Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Should they call SAO an isekai?
May 1, 2020 12:33 AM

Mar 2019
I don't understand how one can call SAO an isekai, it's just a video game. The characters just wears the VR helmet and boot their console just like u do with a PlayStation or an Xbox. Almost every isekai topic in the forum has SAO mentioned at-least once. It's not just here, in other anime communities also SAO comes up in every isekai discussion.
So what makes SAO an isekai ?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2020 12:37 AM

Apr 2020
I mean, the characters are still trapped in a fantasy world. Just a digital one is all.
May 1, 2020 12:38 AM

Nov 2019
Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role. I'm not too big a fan of using Isekai as a genre myself but a lot of people do it cause it is convenient.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
May 1, 2020 12:39 AM

Jan 2009
The Matrix is an isekai today i learned
May 1, 2020 12:41 AM

Mar 2015
Well they do spend most of the time in a different world aka isekai.
May 1, 2020 12:42 AM

Apr 2020
deg said:

This is cursed, forbidden knowledge.
May 1, 2020 12:43 AM

Apr 2019
Sword Art Online: Alicization is an isekai.
May 1, 2020 12:44 AM

Oct 2010
Because it is. The same reason everyone is calling Shoujo Ramune loli hentai.
May 1, 2020 12:54 AM

Dec 2018
I don't see how people can deny that SAO is an isekai. Their mind is transported to a different plane of reality. They still die of they die in that world. It is the exact same as an isekai world, except that their bodies are not transported to that reality.
May 1, 2020 1:10 AM

Oct 2013
Because people are either too lazy to actually think what isekai means, they just say it because they want to group in SAO because it supposedly started the trend itself

Then you have people saying well they trapped in a game so it has to be an isekai
Except being trapped or not is irrelevant. It has to be an actual real different world separate from the regular world of which earth exists in so no not in universe games, heaven or hell or pocket dimensions
May 1, 2020 1:13 AM

Jul 2017
deg said:

This deserves a ban. Where is DeadlyRaven when you need her?

May 1, 2020 1:15 AM

Oct 2013
From what I've seen a lot of people like to consider it an isekai because it gives them another reason to hate that subgenre on top of hating SAO itself.
May 1, 2020 2:01 AM

May 2018
"Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ?"

Because everyone is baka?
It's practically cyberpunk harem wish fulfilment.

koichis_pen said:
transported to a different plane of reality

It's not a different plane - everything that happens to those guys is simulated by technology from from their plane of reality.
Kirito even uses some advantages from the fact that they are in an artificial word/words.
alshuMay 1, 2020 2:12 AM
May 1, 2020 2:17 AM

Dec 2018
alshu said:
"Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ?"

Because everyone is baka?
It's practically cyberpunk harem wish fulfilment.

koichis_pen said:
transported to a different plane of reality

By this definition going on vacation to Okinawa is isekai.
From the wikipedia page for isekai: "The concept has origins in ancient Japanese literature, particularly the story of Urashima Tarō, a widely known folk tale in Japan that isekai writers grew up with. It is about the fisherman Urashima Tarō, who saves a turtle and is brought to a wondrous undersea kingdom, but the story has a twist: after spending what he believed to be four to five days there, he returns to his home village only to find himself 300 years in the future." If this is considered isekai, then I'm pretty damn sure SAO is an isekai. Also from what I know many Japanese fans consider SAO to be an isekai. So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.
May 1, 2020 2:28 AM

May 2018
I mean... the definition for isekai is being trapped or transported into another world, even if its "video-game" world or a world you already knew existed. Thus, SAO is an isekai. To top it off, SAO is responsible for creating the trend of isekai in the first place, without SAO, we would be seeing this genre at all today. Whether or not thats a good thing is up to you.

sharkboy and lavagirl is an isekai
May 1, 2020 2:29 AM

May 2018
Fixed my post

koichis_pen said:
AlShu wrote"If this is considered isekai, then I'm pretty damn sure SAO is an isekai"

But Taro didn't login into some VR system...this is pretty disconnected conclusion.

koichis_pen said:
Also from what I know many Japanese fans consider SAO to be an isekai. So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.

See "Everyone is baka"...this counts twice for otakus.

