Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 25, 2020 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The realism of this show is really appealing especially with the art class. Some characters starts to realize that to make an impression, they need to improve themselves.

Looks like another episode of exploring the lives of Haru, Rikuo, and others. There are still windows of moments between the two that I think will continue throughout the rest of the series. Shinako still also have a lot of feelings going on in her own side. Art wise, I find the scenes with the Sakura blossoms to be a really fitting way to illustrate the episode.
Apr 25, 2020 11:12 AM

Feb 2019
Yesterday wo utatte continues to be my favourite show of the season and the one I look forward to the most. With relatable and likeable characters, a realistic premise, love triangle and an awesome aesthetic, I can’t see it changing.

I feel like Rou may not even like Shinako as much as he thinks he does. I think part of it is wanting to be like his brother subconsciously

This episode gave him some much needed context and laid down some important plot points. There’s a lot of unresolved feelings on both sides here and we got to see them take little steps to fix them.

Their dad’s taking the wrong approach to things. You don’t have to forget. You just learn to live without your loved one. You always carry them with you whether it’s through your faith or in your heart and the memories you shared.

Whew episode flew by as always. Not much Haru :/. But some really emotional moments here and we got to see Shinako and Rou take their first steps towards moving on and a new life.

The scene at the end there with the sakura was particularly beautiful given that Sakura blooming represents the changing of seasons and new life. In japan the sakura falling off the tree is of course a sign of death but is viewed as equally beautiful. Nice imagery. Sorry for rambling, I love this show.
Marinate1016Apr 25, 2020 11:38 AM
Apr 25, 2020 11:40 AM

Feb 2020
There's no way that this is just me but I really didn't like this episode it was actually painful to watch. Giving the entire episode to the character they made to be unlikeable and trying to show his sad/emotional flashbacks/back story that I cant empathize with because I hate seeing him on the screen making it really hard to pay attention
this is the show I look forward to the most during the week and disappointed, really hope it doesn't stay this way but Id understand if it did
Edit:
I don’t feel this way anymore
THERES SOME ONA SHORTS FOR THIS SHOW YOU SHOULD WATCH
OneofEvilApr 26, 2020 7:50 PM

Apr 25, 2020 11:47 AM
Jul 2019
I don't get it, why would Shinako still come in to visit Rou when she isn't in love with him but with his decease bother????

Apr 25, 2020 11:51 AM

Feb 2011
The only anime i really anxiously look forward to every week, and this week's episode did not disappoint in the slightest. Though understandable I do find Shinako's obsession over Yuu a really annoying character trait.
Apr 25, 2020 11:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Not out on Ani-One yet... ;-;

Leaving that aside, another fantastic episode!

Shinako's fond and obsession of the late childhood friend is actually painful to watch now, almost beyond saving by the looks of it. Damn, that backstory behind the eraser and then those sakura petals to signify the loss, this show really knows to how pull on your heartstrings I see.

An episode more so focused on Ryou though. I get the feeling that he's chained by his past too and isn't as infatuated to Shinako-sensei as he thinks but it'll be interesting to see how it'll go from here onwards.

Short little scene featuring Uozumi and Haru-chan this episode again. As much as I'm loving the focus across the different characters, I hope to see the next few episodes surrounding the main trio.
_MushiRock11_Apr 25, 2020 12:50 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 25, 2020 12:03 PM

Mar 2010
Not enough haru. Loving a dead person is understandable and wanting to forget is kinda lame, but rather you must acknowledge your feelings and keep moving forward.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 25, 2020 12:15 PM

Aug 2013
So we learn a lot about some of the characters like Rou and Shinako.

Yeah, not enough Haru in this episode.

Apr 25, 2020 12:38 PM

Aug 2018
Haru seems to have moved on from her "mysterious girl" phase after the end of last episode and isn't wearing all black anymore.

Honestly Rou is the one of the four mains I relate to the least. He just seems petulant and his internal conflict clichéd. But this episode did a good job of fleshing him out and making him realize he could separate his artistic ambition from his feelings for Shinako.

The animation remains strong in the key moments, but it took a step backward in other places.

