Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 13, 2021 3:15 PM

Jul 2020
Loved this series. Could have been a better last few episodes with a more interesting game and maybe a more impactful but it did not stop it from being intense and brutal. Hope the 2nd season will be just as good!
May 17, 2021 6:43 PM
Dec 2020
This turned me down after watching the previous episodes since my 9/10 for this series changed to a 8/10(went back to 9 because of the awesome fuckin bridge that this leads to season 2). But still, if this had a single season there'd be extreme suspense and thrill but it just took that out which was the whole appeal of this series. A mid episode on an overall great anime. I kinda hated it due to this being the ending yet still was fun seeing kaiji actually get outsmarted(or outlucked) for once
Jun 17, 2021 12:31 PM

Jun 2019
My 81st completed (only one season) series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jul 18, 2021 11:57 AM
Feb 2018
I'd say Hyodo was pretty generous. He knew about Kaiji's cheating and instead of executing him, he still gave him a chance to beat him through luck. Hyodo is pretty psychotic for sure, but not unreasonable.

At the end Kaiji did this to himself, he could've walked away after beating Tonegawa. Even if he had a sure way to win (which counted on way too many things to go right), losing 4 fingers was way too risky. Now he has debt + medical bills.

Hope Kaiji beats Hyodo in the future, but looking at it right now the manga isn't even over. I'll keep hoping.
Aug 21, 2021 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
Kind of MEH ending.
First of all, I thought Kaiji wanted REVENGE on the boss, not more money!!!
In the end the boss made a 100mln bet.
Had Kaiji won, he'd consider that a satisfying vengeance??? Really?
Plus, it was the boss who suggested 100mln. Shouldn't Kaiji have been the one to demand what he wants the boss to bet against him???
I though he'd say F your money, I want you to apologize the same way Tonegawa did!!! A fiery apology! Or something humiliating...

8/10. Though it was a solid 9/10 85% of the season for me...
Oct 10, 2021 10:11 PM
Jul 2018
Wow I wouldn't have thought an anime could end on such a "bad" note. Not in terms of quality, but I mean for the main character. It takes balls to end a season like that. The only reason they shouldn't have ended the season with Kaiji's failure is out of fear of Kaiji 'stans' being angry and wanting to see a happy ending.
I'm impressed, though.

Honestly, they DID need a motivation for Kaiji to keep pursuing gambling in the next season -- a way to draw the story out. They couldn't give him $100million this early on in the franchise... I guess.

Poor Kaiji. At least they revealed in the episode why Kaiji failed. It would've been one thing to end it on utter unfairness (cheating aside) -- but at least Kaiji acknowledged to oversights in retrospect, and was able to see that he had a CHANCE to beat Hyodo -- if he paid more attention and searched for the creased or crumbled paper. It gives the viewer contentment, that the MC is still smart enough to recognize these kinds of factors -- and hope that maybe he'll continue to use his wits in the next season.

I'm not entirely unsatisfied and praise the risks this anime takes. But I do feel bad for Kaiji. Imagine going through Rock/Paper/Scissors, the first AND second bridge, E-Card, and the lottery ---- and losing a shot at $100 million, as well as four fingers and an ear. So close!

=====

Although, the narrator said Kaiji walked out with nothing. This may be true, but ONE thing Kaiji can be satisfied with is that he bested the rather cruel Tonegawa. Kaiji got Tonegawa demoted, humiliated him, and got him grilled (which was a bit much), but it is SLIGHT atonement for the death of the bridge walkers. In that, he didn't tell them the electricity had been cut.

