Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Should they call SAO an isekai?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 1, 2020 2:57 PM
Jan 2019
Video game or not it doesn't matter!!!!!! When the hell did anyone say that if it's inside a video game it doesn't count as an Isekai! An Isekai is when you come from the normal world and go inside a different mystical one. The video game gets their consciousness and shifts into a video game. (Different world: Isekai) So yall need to get your facts straight because SAO is an Isekai!
May 1, 2020 2:59 PM

Jun 2019
SignsOfSuicide said:
Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role. I'm not too big a fan of using Isekai as a genre myself but a lot of people do it cause it is convenient.
should we ready consider isekai as a genre?
May 1, 2020 3:54 PM

May 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
You wanted to say trans-human speculations, surely. Although a tremendous amount of arguing could bring it to the "post" human dimension, in theory.

It deals with both and takes the transhumanism like for granted (and techno bubles it) but the goal (I think) is to tell what happens next, what lays beyond: the ghost part of the Ghost In The Shell.

PS
Naaah, you got me.
There is no weaselling out from this, I actually wanted to say trans-human.
alshuMay 1, 2020 4:30 PM
May 1, 2020 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
Marander said:
I also don't consider Sword Art Online an Isekai, although I understand why many people call it that. I think the main reasons are that people pay too much attention to the first arc and even less to others. In my interpretation, Sword Art Online was never a work about Sword Art Online, but about the impacts of a disastrous insertion of VR in different spheres of a society (in the order of the arcs: psycho-electronic; psychological and police; medical; military and human; etc), the game being just a background. I wrote about it in another post, so I give myself the right to not have to justify everything again, since it would be very long. In this sense, many people tend to generalize SAO, as if he were just Aincrad.

Another possible reason why people think so is the way SAO is the target of a big Hate. Yes, it may seem strange at first, but the fact that SAO is hated contributes, since people spread several VERY simplified opinions about the work. Most people don't refer to SAO, out there, as "the anime that establishes a universe of phenomenology about VR implementation", but rather as "anime where people get stuck in a game". This form of dissemination sounds a lot like the synopses of the current season Isekais, which, I must admit, many of them have an occasional MMORPG setting and RPG-based fantasy worlds, so it's not surprising that people associate one thing with another.

But, well, from my point of view, I don't consider an Isekai. First, because there are only arcs aimed at characters enclosed in a world (Aincrad and Alicization), and not the work as a whole. Second, because, in both cases, there is an exchange of people (Kayaba Akihiko, for example, was able to log out, as Alicization proves, and Alicization has a whole possible Logout system at Rath). Yes, they are worlds of MMORPG and fantasy and in both the protagonist gets stuck, but it is something completely ephemeral and temporary. With "worlds" I mean the VR simulations created by NerveGear, AmuSphere and STL, so keep in mind that the concept of "world" is also not literal in the case of SAO, but an amount of information that is processed in the brain of people. It is different, for example, from Re: Zero and other Isekais, in which it is, in fact, a different world to which the protagonist is transported. And third and most importantly, Reki Kawahara has already given an interview, in which he said about Sword Art Online not being an Isekai. So, those are the reasons why I disagree with this view.

My thoughts precisely, nice to see someone understanding the message the series was portraying. The series was about the development and advancement of virtual reality technology and how it has an effect on an individual. It heavily focused on how virtual reality can be used in a number of fascinating ways including exposure therapy for a individuals with psychological disorders such PTSD, how virtual reality can be used as medical advancement for sick patients through the medicuboid. It went a step further when it explored the concept of artificial intelligence in a virtual reality setting, raising some philosophical questions.

These aspects alone essentially made the series surpass every isekai, and led it to become one of the greatest science fiction story in any media at least in my eyes. There hasn't been an anime which explored the effects virtual reality can have on a indvidual or society nor have they included advanced technology as methods to immerse in another world.

While there is focus on the game aspect of the series, there is a great deal of focus on the psychological and philosophical aspects of virtual reality which is the ultimately the main theme of the series. I'm astonished at how people disregard this element when discussing the series when it plays a large part.

On topic sword art online is definitely not a isekai but rather a science fiction since it involves around futuristic technology as a way to immerse in a another world and the fact their physical bodies are in the real world and not the virtual world.

removed-userMay 1, 2020 6:20 PM
May 1, 2020 6:22 PM

Jul 2016
Good news because if SAO is isekai. Next season of Isekai Quartet, SAO is the next anime featured in.

