Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 5, 2020 1:55 PM

May 2019
ChetanS said:
Excellent! Keep it up.

Prosper the virtual world with "200" of love, ASUNA & KIRITO. 200 kids in 20min. :)

Finally it looks like ASUNA & KIRITO are gonna spend some time with each other. Want to see the next episode totally dedicated to that, "if they are really gonna spend 200 years".

MrBluebear said:
So supposedly in Underworld now, the Moon Cradle take place right if I'm not mistaken?

Jokes aside, there in the beginning of the Alicization season i was expecting:

- We already know that the main "moral" behind SAO is: "Virtual life IS real life". The whole thing with "the importance of the memories of 2 years in Aincrad" is about it.

- Kirito become a vegetable in the real world. Family and friends was expecting the RATH to heal him. What i do expect? Kirito just will live the rest of his days in that place 100% similar to real world, become a 100% virtual life, and Asuna will be okay with that.

So it went in different way, but no so much different. After all, Kirito and Asuna will live "the rest of their lifes" in a Virtual World, and the plot found a way to preserve their real bodies: super-acceleration of time.

And the "next" Arc in fact will be retrospect arc about the time they spent in Underworld.

Guys, it is the endgame for Kirito x Asuna. Anything more about them would be ridiculous, for example, if they just return with the same mind to real world.

200 years, more than 2 or 3 complete human lifetimes. Everything they could do, they did, everything they could think, they thought, everything they could learn, they learned. There is no way to somebody have 200 years of experience and still be the same person.

And the overload of memories? Do you remember that the ALL-MIGHTY Quinella had to split helself in 2 because her capacity of load memories was compromised after so long lifetime?

They could find way to keep their promisse of remember about their friends and some stuff, but the PERSONALITY, it is impossible the keep it the same.

It is OKAY if they return concious and not with a potato dead brain. I like SAO, but i will give a 5 to this season if Kirito and Asuna "for the power of love, friendship, and fluctolighto mumbo-jumbo" return just as the immature youngsters they were, and not like an ancient couple with 200 years of wisdom.

The only way they could keep their personality is if their brain was erased and reseted to the point they entered in the Underworld.

Rob7Sep 5, 2020 2:23 PM
Sep 5, 2020 2:09 PM

Dec 2016
The used OST in this scene:

reminds me of those great feelings from season one when Kirito & Asuna went to that house and then they met Yui.
I really love it. Here it is:
Sep 5, 2020 2:13 PM

May 2019
Short_Circut said:

and you'd think for a bunch of super duper villains, they'd at least put the super deadly explosive device in somewhere that wasn't so obvious lol

THAT is what you gain when you are the CIA and hire your special corps from a group of stupid FPS pro gamers
Sep 5, 2020 2:16 PM

Oct 2018
Piromysl said:

There must be some logical explanation why they have so much power. I understand that Asuna logged in high level character, but Kirito went from Zero to God in like one episode.
Please, explain.

The simple answer is because Kirito beat the Administrator Quinella. She even said herself: "Show me the power that I inherited you".
Incarnation works well alongside Authority. So the more authority you have, the more incarnation works.

Well It's just a logical response after what I read in the novels.
But this "Kayaba" whole thing in this episode is truly a joke.
It's literally ruined entire previous episodes efforts. Even the ending.

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN ADAPTED THIS IN WHOLE ONE EPISODE? :'))
Sep 5, 2020 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. The real world stuff is intense asf, Gabriel is KIA and Vassago is MIA. Kayaba appears, its good that they gave closure about the relationship between Rinko and him this episode. The bad guys escaped. After credits Asuna and Kirito are stuck in the underworld. To the next episode

Sep 5, 2020 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
So pretty boring episode except for that last few scenes where they said there was only 2 bodies.

Looks like Vassago is still alive?
removed-userSep 5, 2020 3:48 PM
Sep 5, 2020 2:32 PM

May 2019
At least we can all agree that this was the best episode about the "Ocean Turtle" subplot since the begin, in Alicization.

Anyway, be the "best" episode with the boring RATH characters is not a greeeaat thing. But even with the cringe Kayaba Robato, finally they did something that not made me all: "Damn, another break to show what they are doing out there again".
Sep 5, 2020 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
I am too far in to drop this show now, so I may as well see it through to the end, but this season is seriously testing my patience. Alicization started out pretty okay. It tapered off as it went, but this last arc has had the quality drop at light speed.
Sep 5, 2020 2:38 PM

Jul 2015
Cleostar said:
Piromysl said:

There must be some logical explanation why they have so much power. I understand that Asuna logged in high level character, but Kirito went from Zero to God in like one episode.
Please, explain.

