Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2020 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aye, one of the shows I've been excited to see this season. With the scene on the train, it starts with Iroha and Kuroe fighting some mysterious creature.

Episode also detailed some of Iroha's everyday life and her goal to find her sister. Of course, we have the idea of Witches being part of the show as I had expected. Shaft's animation style returns with brings a refreshing look at the show. I'm impressed. First episode is setting up a lot of this series.
Jan 4, 2020 7:26 AM

Dec 2017
QB interfered in the witch hunt? interesting action during this episode, especially during Yachiyo's appearance. quite a bit of mindfuckery too, seems later on will be some interesting plot reveals

feels like a madoka show, smells like a madoka show, some of that shaft spice. what's there more to say? gonna keep watching it
Jan 4, 2020 7:27 AM

Feb 2018
It seems there is nothing special in this episode, it seems that Iroha is going through her days normally. Cooking in the morning, her mother is away, preparing to go to school, and eating food on the roof of the school. Finally I can see Kyubei again :) After all this time. Look like

Looks like Iroha had difficulty facing Majo this time. It seems that Kyubei wanted to help Iroha but Kyubei just jumped and was embraced by Iroha, immediately Iroha's face suddenly turned into a kind of demon.

https://i.ibb.co/pRY849h/IMG-20200104-222309.jpg
and also this time Majo was defeated, but Iroha got a favor. Although they could not do anything but it seems that the three of them managed to defeat Majo.

Mod Edit: Unembedded second picture, please only embed one picture in Series discussion threads
Fleeting_DreamJan 6, 2020 7:36 AM
Jan 4, 2020 8:01 AM
Dec 2015
Magia record is definitely one of the candidates for AoTY
Jan 4, 2020 8:36 AM
Dec 2017
I wonder if the beginning of the episode (two narrating girls) might be a reference to Utena (panel before ED seems to confirm it?).
Also - seems despite all their problems, Shaft still got it (maybe because original director is here?).
My guess - Tamaki's sister was turning into a witch, and since it's not possible to get someone back, Kyuubei just erased/moved to another realm.
SondferJan 4, 2020 8:59 AM
Jan 4, 2020 8:39 AM

Jan 2018
Now to wait for the subs so I can actually understand what I just watched, lmao

On another note, it's great that they're using pieces from the original OST. I would've been extremely disappointed if they ditched Kajiura's soundtrack entirely, but they're definitely staying true to the atmosphere of the original. Man, I really hope this ends up being good and not another Steins;Gate 0 incident.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 4, 2020 8:54 AM

Nov 2007
I blame myself for getting the airing time mixed up. It should be the same as SAO and not Kono Oto Tomare from last season.

Starting the ep. w. that soundtrack is already too epic. Parents leaving their daughter alone, but with her own wish, but she seems lonely. Her teacher is enthusiastic, or overly enthusiastic.

Original character who is voiced by Hanazawa-san's character is one of those who saw the dream of the rumor...

OP (aired as ED this ep.) was ok.
tsubasaloverJan 11, 2020 7:30 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 4, 2020 8:59 AM

Mar 2019
So it still hasn't dropped on Funimation... How are people watching it?

This is my first time watching an anime premiere so I don't know how this stuff works.
Jan 4, 2020 9:08 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
26 episodes this is going to be great.
Jan 4, 2020 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
Should I watch this if I did not watch the original Madoka?
Jan 4, 2020 9:10 AM

Sep 2015
Nox0s said:

This is my first time watching an anime premiere so I don't know how this stuff works.

It's on Aniplus in my region

Anyway pretty good starting episode, already better than the original series. Only thing ticking me is that it doesn't feel real for parents leaving their daughter alone like that but that's pretty minor and necessary for the plot.
Beautiful animation and graphics, amazing soundtrack, and classic Shaft style. I don't regret overhyping this show (also the game gives a lot of freebies thanks to the airing anime lol)
Jan 4, 2020 9:13 AM

Mar 2019
aspaknyaa said:
Nox0s said:

Anyway pretty good starting episode, already better than the original series. Only thing ticking me is that it doesn't feel real for parents leaving their daughter alone like that but that's pretty minor and necessary for the plot.
Beautiful animation and graphics, amazing soundtrack, and classic Shaft style. I don't regret overhyping this show (also the game gives a lot of freebies thanks to the airing anime lol)
aspaknyaa said:
Nox0s said:

Is it eng subbed on Aniplus?
Jan 4, 2020 9:29 AM

Sep 2017
I wonder why it's not up on Funimation yet. Their website says 10:30 am central...
Jan 4, 2020 9:30 AM
Nov 2018
The pacing seems pretty off to me - the jumping between various scenes seems to missing transitions. Is this an artifact of transitioning game scenes into a continuous animation?

