Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 1, 2019 7:24 PM

Mar 2016
Is it worth? I didnt sign up for this shit but come to find out theres 8 episodes of this. With little differences apparently. At first I thought, oh this is just a joke, then everyone in the comments just said to either skip it or drop the series entirely.

I dont skip and I HATE dropping anything. So Ill endure regardless, but if anyone has seen this arc what are your thoughts on it? thx <3
Dec 1, 2019 7:25 PM

Sep 2018
I recommend watching the first episode and the last episode of the Endless Eight, but I honestly think that they can be skipped altogether.

It has been a while since I watched the series though.
Blanks.
Dec 1, 2019 7:26 PM

Jan 2018
If you don't watch all the episodes then you're a coward.

jk, there are lists out there with all the unique scenes but basically you're fine with watching the first and last ep and you can even skip half of the last one. personally I watch Haruhi as a episode of a day thing so watching each episode of endless 8 isn't that bad.
Don't listen to people who have anime characters as their profile pic.
Dec 1, 2019 7:31 PM
Mar 2018
I'm probably remembering it wrong but the most differences are in the 7th and 8th ones, but more so the 8th that actually continues the series. The rest is the animators taking a day off, or weeks off looking at the usual schedule for anime
Dec 1, 2019 7:32 PM

Jan 2018
I watched all of Endless Eight and I wouldn't even let someone with the worst takes on the planet subject themselves to that torture
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 1, 2019 7:43 PM

May 2009
Wallanimx said:
Is it worth? I didnt sign up for this shit but come to find out theres 8 episodes of this. With little differences apparently. At first I thought, oh this is just a joke, then everyone in the comments just said to either skip it or drop the series entirely.

I dont skip and I HATE dropping anything. So Ill endure regardless, but if anyone has seen this arc what are your thoughts on it? thx <3

I watched all of it and loved it.

If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong mood for really appreciating it. It's not the kind of thing that you can breeze through just to know what happens. You can read the wiki or the million opinions online to know that.

You have to want to experience it. Then you'll actually appreciate stuff like the various subtle differences in the way things are portrayed. Every episode was animated separately, for what it's worth, so it's not just that different things happen each episode, but that they literally look different too.

Or, alternatively, if you enjoy picking out details like these, then you'll have a lot to chew on during the ride.

Maybe I liked it so much because I went into it knowing what would happen, but then again, so do you now.

Also, I love Kyon's line "Something's...wrong." And I really appreciate how every episode increases the feeling of anxiety.

I think there's nothing else quite like it in all of anime. It's that weird. And fun, IMO.

Some days I kinda wish that they actually reused the same animation for every episode, except the plot elements that differed, making it even more eerily similar and striking, but I don't think they could have gotten away with that. Besides, that would have made even more people angry.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 1, 2019 7:54 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 1, 2019 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
Yes it's worth it.

Check it out in bunches of 2-3 episodes (if not all at once) and watch it shift gears.

It contributes very finely to the anime's grand finale.
Dec 1, 2019 7:46 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ironically the movie making arc that came immediately after it was exponentially more infuriating to me than the Endless Eight could've ever hoped to have been

Dec 1, 2019 7:47 PM

Jan 2018
Manaban said:
Ironically the movie making arc that came immediately after it was exponentially more infuriating to me than the Endless Eight could've ever hoped to have been

Honestly I agree, the filming arc was so boring and could have been a single or two episodes.
Dec 1, 2019 7:52 PM

May 2009
Chandela said:
Yes it's worth it.

Check it out in bunches of 2-3 episodes (if not all at once) and watch it shift gears.

What order did you watch the episodes in?
Dec 1, 2019 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Chandela said:
Yes it's worth it.