The simple answer is because Kirito beat the Administrator Quinella. She even said herself: "Show me the power that I inherited you".
Incarnation works well alongside Authority. So the more authority you have, the more incarnation works.

Kind of makes sense. Thank you. And at least everyone can agree that Heartcliff coming out of literal nowhere despise being dead is an inexcusable asspull, but it may foreshadow Sachi somehow coming back. She deserved better.
Also, Asuna deciding to spend 200 years in game also makes no sense and the only explanation is that they really want to spend some value time together. But I doubt she asked him first.

Sep 5, 2020 2:38 PM

Jul 2015
It was already bad to have the Ironman asspull, but it was hilariously bad when it came back to life after being out of service.

Sep 5, 2020 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
Alicia finally got her revenge on Gabriel.

The whole robot incident was like a puzzle. When I saw traces of blood on a robot, I realized there's a character inside. Then the name Akihiko gave me flashbacks of season 1...Flashbacks of the original creator of Sword Art Online.
removed-userSep 5, 2020 2:54 PM
Sep 5, 2020 4:44 PM

Jan 2020
shit series, don't recommend
Sep 5, 2020 5:09 PM
Nov 2018
I have had to look up a lot of names during the course of this season. I didn't remember the name Akihiko, for example. Or that his girlfriend was the one who brought Asuna to the lab. I don't know how people can remember everything, or if everyone looks up things.

So there are ghosts now ... just insert a new mythology late in the story, will ya? It was enough that the villain died. You don't have to give him extra punishment in the form of ghost hands through the floor.

With all the magic in the Underworld I expect Kirito and Asuna will find a way to put themselves in deep sleep until it's time to wake up.

BUT, just give it a few years first. A few years of superpowers and unlimited sex without the risk of pregnancy.

Makes me wish Kirito could have been alone in there with all the Underworld girls who must be fawning over him after he has saved everyone - he'll get to Asuna later anyway. Unlimited harem with no pregnancy risk, no STDs, no exhaustion, no growing older. Way to block your boyfriend, Asuna!
Sep 5, 2020 5:14 PM

May 2020
well in the first half i thought this episode will gonna be good but guess what we got more fucking miracles yeahh we need more miracles fucking absolute shit
Sep 5, 2020 5:16 PM

Nov 2018
NF138 said:
I wonder what happened to Vassago's body.

Let me guessed, Vassago's body already left in STL boot... If you remembered that POH is become a dark tree, he still alive but he can't log out because if they retrieve Vassago's then he considered dead...
Sep 5, 2020 6:39 PM

Jun 2014
It feels like a new random miracle appears every episode that makes the previous episode's random miracle look like nothing in comparison lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 5, 2020 6:51 PM
Jun 2017
Still mistery what happen with Poh body and Niemon body. This make me feel goosebumps.
Sep 5, 2020 7:08 PM
Mar 2020
what really happened to gabriel's soul? Does it go to the after life or what? I don't understand
Sep 5, 2020 7:46 PM

Jun 2016
CrossBlack said:
Can't they just stop with this bullshit of bringing back old characters because the author doesn't know how to write a story?

The episode was pretty boring , it's been pretty hard to get invested in this season and they are just making it worse by focusing on side characters trying to make the plot make any sense.

Lol, another person critiquing the LN / Author for an anime adaptation. Not like every LN reader has been having a brain aneurysm every episode due to the absurdly poor decisions of whoever's directing this thing.

Just to put into perspective, dead characters have appearances or "return" quite often in anime from Sunrise's Gundam franchise to Shounen titles like Naruto, it's near irrelevant to the quality of the story as long as it has meaning. (Which in the anime adaptation there's almost none of)

They're not trying to make the plot make any sense. The adaptation has already fucked the plot so far that nothing they do can make it make any sense, they're just continuing to adapt the conclusion to the arc with equally shit decisions as before, such as Kayaba having absolutely no intro and making it near impossible for the anime only viewer to understand why he returns.

Can respect the steins;gate banner but adaptation =/= light novel, this is an episode discussion thread.
Sep 5, 2020 8:28 PM
Jan 2017
I wanna say this ep made me more hyped for next week than past one, yes Kirisuna ! BUT WHY THEY JUST COVER THE KISSES ??? DAMN A1
Sep 5, 2020 8:34 PM

Jun 2016
Hello again everyone, I'm here to write an encyclopedia page to myself again!
Seriously, who is directing this? It's like whoever adapted the first 4 episodes went MIA. From incredible anime only content to engage the viewer and keep the exposition easily understandable, we have the most mindless cutting of dialogue period.