The story is intriguing and it has definitely the potential to turn into a good product, but I fear Magia Record will be pretty polarizing to Madoka fans who aren't playing the game.
Jan 4, 2020 9:42 AM

Feb 2015
Watched raw, so I didn't get most of the story stuff, but I loved it for its visuals alone. Iroha is too cute.

RobertBobert said:

I don't know why you would, unless you also play the game.
Jan 4, 2020 9:42 AM

Sep 2015
Nox0s said:

Is it eng subbed on Aniplus?

Yes it's English subbed but it's a TV not VoD idk if you can watch it outside of the schedule
Jan 4, 2020 9:45 AM

Apr 2012
Milennin said:
Watched raw, so I didn't get most of the story stuff, but I loved it for its visuals alone. Iroha is too cute.

RobertBobert said:

I just want to get acquainted with the franchise, so I wonder if watching this show requires an initial introduction to the original.
Jan 4, 2020 9:47 AM

Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Milennin said:

I just want to get acquainted with the franchise, so I wonder if watching this show requires an initial introduction to the original.

Watch the original, it'a classic for a reason. Pretty short too.

I'm not familiar with the plot of the game this new one is based on but I'd be surprised if it doesn't spoil aspects of the plot in the original. Seriously, do not take that risk.
Jan 4, 2020 9:49 AM

Apr 2012
Nox0s said:
RobertBobert said:

Watch the original, it'a classic for a reason.

I'm not familiar with the plot of the game this new one is based on but I'd be surprised if it doesn't spoil aspects of the plot in the original. Seriously, do not take that risk.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to watch the original shows and films until the end of the first cour.
Jan 4, 2020 9:51 AM

Sep 2015
RobertBobert said:

I think you should watch the original first. You'll be missing some things like "why is it like this" or the background behind magical girls. Also it's a highly praised series worth watching even if you didn't plan to get acquainted to the franchise.

Edit: watch the movie if you don't have much spare time, it's a recap of the whole anime and it's sequel
Jan 4, 2020 9:51 AM

Feb 2015
RobertBobert said:
Milennin said:

I wouldn't say it requires it, since it's a side story and only loosely tied to the original, but I'd imagine it to be better if you're familiar with the original. Also, the original is pretty good, and only 12 episodes long, so it's not a bad time investment.
MilenninJan 4, 2020 10:29 AM
Jan 4, 2020 9:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not bad for a first episode. I hope this series will bring something different to the table to separate it from the original series.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 4, 2020 9:55 AM

Apr 2012
Jan 4, 2020 10:01 AM

Mar 2019
There are now at least a couple HD uploads to Youtube w/ Eng subs FWIW.

Jan 4, 2020 10:09 AM

Dec 2018
This looks pretty good so far, I can definitely see some cool twists and turns coming up.
Jan 4, 2020 10:30 AM

Feb 2019
It's finally up on Funi! Took an an age, hate how they have this agreement with Aniplex. Should have been CR.

Madoka stans we here! Episode is absolutely gorgeous as you'd expect from SHAFT, stunning visuals, solid direction, fluid animation, great OST and looks like the OP and ED will be great too. Really really excited for the rest of the series, 26 episodes and I'm going to love every one of them. Only concern is this will be SHAFT's longest project in a while, hopefully they can stick the landing.

Happy New Year!
Marinate1016Jan 4, 2020 10:54 AM
Jan 4, 2020 10:35 AM

Oct 2017
It's finally here and the start was pretty good. This is pretty similar to the original so expecting a lot. The ost was great and we already have some mysteries at hand. Also since this is gonna be two cour I'm guessing the twists will start in the second cour.
MegamiRemJan 4, 2020 11:10 AM
Jan 4, 2020 10:41 AM

Nov 2016
Alright start. Atmospheric as the original series and gets an extra point for playing the familiar OST. Got some interesting visuals as well.