May 1, 2020 7:55 PM

Nov 2019
DHD534 said:
SignsOfSuicide said:
Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role. I'm not too big a fan of using Isekai as a genre myself but a lot of people do it cause it is convenient.
should we ready consider isekai as a genre?

Like I said, I really don't use it a genre tag since its more-so a setting device than anything else. Its just trendy to do so since people automatically know what group anime you are talking about when Isekai is said for the most part. Its kind of similar to how "school" anime is a "thing". Not technically correct but its a thing. SAO to me is a Game/Fantasy/Adventure anime for example but lumping it in under the Isekai umbrella is just easier therefore the norm.
SignsOfSuicideMay 1, 2020 7:59 PM
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
May 1, 2020 8:39 PM

Oct 2014
It is a subgenre of isekai to be stuck in a game world. The world their minds are in is not the same world they're used to and it has the same fantasy elements that we associate with isekai. By the majority of definitions it counts as one.
May 1, 2020 9:00 PM

Mar 2019
Heldengeist said:
xMyst93 said:
Would matrix, truman show, bofuri all be isekais ?
In SAO unlike in the Matrix, the virtual world feels detached from the real world from the protagonists perspective. What happens in the real world is of no interest and the show largely ignores it, while in the Matrix a large part of the story plays outside and is very important. The Truma Show is fundamentally different, I don't really get why did you chose that as an example since there are better ones. As for Bofuri, I haven't seen or read it and I have no intention to.

I chose those examples to get an idea of how the other guy thinks of "isekai".

Wannabiteme said:
@Heldengeist @xMyst93

Bofuri is just your VR game (you can logout whenever you want).

Bofuri and SAO are exactly the same (im not talking about the plot but the system)
May 1, 2020 9:03 PM
Apr 2020
Isekai (Japanese: 異世界, transl. "different world") is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy light novels, manga, anime, and video games revolving around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or trapped in a parallel universe.
May 1, 2020 9:43 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
SAO is the world of VRgame. Same thing with Log Horizon, Accel World. This ain't isekai.
The game world is built by human hands...they still have physical body in the real world.

Unless they died and reincarnate or physically transport to another world. Then it is isekai.
May 2, 2020 1:36 AM
Apr 2016
alshu said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
You wanted to say trans-human speculations, surely. Although a tremendous amount of arguing could bring it to the "post" human dimension, in theory.

It deals with both and takes the transhumanism like for granted (and techno bubles it) but the goal (I think) is to tell what happens next, what lays beyond: the ghost part of the Ghost In The Shell.

PS
Naaah, you got me.

Ha-ha my first ever internet argument victory! Nice.
xkazutox said:
SAO is the world of VRgame. Same thing with Log Horizon, Accel World. This ain't isekai.
The game world is built by human hands...they still have physical body in the real world.

Unless they died and reincarnate or physically transport to another world. Then it is isekai.

While you are right about Sword Art Online, as far as I am concerned Log Horizon still has not confirmed whether they still exist outside that world or not.
notamalia said:
Isekai (Japanese: 異世界, transl. "different world") is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy light novels, manga, anime, and video games revolving around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or trapped in a parallel universe.

Great definition. Note the "parallel universe" part. In Sword Art Online, there is no such thing. As per definition,...
Re:formed
May 2, 2020 1:42 AM

Nov 2017
ShadowBladeX said:
Sword Art Online: Alicization is an isekai.

i could agree with this... because of time accelarete and living AI stuff
Now Loading.....
May 2, 2020 1:52 AM

Feb 2010
xMyst93 said:

Wannabiteme said:
@Heldengeist @xMyst93

Bofuri is just your VR game (you can logout whenever you want).

Bofuri and SAO are exactly the same (im not talking about the plot but the system)

Machines might be very similar but the ability go to & from "another world" (ability to log out and log in later) is what set SAO & Bofuri apart (of course part of the SAO series).
Or maybe you don't need "trapped" part in the Issekai?

bondtux said:
ShadowBladeX said:
Sword Art Online: Alicization is an isekai.