Although the Kayaba scene was pretty good imo, it was nowhere near as good as it should have been. Same with the Kirito-Asuna scene epilogue, why they decided to use a Tender Feeling ost literally back to back after a 10s pause? (when theres literally almost a hundred osts to choose from) I have absolutely no idea.

Art & Animation - Thank you for the first time this season, I don't need to flood the thread with screenshots that hurt my soul. Although there was some odd faceless scene at the Kirito-Asuna epilogue, at the very least the art wasn't a rollercoaster of epic battle to ran out of budget.

Seriously, compared to last episode there's significantly more LN readers that have some form of praise. I don't get it. It's like we read different novels and watched different anime.

Kayaba's Development as the First Antagonist of SAO Cut. Beyond disappointing, it's an utter insult.
Seriously, this one upset me. Although it wasn't a climax battle, in the novels, I felt that Kayaba's return held significant importance and was incredibly 'hype'. His return had a significantly larger presence on the story and felt more emotional due to the context of the arc.

What happens in the anime? Instead of having Rinko and the staff notice one of their robots have gotten highjacked, lets just make Kayaba appear in the middle of a firefight. ??? Like his introduction is literally in the middle of a fucking gunfight, and then they decide to have Kayaba suddenly have a conversation while taking a bunch of bullets.......

Instead of just downright having Rinko mindlessly and confusedly asking if that's Kayaba, having the VA literally just voice the words "I will go" would have had much more impact on those in the audience that recognize the voice and will provoke certain thoughts to those who faintly remember hearing it somewhere before. Not to mention Rinko fucking lived with this man and loved him, she should recognize his voice with a bit more emotion rather than confusedly asking if it's actually him.

Also it kinda makes more sense that he's having a conversation not in the middle of a firefight...

Unvoiced Monologue Explaining Kayaba as a Character
Finally the decision not to include this also upsets me to no end. Not even in a show, not tell sort of fashion. This one was a big slap in the face tbh.

-----
It was true that they had faced many dangers so far. But Rinko felt
that she understood why Kayaba had chosen this moment to shed
his role as an observer.

“…He’s not doing it for Underworld. That man has no intention of
intervening with the simulation. He chose this moment to reveal
himself because he wants to protect Kirigaya-kun and Asunasan…”
----

Although, the first season wasn't without it's flaws as an adaptation. Disregarding Ordinal Scale, I feel like these few lines sum up Kayaba Akihiko, our first antagonist of this franchise, perfectly, yet whoever is directing doesn't decide to add it for whatever reason...

It cements and clarifies Kayaba's position as not a villain, but an observer with interests that once distraught the main character, and it even slightly builds his character as someone who has some feelings of care for Kirito and Asuna. (Yes they cut the ramen restaurant thing from S1, but his portrayal in the climax of Alfheim was enough to show that he doesn't downright disregard the two). Instead, Kayaba remains some random 'oh so mysterious' super genius that nobody can comprehend why he does anything.

Cutting Explanation of the Overarching Plot of the Entire Franchise

Honestly, at the very least, this line should have been monologued by Rinko's thoughts.

"That’s what you noticed and discovered during your two years in that floating castle — their infinite potential, and the dazzling, blinding light of their spirits."

It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that the premise of Sword Art Online (franchise, not arc1) is about incarnation or human will transcending the limits imposed by a system if you're reading the novels. However, if you're watching the anime... You may need a whole squad of researchers, since it may be safe to say that the director probably doesn't even know.

Miracles vs Plot Devices
—I don’t believe in miracles.

Kayaba Akihiko said to Rinko that day — the day that the death
game SAO was cleared far ahead of schedule and every player was
released.

His eyes shone with an unwavering light, and his unshaven mouth
was curved into the hint of a smile.

—But today, for the first time in my life, I witnessed a miracle.

—I had him at the end of my sword; his HP should have dropped
to zero for good. But almost as if he were resisting the system
itself, he refused to accept his own destruction… then he moved
his right hand, and thrust his own sword into my chest.

