Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 14, 2020 8:09 PM
May 2015
This season so far has been the worst season of Food Wars. It's rushed and absolutely stupid but I have to admit, this episode's actually decent. It's been forever since I've seen a match that doesn't just end in 5 seconds with one of the characters sweeping their opponent with a 3-0 score. That's one of the aspects of the show that's been missing this season.

I actually enjoyed watching Yukihira's growth in this episode. If Yukihira wins, it's not because of some bullshit powerup *ahem Asahi's bullshit Crossed Knife skill ahem* but because of his own failures. He never gave up and learned through those mistakes. I also like how Soma uses his mom as his inspiration to never give up.

Too bad, it's not enough to save this god-awful season.
jc9622Sep 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Sep 14, 2020 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
The cooking was fire in this episode!
And Souma somehow made his "semifinal" dish a memorable one, where he managed to put a lot of his family's history and his personal failures, damnnnnnnnnn!

I really hope Souma will win this, omg, this gotta be it! C'mon!

There is no way for them to end an episode like that, so hyped omg!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 14, 2020 10:44 PM

Oct 2012
how many eps left?

they really gonna rush the battle between Yukihara and Nakari and the ending huh? dessert OVA?

ya looks like anime will turn out just like the manga. rip.
Sep 15, 2020 5:41 PM

Oct 2015
I cant wait to finish this anime and be done with it, the manga ending was a failure, and god this asahi character is horrible as the last villain, this asahi has more super powers than some super power anime characters, pls end it fast. The First 2 seasons were good and had a story, after that it became a cringefest, with only fanservice and nothing else.
Sep 16, 2020 2:52 AM

Apr 2010
So is the next episode the last one?
Sep 16, 2020 4:10 AM

Mar 2009
Another rice and egg based dish lmao, ridiculous. I gotta say though this episode seemed the best yet.
Sep 16, 2020 4:51 AM

Oct 2018
Easily the best episode this entire season. Really hyped to see what the next episode will bring us.
Sep 16, 2020 11:19 PM
Apr 2017
I bet Asahi will lose.
Sep 17, 2020 12:45 AM

Mar 2013
Ok, so far this episode kinda exceed my expectation as a manga reader...
Especially the fact that they remove one of the noir from the manga who is supposed to be Asahi's aide. He wasnt even in the competition and only appeared when 'real' Noir Asahi met with Erina (I think they changed it with only Asahi and bunch of Noirs unrevealed met her. While in manga, Sarge, Don Carma, and the masked guy are revealed here) and at this exact part in the manga, and yet he talked big commenting Yukihira's dish. Really annoying imo, so I'm glad Sarge and Don Carma did the comments instead of him.
Also they did change Hayama's comment about Yukihira as 'their generation's general', instead of Kurokiba He should be talked to Jun instead. idk why they showed him with Kurokiba out of nowhere aswell, is it something related to later episodes?

Anything else is good... This episode is probably the one I'm really expecting to see animated and might be the best Episode in the season so far, I'm glad It's not disappointing.
I think the normal manga translation of 'Fragranceless Fried Rice' suits more than 'Odorless Fried Rice', kinda giggled a bit lol. And yeah, The Gifting is still ridiculous as ever. Cant' wait for Final Episode where It's getting more absurd.

I heard they changed the Ending compared to manga so I hope It's not disappointing or better than the manga.
Rio-Sep 17, 2020 12:51 AM
Sep 17, 2020 7:33 PM

May 2010
PrimeX said:
There it is again that gifting thing lol. But anyway the highlight of this episode for me is that fried rice. Of all the dishes cooked in this show this is the first time they showed a dish that I'm very familiar with, something that I cook myself from time to time. Motherfucking fried rice baby! It's true, you can put almost anything in a fried rice, no complaints about that. Cook it in a wok and not a saucepan cause woks are deeper and rounder, can toss the rice in it, which is not only satisfying but it even outs the flavor of the seasoning in the rice just right. And also the egg, it's not a fried rice without egg lol. But one thing I noticed is that, Soma's fried rice is fucking wet! It's shiny and gloopy! It's not supposed to look like that. Fried rice is fried, it's supposed to be dry not wet. Two reasons how this can happen, either he added the eggs on the rice and not on the ingredients cause eggs would make the rice sticky. They should be added on the ingredients while being stir-fried, rice is actually one of the last things to add in cooking fried rice. Or, and I think this is what happed given the nature of this cooking contest, he used freshly cooked rice. That's a big fucking no. You use cold rice straight out of the fridge, left over rice from the night before, not fresh cooked rice. Man, fried rice is a very common East Asian dish how come this is what they got wrong? How many other great dishes did this show butcher I wonder lol

Oh come on, obviously if you make the exact same fried rice that's been perfected over centuries then you are going to lose a contest like this! You think those judges want to award your grandma's fried rice? Sure, maybe it's perfect, but it isn't new, innovative, or expressive. If food is art, then you gotta break the rules man!

