the first episode I'm getting very standard magic high school mixed with OP protagonist who is different/outcast with no powers and a dash of transfer student storyline. It's sort of got the same vibe going as last season's The Misfit of Demon King Academy. Wouldn't surprise me if Misfit was a clone but the story doesn't seem that original to begin with. I mean the title's are basically "Can I Copy Your Homework?" "Yeah but change it a little so it isn't obvious."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2020 1:45 PM

Apr 2013
Between this and Danmachi, i'm quite happy this season.
Oct 5, 2020 2:32 PM

Feb 2014
Lina is pretty cute, but she's got someway to go before she can challenge the beauty that is Miyuki. It's a shame she didn't say "Onii-Sama" in this episode, though. =(

Either way, this was a pretty good episode to get back into the swing of things in this series. In terms of production quality, it's pretty good in most scenes, with some scenes being a little stiff with the movements. Hopefully the inconsistencies will be ironed out in later episodes.

ASCA's OP song sounds pretty good and upbeat, which always gets my approval. =)
Oct 5, 2020 3:04 PM
Jul 2011
Tatsuya is also great at typing.
He is the fastest Keyboard Typist in the whole school.
His schoolmates reactions are as in they never used a keyboard before.

He can also see the small numbers circling around people's bracelet on their wrists.
rladls717Oct 5, 2020 3:09 PM
Oct 6, 2020 5:22 AM

May 2018
Godsuya doesn't even care about the transfer student lol
Oct 6, 2020 3:17 PM

Aug 2014
Balzakjes said:
Visuals dropped in quality compared to S1. I havent read the LN, but the beginning felt really fast paced.

I was skeptical about the studio change but to me it was passable. A drop in quality but passable.

Stark700 said:
It's been 6 years since Mahouka aired and tbh, I kinda forgot about some of the stuff already (haven't read the LN in years now).

A lot of characters reintroduced again with some new faces. We also got girls like Miyuki and Angelina dressed up in a yukata to make an impression. Tatsuya and Angelina sure has a bit of a rivalry already.

Not sure how many episodes this will have yet but I assume it may be a 1-cour.

Wow what happened? I thought you always used to post the very first comment for every new episode for every new anime everywhere?

Cheshirecat3 said:
AmineDane said:
i just watch this show to see tatuya go bad ass
Yeah that's what I figured for most people lol

Well, at it's best it's just a really entertaining power trip harem show. I'm guessing people who can self-insert into Tatsuya enjoy it the most.

At its worst it might look like a long-repressed japanese imperialistic power trip dream of besting everyone at everything and basically conquering the world. And probably all the women of the world too, while they're at it (those long panning shots of Linas chest).
Can't be helped, apparently God walks among us and it turns out he's japanese.

alshu said:
Wow, this is even worst than first season.
I guess the movie is a big spoiler for this arc.
I am leaving this franchise tho.

See you in ep2 discussion!
Oct 6, 2020 3:54 PM

Nov 2013
After almost 7 years of waiting, it’s finally fkn here... Mahouka S2!!!

This episode met all of my expectations — the heated confrontation with the defector Freddy, the introduction of Lina, and her showdown with Miyuki/Tatsuya... this season is shaping up to be super exciting from the very beginning! It definitely sets the serious tone for the new season, and no longer feels as introductory as S1 was. Can’t wait to see how Tatsuya gets involved in the fugitive stuff.

Didn’t get a good chance to gauge how Lina’s character was during the movie, but I’m definitely enjoying her personality in this first episode. She’s quirky and shows her feelings pretty readily, so it’s interesting observing how different she is as Angie Sirius.
Hikasa Baba really did a great job voicing her.

Really glad the character designs are pretty much the same as they were in S1 and the movie.
As an endnote, I wonder if the Bloom stuff we saw at the end of the movie is a spoiler for what’s to come for Tatsuya.