—That moment might have been just what I’ve been waiting for
all this time…

Finally, after 5 years the mysterious reason as to why Kayaba Akihiko trapped TEN THOUSAND PLAYERS in a Death Game, may have been revealed. A-1 decides to fuck over everyone and anyone following this series. I genuinely fail to understand what the director is doing with this anime. At this point I genuinely think they despise this franchise or something and is subtly fucking with anyone who wants to watch it.

The only single praiseworthy decision in this adaptation was the inclusion of the butterfly on the flower, which first introduced us to this arc and the Underworld in episode 1. I think it was brilliant they decided to have the same scene conclude the Underworld.
InorichiSep 5, 2020 8:42 PM
Sep 5, 2020 8:38 PM
Sep 2016
Piromysl said:
Cleostar said:

Kind of makes sense. Thank you. And at least everyone can agree that Heartcliff coming out of literal nowhere despise being dead is an inexcusable asspull, but it may foreshadow Sachi somehow coming back. She deserved better.
Also, Asuna deciding to spend 200 years in game also makes no sense and the only explanation is that they really want to spend some value time together. But I doubt she asked him first.

Kayaba cloned his mind before dying, that was explained during the ALO arc if i remember right. Its not like he actually came back from the dead. I think the bigger asspull here was Robocop moving his destroyed body with the power of friendship (and the Heatcliff speech by Rinko, damn that was cringy).
Sep 5, 2020 8:42 PM

Feb 2015
SAO, yet again, shits the bed at the end. What an undeniable trend. Something no-one can defend.

Perhaps the worst of all SAO's finales.
Sep 5, 2020 11:14 PM
Mar 2017
I dont mind the moving robot akihiko kayaba consciousness saving the day im more interested on what happened to vassago fluctlight and his real life body because we only saw 2 terorrist personnel deceased body were recovered and vassago body were nowhere has been seen.
Sep 5, 2020 11:20 PM
Jul 2019
Oh fuck you man. You pulled that bullshit in season 1 with Kirito, now you're gonna do the same with the robot. The robot disappeared like a goddamn horror game ghost. Now Vassago is gone after clearly seeing he's dead.

What a pile of dogshit this show is. I'm genuinely angry. The worst season yet.
Sep 5, 2020 11:33 PM

Sep 2016
Oh gosh the replies lmao.
Four seasons explaining this shit every time, yet people still don't get it and call asspulls.
And yet they're still watching it. Makes you wonder ;')

In any case, after the literal best episode ever last week, this one's managed to keep me on the edge of my seat all the time.
It also adapted a whole lot, it felt so long.
And now, one more week to see what's next.

I wonder now, how will they handle the remaining 2 eps.
Will they show us the post-logout Kirito and Asuna and how/if they withstood these 110/120+ years?
Or is the next arc (Moon Cradle) about their time in Underworld, so what we get to see at the end of Alicization is the other characters' destiny?

In any case, I'm curious to see Alice looking at the real world. Hope next week we'll see that :)
bruh
Sep 5, 2020 11:33 PM

Aug 2017
Marinate1016 said:
Too much Kirisuna. Not enough Alice. 0/10 ep.

Yep I agree. Alice best girl. Sinon second.
Sep 5, 2020 11:45 PM
Apr 2018
Rob7 said:
ChetanS said:
Excellent! Keep it up.

Prosper the virtual world with "200" of love, ASUNA & KIRITO. 200 kids in 20min. :)

Finally it looks like ASUNA & KIRITO are gonna spend some time with each other. Want to see the next episode totally dedicated to that, "if they are really gonna spend 200 years".

- We already know that the main "moral" behind SAO is: "Virtual life IS real life". The whole thing with "the importance of the memories of 2 years in Aincrad" is about it.

- Kirito become a vegetable in the real world. Family and friends was expecting the RATH to heal him. What i do expect? Kirito just will live the rest of his days in that place 100% similar to real world, become a 100% virtual life, and Asuna will be okay with that.

So it went in different way, but no so much different. After all, Kirito and Asuna will live "the rest of their lifes" in a Virtual World, and the plot found a way to preserve their real bodies: super-acceleration of time.

And the "next" Arc in fact will be retrospect arc about the time they spent in Underworld.

Guys, it is the endgame for Kirito x Asuna. Anything more about them would be ridiculous, for example, if they just return with the same mind to real world.

200 years, more than 2 or 3 complete human lifetimes. Everything they could do, they did, everything they could think, they thought, everything they could learn, they learned. There is no way to somebody have 200 years of experience and still be the same person.

And the overload of memories? Do you remember that the ALL-MIGHTY Quinella had to split helself in 2 because her capacity of load memories was compromised after so long lifetime?