For me, my favorite food ever is a ribeye steak, but if I was a judge on a cooking contest and the chef served an unembellished one to me, he would lose.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 17, 2020 8:07 PM

Jul 2014
That was a pretty good episode, it really felt like good old Shokugeki.

Rantabi forcing the judge to eat was hilarious. She is best girl of this season by far.

Oh yeah, "the gifting" existed and it's back... twice! lol. You see, that's an absurd thing that the show has that is actually hilarious unlike Noir's superpowers.

And I really thought that Soma would say that what he had and Asahi lacked, was a mother's love lmao.
Sep 17, 2020 11:23 PM

May 2016
I actually teared up when he said he learned it from her mother, I would be really sad if he lose.
Sep 18, 2020 5:34 PM

Oct 2008
another intense episode!
"The Taste of Failure" i was not expecting that!
So Mana-sama a.k.a. Bookmaster was shown both gifting to Asahi & Souma...damn it can't be a tie!?
i thought the other characters won't show-up anymore but Hisako, Alice, Kurokiba & Hayama was there! nice!
5/5!

Sep 19, 2020 12:37 PM

Sep 2017
This was actually a good episode.Gave the same feeling as previous seasons
خ
Sep 20, 2020 12:45 PM
Nov 2015
FINALLY they get to battle. Kick his a** man!
Sep 24, 2020 1:41 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Damn I'm so proud of Soma coming this far and using his mother as inspiration. Obviously this is Soma's ultimate test, after 5 seasons. This dish could've been thr most intricate and complicated yet, but instead it's possibly the simplest dish of all. I really like that.

Being inspired by his Mother's tenacity, Soma was able to fight the best chefs again and again without being discouraged, knowing that failure is the ultimate teacher.
Oct 20, 2020 10:45 AM

Jun 2017
A bad idea to watch Shokugeki no Soma at midnight while feeling hungry. Now I'm craving for fried rice!😫

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Nov 4, 2020 10:33 AM

Mar 2019
This is probably the best episode so far, focused on the food and even if ridiculous with the gifting and recipes, it has the show's own touch.
Dec 6, 2020 11:29 AM

Mar 2010
I"m gonna guess the soma will lose, just my gut feeling. I don't see why he wouldn't but at the same time I really want erina to get raped. Kek

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 13, 2021 10:51 AM

Mar 2016
This... THIS is Shokugeki no Souma. Pure, unadulterated cooking duel between two excellent chefs.
How absolutely priceless it is to see two excellent dishes be judged by Mana herself, not to mention seeing her gifting in action, twice!

Oh Azami is also here, the whole Nakiri main family is here.
Jul 14, 2021 10:50 AM

Jul 2017
Not a bad episode. The dishes seemed more logical and interesting, justifying the interesting theme of meshing 5 big cuisines into one dish, and somewhat enough time was given to each dish. Soma's dish being fried rice is pretty universal with many cuisines, but the way he married all 5 into 1 somehow was satisfying to watch. The tournament's ass but this match was fairly okay. Could have used more time but compared to the other matchups this season, this one was actually having some amount of substance to it in terms of dishes. Nice seeing Soma's amount of failures growing up and in the academy, as well as utilizing his mother's failure of a fried rice dish, all come together to create a Bookmaster-approved dish.
Apr 16, 2022 6:26 AM

Apr 2013
Well finally an episode that actually felt like Food Wars.
Nov 9, 2023 2:55 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
In the flashback, I get Soma losing to Tsukasa and maybe Rindo. But c’mon, the rest of the elite ten? Really?

It makes me think his wins are a fluke. Or he only wins when it actually means something (which I guess is true)

I liked the dish this ep though!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

233 by penguin_sama »»
Jan 30, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

74 by phantom346 »»
Jan 10, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

168 by emptycamz »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

82 by aoo-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

71 by aoo-kun »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.