While those 2 things are nice but they don't define Issekai.
is what makes it Issekai.
WannabitemeMay 2, 2020 1:59 AM
May 2, 2020 2:39 AM

Feb 2019
The fact that SAO is considered an isekai is mainly justified as SAO is a show about Kirito and his gang going into virtual reality. Which, in fact is not our world. Hence it is given the category of isekai. But you can consider it more of a half-isekai or not an isekai at all. Up to you to decide.
May 2, 2020 3:49 AM

Oct 2013
Im just going to quote myself because people still in the thread be saying being trapped in the game like if that’s important
Deknijff said:
Then you have people saying well they trapped in a game so it has to be an isekai
Except being trapped or not is irrelevant. It has to be an actual real different world separate from the regular world of which earth exists in so no not in universe games, heaven or hell or pocket dimensions
I think of Zero no Tsukaima in which Saito isn’t trapped in the world he is in. He can easily travel between the 2 worlds with the correct circumstances or magic

It does not matter how many times you use the word LIKE a fantasy world when referring to the video game and that his brain is trapped by a machine
Looking like something isn’t actually being something I’m sorry people
The New Workd from Overlord looks like the game of Yggdrasil at times but it’s not the game itself
It’s not hard to understand the difference of being and looking like something
May 2, 2020 3:59 AM

Jun 2012
Ah, the classification of SAO as an isekai is so persistent in Japan because of its well documented influence on the webnovel community of shousetsuka ni narou.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dsetsuka_ni_Nar%C5%8D

I guess that's not a conversation for MAL, though.
May 2, 2020 4:39 AM
Apr 2016
Wannabiteme said:
xMyst93 said:

Machines might be very similar but the ability go to & from "another world" (ability to log out and log in later) is what set SAO & Bofuri apart (of course part of the SAO series).
Or maybe you don't need "trapped" part in the Issekai?

bondtux said:

While those 2 things are nice but they don't define Issekai.
is what makes it Issekai.

"Virtual" world has its roots in science-fiction, not fantasy. As such, there is no "another" world. The world Kirito is in is a reflection and a part of the only main world the series is set in. It is still not an "another world" narrative, especially considering everyone knows everything about what is going on.
May 2, 2020 5:29 AM

Mar 2020
It is because the characters are trapped inside an online world, not a real world.
May 2, 2020 6:28 AM

Feb 2010
@Daniel_Naumov
"Virtual" world has its roots in science-fiction, not fantasy. As such, there is no "another" world.

Sci-fi or fantasy - it doesn't matter. In many of those issekai we don't really know how "another world" has been created.
It is still not an "another world" narrative, especially considering everyone knows everything about what is going on.

You are wrong.
spoiler from 1st season

spoiler from 1st alizization arc https://myanimelist.net/anime/36474/Sword_Art_Online__Alicization

WannabitemeMay 2, 2020 12:59 PM
May 3, 2020 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
Deknijff said:
koichis_pen said:
So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.
Id like to just mention some of the Japanese consider Hestia a loli with huge tits just because she slightly short

That's... not a mistake. Loli =/= lolita.
The word loli comes from lolita but it has evolved.
It went from lolita complex => lolicon (attracted to petite body no matter the age)=> loli (target of lolicon feeling).
loli only refers to the size of the body.

So the one making a mistake here is you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 3, 2020 11:51 AM
Oct 2019
i mean its kinda an isekai, because they are in another world, its just digital
May 3, 2020 11:06 PM

Oct 2017
Isekai literally means "another world" if you search it up. In SAO, you get transported to another world digitally.
May 4, 2020 12:38 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
alshu said:

PS
Naaah, you got me.

xkazutox said:

While you are right about Sword Art Online, as far as I am concerned Log Horizon still has not confirmed whether they still exist outside that world or not.
notamalia said:

Great definition. Note the "parallel universe" part. In Sword Art Online, there is no such thing. As per definition,...

For Log Horizon, I thought they were trap a game world where there Players and NPCs. Especially with the death system that Players have. Is there more to it?
May 4, 2020 1:09 AM
Apr 2016
xkazutox said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

For Log Horizon, I thought they were trap a game world where there Players and NPCs. Especially with the death system that Players have. Is there more to it?

No idea, in the animated series there is not explanation for that yet, and I do not know at what point the original material is.
May 4, 2020 6:48 AM

Apr 2020
Because the idea is nearly identical to every other isekai. People needing to try and live in another world, in this case a VR game, one with technologically advanced mechanics. That only their minds are trapped and that they're actually still on earth doesn't change that it's basically an isekai imo. Maybe if it tried a bit harder to differentiate itself I would be more convinced.
Nov 25, 2020 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
SAO is 1000% not a isekai honestly i think its stupid to even think it is.