They could find way to keep their promisse of remember about their friends and some stuff, but the PERSONALITY, it is impossible the keep it the same.

It is OKAY if they return concious and not with a potato dead brain. I like SAO, but i will give a 5 to this season if Kirito and Asuna "for the power of love, friendship, and fluctolighto mumbo-jumbo" return just as the immature youngsters they were, and not like an ancient couple with 200 years of wisdom.

The only way they could keep their personality is if their brain was erased and reseted to the point they entered in the Underworld.

Hi @Rob7,
ASUNA & KIRITO are not virtual humans (even if they are in virtual reality). Whatever one says, QUINELLA is a virtual character (i.e she isn't real) so there must be obviously a limit to her memory storage even if she is shown to have human qualities.

If i be realistic, QUINELLA is just isn't possible ; the idea of being a human (she is administrator/god) & not having the "best" memory storage, already denies the idea that she is real.

Humans can not only STORE, but are also able to DELETE, MODIFY & even EMPTY their memories as per their will. There's also a Godly state (in real) in which human can literally know & access everything even if they don't have any memory in the physical body.
Even if i said this, KIRITO & ASUNA (normal humans) might or might not be able to do what i mentioned above, which might prove you're right. I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THE POSSIBILITY WHICH NOT MANY OF US ARE AWARE.

Its fun when someone replies to my comment. :)
Doutei-kunSep 5, 2020 11:49 PM
Sep 6, 2020 2:58 AM

Oct 2018
Inorichi said:

Finally the decision not to include this also upsets me to no end. Not even in a show, not tell sort of fashion. This one was a big slap in the face tbh.

this is what I've been wondering for so long. SAO anime lacks the depth of explanation that the novels had ever since season 1. What the hell A-1 has been doing for long time? They never learn from past mistakes.

The scenario movement was always just move forwards whatsoever with the lack of plot twists (which is actually very necessary because SAO is hard to preach for audiences about the actual meaning of their powers despite SAO is categorized as neither SciFi nor Mystery)
Sep 6, 2020 4:29 AM
Dec 2019
GUESS WHO'S BACK. KAYABA'S BACK
Sep 6, 2020 4:31 AM
Dec 2019
Yautja said:
SAO, yet again, shits the bed at the end. What an undeniable trend. Something no-one can defend.

Perhaps the worst of all SAO's finales.

not gonna lie this is pretty much what happened at the end of aincrad and alicization
Sep 6, 2020 4:41 AM

May 2019
Cleostar said:
Inorichi said:

this is what I've been wondering for so long. SAO anime lacks the depth of explanation that the novels had ever since season 1. What the hell A-1 has been doing for long time? They never learn from past mistakes.

The scenario movement was always just move forwards whatsoever with the lack of plot twists (which is actually very necessary because SAO is hard to preach for audiences about the actual meaning of their powers despite SAO is categorized as neither SciFi nor Mystery)

At this point it is not a mistake by A-1, it is on purpose.

The Director is aware that Kayaba's endgame is about "spirit, soul", almost religious afterlife mumbo-jumbo, and he despises it.

@Inorichi did a great sumary about the most important revelations that were cuted. It too consistent for a mistake. A-1 don't want the anime have this moral behind it.

I'm curious what tbe author of SAO think about this point of the adaptation. Probably he is forbidden by contrat to leak any word about it.
Sep 6, 2020 4:47 AM
Jan 2018
This episode feels so short, because i slept through the entire thing
Sep 6, 2020 5:16 AM

Oct 2018
Rob7 said:
Cleostar said:

At this point it is not a mistake by A-1, it is on purpose.

The Director is aware that Kayaba's endgame is about "spirit, soul", almost religious afterlife mumbo-jumbo, and he despises it.

@Inorichi did a great sumary about the most important revelations that were cuted. It too consistent for a mistake. A-1 don't want the anime have this moral behind it.

I'm curious what tbe author of SAO think about this point of the adaptation. Probably he is forbidden by contrat to leak any word about it.

lmao true. SAO anime's director maybe purposely trying to cut some big brain moments to get some lighter audiences (what we called as "normies") No wonder this shit is so popular out there.
Sep 6, 2020 5:41 AM

Nov 2017
Gabriel is finally dead IRL! Akihiko's masterpiece! On the other hand, Asuna is still true to herself! xD
Sep 6, 2020 6:05 AM
Jul 2020
I liked this episode but it was confusing as hell.
-Kayaba in a robot? How did that even happen. Just showed up out of nowhere.
-I understand Gabriel’s death, but how did his brother die. It looked like Gabriel died to some type of mental problem but his brother should’ve just gotten logged out.