PS
I am baka too of course...arguing with SAO fans.
May 1, 2020 2:35 AM

Aug 2018
I wouldn't consider the VRMMOs that compose the series as a whole to be isekais, but I would kinda sorta consider Aincrad in the first season of SAO to be an isekai since the players were trapped in a virtual reality for two or so years. They had to live there, and get accustomed to new lives without knowing if they were going to ever make it back out at some point. Is it really a stretch to see SAO as an isekai, then?

Also, speaking of virtual shenanigans, kinda crazy to think about, but, yes, Digimon is technically one of the very first isekai.
KusogakiRenfirMay 1, 2020 2:39 AM
May 1, 2020 2:42 AM

Sep 2015
Even if it's technically not an isekai, it functionally is so they are not wrong to consider it as one.
May 1, 2020 2:43 AM

Dec 2018
alshu said:
Fixed my post

koichis_pen said:
AlShu wrote"If this is considered isekai, then I'm pretty damn sure SAO is an isekai"

But Taro didn't login into some VR system...this is pretty disconnected conclusion.

koichis_pen said:
Also from what I know many Japanese fans consider SAO to be an isekai. So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.

See "Everyone is baka"...this counts twice for otakus.

PS
I am baka too of course...arguing with SAO fans.
Clearly you're not understanding where I am coming from. I'm just going to give up on arguing with you because this is MAL, where nobody tries to actually understand the rationale behind peoples statements.
May 1, 2020 2:44 AM

Mar 2019
The Wikipedia page for isekai surprised me honestly as SAO is even there as an example, i guess my concept of isekai was a bit different from the norm.

Regarding some replies here,
In SAO, the thing about people being trapped in a fantasy world; this is more like a hostage situation, the people are just made to play the game at gun point( the gun being the electrocution mechanism).

koichis_pen said:
I don't see how people can deny that SAO is an isekai. Their mind is transported to a different plane of reality. They still die of they die in that world. It is the exact same as an isekai world, except that their bodies are not transported to that reality.

Their "mind" is not transported anywhere. They are just playing a VR game. The "death" in game making the real body die is a function of the gaming system(or whatever it was called); when the character dies in game, the console electrocutes the real brain iirc (It is quite possible to do the same with a PS4 and its VR headset). The whole thing is same as in BOFURI.

Heldengeist said:
Even if it's technically not an isekai, it functionally is so they are not wrong to consider it as one.
i can agree to that somewhat.

Would matrix, truman show, bofuri all be isekais ?
May 1, 2020 2:45 AM

Oct 2013
koichis_pen said:
So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.
Id like to just mention some of the Japanese consider Hestia a loli with huge tits just because she slightly short

its apparent even the Japanese makes mistakes
Seijatachiiii said:
I mean... the definition for isekai is being trapped or transported into another world, even if its "video-game" world or a world you already knew existed. Thus, SAO is an isekai.
That "video-game" world might of been relevant if we are talking about something like Overlord in which the fantasy world mirrors things from the real game but Yggdrasil the game isn't where Ainz is physically or mentally

Its an actual real new world he is in not a simulation thats controlled by A.I or programs and software
May 1, 2020 2:48 AM

May 2013
Because it is an isekai ? The fact that it's a video game or not doesn't really matter, they're transfered to another world, so it's an isekai

May 1, 2020 2:48 AM

Dec 2018
xMyst93 said:
I haven't seen Bofuri, but yes, The Truman Show and The Matrix would fall into my idea of isekai.
May 1, 2020 2:49 AM

Jul 2013
Tbh. Unless the physical body enters the world he transfered to then it's not a isekai.

May 1, 2020 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
SAO is not Isekai in its true form because it only feel partly relating to the description, that goes for Alicization arc.

