Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei' Ends 12-Year Publication

New
Jun 23, 2020 11:40 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Tsutomu Satou's Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) light novel will end its 12-year publication with the 32nd volume, according to a post by the series' official Twitter account on Wednesday. The final volume—Sacrifice-hen/Sotsugyou-hen (Sacrifice Arc/Graduation Arc)—is scheduled for a September 10 release.

Synopsis
In the dawn of the 21st century, magic, long thought to be folklore and fairy tales, has become a systematized technology and is taught as a technical skill. In First High School, the institution for magicians, students are segregated into two groups based on their entrance exam scores: "Blooms," those who receive high scores, are assigned to the First Course, while "Weeds" are reserve students assigned to the Second Course.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows the siblings, Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba, who are enrolled in First High School. Upon taking the exam, the prodigious Miyuki is placed in the First Course, while Tatsuya is relegated to the Second Course. Though his practical test scores and status as a "Weed" show him to be magically inept, he possesses extraordinary technical knowledge, physical combat capabilities, and unique magic techniques—making Tatsuya the irregular at a magical high school. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Satou originally published the sci-fi action novel on the Shousetsuka ni Narou website in 2008. Dengeki Bunko began printing the novel in July 2011, featuring illustrations by Kana Ishida (Shounen Maid, Wakaba*Girl). Kadokawa published the 31st volume on April 10 (pictured). Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei has a cumulative 15 million copies of its volumes in print.

Hasumi Takeda began drawing the latest manga adaptation of the light novel in GFantasy magazine on March 18. The manga will cover the Shizoku Kaigi-hen (Master Clans Conference Arc), which spans from volumes 17–19.

Madhouse produced a 26-episode television anime in Spring 2014, covering the first seven volumes. The Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo (The Irregular at Magic High School The Movie - The Girl Who Summons The Stars) film by animation studio 8bit opened in Japan in June 2017.

Aniplex of America licensed the anime series in North America and released it on three Blu-ray volumes in 2015. The company also screened the Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo anime film in the United States theaters in July 2017 and released it on Blu-ray in July 2018. Funimation began streaming the film in the United States and Canada on April 21.

Yen Press licensed the light novel in English in 2015 and published the 15th volume on April 7. The 16th volume is planned for a November 17 release.

The Dengeki Bunko Aki no Namahousou Festival announced a second anime season last October, which was originally scheduled to air in Summer 2020, but was delayed to Fall 2020 in light of the new COVID-19. The second season, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen, will adapt volumes nine through eleven.

Novel official site: https://dengekibunko.jp/special/mahouka/
Novel official Twitter: @dengeki_mahouka

Source: Oricon News

Jun 23, 2020 11:57 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Right, so the 2nd Season was pretty much just advertisement for this, huh? Well, not that I mind.

12 years of publication sure sounds like a lot though, congratulations to the creators!

Here’s to hoping this’ll end on a bang and we will get more animated content in the future.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 24, 2020 12:28 AM

Jul 2016
Hoping for full adaption of LN. Gonna catch up to LN.

Jun 24, 2020 12:46 AM

Feb 2016
I really want to catch up to the latest volume but the official translations are really slow and I don't want MTL

Well 32 volumes are on the higher side of any dengeki novel (not counting Index)
Jun 24, 2020 2:57 AM

Feb 2012
Onii-sama deserves a great end and hopefully a full adaptation.
Jun 24, 2020 3:14 AM

Oct 2010
32 volumes, that's a lot. I only know about it from the mal fans who post about how awesome onii-sama is and his harem.
Jun 24, 2020 3:55 AM

Jan 2018
I'm really going to miss Tatsuya haven't really read after vol 12 but well seems like gonna read it pretty soon. I hope the author will continue it like dxd author did and maybe he can learn something from to aru author lol.
Jun 24, 2020 4:06 AM
Apr 2014
Thats sad. Season 2 will be one cour only and they will never make more season after to adapt the last 20 volumes. They are making the second season only to boost the sales for the last volumes

After Konosuba, Hataraku no maou-sama and Strike the blood, this also ending. Sad year for light novels
paoalmyrosJun 24, 2020 4:41 AM
Jun 24, 2020 5:34 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm... Well, we can now on a full adaption expect for sure... - but this means that we'll not more of Tatsuya and others have... It was a nice ride in the past years...

G'gratulation for such interesting and cool work behind, props!

Hmm... Just let's hope that we'll now from Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon have more (more seasons...)
Jun 24, 2020 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
Tatsuya x Miyuki for the win! That's the only ending I'll accept. Also wish Honoka dies in the end, nobody will miss her.
Jun 24, 2020 12:48 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
12 years is a long grind
Jun 24, 2020 1:36 PM
Jul 2017
paoalmyros said:
Thats sad. Season 2 will be one cour only and they will never make more season after to adapt the last 20 volumes. They are making the second season only to boost the sales for the last volumes

After Konosuba, Hataraku no maou-sama and Strike the blood, this also ending. Sad year for light novels

I don't really get how things ending is sad. Things that end well are infinitely better than things that just go on and on or get axed halfway through.
Jun 24, 2020 2:08 PM

Aug 2010
ysphyr said:
Tatsuya x Miyuki for the win! That's the only ending I'll accept. Also wish Honoka dies in the end, nobody will miss her.

I've never agreed so fully with a comment in my life.
Jun 24, 2020 2:09 PM

Jul 2019
12 years is a lot. Congratulations for creating this work. I hope you will adapt everything soon.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Jun 24, 2020 4:00 PM
May 2016
ysphyr said:

Honoka? like Mitsui Honoka? What's wrong with her?
Jun 24, 2020 5:44 PM
Nov 2014
Godsuya will always live on in my heart, even after the LN ends or we get no more adaptation after S2.
Sep 10, 2020 4:08 PM

Aug 2011
ForeverLonely said:
Godsuya will always live on in my heart, even after the LN ends or we get no more adaptation after S2.

This novel got sequel Magian Company (University)

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

37 by StarPebblit »»
5 hours ago

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - May 14

17 by MegamiRem »»
5 hours ago

» Winners of the 48th Kodansha Manga Awards

Snow - Yesterday

12 by Zedlin »»
7 hours ago

» Animation Studio Artland Seeks Debt Consolidation

arsonal - Jul 9, 2017

36 by Bhanu_LAW_196K1A »»
Today, 2:20 AM

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

42 by Azka_jp »»
Yesterday, 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.