Other than these, I liked how the assistant guy volunteered to go remove the bomb and how Niemon actually played a good part in it all. Wished they could’ve added some clips of Kirito and Asuna living out the 100+ years in the Underworld.
Sep 6, 2020 6:18 AM

May 2019
ChetanS said:
Rob7 said:

Hi @Rob7,
ASUNA & KIRITO are not virtual humans (even if they are in virtual reality). Whatever one says, QUINELLA is a virtual character (i.e she isn't real) so there must be obviously a limit to her memory storage even if she is shown to have human qualities.

If i be realistic, QUINELLA is just isn't possible ; the idea of being a human (she is administrator/god) & not having the "best" memory storage, already denies the idea that she is real.

Humans can not only STORE, but are also able to DELETE, MODIFY & even EMPTY their memories as per their will. There's also a Godly state (in real) in which human can literally know & access everything even if they don't have any memory in the physical body.
Even if i said this, KIRITO & ASUNA (normal humans) might or might not be able to do what i mentioned above, which might prove you're right. I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THE POSSIBILITY WHICH NOT MANY OF US ARE AWARE.

Its fun when someone replies to my comment. :)

That is right that a being like Quinella based only in "Fluctolighto" without a biological body to suport maybe have limitations that Kirito and Asuna haven't.

But anyway what is bugging me is the personality, not the memories (wich they already foreshadowed that KiriSuna are not going to forget nobody even spending 200 years in Underworld).

Why do we get more mature and have a different mind over the age? Just biological effect? No, it is also the memories, experience and they way you build your character.

For example Kirito itself. In just 2 years, even if his body was basically the same, he experienced a huge devenlopment is his character, mind and personality. Now think this process but after 200 years.

I would like if the author of SAO (i don't think this point will be Anime's fault) could respect the audience a bit more and give a bit more reasonable solution for this issue, fror example:

- Kirito and Asuna for sure need to live some years in the Underworld to help this world to find peace and devenlopment after the mess made by Quinella and this war (It is the plot of Moon Crade Arc btw)

- Spending 200 years in UW would mean to KiriSuna to see most friends there aging and dying. The immortal dillema.

- Knowing that they will leave that world in 200 years at least, a interesting solution would spent some years there, say goodbye to everyone once everything is setled in UW, and then "FROZEN" THEMSELVES for near 200 years, protecting their own memories and personality from aging, and their fluctolight from any kind of overload.

Since KiriSuna have all-mighty administrator powers, this would be a simple task to them. And would explain nicely how they could just wake up in real world with their brains in perfect state.

"Ah but the RATH guy said that if Kirito 'dies' in UW during this, his brain would also turn into a potato"

Okay, because if you try to disconnect, you can't control how your mind will "wait" for the return to the biological brain, while inducing a long stasis you can.

"Oh but Kirito can't know the exact moment they would be logged off, and if it happens when they are unconcious in stasis... they will become like this in real body too!"

No, because they was controling this stasis condition, different of being "dead in UW", the same concept above.

Anyway, the no matter the solution the plot find to it, the issue is: KiriSuna spending 200 years conscious in UW is stupid. Why would they want to be like Bercouli?
Sep 6, 2020 6:29 AM

Sep 2015
The finale of Game of Thrones was better than this episode :/

Reki Kawahara: "Kayaba kinda forgot his robot just died."
Sep 6, 2020 6:35 AM

May 2019
PraizOP said:
I liked this episode but it was confusing as hell.
-Kayaba in a robot? How did that even happen. Just showed up out of nowhere.
-I understand Gabriel’s death, but how did his brother die. It looked like Gabriel died to some type of mental problem but his brother should’ve just gotten logged out.

Other than these, I liked how the assistant guy volunteered to go remove the bomb and how Niemon actually played a good part in it all. Wished they could’ve added some clips of Kirito and Asuna living out the 100+ years in the Underworld.

By Gabriel's "brother" you mean, Vassago / PoH, right? (they are not family. Or the "bro" there was in the meaning of "pal", "friend"?)

Anyway, it is clear that Vassago has not died. The "evil-hacker" guy just mistake it because Vassago's face in shock.