Looking forward to the rest, even more now knowing that it's double cour.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2020 10:44 AM

Sep 2017
It looks pretty good. I particularly liked the detailed background art of the urban environment. The architectural design looks pretty convincing and they've clearly done research on the newest trend in architectural style.

As for the story, I liked how one of the girl made a wish for going out with her crush and regretted it. It seems like the show is going to stick to the Dostoevskian themes of the original: happiness is not going to be attained just by satisfying the desires (whether juvenile or noble) we have.

As a spin-off and a mobile game adaptation it has every reason to become a bad imitation of the original, but the first episode does get me hyped up. Let's hope it's gonna be a good show.
Jan 4, 2020 10:50 AM

Aug 2019
Exactly what I wanted. Adding a new touch while keeping the same atmosphere as the original. Music, animation and visuals were all amazing. Witch fights were just as good as we remeber them. Great start into 2020, really looking forward to it.
Jan 4, 2020 10:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good first episode, it looks like so much to the first Madoka so it's nice
Jan 4, 2020 10:58 AM
Jan 2019
Glad they are using old OSTs, great start with visuals.. can't wait to see more :D
Jan 4, 2020 11:01 AM

Jun 2019
LOL. I found some pedobear jokes when Tamaki Iroha and Kyubei watching circus.

Thanks to Shaft. What a beautiful animation and sound! I really love their works.
Again, i can watching good show at my weekend!

Hmm seems cliche when MC's parents leave their kids alone.

I give this 9/10 for first impression.
Jan 4, 2020 11:03 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I really didn't know what to expect from this, especially with the original Madoka still probably being my favourite anime of all time, but... I'm positively surprised so far. That was actually really fucking good and definitely brought back the same kind of vibe as the original did so far

Of course it can never have the same surprise factor stylistically as the original did but putting the bar that high would always be unreasonable. But either way this was a lot better than I expected. Can only hope it continues then
Jan 4, 2020 11:20 AM

Aug 2019
BRUH WHEN THE EPISODE STARTED AND THAT SONG CAME ON
Jan 4, 2020 11:25 AM

Aug 2018
Iroha sure remembered her sister waaay faster than I thought she would lol

It's really beautiful so far, excited for next week's ep
Jan 4, 2020 11:33 AM

Mar 2019
Definitely didn't suck me in like the first episode of the original did but I'm going to try to moderate my expectations. As long as this is is "pretty good" I'll be happy. I do hope the MC isn't discount Madoka though, her self doubt is very reminiscent of Madoka. Her family relationship is clearly the polar opposite though so that's good.

Art is great as expected though a couple shots had some CG lightposts or something that were kinda ugly. That may be part of the Witch influence though and a deliberate stylistic choice.

I like that they're kept the surreal, minimalist, near future aesthetic of the original.

If nothing else this should be a visual feast.
Nox0sJan 4, 2020 11:40 AM
Jan 4, 2020 11:35 AM
May 2019
Wow this was amazing!!!
Artstyle and animation are fantastic and I absolutely love the OST can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 4, 2020 11:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, it certainly brought back the vibe from the original series with the similarly stylistic narrative approach.

Iroha’s realisation there in the end was a little startling to say the least but I’m looking forward to seeing where this is going! Op visuals suggested that Ui and Iroha might have merged or something of the sort though, I wonder what that’s all about.

Interesting new cast so far, on first glance by the way. A lot about Iroha somehow really resonated Madoka, I felt. Kyuubi missing from the suspicious town definitely doesn’t sound like a positive thing lol. Best to keep that little thing in check.

God, the Ost at the start within the first minute though. Lol, I totally knew I was in a ride of depression, pain and suffering right then from the get-go. I’m really glad Shaft is preserving the artstyle and delivering with the animation quality so far, on another note. Here’s to hoping they’ll be able to keep it up for 26 episodes!

Pretty nice Op with charming visuals and a soothing song!