Isekai is also suppose to be have things happening for real. So a world that holds magics or game screens can be Isekai but SAO is not that. And by definition story theme of Isekai is about summoning a hero to other world (not simulated) then SAO itself doesn't come close to that, what happening in Alicization arc is only a mere setup for the real world, not Isekai theme.
removed-userMay 1, 2020 3:00 AM
May 1, 2020 3:05 AM

Jul 2012
Because "trapped in another world" as a genre doesn't define that a world has to meet a certain criteria to have the genre apply to it.
An alternate video game world in which people are quite literally trapped can easily be argued as meeting all of the criteria. If you try to argue the methodology for getting trapped then that opens up a lot of other discussions, for example if a person's conscious being trapped in another world doesn't count then why does reincarnation count? It's essentially the same thing but the methodology is different.
Which would mean you'd have to argue it from an angle of the world argument but even that opens up a lot of debatable examples. What about Overlord, Log Horizon or Death March? In all those cases the characters are trapped in a world that they heavily associate with a game they've been apart of. You could debate that the differences they experienced make them a distinctly different world, but they could essentially still be a digital world explaining things like in game menus.
May 1, 2020 3:08 AM

Mar 2019
koichis_pen said:
xMyst93 said:
I haven't seen Bofuri, but yes, The Truman Show and The Matrix would fall into my idea of isekai.
If the general concept is like that, i can see why many consider SAO to be isekai.
May 1, 2020 3:19 AM

May 2018
koichis_pen said:
Clearly you're not understanding where I am coming from.

You are calling isekai something that isn't...on the basis that "other world" can be interpreted in many ways.
Is travelling to the Moon sci-fi title also an iskekai?
Descending to the Mariana Trench with a submarine?
May 1, 2020 3:39 AM

Dec 2018
alshu said:
koichis_pen said:
Clearly you're not understanding where I am coming from.

You are calling isekai something that isn't...on the basis that "other world" can be interpreted in many ways.
Is travelling to the Moon sci-fi title also an iskekai?
Descending to the Mariana Trench with a submarine?
If you're trying to convince me that SAO is not an isekai, the I suggest that you stop. I will not change my mind about it. I also understand the viewpoint of those who don't believe it is an isekai, so there's no point in you explaining it. The only reason you should continue this argument is if you're trying to understand my viewpoint, but I highly doubt that.
May 1, 2020 3:42 AM

Jul 2019
Isekai means another world. Entering a video game world is kinda like entering another world so yea it's an isekai
May 1, 2020 3:50 AM

Apr 2019
異世界 (isekai)

異 - uncommon, different, queerness, strangeness, wonderful, curious, unusual
世 - generation, world, society, public
界 - world, boundary

SAO = unusual society world - check.

May 1, 2020 3:51 AM

Dec 2015
Trishtim said:
I bet they are the same people who also can call Dr.Stone an Isekai. It's ridiculous.

Wait, what ?

I hope you are not serious.

haha.

May 1, 2020 3:54 AM

May 2018
koichis_pen said:
If you're trying to convince me that SAO is not an isekai

No I simply disagree.
Just commented on your "different plane of reality".
Like that IS iskai but also VR is hardly "different plane'' for me.

inim said:
異世界 (isekai)

界 - world, boundary

Thus going to Akihabara is iskeai?
May 1, 2020 4:01 AM

Apr 2019
alshu said:
inim said:
異世界 (isekai)

界 - world, boundary

Thus going to Akihabara is iskeai?
Yes! English has similar idoms in "out of this world" and "not from this world" when describing a person, achievement, or idea which is strage but fascinating. I don't speak Japanese, but why not assume that the bar for using that word/idion is similarly low?

May 1, 2020 4:08 AM
Dec 2013
Wow...just...wow. arguing semantics. Jeez. It is an...it just is.
May 1, 2020 4:26 AM

Jan 2020
It inspires Isekai cliches like Fantasy world and Harem. But I didn't classified it as one of them
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 1, 2020 4:28 AM

Oct 2013
guych said:
Isekai means another world. Entering a video game world is kinda like entering another world so yea it's an isekai
Is touching a rubber boob on a doll the same as touching the boob of a women because its like a boob?'
May 1, 2020 4:31 AM

Jul 2019
Deknijff said:
guych said:
Is touching a rubber boob on a doll the same as touching the boob of a women because its like a boob?'