=====

Overall, 8/10 anime. The pacing is kind of slow. The Rock/Paper/Scissor wasn't too bad -- but it was during E-Card that they really drew things out, and characters began repeating themselves during inner monologues. I don't think there was any inconsistencies or anything 'TOO' far-fetched.
removed-userOct 10, 2021 10:15 PM
Dec 7, 2021 5:32 AM
Mar 2020
"The time to show your pride is during such a crushing defeat".
What a shame that he wasn't thinking straight. and he wasnt regretting he lost, he was regretting that he couldve won. that may be similar but it's entirely different if you think about it. he really has the mindset of a winner but he did a blunder
Jan 30, 2022 10:37 AM

Feb 2021
really satisfied with the ending. good twist not having the mc win at the end
Apr 16, 2022 6:43 PM

Mar 2021
kaiji u lost everything u shithead, nvm got another season for him to at least get rid of his debt
๐Ÿ

Jul 15, 2022 2:05 AM

Jan 2020
MIRAI WA BOKURA NO TE NO NAKA
Sep 1, 2022 2:37 AM

Aug 2018
This was a shocking conclusion to the final bet I must say tho, the president probably has 50+ years of expierence with betting and gambling so tricking him with something like this isn’t gonna work .

Very happy that Kaiji took it like a man in the end and even asked presidents real name , truly an unfortunate fellow but stood with head high till the end.

Looks like there’s another season ahead , I really liked the atmosphere and fitting animation style of this show overall and there were some excellent moments of suspense and surprises so I do feel glad I gave something unusual like gambling anime a shot
Oct 1, 2022 9:09 AM
Aug 2021
Well that was some stupidass ending and so was the MC. I don't see how this anime got 8+ rating and beat Akagi which is way better in everything.
Dec 31, 2022 1:38 PM

Sep 2017
I noticed it from the beginning, that the paper was tied. But I guess it would've made too much sense for Kaiji to notice that
The whole thing didn't make sense from the beginning. Beating the boss with some cheap trick? Of course not
ุฎ
Feb 11, 2023 5:35 AM

Apr 2022
wtf i did not expect that at all. really thought kaiji was gonna win the 100m but holy shit there's no plot armor for the mc in this show. 
certainly lived up to the suspense, HIGH stakes and hype. easy 10/10 for me.
Mar 22, 2023 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
welp, that's what you get for being too cocky. It would be just too boring if he does win and not get any consequences for pushing too hard.
May 24, 2023 9:05 PM
Sep 2020
This show changes the WHOLE game...
Jun 15, 2023 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
quite the anime, i must say.
Aug 10, 2023 2:43 PM
Aug 2022
He's Japanese Randy Marsh. Not knowing to walk away and getting more screwed over. 

Serves you right dumfuk. What good would 100 mn yen less do to his rich ass?

I wasnt expecting this satisfying ending. 
Jan 6, 6:33 PM

Apr 2013
I can't believe that author did that!!!!! WHY NOBODY NOTICE THAT F*CKING FOLD MARK IN THE PAPER????????

.·:*¨ ๐•พ๐–Š๐–™ ๐•ธ๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–—๐–Š๐–Š - ๐•ต๐–Š๐–˜๐–˜๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–† ๐•ต๐–š๐–“๐–Œ ¨*:·. ๐“†ฉโ™ก๐“†ช
๐Ÿฌ:๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ใ…‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ
โ†บ¹ |โ— โ–ถ โ–ท| โ‹ฎ≡
Jan 29, 6:04 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
That creepy creepy text is lame when it voiced it sometimes appears and sometimes it doesn't and pretty annoying for me
Jan 31, 2:31 PM
Oct 2017
This anime is a fucking masterpiece, it made gambling incredibly interesting and all battles were amazingly tight and interesting, always ready to follow, the logic and abilities of the characters is all incredibly believable and the personalities of the fighters were really fantastic to analyze. And pain, oh boy, we ended in a lot of pain, that was really hurtful, but still incredible.

Of all things I was praying, when the only person I should depend in is myself.
May 5, 8:01 AM
Apr 2024
Best anime about gamblecore
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Torisunanohokori - Mar 4, 2008

121 by NostalgiaDrive94 »»
May 14, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.