8/10 this week.
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 25, 2020 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
Probably my least favorite episode among the bunch so far, but at least fleshed out a few characters like Shinako and Rou well enough for me to say it was a solid episode.

The animation continues to look good, and the subtle soundtracks work well. The backstory I'll admit wasn't great even in the manga so it would also reflect like that here, but still, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the episode by too much. Solid stuff. 3.5/5 episode.
Apr 25, 2020 1:00 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was just like a depression tsunami. The entire thing is just sad, not in the sense that the anime is pathetic, but in the sense that the entire anime can give you depression.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 25, 2020 1:01 PM

Apr 2012
honestly I really hope that Kou and Haru will somehow end up together, because I can't stand the other two
Apr 25, 2020 1:02 PM

Aug 2017
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
I don't get it, why would Shinako still come in to visit Rou when she isn't in love with him but with his decease bother????

Rou and Yuu are brothers. The only thing that Rou probably has going for him that appeals to Shinako is that he looks and sounds like his brother.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 25, 2020 1:37 PM

Mar 2019
We all have already lost someone important and we need to move on...remember the good times with the person. He/She will always stay in our hearts.
I think Shinako realized that Yuu is only watching them from heaven anymore. She needs to move on...

Still curious how the relationship between Haru and Rou will turn out.
Apr 25, 2020 1:46 PM

Oct 2017
I get that Rou and Shinako need to be developed, but like, they just can't compare to Rikuo and Haru in my mind. I wanna see more of them!!

Edit: had to mention that the track that was playing during Shinako's flashback with the eraser was so beautiful
Apr 25, 2020 1:50 PM

May 2019
Finally we've got some focus on Rou this episode. He is best boy material. Once he sorts out his feelings towards her brother and Shinako, he'll find out that Haru is the true best girl and that he needs to date her.

They looked pretty cute together.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 25, 2020 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
So not a whole lot of Haru in this episode, but when she did show up on screen it was great as usual! Rikuo has even less screentime this episode!

Was nice to see the focus on Shinako and Rou for this episode. Don't like Rou a whole lot so far but this has shown quite a bit of development for this episode.

Why are they making the saddest scenes so pretty! When the first little blossom petal dropped onto the notebook with the eraser, I knew it was gonna be sad but yet it was so eye pleasing to look at!!
Apr 25, 2020 1:52 PM
Apr 25, 2020 1:58 PM

Mar 2008
It's common among those who read the manga to "blame" Shinako.
There's things she does that are hard to excuse. Makes me remember Natsuyuki Rendezvous, that one with the ghost of the husband prowling around the widow. Shinako knows that it's a problem, but even while doing an effort to move on with her feelings she still fools herself. That scene in the kitchen with Rou, with the drop of water falling in bucket is a visual example of this. Shinako is looking at a reflection, an illusion, and what Rou says disturbs that illusion. But only that, just ripples on the surface of the water, the water with the reflection is still there.
Must be infuriating for Rou as is for any sibling to be so insistently compared and have your own existence dependent of your brother. It's maddening and this is Shinako's fault, but about her not being able to forget Yuu... it's really her fault? It's even something that can be "blamed"? This episode was supposed to be about Rou, but what it showed about Shinako almost made me cry.

And man...
Just the existence of this anime is enough to make you suspect that there's some fanboy/fangirl of the manga or the author inside that studio. But seeing how much care they're putting into this must means that it's not just one, it's most of the studio.
This anime is a miracle.
Oh, and don't forget, watch "Wave, Listen to Me!". It's perfect to go along with Yesterday, but despite airing first reserve Wave to watch after Yesterday.

Apr 25, 2020 2:05 PM

Mar 2008
I don't get people how watches this just for the parts they like, the characters they like, the stories they empathize, and dislike and don't want to see anything else.
Can't you people really face the anime fully?

Marinate1016 said:

I feel like Rou may not even like Shinako as much as he thinks he does. I think part of it is wanting to be like his brother subconsciously

Certainly, there's that.
It's all messed-up.

Marinate1016 said:

Their dad’s taking the wrong approach to things. You don’t have to forget. You just learn to live without your loved one. You always carry them with you whether it’s through your faith or in your heart and the memories you shared.

