Forum Settings
Forums

Interview: Miku Ito Charms 'BanG Dream!' Fans at Anime NYC

New
Feb 28, 2020 9:52 AM

Mar 2017

Miku Ito is a rising star, finding success as a voice actress, musical artist, and performer over the better part of a decade. Her breakout performances include portraying Kokoro Tsurumaki of multimedia franchise BanG Dream!'s idol group "Hello, Happy World!" and Misuzu Moritani in last year's Fragtime OVA.

In 2013 Ito landed her first voice acting role, and debuted as a solo singer in 2016. Her sixth single, "Plunderer," was released on February 12, and a blu-ray release of her fifth live performance, "5th Live Miku's Adventures 2019 ~PopSkip Life~," will hit shelves on April 22.

Ito was a special guest at Anime NYC 2019, opening the convention's Masquerade cosplay event with a solo performance as Kokoro, and holding a BanG Dream! panel and Japanese-style meet and greet for her fans. MyAnimeList was able to participate in a group Q&A with Ito to discuss her roles in the BanG Dream! franchise and Fragtime, as well as her journey toward a career in voice acting.

This is your first time in New York; you've met many eager fans who have traveled far and wide to see you. What have you seen and experienced in your weekend here so far?

Because this is my first time visiting New York, I did a bit of sightseeing the day I arrived. From the moment I saw the city, I thought New York was a super cool and stylish city.

In BanG Dream!, Kokoro has a card that reveals her family name, as opposed to how much money is left on the card. If you had such a card in Japan, where would you go?

A card you can buy anything with… If I had that sort of card, I'd want to go to a big island and get in touch with nature.

How would you say you are similar and different from Kokoro? If you had a big mansion like her, what would you fill it with?

Kokoro and I are similar in that we both like picture books and seeing people smile. An aspect that differs between us is that she is extremely positive. I'm not saying I'm negative, just not as positive as she is. If I had a huge mansion, I'd want to start an ice cream shop in it.

What kind of preparation did it take to perform the role of Kokoro in BanG Dream!?

I had many discussions with the [BanG Dream!] staff regarding Kokoro prior to voicing her character, so by the time we recorded I was prepared. She's a rich girl, so she's a bit out of touch with society; she's positive, but there are particular feelings/sentiments she holds that differ from other people, and I took care in bringing this to the role.

Hello, Happy World! has an expansive library of songs, both original and covers. Which are your favorite to perform live and are there any that you haven't performed yet that you'd like to one day?

"High Five ∞ Adventure" is a fun song to sing and perform. Especially with live performances—I hear the fans shouting back, and it's a lot of fun to sing together with them.

Is there a particular band or song from overseas that you'd like to cover with Hello, Happy World!?

I'm not very familiar with overseas music… happy, happy, happy… a song that makes me feel happy would be nice. I do like the show Hannah Montana and would love to sing one of her songs.

Is Kokoro's love of reading a trait you share? If so, what's a book you've read recently?

Books I've read recently would be Japanese, if that's okay. There was one story about a pianist. I'm not familiar with piano at all, but it was interesting. I really love reading books.

How would you describe Kokoro's musical style in BanG Dream!?

A characteristic of Hello, Happy World! songs are melodies which make you want to have fun. Singing as Kokoro, I also have a lot of fun while recording. I think that transmitting that happy feeling to everyone who hears the music is a great thing.

As lead vocalist, which one of Hello, Happy World!'s songs was most challenging, and conversely, which came most naturally to you?

There are many Hello, Happy World!'s covers that I have to sing lots of words very quickly; those are difficult. I think the hardest one was "GO! GO! MANIAC" from K-ON!!.

Other than Kokoro, there are so many wonderful BanG Dream! characters. Do you have any favorites from the game?

I like everyone, it's a difficult question. She's in the same band but my heart throbs for Kaoru-chan, I think every girl shares this opinion.

An appealing aspect of BanG Dream! is that the seiyuu will perform the same instruments live as their characters do in the show, but Kokoro doesn't play an instrument. Supposing it was okay for Kokoro to play an instrument, what would you want to play?

If I could play an instrument it'd be the bass. It seems pretty cool and really popular.

Like your character from BanG Dream!, do you also find great motivation in seeing smiles and making fans happy during your performances?

I always do. I'm glad to hear that people find the productions interesting and have fun listening to the songs. Because I receive smiles from everyone, I want to work my best to give smiles to them, too.

You and producer Yusuke Tarada premiered the OVA Fragtime at Anime NYC. For those who couldn't make it to the panel, what can you tell us about the story and your role in the anime?

Fragtime is about cute girls getting along really well, and that's nice and all, but there's also a very human darkness present in the work, and I think that will stay in everyone's hearts after watching it. My character, Misuzu, is a very shy girl, and she can't really speak her mind well. But she's also mentally strong, and watching her grow is one of the main attractions of the work. I hope people will like that aspect.

Regarding Fragtime, could you give us any details or discuss any experiences from joining the project? Any memorable moments you'd like to share?

Typically during the recording process for anime, you sync the voices with the art, but there's a scene in Fragtime where we had to act without images. They were later added to our acting, it was such a cool experience.

When did you realize you wanted to become a performer? Was it a dream from your childhood? And what steps did you take to make that dream come true?

It's a long story, but as a kid I loved watching dramas and plays. Later, when I was a student, I had an anime-loving friend. That friend taught me many things about anime, and at this time I discovered that you can have a career as a voice actor. I was charmed by their singing and acting, so I wanted to make it in voice acting.