Their mind is trapped in their characters in a VR game, Their physical bodies are still on earth, it only counts as a isekai if they actually go into another world and get trapped/reincarnated ETC.

In SAO they aren't in another world they are trapped in a VR game, its simple as that but too many Normies these days like to call some anime different things than what they really are, its honestly a bit disappointing to come across Normies who are ignorant of the Way of the Anime/Otaku or simply wannabe anime fans, but to each their own, everyone can have their own opinions but doesnt really change the facts that SAO isn't a isekai.

and yes i'm a Elite NEET Hardcore Anime Otaku that spends 95% of the time i'm awake watching anime, for the majority of my life (which is over 29 years btw. I'm also a shut-in who despises society with a passion and hates interacting with people IRL.
Nov 25, 2020 2:27 AM

Nov 2018
isekai
=> other world

they start by getting trapped in a different world

SAO is litterally the defenition of an isekai
Nov 25, 2020 3:14 AM

Sep 2014
SAO is literally the story of a guy who cannot get out of his bed. That's not really the definition of isekai. Quite the opposite in fact. SAO is the least isekai anime ever.
Nov 25, 2020 3:02 PM

Feb 2019
Okay it's not an isekai but it did start an isekai trend kinda like evangelion in that regards oh shit did i just compare eva with sao
"Rating are for Casul"

"While masterpiece are for Pleb"

"But shit taste is enlightenment"

"Go watch School Days you Weebs"
Nov 25, 2020 3:07 PM
Jun 2020
Because it is, remember - another world another shitty SAO adaptation.
Nov 25, 2020 3:12 PM

Oct 2018
Well, it's got all the isekai tropes, I do consider SAO an isekai.

"pipipi they're not physically on another world".

I don't care. SAO is an isekai, see you.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Nov 25, 2020 3:17 PM

Jul 2020
The characters are trapped in a different fantasy world. Why else?
Nov 25, 2020 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
Zefyris said:
Deknijff said:
Id like to just mention some of the Japanese consider Hestia a loli with huge tits just because she slightly short

It went from lolita complex => lolicon (attracted to petite body no matter the age)=> loli (target of lolicon feeling).

So the one making a mistake here is you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if 'loli' only refers to the body size....I'm actually confused as to why they'd call Hestia a "loli" as well; she doesn't have the body of Shana or Shiro or Illya who are all flat-chested and very short?

Hestia looks like an average teenager with big boobs?

Nov 25, 2020 3:38 PM

Aug 2017
They are trapped in another world, might be a video game but still it fits the isekai theme.
Nov 25, 2020 3:55 PM

Oct 2013
Like come on fellow MAL users

There is ignorance on a topic but this is mental stupidity. need to quote myself it would seem
Deknijff said:
Because people are either too lazy to actually think what isekai means, they just say it because they want to group in SAO because it supposedly started the trend itself

Then you have people saying well they trapped in a game so it has to be an isekai
Except being trapped or not is irrelevant. It has to be an actual real different world separate from the regular world of which earth exists in so no not in universe games, heaven or hell or pocket dimensions
Deknijff said:
The point of the drug comparison is to show that altering the perception of the brain like the VR Gear in SAO is doing in which characters aren't seeing reality and being shown fake experience and being brain stimulated into thinking its real isn't being in an actual real parallel universe

If you want parallel universe you'd need something like Slayers where there are 4 different universe all created by one Supreme being in which they are indeed separate plains of existence

Not this fake reality of which your brain is being forced to experience
Nov 25, 2020 4:32 PM

Jan 2019
I agree, SAO is NOT an isekai, it just has many traits of one. I’m pretty sure it gave rise to the isekai phenomenon, but again I don’t consider it one myself. SAO is my favorite anime, but if someone were to ask me what my favorite isekai is, I’d tell them Slime. Just because it may have inspired something, doesn’t mean it fits all the correct criteria.

That said, the aincrad arc of the show is isekai. If the series had ended there I would call it an isekai but since it continues on after that arc, where the characters have free control over entering and leaving the respective gaming worlds, then I’d call it a sci-fi/fantasy.

I mean, if SAO is an isekai, then so would this years Bofuri, right? Again, in my opinion, it’s not.

Then again, I don’t consider Spirited Away an isekai and many people agree that’s where the isekai fascination might’ve began. But, even though Chihiro can’t leave the spirit realm, she’s still on earth. “Isekai” means “another world”, not “different realm”. I feel like spiritual environments and beings belong in the “supernatural” category, not with the ever increasing isekai genre.