But he also said this.
In this case "forget" means not thinking about him all the time. If you don't forget you can't start to remember.
Apr 25, 2020 2:34 PM

Jan 2018
This episode took it’s time with Shibako mourning moment back in Rou and his brother old house. This made me appreciate Shibako character more than when reading the manga. It was beautifully animated along with a smooth soundtrack. Like some of you said Shibako relation with Rou is a little messed up, the longer the time after his brother death the messed up relation becomes for both of them.
Apr 25, 2020 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
Nice to have an episode about Rou but I'm still not a fan of him. I felt bad for him when Shinako kept comparing him to his brother tho.

On the other hand Haru barely appears in the episode but it's enough to make your day xD. I need more of her and Rikuo.

Being Shinako is suffering, that girl is so stuck in the past that it's painful. It was good to see the eraser scene from one of the extra scenes.
Apr 25, 2020 3:06 PM

May 2019
Marinate1016 said:
Yesterday wo utatte continues to be my favourite show of the season and the one I look forward to the most. With relatable and likeable characters, a realistic premise, love triangle and an awesome aesthetic, I can’t see it changing.

This episode gave him some much needed context and laid down some important plot points. There’s a lot of unresolved feelings on both sides here and we got to see them take little steps to fix them.

Whew episode flew by as always. Not much Haru :/. But some really emotional moments here and we got to see Shinako and Rou take their first steps towards moving on and a new life.

The scene at the end there with the sakura was particularly beautiful given that Sakura blooming represents the changing of seasons and new life. In japan the sakura falling off the tree is of course a sign of death but is viewed as equally beautiful. Nice imagery. Sorry for rambling, I love this show.

Read your reddit review and I completely agree with you
Apr 25, 2020 3:13 PM
Oct 2019
I tried to feel bad for this guy but who fucking puts a safety pin in their ear? Dude looks like a loser and it honestly annoys me.
Apr 25, 2020 3:20 PM

Mar 2019
Wow. What an episode. Seeing Shinako reminisce on Yuu's belongings genuinely made me tear up, and i'm starting to ship Shinako x Rou more than Shinako x rikuo tbh...
An amazing episode overall, can't wait for next week to be here!
Apr 25, 2020 3:27 PM
Jul 2019
OneofEvil said:
There's no way that this is just me but I really didn't like this episode it was actually painful to watch. Giving the entire episode to the character they made to be unlikeable and trying to show his sad/emotional flashbacks/back story that I cant empathize with because I hate seeing him on the screen making it really hard to pay attention
this is the show I look forward to the most during the week and disappointed, really hope it doesn't stay this way but Id understand if it did

This. Totally agree. I’ve known people like Shinako and who have been in her shoes in real life. All of them are toxic af and subconsciously self absorbed. They continue to do damage to themselves and others for years because they can’t let go of the past. People like her should straight up be avoided no matter how bad you feel for them.
Apr 25, 2020 3:58 PM
Apr 2016
OneofEvil said:

I understand how you feel and I do not know what I can say to make it easier for you. There really do not seem to be a bad character in the story so far. I guess it all comes down to how you are willing to perceive certain characters, you yourself.

This story is complex as is life itself. Everyone has insecurities, and then there are people with big insecurities like every other character in this series. This is just how it happens in life. I am positive there is no cute girl with a crow going around, but the rest of them are simply real, they have happened. I am not sure you should be getting uncomfortable with following characters like these around, but this is the best I can say. I just hope you keep a positive outlook and even though you understand why this series is the way it is, maybe you will even accept it later on.
Re:formed
Apr 25, 2020 4:25 PM

Mar 2008
A bit more "adult" anime and yet the comments are more infantile than average.
Apr 25, 2020 4:27 PM

Nov 2011
Very heavy Shinako and Rou episode. Shinako breaking hearts left and right.

Like on one hand I wanna shake Shinako and scream at her to get over Yuu. However on the other hand I sympathize with her wholeheartedly because the loss of your first love, someone who you have been with for so long is one hell of a loss.

I am actually surprised people didn't like this episode. It had excellent character development in my opinion and the realism was strong.