you're comparing female breasts to an anime genre. You're basically saying "since we kill animals and eat them, then we can kill humans and eat them as well because humans are also animals"
May 1, 2020 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
guych said:
Deknijff said:
you're comparing female breasts to an anime genre. You're basically saying "since we kill animals and eat them, then we can kill humans and eat them as well because humans are also animals"
Technically can eat humans though yes. Its not healthy the last time I checked but you can do it because its all meat at the end of the day

but ok ok you wanted a genre or setting or concept

Is a science superpower based off and that works theoretically in a scientific way in which you can't comprehend so its like magic from a viewer perspective is indeed actually magic in the context of the discussion?
May 1, 2020 4:40 AM

Jul 2019
guych said:
Deknijff said:

My bad, as I'm reading my comment back, it doesn't make sense. But you're comparing female breasts to an anime genre." Isekai works revolve around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or trapped in a parallel universe, usually a fantasy world." SAO is a fantasy and they are trapped inside the game, a parallel universe. They are literally stuck in another world and cant get out, just like every other isekai anime. I don't see why it's not an isekai. You dont have to die and be transported to another world to make that anime an isekai. You're just forcing your own definition of isekai onto your perspective.
May 1, 2020 4:43 AM

Jul 2019
Deknijff said:
guych said:
Technically can eat humans though yes. Its not healthy the last time I checked but you can do it because its all meat at the end of the day

Is a science superpower based off and that works theoretically in a scientific way in which you can't comprehend so its like magic from a viewer perspective is indeed actually magic in the context of the discussion?

" Its not healthy the last time I checked but you can do it because its all meat at the end of the day." So since isekai means transporting to another world, SAO is an isekai anime because, at the end of the day, they are still being transported to another world
May 1, 2020 4:47 AM

Oct 2013
guych said:
Deknijff said:

" Its not healthy the last time I checked but you can do it because its all meat at the end of the day." So since isekai means transporting to another world, SAO is an isekai anime because, at the end of the day, they are still being transported to another world
Is getting your brain high off drugs so you don't experience reality correctly is also being Isekaied ?
May 1, 2020 4:53 AM

Jul 2019
Deknijff said:
guych said:
Is getting your brain high off drugs so you don't experience reality correctly is also being Isekaied ?

You keep comparing irrelevant things to isekai. What do drugs and getting high have to do with any of this? "Since you kill bugs, that means you're a murderer." That is the logic you are using because you have no actual argument so you just compare two things that have nothing to do with what we are talking about
May 1, 2020 5:03 AM
Apr 2016
Lack of proper education on the topic, lack of critical thinking and overall knowledge. Calling it anything other than "sci-fi" is factually wrong. Whether the masses can sleep soundly well knowing, for a fact, that they are wrong, is up to them.
guych said:

Isekai works revolve around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or trapped in a parallel universe, usually a fantasy world." SAO is a fantasy and they are trapped inside the game, a parallel universe. They are literally stuck in another world and cant get out, just like every other isekai anime. I don't see why it's not an isekai. You dont have to die and be transported to another world to make that anime an isekai. You're just forcing your own definition of isekai onto your perspective.

Wrong. You are the one living under a delusion which stems from lack of proper understanding of the terminology. "Another world" means another world. Sword Art Online does not have other worlds. It only has one - the one we know as Earth human society. Inside it, however, there are numerous virtual realities, which exist as a part of the world Sword Art Online is situated in. Arguing otherwise is arguing against the substance, the fact, the definition itself. Arguing against the language and the common sense. Choose your side.
MindOfOsaka said:
Wow...just...wow. arguing semantics. Jeez. It is an...it just is.

This is less about semantics and more about correcting the delusions and mistakes of non-native English speakers who fail to understand the simple distinction between a science-fiction fictional story, and "another world" fictional story. 'Tis is in their best interests to heed wiser words.
Catalano said:
Because it is.

It is not, refer to the explanation in the beginning of this commentary.
koichis_pen said:
I don't see how people can deny that SAO is an isekai.

It is not, refer to the explanation in the beginning of this commentary.
Heldengeist said:

They are, refer to the explanation in the beginning of this commentary.
koichis_pen said:

If you're trying to convince me that SAO is not an isekai, the I suggest that you stop. I will not change my mind about it.