I prefer the chronological order. Makes you go 'wow, these guys have only known each other for like 8 months', and I really enjoy that perspective.
Dec 1, 2019 8:20 PM

May 2009
Chandela said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I prefer the chronological order. Makes you go 'wow, these guys have only known each other for like 8 months', and I really enjoy that perspective.
Doesn't that put the movie-making at the end of the show, though? (With like one more episode of an epilogue after that I think.) I remember that being the result I ended up with when I watched them in chronological order. Or, whatever the episode label order is.
Dec 1, 2019 8:31 PM

Mar 2016
So just to add to this in case Im missing something. Is every episode in order or should I watch in a particular order instead?
Dec 1, 2019 8:34 PM

Jan 2018
Wallanimx said:
So just to add to this in case Im missing something. Is every episode in order or should I watch in a particular order instead?

"season 2" is basically all the episodes in chronological order and endless 8 is a part of that, while some die hard fans swear by "season 1" which is "out of order" and missing some episodes I personally like watching it as "season 2" and generally that's the order the episodes are in. also the episodes made for season 2 have a better op imo.
Dec 1, 2019 8:37 PM

Nov 2007
I have seen many popular reviewer bashing it but for me, it was totally worth it. In fact, it gives you a whole new perspective.

It gives the concluding movie a whole new dimension and becomes one of the key reasons why I consider Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu as the pinnacle of storytelling.

The Endless Eight as a standalone can be considered unnecessary but it helps you venture into the mind of Nagato Yuki in the subsequent movie.

Those who couldn't manage to love Endless Eight have no right to say they loved the movie.

This is why I believe Kyoto Animation is a special studio. They did the same with Tamako Love Story. Casually showcasing the life of an ordinary girl in Tamako Market who basically had confined herself subconsciously in a routine life of looking after her motherless family, meeting and greeting the people in her shopping district and ideally spending time with her friends.

Her confining to her little world was her way of limiting herself as a person so that she could fill in the roles of the mother for her little sister - An and prepare herself as the future owner of her father's mochi-shop.

Tamako Love Story breaks the Tamako of Tamako Market and lets her experience the bitterness of coffee - i.e. the harsh reality of growing up.

Just an example to give you an idea why Endless Eight will really make your experience of the movie significantly better. But you'll have to have the ability to watch the anime carefully and understand why it was even created.

You have to pay a lot of attention to Kyoto Animation shows. They do not tell stories in a conventional way that is easy to digest. The reason why the anime from Kyoto Animation is not everyone's cup of tea because anime fans these days have short attention span and cannot separate good shows from very good shows and from very good shows to excellent or masterpieces.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 1, 2019 8:37 PM

Jul 2012
I actually thought it was a pretty neat arc. Sure it was super trolley in its execution but I generally thought it was all in good fun.
Granted I was also extremely into the series so I personally enjoyed trying to spot any subtle differences in the episodes. Also yeah it plays a pretty decent development role leading up to the movie at least as a notable reference point for the viewer.
Dec 1, 2019 8:42 PM

Oct 2013
In, my opinion it's not worth it. Those felt like the longest eight episodes I have ever watched and the whole experience did not help my opinion of the series, which was already fairly low to begin with. But since I'm not really a big fan of Hauruhi, the character or the show, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.
FanofActionDec 1, 2019 8:46 PM
Dec 1, 2019 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
I wholeheartedly agree. Season 2 was a bit of a train wreck tbh.

Re: endless 8, I watched the first four, then I got bored and skipped to the last one. If you're enjoying watching all of it then go ahead by all means, but if the arc is a chore for you, then know that you can easily skip most episodes as they don't add anything new to the story. And cheer up, you have the movie to look forward to. I'm jealous honestly!
Dec 1, 2019 8:47 PM

Jan 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Chandela said:
Doesn't that put the movie-making at the end of the show, though? (With like one more episode of an epilogue after that I think.) I remember that being the result I ended up with when I watched them in chronological order. Or, whatever the episode label order is.
Yeah it does. The movie was also what I was referring to as the "finale" in that sense.
Dec 1, 2019 8:49 PM

Jun 2019
It's worth it if you both really like or love the series and its characters from what is established well enough already and/or you are in the minority today of people who have a long attention span for slow-going and repetitive things. But don't get the confused notion that most of its runtime is going to necessarily lead to some overwhelming excitement or lightbulb moment since there's a lot of sameness you could technically just read about in theory.