Looking forward to more! I was highly looking forward to this for a while now so it’s great to see this off on a great start.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 4, 2020 12:00 PM

May 2019
I loved the episode, i was afraid that they would miss everything that made the original great(i didn't play the game) and just make something like Mahou Shoujo Site, hopefully it doesn't turn into something like that later on. Im also conflicted with the fact that this spin-off is gonna be longer than original Madoka, but with this being adapted from a game i assume that they have a lot of content to adapt.
Jan 4, 2020 12:01 PM

Dec 2014
What? Shaft actually making anime? What is this? 2017?

Anyway, this was very nice. Has very familiar vibes to the original. I have not played the game but I think I'll still be able to have fun watching this.

Not sure what to expect from this story wise but the atmosphere and setting has been excited for what's to come. They did kind of set up some mystery towards the very end and the direction is nice too. OST is fantastic, looks like they kept the OST?

I'm gonna be nitpicky about one thing, I think the hood doesn't suit Tamaki in her magical girl form, it's not bad but I feel like she'd look better with the hood down.

Jan 4, 2020 12:07 PM

Jan 2015
Fantastic first episode, love this already as much as the original
Jan 4, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2017
I'd say it was an interesting start to a new series. Although it is a spin-off and we won't get to see anything completely new or game-changing, it is still interesting to see, where all this is going. To me it seems like some interesting goals for the series have been set, although we might get to them earlier than expected. Maybe there will be more sub-plots as there will be 26 episodes. Apart from that I am very happy to see the same style again, it would have been out of place, if it would look different. The background-artworks were amazing and also the character-designs reminds me of other character-designs in the Madoka-franchise. But I still got the impression, that there were some changes, seeing the witches maze felt different from before.

From what we have seen so far it seems, the main characters don't seem to be as interesting as I hoped, but we haven't seen so much yet, so there will probably be improvements in the future; if not that would be really disappointing. This also counts for the whole episode, as it wasn't bad, but there was no point where I thought of watching a really good show, the start seemed really slow and there was nothing that hooked me from the beginning. I hope this changes in the next few episode.
Jan 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Mar 2016
Ahh yes, let's dive into this acid trip yet again, sponsored by ours truly, SHAFT.

Jan 4, 2020 12:21 PM

Jul 2017
I'm surprised they revealed Ui so fast. I also thought the atmosphere of the show would be more light hearted but here we are and I absolutely love it.

Who needs to read translations when there's an actual show lol ty Shaft

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Jan 4, 2020 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Fisonnra said:
Magia record is definitely one of the candidates for AoTY

lol seriously? after a single episode?
Jan 4, 2020 12:33 PM

Dec 2018
The animation was weird but unique I kind if like it

Music was so fucking good I love it!!!

I have never been more confused in my life wtf is going on.And it was dark I dont like dark I like happy girls,But it was pure no stupid girl talk about boys,,,Great!!

Then my angels fought a ??? What in the holy name of ass is that thing? It looks like birthday cake mixed cookie monster!!,,,,,,omg! Then the rat start to sing!!!! Ok?

And in the end Kuroe was holding her girlfriend!! It was soo cute!!! Awwwww you love her dont you honey!!! You two lesbians are adorable together!!,,YEES!!!

It was confusing and dark but pure fun and even have some Yuri vibes!!! Great start!! I give stupid ass anime 7/10

Yuri-CrusaderJan 5, 2020 9:18 AM
Jan 4, 2020 12:39 PM
Jun 2019
Anyone else notice how in the OP (ED in this episode) there was a frame with the original cast of Madoka?
Jan 4, 2020 12:50 PM

Sep 2017
Very good first episode, the beautiful art is maintained and the atmosphere feels the same, the OST as always is beautiful ... hoping to get to know new girls better.

2020 starts well with the return of Madoka, even if it is a spin/off.
Jan 4, 2020 12:52 PM

Oct 2010
Iruha, become Meguha!
(anime edition)

Madoka was mahou shoujo genre deconstruction and mind breaker to some extent but there were quite a lot of followers afterwards(e.g. Granbelm as latest one).
Can this 'sequel' be something as impactful?
Hard to say.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

15 by salarx »»
May 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.