I'm okay with people saying "it's hard to watch" because of how real it is. But to say it's a bad episode because of that? Ehhhh Idk Sorry if I offend anyone.

PaninaManina said:
A bit more "adult" anime and yet the comments are more infantile than average.

Yerp
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 25, 2020 5:17 PM

Feb 2020
Daniel_Naumov said:
OneofEvil said:

I understand how you feel and I do not know what I can say to make it easier for you. There really do not seem to be a bad character in the story so far. I guess it all comes down to how you are willing to perceive certain characters, you yourself.

This story is complex as is life itself. Everyone has insecurities, and then there are people with big insecurities like every other character in this series. This is just how it happens in life. I am positive there is no cute girl with a crow going around, but the rest of them are simply real, they have happened. I am not sure you should be getting uncomfortable with following characters like these around, but this is the best I can say. I just hope you keep a positive outlook and even though you understand why this series is the way it is, maybe you will even accept it later on.

WOW THANK YOU.. you hit the nail right on the head, I took in.. really took in everything you said and broke down the notions I had built up thinking they were just villains and not caring cause I didn't like them. the second watch I just finished i was actually able to really enjoy and see what this episode had to offer. I noticed A LOT more in this episode than before reinvigorating my love for this show and being able to understand everything in this series better. plus I believe this will actually help me to better enjoy this series in the future. thank youuuu

Apr 25, 2020 5:57 PM

Apr 2018
Episode 4
Had me tearing up when it shows the past of Shinako
I don't know why
Apr 25, 2020 6:26 PM

Mar 2008
Anyone else thinks that the lack of music and very little and very subtle use of music, that you barely notices it's there when it's used, is one of the biggest technical strengths in this adaptation?
I'm thinking more about this because before I watch Yesterday on Saturday I watch Arte that aires a bit earlier and the use of music there is not subtle at all, very heavy handed, with telegraphed emotions for you.
Apr 25, 2020 6:39 PM

Nov 2015
Rou is a decent written character for the reason that his desires from life are unclear so far which makes sense because of his age. i can also comprehend that the fact that he is in the shadow of his brother is very stressful for him. in a psychologically manner that can be very harmful for a kid. other than that i found this episode less touching than the first three.

3/5
Apr 25, 2020 7:15 PM

May 2015
i'm reading the manga at the same time,anime is a bit rushed,they're rearranging things and merging some scenes with others,and in the manga Nonaka drinks and smokes,anime is censured,idk i think i'll stick to the manga and drop the anime,i'll decide with the next episode.
Apr 25, 2020 7:55 PM

Aug 2018
PaninaManina said:
Anyone else thinks that the lack of music and very little and very subtle use of music, that you barely notices it's there when it's used, is one of the biggest technical strengths in this adaptation?

I really like the OST. The use of music to highlight just what they want to and nothing else is really nice. And the ED is great also.
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 25, 2020 9:03 PM
Mar 2015
Shinoko makes you want to rip your heart out
Apr 25, 2020 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Another good episode even if it did kind of feel like the stuff started out of nowhere
Apr 25, 2020 9:19 PM
Apr 2020
Clubby said:
Wow. What an episode. Seeing Shinako reminisce on Yuu's belongings genuinely made me tear up, and i'm starting to ship Shinako x Rou more than Shinako x rikuo tbh...
An amazing episode overall, can't wait for next week to be here!

Makes no sense why you would ship Rou and Shinako literally she’s still thinking of his older brother comparing eachother thinking of him 24/7 would really make no sense even if she moves on it would just be strange just to see her look at the younger brother that way after everything she’s been through with the older brother but not knocking your opinion just saying
Apr 25, 2020 10:22 PM

Jan 2020
The part with shinako comparing ryou with his brother was annoying, but understandable... It's good to see that she started to change, though. In previous episodes she mentioned she didn't cry even once since his death, and that possibly meant she was suppressing her emotions, so now she's finally letting them out. That might be the start of a change for the better
Apr 25, 2020 11:13 PM

Oct 2017
This was the worst episode yet
Apr 25, 2020 11:27 PM

Apr 2019
Pretty good episode this week, can't get enough of it.