I took part in an audition, I don't know how or why but I passed (laughs), and then I started voice actor training for about a year. From there, I attended more newcomer auditions, and around a year after I started, I landed my first role. And now I'm here.

You talked about how, after you passed your first audition, you spent about a year working on your voice acting. Can you talk about what you learned during that year?

I started by building my body. It might not look like it from what you see here, but first I built my body. To be able to speak skillfully I also needed to practice my articulation. I wasn't very persuasive when I spoke, I needed to train (laughs). Every day was difficult because we only worked on things I didn't know about.

In Fragtime, your character's girlfriend, Murakami, often asks Misuzu to use her powers for her (Murakami's) benefit. What would you say the positive aspects of their relationship are?

Something I like about Murakami is that she's mysterious. She's a very kind person who tries to appeal to everyone around her. From the beginning I thought she should have had more confidence. That's how charming she is as a character.

After working on Fragtime, which moments are you most proud of that you'd really like the audience to see?

At the very end of Fragtime, Haruka and Misuzu sort of collide emotionally. Because I put everything into performing that scene, I definitely want the audience to see it.

The characters you portray in Fragtime (Misuzu) and BanG Dream! (Kokoro) are very different. What do you do to prepare for the different roles?

Between the two, I have a lot more in common with Misuzu, so it took a lot more time to prepare for my role as Kokoro. Because Misuzu and I are fairly similar emotionally, I was speaking from the heart.

If you could stop time for only 3 minutes, what would you do?

If we're talking about this moment—because I'm famished right now, If I could stop time for three minutes, I'd go to the catering section downstairs and eat some cookies.

Do you have a favorite genre of anime?

Battles! I like heroes, and really anything with battles and explosions, I like that sort of action in anime.

Is Anime NYC different from events you've attended in the past?

Probably above all, guests at events in Japan are different. There are a lot of shy people in Japan, but in New York everyone is super energetic and talkative.

Is there anything you'd like to say to your fans in New York?

To all my fans in New York, thank you so much for such a warm welcome during my first trip to NY. I'm so happy. While I want to return for work, I'd also really like to spend some free time here on my own.

Feb 28, 2020 9:53 AM
Apr 2016
Ha-ha imPerfectBlue writing about idols. The irony, hope she stays safe and gets better.
Re:formed
Feb 28, 2020 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Such a sweet girl!

The photo with the fans in the background looks a bit creepy...
Feb 28, 2020 10:30 AM

Mar 2012
It's practically blasphemy that there are no mention of Michelle anywhere in the interview.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 28, 2020 10:42 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh, I've become a fan of her ever since her role as Miku Nakano from 5-toubun so it's nice to see an interview from her. And as always, great work and keep it up MAL!

Sounds like she started off with a lot in hand, I'm glad she has persisted and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her roles in the near future.

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 28, 2020 10:58 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Those are a lot of questions. Glad to see she powered through it - she's a real trooper! In comparison, she seems a bit more down to earth, which is awesome.

I should watch Fragtime sometime.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Feb 2013
Miku is so sweet and beautiful.
Feb 28, 2020 11:48 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Excellent interview and while there were quite a number of questions the answers that Miku gave sure proved insightful. Its nice that she's managing to do so well in different fields. Having heard both her voice in voice acting as well as her singing voice i believe she will go far in her careers. I still remember her role as Miku in Go Tobun a role that's still memorable to me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2020 12:56 AM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
Miku chan is so cute <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2020 5:28 AM

Dec 2018
Aww you are so cute!!! Looking forward to Fragtime!! And she have been in a lot of other Yuri anime's!! Really like her and her voice, she is awesome!!

Feb 29, 2020 6:46 AM
May 2018
So, I guess I am the only one who hates her...
Feb 29, 2020 8:39 AM

Aug 2013
Damn, she's 👀.
Mar 5, 2020 6:07 PM

Apr 2012
_MushiRock11_ said:
Oh, I've become a fan of her ever since her role as Miku Nakano from 5-toubun so it's nice to see an interview from her. And as always, great work and keep it up MAL!

Sounds like she started off with a lot in hand, I'm glad she has persisted and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her roles in the near future.

Unsurprisingly, she said she loved Miku, so staff knew right away which choice would be the best :). She is the only relatively young actor in this cast, so it was a serious challenge and she did it. It's a shame that not everyone truly appreciates this, loving her only for an yuri bait or idol anime.
Mar 5, 2020 9:11 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
RobertBobert said:
Unsurprisingly, she said she loved Miku, so staff knew right away which choice would be the best :). She is the only relatively young actor in this cast, so it was a serious challenge and she did it. It's a shame that not everyone truly appreciates this, loving her only for an yuri bait or idol anime.

Well, I've being seeing a lot of praise for her CV of Miku Nakano here on MAL and over on Twitter actually. But yeah, the point stands, no doubt that her performance was amazing and she deserves all the credit she gets for it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

More topics from this board

» Voice Actors Minami Tsuda, Tatsumaru Tachibana Announce Marriage

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

1 by HeroVladimir93 »»
40 minutes ago

» 'Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 3rd Season' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Promo for Second Cour

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo' Season 2 Reveals Additional Cast, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Yarinaoshi Reijou wa Ryuutei Heika wo Kouryakuchuu' Unveils Additional Cast for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Shoushimin Series' Unveils Additional Staff, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by KitsuFrost »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.