You are willingly confining yourself to a delusion against reality of the world. refer to the explanation in the beginning of this commentary. This is not a healthy approach to the concept of knowledge and might take mental toll on you if you keep doing this.
GamerDLM said:
What about Overlord, Log Horizon or Death March? In all those cases the characters are trapped in a world that they heavily associate with a game they've been apart of. You could debate that the differences they experienced make them a distinctly different world, but they could essentially still be a digital world explaining things like in game menus.

As far as I am concerned, neither Overlord nor Log Horizon are completed, as of yet. It is impossible, then, to argue that there is not going to be an explanation which reveals them to be either a full-fledged fantasy, or an actual science-fiction, or something entirely else.
With Sword Art Online it is different, however. We already know for a fact that their world is just a normal world, devoid of magic. All the adventures we follow are a result of reasonably advanced technology, which is hardly even science-fiction, but still is one. There is nothing that puts the series on the same scale as Overlord, Log Horizon and what other crap is oh right Tate no Yuusha Nariagari and Re:zero kara meaningless title. For now. Their genres might be updated by the time the story is finished.
Daniel_NaumovMay 1, 2020 5:36 AM
Re:formed
May 1, 2020 5:04 AM

Dec 2018
It is because the setting is the characters being transported into a different world whilst the main story resolves in the “new” world.
MonochrosanityMay 1, 2020 5:09 AM
May 1, 2020 5:06 AM

Oct 2013
guych said:
Deknijff said:
You keep comparing irrelevant things to isekai. What do drugs and getting high have to do with any of this? "Since you kill bugs, that means you're a murderer." That is the logic you are using because you have no actual argument so you just compare two things that have nothing to do with what we are talking about
I mean I don't feel you have any argument either because you didn't answer my science superpower question about if its magic or not because its like magic

The point of the drug comparison is to show that altering the perception of the brain like the VR Gear in SAO is doing in which characters aren't seeing reality and being shown fake experience and being brain stimulated into thinking its real isn't being in an actual real parallel universe

If you want parallel universe you'd need something like Slayers where there are 4 different universe all created by one Supreme being in which they are indeed separate plains of existence

Not this fake reality of which your brain is being forced to experience
May 1, 2020 5:07 AM

Apr 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Calling it anything other than "sci-fi" is factually wrong.
The fun fact here is that "isekai" was used for sci-fi worlds and "other dimensions" long before it was used in a narrower sense to describe an anime sub-genre of fantasy.
inimMay 1, 2020 6:04 AM

May 1, 2020 5:12 AM

Apr 2011
While they aren't necessarily transported to another world, the concept of the first arc is essentially the same. Hell, we could even call Log Horizon an isekai, despite it being a game world as well.

Deknijff said:
koichis_pen said:
So it's pretty presumptuous to think you know more about a Japanese concept than Japanese people.
Id like to just mention some of the Japanese consider Hestia a loli with huge tits just because she slightly short

its apparent even the Japanese makes mistakes
Seijatachiiii said:
I mean... the definition for isekai is being trapped or transported into another world, even if its "video-game" world or a world you already knew existed. Thus, SAO is an isekai.
That "video-game" world might of been relevant if we are talking about something like Overlord in which the fantasy world mirrors things from the real game but Yggdrasil the game isn't where Ainz is physically or mentally

Its an actual real new world he is in not a simulation thats controlled by A.I or programs and software

Have you not heard of the concept called "Oppai Loli"?

deg said:

Matrix, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Narnia. The west has some really iconic isekai.
May 1, 2020 5:14 AM

Jan 2009
yhunata said:

deg said:

Matrix, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Narnia. The west has some really iconic isekai.

those are classics too nice one and i bet some kids today thought anime invented isekai then lol
May 1, 2020 5:14 AM

Aug 2018
inim said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
Calling it anything other than "sci-fi" is factually wrong.
The fun fact here is that "isekai" was used for sci-fi worlds and "other dimensions" long before it was used in a narrower sense to describe an anime sub-genre of fantasy.

I think nowadays the term is most commonly associated with a certain set of tropes. Neet/gamer MC, harem elements, sword and sorcery fantasy realm. Goblin Slayer feels like an isekai even though it's not.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Apr 27

39 by Hango-Man »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.