I honestly didn't care for Rou's character too much but after watching this episode, I can say that I'm starting to like his character a bit more now.

Looking forward to next week's episodes!
Apr 25, 2020 11:35 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
This Shitnako getting all the guys and she's not even cute. They should just stop chasing her cause she just wants the Dead.
Apr 25, 2020 11:47 PM

Feb 2014
Weekly dose of Haru is here again. Beautiful as ever, Haru still moves on winning hearts.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 26, 2020 12:20 AM

Apr 2020
Even though I really like this show, I must admit, the first half of the episode was really weak when compared to the three before it, direction-wise. I can see why people would say that this episode sucks; it's jarring because at the start, we're thrust into Ryo's perspective, a person who had very minimal screen time but is now put into the "important character" pedestal. Not only that, Ryo "confessed" to Shinako so early in this episode, where in parallel, Rikuo spent most of episode one sorting his own feelings before being rejected.

The second half was absolutely excellent though. It almost feels like they put in all the best parts there than spreading it out.

I really like the real approach to loss; I can say that Shinako is being annoying about her loss, but that's what makes her very real. She's being an idiot, she acknowledges it, even the eraser acknowledges it, but she can't help being one. Though I hope she finds a reason to move on though as the story progresses because she's just painful to watch.

Not an overall fan of Ryo, but hopefully we'll be back to Rikuo's perspective next week.
Apr 26, 2020 12:33 AM
Aug 2017
Wondering who is Shinako voice actor 'till i found out its kana hanazawa..
Best female voice actor ever to me
Apr 26, 2020 12:42 AM

Jun 2013
I'm about to read the manga soon and I'll get more information about the characters as I go but it won't affect my enjoyment from this gem of an Anime. This is one of my favorites this season, I have a favorite per category and this tops them all with its slice-of-life, drama, romance, tragedy, etc. themes.

Personally, I like Rou, I want to know more about him. It hurts being compared to someone, especially an older brother who is no longer there. His brother is dead but he still lives in his shadow. Shinako can't just forget someone and love again instantly, life isn't like that.
臭い-
Apr 26, 2020 1:29 AM

Jul 2016
Man, I feel for that first scene. I have taken face drawing classes using a bust like that and holy shit did I feel outclassed when I started. Still do, more-or-less.

Besides that, I think I'm starting to lose interest in some of these characters. Particularly Shinako and Rou. They just don't hold my attention as well as Haru. This show isn't awful, but I'm starting to think it's not gonna make me love it as much as I thought it would originally.
Apr 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Sep 2018
Out of all the seasonal anime I'm watching, this show has been the best consistently so far. Another great watch, slice of life really is one my favourite genres. 9/10.
Apr 26, 2020 2:30 AM

Jul 2017
A mostly Rou and Shinako-centric episode.

For Shinako who can't get over the older brother Yuu (even after his death), the younger brother Rou has always been under Yuu's shadow, but that by NO means is a replacement for the younger brother who has a crush on Shinako (whom the latter can only see each other as friends).

The little brother that adjourns between his art and Shinako's affection, and Shinako who wants to restart a new life without Yuu around being the weight on her and her family's shoulders, that's a tough feeling to move on.

In the end, the experience of moving on is just too tough for Shinako, and Rou being decisive about his actions, looks ready to take his move.

Looking forward to not just more of the slice-of-life, but of the unfolding events.
Apr 26, 2020 2:41 AM
Jan 2020
I like Rou character a lot. From my point of view, he's already lost when it comes to having a relationship with Shinako. But for some reasons he seems to not see the enormous difference in their personalities, for instance: Shinako can't get rid of the past/ he constantly looks forward to moving on; shinako is more cold and rational/ Rou is expansive and emotional. The list could go on forever. What I'm saying is that this show needs a character like him no matter what. If the two weirdos: Haru and main character, balances themselves with their personalities, then Shinako and Rou serve the same purpose.
p.s: Shinako is really annoying, but I know how hard it is to get over the feelings you bear for such a "lonely" person. Best episode so far
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

446 by Humaneky »»
May 15, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

292 by Fumikko »»
Jun 28, 2023 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.