That’s my take anyway. :)
Nov 25, 2020 4:49 PM

Aug 2019
Because while it is technically not an Isekai, in principle, it works just like one.
Nov 25, 2020 7:00 PM

Nov 2008
Hrybami said:
SAO is literally the story of a guy who cannot get out of his bed. That's not really the definition of isekai. Quite the opposite in fact. SAO is the least isekai anime ever.

This made me laugh because it's true. xD

He really did spend the whole time in a bed.

Nov 25, 2020 9:46 PM
May 2016
I dunno either probably cause of when it came out, that being when other game influenced isekai were also being aired and the overlap between the two made people think it was one. Also all the anitube figure heads think it's one as well so people just parrot.

With that said there is an established genre that it fits right into, and that's VRMMO-kei (Kei just means type) which is used widely in webnovel writing platforms.

Nov 25, 2020 9:50 PM
Mar 2020
While technically it's not an isekai, its still a story about being trapped in another world.
The only acceptable ship is Tim and Moby.
Nov 25, 2020 10:05 PM

Jul 2020
It's cuz it is another world which is a close translation of isekai.

バンの一味
Nov 25, 2020 10:56 PM
Dec 2017
a genere is collection of tropes that apeal to a certain demographic that set expections from the viewr on a certain piece of art. the isekai genere for example is just swords and sourcery with less stakes, younger characters and a protagonist that comes from our world, thus allowing him to hear as much exposition as possible and allow the audience to project themself into him. other tropes include the harem, the protagonist being op, the villains being obviously evil and so on.

a show like drifters, while bieng set in another world features little of the tropes which isekai fans would want while a show like sao has the world mechanics of a cyberpunk story, but no tropes assoiated with that genre. it does feature isekai tropes, which makes it an isekai
Nov 25, 2020 11:12 PM

Jul 2020
They are still transported to another world so technically it's an isekai.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 26, 2020 2:27 AM
Jan 2020
Why does this come up so often though, think about something more important haha

Even if it’s real world technology that is enabling their transportation to an artificial reality, it still is a completely distinct domain. By that I mean, those trapped in the game no longer have access to their previous environment. I hope you aren’t tripping on this technicality: who cares if their real body is in the real world. The story takes place somewhere completely different doesn’t it. At the very least, functionally, it is isekai.

And also, isekai doesn’t have to mean trapped in another world. It can mean as much that, as the connection between two worlds. The core idea within SAO Is this observation that real worlds and virtual worlds are becoming increasingly undistinguishable. So, this just makes its isekai genotyping more prominent than it needs to be.
Nov 26, 2020 3:50 AM

Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
Zefyris said:

So the one making a mistake here is you. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

But if 'loli' only refers to the body size....I'm actually confused as to why they'd call Hestia a "loli" as well; she doesn't have the body of Shana or Shiro or Illya who are all flat-chested and very short?

Hestia looks like an average teenager with big boobs?

She's a loli with big breasts, or an oppai loli as they call them. Hestia is very short.Way shorter than Shana actually,as IIRC Shana's cannon height is nowhere near as short as many characters in anime.
Nov 26, 2020 3:54 AM

May 2014
Because they heard someone say it is an isekai, and instead of checking for themselves if it is one they just parrot it.
Nov 26, 2020 6:12 PM

Aug 2017
It's more sci-fi fantasy than isekai. Maybe you could argue that Alicization is isekai but that's not true. SAO is the least isekai anime ever.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 26, 2020 6:16 PM

Aug 2020
Isekai is typically categorized by the theme of a character or main protagonist being

"transported to another world typically one in which he's trapped"

so it fits with SAO since the main character is transported (in a sense i know its VR but still)
to a different world that being the online game of sword art online
Nov 27, 2020 12:33 AM

May 2016
don't know what's the perfect description of isekai is and nor do i care but it's pretty isekai-ish to me
Nov 27, 2020 9:02 AM

Nov 2008
Zefyris said:
Shana's cannon height is nowhere near as short as many characters in anime.

凛々しいまたは可愛らしい顔立ちと称される東洋系の少女。見た目の年齢は11

Are you sure you have the right Shana? She's described with "the appearance of an eleven-year-old girl". In that case, Hestia would have to look like an EIGHT-year-old...and....uh...she clearly doesn't.
ChiibiNov 27, 2020 9:06 AM

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Apr 27

39 by Hango-Man »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.