Can’t wait to see more, nothing but praise so far! Well done.
Oct 7, 2020 7:44 AM

Mar 2017
-Mahesvara said:
KiraHokuten said:
Im kinda lost into this. In the movie, didnt they met each other already? So why does it seem like it's their first meeting(Tatsuya and Lina)

Isnt the chronological order of this series supposed to be S1 - Movie - S2?
Movie takes place after the content s2 will cover.

Thank you! I was so confused, I remember clearly that they interacted in the movie.

sockerdricka said:

alshu said:
Wow, this is even worst than first season.
I guess the movie is a big spoiler for this arc.
I am leaving this franchise tho.

LOOOOLL yeah, for some reason these "I am leaving this franchise" people always seem to show up again in next episode discussion of said franchise.
Oct 7, 2020 8:51 AM

May 2018
sockerdricka said:

What part of "I am leaving this franchise" you didn't get?
Oct 7, 2020 11:03 AM
May 2015
Balzakjes said:
Visuals dropped in quality compared to S1. I havent read the LN, but the beginning felt really fast paced.

pretty clear the visual really drop, a bit dissappointment for that one.. also only 13 eps.. aah double strike.. :(
Oct 8, 2020 7:23 AM

Oct 2008
MomoSinX said:
I don't remember anything from S1 but it was a good start. lol

lol as for me i stopped watching at S1E13 then go ahead and watch this S2...

Oct 9, 2020 5:06 AM
Apr 2020
Commander Lina is quite power and cute, giving me Hwaryun vibe. I'm shipping her with Tatsuya. Tatsuya x Lina looks better. Tatsuya x Miyuki is cringy as f! lol

Oct 9, 2020 5:32 AM
Oct 2020
Ao_Blue said:
Commander Lina is quite power and cute, giving me Hwaryun vibe. I'm shipping her with Tatsuya. Tatsuya x Lina looks better. Tatsuya x Miyuki is cringy as f! lol

lol,

Oct 9, 2020 9:54 AM
Sep 2020
What song in 10:33?
Oct 10, 2020 6:43 AM
Nov 2016
OOOOOOHHH YEAH MY GUILTY PLEASURE SHOW OF THE SEASON.
This is the kind of show I needed given all the shows I'm watching rn while tackling college, something I know is generic as hell but I still enjoy it anyway. Despite all the cliches it's a pretty fun show for some over the top OP protagonist action. Good setup although it feels rushed. Maybe it's only because it's 13 episodes? Also, is it just me or did the animation get a downgrade? At least the blond commander is cute.

Oct 11, 2020 6:58 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Hmm, nice! they already jumped up into a world wide respond, introduced every single strategic magician around the world, especially with a big nation and alliances (ah, yes silloute only. But still, its really an introduction and bring the hype), since the God of Tatsuya, wreck GAA navy base, very easily at the end of the last season episode. As a plot wise aspect, i am pretty intrigueing with that kind of direction. Eventhough i must be honest that i had trouble to remember their obvious trivia. Such as, Psion, the different use of a magic sequence, Material Burst, etc, etc. The introduction of Lina was okay, but not so special, a typical blonde girl. I don't even thing she was a likeable girl so far. Its obvious, because i still can't even move my eyes away from the beauty of Miyuki. Yeah, 8 bit, did a good job with the art, its shine more from previous season. XD Its full colour already and refreshing me so much, with its glorious style and a color selection at the first part. For Tatsuya? He was still op af, knewing Lina intentions in one glance and caught her heart and feeling in one second too. Lol. Well, idk with its end scene, tho. How the hell that escaper could even escape, and flew away to Japan? Along with Tatsuya suspection about the probability of conspiracy among the arrival of Lina? Well, maybe its had answer in the next episode. So, lets move on already. Because i am really excited and entertained a lot with these continuations.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 11, 2020 6:22 PM

Jul 2014
soooo.....this series is the prequel of the movie, isn't it? since many of the character (i.e Erika and Tatsuya) don't know Lina yet like in the movie
Oct 14, 2020 12:46 AM

Sep 2020
fakku48 said:
soooo.....this series is the prequel of the movie, isn't it? since many of the character (i.e Erika and Tatsuya) don't know Lina yet like in the movie

Yes, having seen the movie as well, I can confirm that it is a prequel to this season, just like other people have already mentioned.