We can remember that Kirito just turned Vassago into an ancient tree and said "[b]maybe in some hundreds of years someone cuts you[b] (just like we did to the tree wich my blade came from)"

So, more than a hudred years (5 min) have passed in super-acceleration of time in Underworld, somehow Vassago-tree was cutted and he logged off, and then returned to the real world surely with his brain and mind compromissed.
Sep 6, 2020 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
stupid story !! why the dead man kayaba can revived into robocop haha
Sep 6, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2017
Inorichi said:
Hello again everyone, I'm here to write an encyclopedia page to myself again!
Seriously, who is directing this? It's like whoever adapted the first 4 episodes went MIA. From incredible anime only content to engage the viewer and keep the exposition easily understandable, we have the most mindless cutting of dialogue period.

Although the Kayaba scene was pretty good imo, it was nowhere near as good as it should have been. Same with the Kirito-Asuna scene epilogue, why they decided to use a Tender Feeling ost literally back to back after a 10s pause? (when theres literally almost a hundred osts to choose from) I have absolutely no idea.

Art & Animation - Thank you for the first time this season, I don't need to flood the thread with screenshots that hurt my soul. Although there was some odd faceless scene at the Kirito-Asuna epilogue, at the very least the art wasn't a rollercoaster of epic battle to ran out of budget.

Seriously, compared to last episode there's significantly more LN readers that have some form of praise. I don't get it. It's like we read different novels and watched different anime.

Kayaba's Development as the First Antagonist of SAO Cut. Beyond disappointing, it's an utter insult.
Seriously, this one upset me. Although it wasn't a climax battle, in the novels, I felt that Kayaba's return held significant importance and was incredibly 'hype'. His return had a significantly larger presence on the story and felt more emotional due to the context of the arc.

What happens in the anime? Instead of having Rinko and the staff notice one of their robots have gotten highjacked, lets just make Kayaba appear in the middle of a firefight. ??? Like his introduction is literally in the middle of a fucking gunfight, and then they decide to have Kayaba suddenly have a conversation while taking a bunch of bullets.......

Instead of just downright having Rinko mindlessly and confusedly asking if that's Kayaba, having the VA literally just voice the words "I will go" would have had much more impact on those in the audience that recognize the voice and will provoke certain thoughts to those who faintly remember hearing it somewhere before. Not to mention Rinko fucking lived with this man and loved him, she should recognize his voice with a bit more emotion rather than confusedly asking if it's actually him.

Also it kinda makes more sense that he's having a conversation not in the middle of a firefight...

-----
It was true that they had faced many dangers so far. But Rinko felt
that she understood why Kayaba had chosen this moment to shed
his role as an observer.

“…He’s not doing it for Underworld. That man has no intention of
intervening with the simulation. He chose this moment to reveal
himself because he wants to protect Kirigaya-kun and Asunasan…”
----

Although, the first season wasn't without it's flaws as an adaptation. Disregarding Ordinal Scale, I feel like these few lines sum up Kayaba Akihiko, our first antagonist of this franchise, perfectly, yet whoever is directing doesn't decide to add it for whatever reason...

It cements and clarifies Kayaba's position as not a villain, but an observer with interests that once distraught the main character, and it even slightly builds his character as someone who has some feelings of care for Kirito and Asuna. (Yes they cut the ramen restaurant thing from S1, but his portrayal in the climax of Alfheim was enough to show that he doesn't downright disregard the two). Instead, Kayaba remains some random 'oh so mysterious' super genius that nobody can comprehend why he does anything.

Cutting Explanation of the Overarching Plot of the Entire Franchise

Honestly, at the very least, this line should have been monologued by Rinko's thoughts.

"That’s what you noticed and discovered during your two years in that floating castle — their infinite potential, and the dazzling, blinding light of their spirits."

It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that the premise of Sword Art Online (franchise, not arc1) is about incarnation or human will transcending the limits imposed by a system if you're reading the novels. However, if you're watching the anime... You may need a whole squad of researchers, since it may be safe to say that the director probably doesn't even know.

Miracles vs Plot Devices
—I don’t believe in miracles.

Kayaba Akihiko said to Rinko that day — the day that the death
game SAO was cleared far ahead of schedule and every player was
released.

His eyes shone with an unwavering light, and his unshaven mouth
was curved into the hint of a smile.

—But today, for the first time in my life, I witnessed a miracle.

—I had him at the end of my sword; his HP should have dropped
to zero for good. But almost as if he were resisting the system
itself, he refused to accept his own destruction… then he moved
his right hand, and thrust his own sword into my chest.