If you skip most or skip any, make sure you watch the first and last one, as well as preferably the second and second to last ones. So you could realistically halve it without losing much value of the experience, as those are the episodes with some of the most notable changes/transitions and sense of disquiet or acknowledgment of the time loop anyway.

It's best for:

1) Those with infinite attention spans

2) Hardcore Haruhi fanatics

3) Those interested in animation and animation history, to see a studio engage in a little self-indulgence
WatchTillTandavaDec 1, 2019 8:55 PM
Dec 1, 2019 8:54 PM

Aug 2017
If you want to torture yourself with repetitiveness then go for it. There are only slightly minor changes in every episode. Watch two or three episodes and if you can't stand it go straight to the finish line. I wouldn't harbor anyone who doesn't do the same. It is a train wreck especially when you find out the whole reason at the end.
Dec 1, 2019 9:24 PM

May 2009
Wallanimx said:
There's like three different episode orders: one is chronological order, and one is broadcast order, and one is DVD order (of which there are two, due to DVD sets).

I think if you pick up an episode set these days it'll default to chronological order, I think.

Though it's kinda organzied into arcs, so as long as you (1) early on know that Haruhi is not interested in ordinary people, but only wants to meet aliens, espers, and time-travelers, and (2) watch Endless Eight in order, everything should make sense anyway.

Amusingly, I watched it near-chronologically, but skipped an episode by mistake, in one of the other arcs.

GamerDLM said:
I actually thought it was a pretty neat arc. Sure it was super trolley in its execution but I generally thought it was all in good fun.
Granted I was also extremely into the series so I personally enjoyed trying to spot any subtle differences in the episodes. Also yeah it plays a pretty decent development role leading up to the movie at least as a notable reference point for the viewer.
Yeah, I played spot-the-difference too.
Dec 1, 2019 9:37 PM
Sep 2010
It helps you understand the pain of Yuki, just rush it
Dec 1, 2019 9:53 PM

Nov 2019
I watched this arc airing so it was actually weeks of dealing with Endless Eight. I think it's an interesting arc and personally my bad opinion is that anyone who wants to be a true weeb has to deal with EE as a rite of passage. But then I'm also a Haruhi fanboy so shrug.emoji I guess.

It kind of is a performative experience, and I like how it makes the viewers feel a bit of the pain. Plus you have to admit at the time it was absolutely ballsy to actually air this arc.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Dec 1, 2019 10:04 PM

May 2018
The whole season is not worth watching. Go straight for the movie. If you do want to "endure", watch one episode of "the eight" and skip others, they are literally the same, just Haruhi's ribbon changes lol

Dec 1, 2019 10:04 PM

Jan 2011
Watch them all unless you're a coward!
Dec 1, 2019 11:18 PM
May 2019
Wow interesting timing I'm watching Haruhi Suzumiya right now.
As soon as I finish 1st season I will give it a shoot since I liked Tatami Galaxy and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Dec 2, 2019 12:56 AM
Jul 2018
at least every episode has the boys in swimtrunks and the girls in swimsuits at some point
but really beyond subtleties im not sure it bears watching all of them unless you're a detailfag like me who would be amused if kyoani animated a fly landing on someone's skin as long as the animation quality was decent
Dec 2, 2019 2:10 AM

Jul 2016
I appreciate the arguments for why it's good, sort've like an art piece, and I generally agree with those arguments too, but it's still not something I'm evil enough to recommend to people.
Dec 2, 2019 3:36 AM

May 2014
Thread moved from anime discussion
Dec 5, 2019 5:11 AM

Oct 2017
Endless Eight was starting to get into my nerves at like the 4th episode. The only reason that I didn't skip the whole shit was because I only wanted to see Haruhi in different bikinis.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Mar 10, 2021 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
I was one of the brave men... or bored men take your pick who sat through all 8 episodes, don't regret a thing
Jun 6, 2021 2:01 PM
Dec 2017
the worst thing thats happened ever in human history.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

293 by AbrahamGAGA2002 »»
Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 18, 2009

204 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 6, 9:44 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1540 by nicosb2810 »»
Jun 5, 7:43 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.