Though at first this episode was a bit confusing, it made more sense the more I watched it.

This show is proof that sequels can still be properly made after who knows how many years. And 8bit studios is slowly becoming a fan favorite of mine thanks to how pretty and clean their art is (dunno why people complained about animation).

Lina's introduction was fine, but just like in the previous season, personally I'm more looking forward to see where the story goes.
Oct 15, 2020 8:08 PM

Jul 2013
Oh shit it's back, the op at magic high school is back lol.
Oct 15, 2020 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
Ya... this should have still have been done by Madhouse. It wasn't bad by any means but the shifts between characters and style is always a drag when the first studio does a good job. I guess yay for 8bit trying to make it look the same. At least we have the same VA's.
Oct 15, 2020 9:02 PM
Jan 2015
lanfire said:
Ya... this should have still have been done by Madhouse. It wasn't bad by any means but the shifts between characters and style is always a drag when the first studio does a good job. I guess yay for 8bit trying to make it look the same. At least we have the same VA's.
Madhouse is a shell of its former self, so i doubt it'd be that much better, hell it could be even worse. People really dick ride them to much from their past successes. Last good show they made was Sora Yori.
My Queens

Oct 15, 2020 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
-Mahesvara said:
Madhouse is a shell of its former self...

I don't exactly keep up with studio news so I can only go by the previous Mahouka series since I sorta just rewatched it. Also just noticed it came out in 2014... Wow time flys. Either way I'm just a fan of keeping stuff consistent between seasons. In the end all of the differences really are minor-ish.
Oct 15, 2020 9:48 PM
Jan 2015
lanfire said:
-Mahesvara said:
Madhouse is a shell of its former self...

I don't exactly keep up with studio news so I can only go by the previous Mahouka series since I sorta just rewatched it. Also just noticed it came out in 2014... Wow time flys. Either way I'm just a fan of keeping stuff consistent between seasons. In the end all of the differences really are minor-ish.
They've returned most of the key staff that worked on the first season, so the quality drop-off wont be drastic. 8bit also was the studio that did the movie in 2016 and it looked about as good as the first season if you want a little reassurance. Not saying it will look as good as season 1, but just by looking at these first 2 episodes, its still gonna look better than most.
My Queens

Oct 15, 2020 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
-Mahesvara said:
8bit also was the studio that did the movie in 2016 and it looked about as good as the first season if you want a little reassurance. Not saying it will look as good as season 1, but just by looking at these first 2 episodes, its still gonna look better than most.

Ah forgot about that. I recall it was pretty good but didn't add it to the random rewatch since it didn't relate to this new season.
Oct 15, 2020 9:57 PM
Jan 2015
lanfire said:
-Mahesvara said:
8bit also was the studio that did the movie in 2016 and it looked about as good as the first season if you want a little reassurance. Not saying it will look as good as season 1, but just by looking at these first 2 episodes, its still gonna look better than most.

Ah forgot about that. I recall it was pretty good but didn't add it to the random rewatch since it didn't relate to this new season.
its probably worth a rewatch after this season, since it takes place afterwards.
My Queens

Oct 16, 2020 6:12 AM
Mar 2012
been so long, Oniisama finally back after six years... Comparing the trailers, 8bit did pretty well so far. Props to artists on both yukatas, and Lina's blond drills, quite well done.
Looks my s1 score's very low, but can't recall much on why. And dunno most of these characters.
Just glad pres Mayumi appeared a short while, and the siblings are still nice & close. OP suggests there's only a few new characters, and for now Angie/Lina's hilarious.
Oct 23, 2020 6:55 PM
May 2018
The animation seems a little bit weird, but maybe that's just me.