—That moment might have been just what I’ve been waiting for
all this time…

Finally, after 5 years the mysterious reason as to why Kayaba Akihiko trapped TEN THOUSAND PLAYERS in a Death Game, may have been revealed. A-1 decides to fuck over everyone and anyone following this series. I genuinely fail to understand what the director is doing with this anime. At this point I genuinely think they despise this franchise or something and is subtly fucking with anyone who wants to watch it.

The only single praiseworthy decision in this adaptation was the inclusion of the butterfly on the flower, which first introduced us to this arc and the Underworld in episode 1. I think it was brilliant they decided to have the same scene conclude the Underworld.
Personally i still call bullshit as to why the author is still tryong to picture him as not a bad guy, regardless of whatever his motive was in killing the 4000 people back in SAO. Also in his faith being shaken over a stupid plot armor from back then as if it wasn't stupid enough already
Sep 6, 2020 8:09 AM

Jan 2019
Robocop Kayaba coming back tho lol. Saw that coming from a light-year away.

Also, how'd Miller and Vassago die? Is it like a "they die in game, they die in real life" thing again?
Sep 6, 2020 8:24 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, this season just gets worse and worse. 2.5/10
Sep 6, 2020 9:11 AM

Jul 2017
Well well, after all this fiasco, Kirito and Asuna have made their choice, to stay in Underworld for 200 years confinement, that's a given.

The impending fiasco within the Ocean Turtle, it's honestly just too convoluted and stupid to drag this throughout the ENTIRE episode.

Gabriel and Vassago's road to hell, what a pathetic way to die after being Sugou-like antagonists for the majority of the time.

And of course, Kayaba Akihiko being Robocop OUT OF NOWHERE, just for sacrifical purposes.

The best part of the episode is Kirito and Asuna's meeting, just like Season 1 during their time together in the 32nd Floor in the woods, just spending life together in Aincrad, until their final moments of the 1st Cour.

@_MushiRock11_ Sadly yes, only the post-credits ending I have to agree that that's the best part of the episode. All else of this can be a total MISS.
Sep 6, 2020 9:43 AM

Oct 2017
Syureria said:
The robot is Kayaba Akihiko. I really don't understand.
Understand what? Why Akihiko was in that Robot's body. If so then as u already know Akihiko Kayaba has a left himself ad virtual being in the world. So he can literaly go in anywhere he want.
Sep 6, 2020 9:49 AM
Jan 2016
Another cringe episode honestly. Even the previous one also the same. The power of shouting and friendship is just too op in this anime. Please nerf. Also, can't seem to understand why both Asuna and Kirito chosed to not log out.
Sep 6, 2020 10:02 AM

Mar 2017
Wtf... so Vissago AND Niemon have just disappeared? Also, am I right in thinking that people forgot about Vissago? Cause Gabriel couldn't remember who he was and the guys in the sub didn't mention him being missing.

That whole thing with Kayaba as the robot was already ridiculous, but then he can apparently get the bloody thing moving again with sheer will power even though it's damaged beyond repair? So dumb.

I feel like Kikuoka is gonna die but this is SAO so he'll probably 'die' and come back again somehow!
Sep 6, 2020 11:24 AM

May 2020
I actually liked this episode more than last week's.

Only thing... that Kayaba ass pull was the usual unexplained (at least in the adaptation) deus ex machina. If it hadn't been for that scene, it would have been a really good episode in my opinion. Loved that classical OST in the last scene, it's my favourite from the soundtrack and it is perfect with its tinges of nostalgia to life in Aincrad.

Now give me some Alice, please. Remember when she was the central character in WoU part 1 and thus the season was so good (for SAO standards)? I'm looking forward to next week's episode.
Sep 6, 2020 11:59 AM

Apr 2018
Kirito and Asuna stayed behind after getting Alice out. Both Vissago and Miller are dead and to my freaking surprise, Akihiko comes back to save the day. Legit jumped out of my chair because of that.
KarsaaaSep 6, 2020 12:51 PM
Sep 6, 2020 12:28 PM
Jun 2020
Karsaaa said:
Kirito and Asuna stayed behind after getting Alice out. Both the Vissago and Miller are dead and to my freaking surprise, Akihiko comes back to save the day. Legit jumped out of my chair because of that.

vassago's fate is unknown so dont day my boy is dead
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2020

320 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Jan 15, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

209 by razisgosu »»
Jan 13, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Aug 29, 2020

261 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.