Oct 26, 2020 7:59 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yeah it's back... this season seems totally focused on the "serious" part of the show
Nov 8, 2020 1:46 PM

Jul 2017
I enjoyed S1 quite a lot, so I did enjoy this episode. I haven't read the manga for the series though. I am intrigued what the next episode is going to be like. Still loving Tatsuya ♥

。*✲゚*♡(o•ᴗ•o)♡*✲゚*。

Nov 8, 2020 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
I rewatched season 1 about a month before season 2 started airing. The animation quality is a big drop imo, especially the zoomed out shots and transitions. I’m hoping the animation improves though. Also, I hope they actually follow up with another season soon, as I want to see stuff that happens after the movie (which is what I thought this was going to be)
Dec 15, 2020 1:29 PM

Aug 2014
alshu said:
sockerdricka said:

What part of "I am leaving this franchise" you didn't get?

The part where you said "I am leaving this franchise".

On a serious note though, I can't even check cause you made your anime list restricted.

Mind if i ask why? If youre not comfortable answering here we could take it in PM or anything, I'm just curious. Most people don't know who you are anyway, you are anonymous on this site, I just never understood why some people restrict access to their list which is like the most basic thing ever on this site so whats why I'm asking. Just sheer curiosity.
Dec 15, 2020 2:15 PM

May 2018
sockerdricka said:
I can't even check cause you made your anime list restricted.

I could lie in my list too you know...so just take my word.

sockerdricka said:
Mind if i ask why?

I wasn't that impressed by the first season to begin with but somehow it kept me on board. It even had some great but sadly very short moments.

Than the movie came and it looked somehow subpar (changing studio and all) an the story was even less interesting than in the TV.

Than the second season came and for me the first episode was exactly like the movie...thus noting for me here.

sockerdricka said:
I just never understood why some people restrict access to their list

After the seventh person asked me that same question "Why you gave GITS 1995 only 7/10 instead of 10/10?" I got bored answering "I actually like the GITS franchise very much but this exact movie I didn't." and restricted my list only to friends.
It's much more quite now.
Dec 15, 2020 2:51 PM

Aug 2014
alshu said:
sockerdricka said:
I can't even check cause you made your anime list restricted.

I could lie in my list too you know...so just take my word.

sockerdricka said:
Mind if i ask why?

I wasn't that impressed by the first season to begin with but somehow it kept me on board. It even had some great but sadly very short moments.

Than the movie came and it looked somehow subpar (changing studio and all) an the story was even less interesting than in the TV.

Than the second season came and for me the first episode was exactly like the movie...thus noting for me here.

sockerdricka said:
I just never understood why some people restrict access to their list

After the seventh person asked me that same question "Why you gave GITS 1995 only 7/10 instead of 10/10?" I got bored answering "I actually like the GITS franchise very much but this exact movie I didn't." and restricted my list only to friends.
It's much more quite now.

I see, thanks for the reply. I'll take your word for it.

I actually quite liked the first season even though I was aware of the criticism back then, and it contained questionable parts.
Haven't found myself liking any of the newer adaptations as much.

Dec 31, 2020 11:37 AM

Apr 2016
I'm loving the new character, Lina. Tatsuya is already making her swoon lol

Looks like some shit is going on behind the scenes. Lina is gonna have her hands full.
Jan 3, 2021 11:10 AM

Mar 2019
does anyone know the song that's playing in the background when Lina and Sylvia are talking about the kimono?
Jan 22, 2021 1:50 AM

Dec 2012
A new waifu appears!

Feb 4, 2021 1:02 PM
Apr 2018
Which is the best website to watch this series? Many thanks in advance.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2020

83 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2020

88 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2020

82 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:51 AM

» Lina's Weaknesses

FiddlePie - May 20, 2022

16 by Mq84jdk »»
Mar 1, 10:22 PM

» Lina

Dabbingpotato - Feb 20

48 by TrickyHunter0506 »»
Feb 28, 10:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.